Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
In what world do you replace a giant, flaming badass bird of prey with basic archers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Isn't Turin not only good, but he also isn't boring or a complete rear end in a top hat.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

As someone who doesn't know too much about the lore or tabletop, looking at game 3's likely faction list sounds depressing, it's got two Chaos factions and I really don't find them cool, especially after batshit insane ratmen and dinosaurs.

I just hope the Ogre Kingdoms are cool. Unironic grimdark factions are the worst.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

sassassin posted:

Very nearly named this mod White Pride in honour of SFO.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1197058313

I've seen it said a few times in the thread that the SFO maker is a nazi, what did the guy do? I'm not up to date with my lovely game modders.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

peer posted:

Just fuckin google it dude. He's a literal nazi

edit: a nicer person beat me

In my defense, google doesn't exactly show anything apart from some unrelated drama on reddit.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Does this mean we have the chance of Chaos with Samuari aesthetics in the future now? Nippon is certainly in the cards now, right?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

One of my wishes is for them to use the AOS/End Times Greater Daemon models.

Compare this Lord of Time to the one in WH1 that uses the old model. It looks like dogshit, closer to a Looney Tunes character really.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I feel like what AoS has lacked big time compared to 40k and Fantasy is no games. Right now we just have models and some books that only the truly devoted read and as things stand AoS to the masses has no real personality.

The Stormcast are way better than most people think, they have emotions and take pride in their humanity, they actually give a poo poo about making the realms a better place to live in and don't think Sigmar is some perfect guy who's beyond doubt, they have hobbies, senses of humour and they have hope they can win. DOW series had some ace campaigns which really helped you become familiar with the Marines and those guys are pretty dull in comparison. Nerds only go off what they see in the visual mediums most of the time and right now what do we have for AOS? A online card game or something and that's it. How many people care a gently caress about Warhammer fantasy until that badass Karl Franz trailer? Everyone now acts like they were huge fans but for years for most people Fantasy was seen as that weirdo cousin to 40k that no one cared about. Its minis were selling less than paints for gently caress's sake guys.

Imagine how much hype you could generate with a Deepkin reveal trailer that gives a simple breakdown of their lore and presents some of their super cool units, or the Bonereapers just being cool at, well, everything. Almost nothing will change for AoS for most until we get games that help you get grounded into the setting and have the characters drive the lore. Being told by someone else how cool Nagash is in some book will pale in comparison to seeing him wreck some poo poo in a cutscene or trailer.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Has GW continued to resist outsourcing their production to low-wage countries? If so, that's actually kind of admirable.

I believe so, it was even in the midst of opening up it's next factory I think before COVID came and laid waste to GW's plans.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I feel really bad how hyped everyone is for the Monkey King but I can't separate the fact that all I can think about is King Louie from the Jungle Book..

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

The basis seems to be as follows.

1) The pre-order bonus for Warhammer 2 was playable in 1 (Norsca).
2) The Mortal Empires map has been significantly expanded in the past few patches to include a lot of Chorf territory and the modelled area extends further into it than even the actually used provinces.
3) CA tends to added new areas for start positions before adding the LL for those start positions.

I'm not completely sold but that's the idea.

I believe the Steam page indicates it will be a WHIII DLC. They said the pre order race for II was going to be playable for I before Norsca was revealed so we can assume they won't be playable in II.

My guess is Hobgoblin Khanate. Why would they add Chaos Dwarfs as a pre-order DLC? That seems like pretty bad decision making. Chaos Dwarfs are highly popular and would drive sales on its own easy while Hobgoblins are a race that most people agree would be merely "nice to have". People who pre-order III are likely to buy Chaos Dwarfs on its own but its unlikely Hobgoblins would generate that much money.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I find Chaos to be cool and good but my biggest problem with them is the concept is the notion that power corrupts. I don't think power corrupts anyone and that it simply exposes people for who they really are and you don't need some dark God to turn you that way. Good people who wield power are hard to come by, but when they do they don't slowly become evil and if they do they were never truly good to begin with.

I find it more interesting how desperation can "corrupt" you and how you go about solving your problems in life. Your young child gets a terminal illness the local doctors can't or even refuse to treat because you are too poor? A quick prayer to Nurgle to save your child won't harm anyone and no one else is going to help you, I'm sure the price won't be too high and it will be worth saving your most loved one surely. Your village is under the yoke of a terrible and sadistic tyrant? Your scheme to oust him could do with the favour of Tzeentch, he's not known to be overtly nasty and you won't need him after. Your family risks obliteration from those local bandits and only you can fight them, Khorne himself could grant you the power to save them and he's known to be honourable to his followers, he won't treat you badly. You want the greatest birthday party ever? Slaanesh is your guy/girl.

I don't like how often Chaos and its followers are depicted as nigh on cartoon characters, because I can certainly see why good people can be pushed towards them. The rulers of Fantasy/AOS/40K are 90% of the time nasty dickheads who won't piss on you if you were on fire and relying on them to help you or your loved ones is pretty futile. Meanwhile, all-powerful deities that are 100% known to influence the universe and will help you regardless of status is extremely appealing when no one else will stand up for you. Each Chaos God also has a positive aspect that gets forgotten about too which can help rationalize following them, Khorne is honour, Nurgle is life, Slaanesh is passion and Tzeentch is progress. I wish we could see more POVs of rational people falling for them and not already far gone assholes who spew gibberish and stuff no one sane would ever listen to.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

The correct answer to who the most tolerable DE lord is obvious; Fellheart.

He has the coolest helmet/mask.

There is no other reasons needed.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

It's worth noting that while the Horned Rat is indeed the 5th Chaos God, he's treated like poo poo in-universe by literally anyone else associated with Chaos.

The other Chaos Gods that aren't in Elf jail don't see him as equal and look on Slaanesh as more worthy despite he/she is currently in Elf jail getting their rear end kicked daily. No non-rat mortal followers as far as I know even think to follow him. Archaon was told by the GHR that he deemed him worthy of his service and Archaon straight up ignores him and his blessing. The other Gods like Nagash and Sigmar don't even acknowledge him really when talking about Chaos.

For all intents and purposes, the Great Horned Rat is the biggest loser of the God community and is treated as such.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

He would probably only do that if you offered their skulls to him. Khorne cares not from where the blood flows, but he is picky about skulls.

Yeah, if the only blood you can spill is that of harmless and innocent people its best you don't mention where it comes from. Khorne loves his blood but he also loves honourable fights and battling strong worthy opponents.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

The closest faction to being "good guys" are Eldar, the issue is they are basically the most smug assholes in existence and some people just can't get over that.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Eimi posted:

The Eldar would gladly sacrifice an entire human world just to save one single Eldar life.

As lovely as that is, it's basically the equivalent of us coming across a sentient race of egg men who live a maximum of 10 months and collectively try to kill us for no discernible reason all the time and on one of their many, many planets they hold one of the most nicest and esteemed people of humanity and will kill them if given the chance. Also there are only about 300,000 of us left and every time we die we face eternal torture at the hands of a sadistic sex god who we admittedly birthed into the world and are trying to fix it.

Like, it's still extremely loving evil but when looked through the lens of Eldar it's a far more sympathetic reason for mass murder than basically any other faction. A total Imperium victory sees the eradication of all xeno life, Tau see basically everyone enslaved and anyone who steps out of line is murdered. Eldar's grand victory is basically to be left the gently caress alone and live their lives in their craftworlds forever while Slaanesh fucks off. Their goals are the most admirable out of everyone and they don't *want* to see all other races snuffed out which is a huge boon in this setting morally.

edit: All 40k factions are bad. I do not condone mass murder, not even the mass murder of egg men.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 10, 2021

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

The Elves causing a massive world war by cutting the beard of a Dwarf diplomat for laughs is probably the most Elf thing ever.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Dwarf motorcycles with lances attached to the front is the only possible reasonable way of fixing the Dwarfs.

We literally have no other options.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I dont know posted:

I think part of the reason they are hesitant to nerf ranged is fear of making large single entities even stronger.

Anti large melees do a decent enough job imo, at least from my experience.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Why care about Brets when we have Flesh Eater Courts, who are Brets but actually really nice and caring people who simply have a slight PR problem both in-universe and out.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

Total War Empire was actually pretty close to being good imo. It had interesting units, firing in rank, primitize versions of poison wind mortars. but yeah nothing really worked well unfortunately.

The biggest problems were the awful map which everyone seems fond of (Spain had like, what, 1 city?) and the worst AI I've ever seen. Like most of the time I don't notice bad AI but with Empire, oh boy was it noticeable. Losing any battle unless you were outnumbered 10 to 1 or something was not possible, they would simply roll over and die.

Empire has aged the absolute worst out of any TW, followed by Rome II at great distance. I loved it at the time but god it kinda straight-up sucks.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Agree about Empire, but Rome II is actually pretty good.
Rome II is good, but 3K, Warhammer, and to a lesser extent, Attila, have aged it. Going back to Rome II after the number of improvements done in since really feels noticeable. But it is still a decent game at its core and you can get good campaigns for sure. Certainly more enjoyable than Empire.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

All this talk about Japanese mythology and the demonic things being completely rational stuff that could reasonably appear now is amazing. Not to mention speculation on what bat poo poo insane units we'll be getting from the Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs. How far we have come.

Remember when we were all losing our poo poo at the first WH1 screenshots with those giants fighting the Empire? :allears:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Not sure what all the worry is about, CA have proven for years they are perfectly capable of presenting non white/western cultures very tastefully and respectfully while also paying the rule of cool it's due. I'm confident they would handle Nippon/not Japan very well.

GW too, for that matter, have gotten much better. The IP is no longer solely directed by some northern British nerds in the 1980s.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It is kinda weird to suggest that the japanese or whoever else would flock to the game if only their expy was in. It’s not like Bretonnia is disproportionately popular in France or danes all love chaos and Norsca.

I'm not sure if those comparisons work all that well, the French fanbase don't care about Brets because the Brets never paid deep respect or give a cool perspective of medieval French culture and mythology, its a blatant satire that's mocking weirdo French knights and is more concerned with drawing from Monty Python than French mythos.

Nippon made today would be completely different, it would be westerners attempting to draw inspiration from really cool Japanese history and folklore and offer their own twist on it while obviously trying to be respectful. Japanese, as would anyone else, would be really excited to see how they pan out especially if they already like the series. Getting perspectives and twists from very different parts of the world is really drat cool and would absolutely get their attention imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

There's like 20 species of dragon but the ones we see in game are at least human level intelligent. They probably just can't be bothered to speak human or elvish because gently caress you that's why.

Eimi posted:

Look dragons just follow the poncification scale demonstrated by Imrik and Caledor. Caledor is where the most arrogant rear end in a top hat elves live, Imrik is the most arrogant and most assholish, thereby the dragons are even poncier, even more arrogant, even bigger assholes.

Sounds like dragons in WH are essentially giant, fire-breathing house cats.