Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

This game could really do with some way to assign skill templates to lords - I seem to spend 70% of my time late game assigning skills to various people and it's a real pain in the arse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Looks like everything's 50% off at least for the next week

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I usually just end up recruiting armies of whatever I can get from global in one turn

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

OwlFancier posted:

It was apparently a beastman faction that I don't think I have seen before that must spawn up there, warherd of the shadowgave or something? I don't think it's an SFO addition, I assume it's new from whenever they did some beastman reworks a while back that I haven't played since. Though it could be making them stronger, I assumed they just got lucky against the garrison cos fighting beastmen with early empire units is pretty rough.

While the northern provinces do often have a rough time of it what with the constant pile of shirtless nordics pouring across the sea, it's certainly the first time I've seen a whole province eat poo poo that early lol, It's not too much of a problem though cos I can get back from there easily enough and they might get reconqista'd eventually which will give me the points back. It just made me laugh seeing it happen so quickly.

Though they have also now razed middenheim and the entire north is full of chaos corruption from all the beastman poo poo lol. They can apparently put down these weird rocks that poo poo out chaos corruption and stop you resettling the ruins until you kill a nearby beastman camp? Interesting mechanic, not sure if that is again part of the beastman update or an SFO thing but it certainly makes empire a lot more interesting than the last time I played it!

I've seen the rock thing in one of my games, so I don't think it's an SFO thing

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

unwalled minor settlements sounds like Eternal Whack-a-mole

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I'm still riding the WH3 hype train

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mantis42 posted:

Cathay's shaping up to be pretty cool, though I wish it had the guardian lions, which are 100% going to be DLC.

The other thing about them, which makes them slightly incongruous with the setting as a whole, is that there's no aspect of the empire being in decay and wanting to recapture lost glory like most races or being outright underdogs like the Empire. They're just straightforwardly powerful and good, which is a little bland and not very Warhammer-y. If it was up to me, the narrative of the campaign would feature a twist at some point where you find out the Dragon Emperor has been dead for years (perhaps the Monkey King fatally wounded him in their battle), or something like that.

Isn't there some stuff in the fluff about Tzeentch cults in there? The stuff we've seen for the West dude seems to point at that as well, what with the whole 'getting too comfortable with warpstone' stuff

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I like Free Company because they are basically line infantry from TW:Empire

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dr Christmas posted:

Speaking of crazy things, recruitable non-lord/hero Lords of Change. It was kind of expected when they said that Khorne would have Bloodthirsters as regular units. It says they’ll upgrade throughout the campaign, so there’s probably more to them than just being something like flying Hierotitans.

Cathay has some “Elemental Winds” mechanic that increases spell power (no elaboration for what this means) the more casters you bring. That’s interesting because every hero unit and most lords are wizards, and the heroes use different magic schools than the lords. Making wind replenishment a constant thing regardless of your reserves would seem to somewhat disincentivize wizard stacking, but this would reverse that.

Kislev seems to adhere to a more traditional squishy wizard/beefier non-wizard dichotomy with its lord and hero wizards both being varieties Ice Witches, so I wonder if these new wizard-stacking encouragements are unique to only some factions.

Well, Tzeentch is the magic guy (Khorne being the punching guy, Nurgle the plague guy and Slaanash the tittie guy)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Crab Dad posted:

No because I keep the intact carapace for lawn ornaments and to keep track of how many I got any given season.

More carapace for the carapace throne! Was a decent if short season for me.

No dungies?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ulio posted:

I wanted to ask, is there a reason to play Warhammer 1 if you have Warhammer 2? I am currently playing the first one for the first time but I just saw that 2 is basically 1 with more content and nothing really removed?

Also I've only played the historical games upto Shogun 2 but man I can see why people love the Warhammer games so much. The factions feel way more different and unique than the historical games.

WH is great for that but I like the historical games too, sometimes it's nice to set up a gunline or whatever without having to worry about some dickhead on a dragon bowling them all over the place and munching them, or a firestorm incinerating them, or a bunch of coked up ratmen appearing out the ground or or or

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Kislev seems like it's the 'basic' faction for WH3

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lads, I'm getting pretty hyped for hams3

May be first game I pre-order in forever

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Taking marienburg right away always ended badly for me, ending up fighting dark elves in the west and vampires in the east. I had way more luck making friends with them and letting them cover my west flank while I pushed on the vamps/norsca

Alctel fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 21, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Southpaugh posted:

The question I have for the thread is what do you do about wissenland (nuln)? I've successfully kept them from seceding or starting poo poo with any of the other electors but you know, I want their poo poo.

It's like the one empire province I end up fighting with, not worth trying to keep them in your good graces

Also, early steam tank

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I miss WHFB and don't really like AoS at all for all the reasons mentioned

Half of me is wondering if they will retconn the whole end times thing in WH3. Apparently there is a lot of loving around with Chaos in their homelands during the WH3 campaign and I thinking it would be a good way to split timelines or something

I mean, almost certainly not but it got me wonderin'

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just have Ikkit Claw invent a new doomsday device which fucks up the time continuum and splits the Old World timeline from the End Times timeline

That or the dragon emperor has a plan which involves going into the chaos wastes and doing a thing which splits timelines

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Alternatively, make friends with Marienburg and concentrate on crushing the vamps which is how I did it

One thing I found when I started is that you really have to build a lot of money buildings almost everywhere, just trying to rely on tax income (like some other TW games) won't cut it

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

DaysBefore posted:

Doesn't that big Skaven monster do that, spawn filthy rats when you kill it? Could definitely do the same thing with Horrors.

Can never remember if Horrors are happy little cool guys like Nurglings or if they're just monsters

Pink are happy, blue are grumpy

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

DaysBefore posted:

Maybe something like Wargame: Red Dragon but with 40k factions would be best

Yah that would rule

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

All I want for WHIII is some kind of lord template or the ability to queue up skills

Mid-late game I seem to spend 70% of my time doing the skill updates for heros/lords and it's sooooo boring, it's actually stopping me really building heros at all

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Vagabong posted:

It did make them seem more monstrous and less gammony.

I kinda like the ogres just being huge gammons

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mordja posted:

Just get the guy who does the C&C Overlord Tank to voice them all, you cowards.

Ogres will grow larger

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Total War: Warhammer 3 - The Great Brutish Bakeoff

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sinteres posted:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-3-ogre-kingdoms-campaign-mechanics/

Yeah that's a pretty full roster. And mechanically they seem to be in a pretty good place too. This is easily the best preorder pack we've seen.

Deployable major settlements? Am I reading that right?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I dunno who is doing their trailers nowadays but they are really really good

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

AnEdgelord posted:

So I'm gonna make a bit of a bold prediction here. In both previous TW games we received exactly two paid DLC factions besides the preorder factions. Now that we know the game map and know that Ogres are the preorder DLC we can start making some educated guesses. For one I don't think Ind, Khuresh, or Nippon are in the cards right now* and I think CA is going to stick to their historical pattern of two paid DLC factions for TWW3. I currently think there are only two possible factions they could be and they are:

1) Chaos Dwarfs, super obvious, had an 8th edition army list and models (even if they were forge world). Positioning of the map and fan interest makes them practically a done deal.

2) Dogs of War, not super obvious but the last army (along with Chaos Dwarfs) that had an actual army list, even if it was an absolutely ancient 6th edition list that was wasn't supported in 8th edition. The Ogre mercenary system that they are currently previewing could easily be repurposed and even beefed up to give the Dogs of War a robust mercenary system for their campaign.

Other than those two I don't think anything else is likely at all. So far the only faction that never had an official army list is Cathay and I expect them to be the exception. Even Vampire Coast had a White Dwarf article and Kislev had a handful of models from 6th edition.

*They may eventually do one of these or all three but I highly doubt that it is currently planned and will likely only happen towards the end of TWW3's lifecycle and even then only if it dovetails with GW's plan for the Old World

The map someone posted up there showed we basically have the entire world now, with the exception of a smallish chunk in the east - I wouldn't be surprised if they start eating into that with map updates. It'll be after the two armies you mentioned though - since they are probably waiting on GW to write up stuff for them

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I mean, defended walls should be hard to take. I don't really have a problem with tower range/lethality

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lord Koth posted:

So that Khorne unit overview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuh2H8jHeyw) didn't have too much new, but it did have one interesting ability reveal on the Bloodreaper Hero. That was Locus of Abjuration, a 25 second aura that gives a massive boost to spell resistance (+66%) to those units in range. Given Khorne's units already range from ~25 - 50% Spell Resistance, that's basically nigh-immunity to damage spells while active depending on how it stacks.

The Halberds here have charge reflect when braced - someone mentioned earlier it could be a cathay only thing and it appears not

edit: the skullcannon looks pretty uh, unusual

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 9, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So what exactly is the Ogre option against mass spears, halberds, AP ranged and something that can block monsters from moving besides sitting down and crying?

edit: in one of the example videos one of these hosed up a bloodthirster

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

quote:

Will drink you under the table, eat you out of house and home, beat you at arm-wrestling, then fall asleep embracing you. True friends.

Irongut description. Someone has a lot of fun with these

edit:

quote:

Unique characteristics:

They put a Harpoon Launcher on a Stonehorn.
They took a Stonehorn, already a humongous monster that can crush units beneath its hooves, and put a crossbow that fires spears on top of it.
The Ogre who invented this is essentially as close to Einstein as they ever got.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 17, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

drat those slaanesh animations are sick

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They seriously have raised the bar with every new announce trailer.

I'm hoping for at least one more CGI one, those have been so good

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Hawgh posted:

I dunno guys. I think she might be beetlejuicing

this is so good

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Bloodthirster isn't a slouch either at 95

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

DaysBefore posted:

I had some time before work this morning so I loaded up a siege battle I'd been putting off. While my poor idiot Bretonnian garrison was dying I was able to just kinda zoom in and appreciate the detail. The models, animations, and, my God, the sound. Such an unbelievable amount of work and effort - not to mention a lot of unpaid overtime I'm sure :( - it was great.

So when I read weird rants from Total War fans complaining that CA is lazy and incompetent I wonder if we're playing the same games

Yeah it's crazy how much detail there is considering I (and probably most people) literally never zoom in to see anything other than squares

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

AnEdgelord posted:

Get the Prophet and the Warlock if you want to play Skaven at all and maybe Warden and the Paunch if you want to play Greenskins.

The tombkings are pretty fun too, I love the voice acting on the units

hey go here

*ancient old man groaning sounds*

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

MonsterEnvy posted:

It appears you can automate it in 3

Holy poo poo really? By far worst part of the game for me

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Maybe it's Todbringer?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dr Christmas posted:

Some theorycrafting about our 9th LL. They probably won't be one of the new races, and probably won't be their own whole new race because otherwise they'd be advertised as something more than a 9th LL.

Be'lakor is the favorite, but we don't know what kind of faction he'd lead if he was. An undivided faction, obviously, but mixing all four demon rosters seems like a bit much, so I'm positing that he might lead a Warriors of Chaos faction. We know from the reveal of Kairo's specific mechanics that he'll share his starting province with some Warriors of Chaos, and that they'll be controlling settlements. I guess this raises the question as to how much work it'll take to give AI WoC settlement mechanics vs allowing players to do the same.

People have been clamoring for Boris Todbringer DLC, so maybe he's the 9th playable LL? I haven't seen anyone make that guess, he always seems to be talked about as future DLC.

We haven't gotten faction mechanics for the human LLs or detailed starting location outlines for anyone besides Kairos Ogres. Kislev and Cathay's are easy enough to guess though. As the "basic" LLs, their mechanics won't be anything too unusual; bonuses to different types of heroes, bonus to trade for Zhao Ming, etc.

Todbringer is my bet