Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
if you want to imagine the future, imagine a triceratops stomping on an elven face, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

What's the human faction or do I just have to play on the big fuckin' map with all the factions

option 2

while there are a number of lesser human factions scattered across the New World and Southlands, they peak at Tilea-level relevance

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Blinks77 posted:

I'm kinda leaning more and more towards Making Ulthuan Great Again.

Tyrion is gonna have the problems of the WH1-release Empire start: please enjoy fighting nothing but your own people's tier one infantry for the first 4/5 of the game, then throw a doomstack at the target of opportunity of your choice.

guarantees that anyone playing against the High Elves is gonna have a hard time shutting them down, but playing as that person is going to get real old real fast.

you wanna High Elf, play Teclis, and make war against a delicious assortment of jerks.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Randarkman posted:

You'll still be running around with armies of bleakswords and dreadspears and painblades and shadowsongs and murderballads.

that is still one of the dumbest things. time for Corporation Lore!

so, GW, makers of overpriced tiny plastic toys and an associated bad game from which this Good Game sprang, had a consistent problem with other plastic toy sellers selling stuff that was Definitely Not For Use In Warhammer Wink Wink Nudge Nudge. GW eventually took one of the most notable of these guys to court on the subject of "No, Seriously, Come The gently caress On, This Is Definitely IP Infringement, Right."

yeah well here's the catch: they pushed WAY too hard trying to get a favorable precedent in the case, and the judge dropped fire from heaven on them for it. "No, Actually, YOU Come The gently caress On, You Can't Copyright The Term "Space Marine," You loving Nerds."

in order to defend against further owns of this kind, GW proceeded to rename basically everything in its game lines. so it was that Tower Guard became Darkshards, Dark Elf Swordsmen became Bleakswords, Dark Elf Spearmen became Dreadspears, orcs became Orruks, elves became Aelves, Imperial Guard became Astra Militarum, etc etc IT WAS REALLY DUMB.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

I ride bikes all day posted:

Please tell me you can get an Old Blood riding a Carnosaur.

you fool, that's a skink priest riding a troglodon, the much worse variant of that same model kit, which is not included in this game on grounds it is totally superfluous to a faction that already has skink priests riding stegadons.

fortunately,

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
my favorite part of the dark elf naming mechanic is that one of the most aggressive-sounding names gives you a +gold to local cities skill

in games as in irl, the desk jockeys are always more highly decorated

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

pretty sure dark elves do a lot of partying

while you studied the partyblade, i studied the other, slightly less partyworthy blades

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

Despite the badlands being the literal goddamn worst, Dwarves are still by far my favourite faction

it's me, i'm the bad "bring max artillery, park on top of hill, wait" turtler

the slooowly waddling a unit of thunderers around the battle line to flank and annihilate is also fun

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

So is this just like a super expansion of TW:W with new races and a new map, or are there large mechanical differences? E.g. if I would rather play as the Empire should I just get the first game?

super expansion, also eventually they're patching in a mega campaign so the empire can also fight dinosaurs, rats, and two more flavors of elf

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, that's what loving sucks though. 2 has some small to medium innovations that change the game for the better and, more than likely if you like the first game map or races and don't want to play the combined map you can go gently caress yourself.

I'd really love for them to backport these updates, especially because they already have to do half the work for combining the two games, but it's extremely unlikely and so the first and eventually second games will become dilapidated and poo poo if you want to play them as standalone.

You might argue that Shogun 2 didn't receive Rome 2's improvements didn't receive Atilla's improvements, but those games weren't designed from the start to play together and be one giant game.

most glaring example of which being the legendary lord item quests

in 2 they can be accomplished with a minimum of going out of your way

in 1? have fun running agents all over the planet and building ludicrously specific army comps, loser

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wasn't there for that but did no performance or UI or other non-expansion improvements make their way into a patch for the base game?

I come from Paradox where that poo poo happens with every single DLC drop.

yeah, Paradox can pull it off mostly because they design around doing that from moment one, with the miiinor side effect that as in Victoria eventually you reach a point where you've piled enough tweaks on top of other tweaks everyone's terrified of touching any subsystem for fear they'll blow the whole thing up

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Deakul posted:

gently caress dude, with those two choices you're better off with just flipping a coin...

if you have played the poo poo out of total war before: skaven

if you have not played the poo poo out of total war before: lizardmen

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Arranged to play a Helves v Delves MP campaign against a friend. Sounds like it could be quite fun and thematic, what with the more competetive nature of the vortex campaign. It will also make intervention armies more fun as one of us can step in to take command of them and such, should make for some interesting battles.

He's almost certainly going to be Malekith. I'm kind of wondering if I should pick Teclis (who I've been playing with a bit in SP) or Tyrion. I'm leaning towards Teclis, as he has a more interesting starting position (and swordmasters!), and this way Ulthuan will be more vulnerable to Dark Elf invasion and pretty much up for grabs (though I imagine I can confederate High Elf factions eventually).

Oh poo poo. It better have the ritual stuff in it. At least the head-to-head campaign, which I think sounds much more interesting with this campaign.

i don't think they let you do co-op as two different factions thanks to it breaking the way the vortex campaign works. i know, it's bullshit

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fat_Cow posted:

So why does mobility scooter frog have an "easy" start when its more difficult than Kroq'gar.

because he is well insulated from any other major factions and gets a gold mine

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm hard-pressed to find a unit that can beat Kroq-gar's Saurus spam in the first 30 turns; doesn't matter if you can send endless swarms of rats at him when his dudes can pretty much kill them all without breaking a sweat. Relying only on your single Warpfire Thrower and Rat Ogre isn't going to work, I figure.

it's one thing I worry about in terms of campaign longevity; much like how in unmodded 1 greenskins consistently got their poo poo pushed in by the dwarves to the point the hardest part of Karl Franz's quest was finding some greenskins available to kill, rats look like they are going to need some love in the autoresolve calculations to ever be relevant in the hands of the AI.

an army of five thousand rats against 800 lizards being a very winnable battle for the lizards owns, mind, but their lineup screams for a Nasty Skulkers-like to help solve the problem of Some Of Our Enemies Wear Armor at tier 1.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

anyone know if you can recruit mazdamundi if you start as kroq gar?

no, but you can confederate him if he's managed to gently caress up real bad

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I went with my heart and am Tyrion but the other smug elfs mostly hate me even though I killed the not-empire-secesh dark elves. Am I supposed to to just go kill them and take their poo poo? That doesn't seem elfy.

yeah this is pretty lore appropriate tbh. as Tyrion, you are not the Phoenix King. you are a general the Phoenix King kind of likes, and a general the Phoenix King's wife REALLY likes, wink wink, in charge of the garrison-kingdom Lothern. when you try telling the king of Saphery what to do, the repugnant little nerd tells you "that's nice, you can gently caress off now."

well, that's a lie, he says "your counsel is most appreciated, lord tyrion, and we will take efforts to bring your vision to pass," but he says it in his king-addressing-courtier voice instead of his king-meeting-an-equal voice, so the same message is communicated.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
once, long ago, in the thread-that-was, I commented that one of the things that made Warhammer Fantasy a superior setting to Warhammer 40K is that it was willing to embrace the sillier side of the game

from the dread norse colony of Skeggi, based on an extremely local english slang slur for those fuckers up the road, to the King of Vampires, a nerd living in his parents' basement

that spoiler owns so loving hard

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the absence of a black ark defense map fills me with sorrow

hopefully Queen and the Crone adds one, because seriously, come the gently caress on

not least because it will produce a map where the solution for high/dark elves is not "apply arrows directly to the forehead until morale improves"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
skaven are fun but my god playing a round as them is draining, there are so many different things happening in so many different directions to keep track of.

i cannot imagine what total loving bullshit playing against skink skirmishers would be

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

So how are people leveraging Mazdamundis Bastiladon? I suspect it mostly just doesn't feel effective against the Skeggi because of their lack of ranged to bombard, does that sound about right?

it is important to recognize Mazdamundi's Bastiladon is a heavily armored monster with more mass than god that some skinks have attached a long-range peashooter to.

that thing is very, very heavy cavalry that also forces enemies without siege weapons to charge you.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question about ranged units: Is there/Should I even care about friendly fire? Like if I have a ranged unit attacking a unit that one of my melee units is engaging.

there is friendly fire, but the AI will refuse to fire if it doesn't have a clear shot.

that said, since projectiles are all modeled, ordering your archers to fire on a fleeing unit that your melee dudes are also chasing is a wonderful recipe for accidentally arrowing your own dudes in the back during the cleanup phase.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Night10194 posted:

My favorite part of things is how the lizards and ponce elfs are fundamentaly on the same side, with the same goals, but both are so invested in being the wiser, older 'savior' that they don't work together and end up shooting each other because they're both kind of stupid assholes.

Like, legit, "The wise elder races are intentionally arrogant, stupid assholes" is a nice change from them coming off as such while you're supposed to think they're great like in most fantasy settings.

the complaining about high elves getting wrecked ties in wonderfully. fuckers, that is what they are there for, not just lorewise but thematically. the fallen elder race, living in the shadow of their once-great empire, exists to demonstrate the vitality of the young up-and-comers.

behold the Asrai, fairest of the fair, whose least soldier is a match for five of the sons of man, who have stretched themselves too thinly, and find themselves overmatched on all fronts. weep, for with every one of their valiant spear-line that falls, another fragment of their glory passes into shadow forever.

behold Kurt Grundelplatz, 17, who worked in the Altdorf foundry carrying blanks until he got drunk in the wrong bar while the Reiksmarshal was recruiting.

his breastplate does not fit, and his handgun's stock has splinters, and between the gunpowder clouds and the abject, pants-making GBS threads terror he was experiencing at the time, he will never know that he is the guy who noscoped the Witch King off the side of his dragon.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

what are the little grey rings around the soldiers meant to represent

graphical indication they're under the effects of Fear

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Does Malakith even like the dark elves? It's a bit of a downgrade from almost bro Phoenix king!

They're the ones who are loyal to the One True King. sure, a lot of them are jerks, but y'know. they had his back, so he's got theirs, at least in the abstract.

on which note, one of the unit/lords on the table for the inevitable expansion DLC is Alith Anar, the Shadow King, and his Shadow Warriors.

sure, Nagarythe loving sucks now, but it's still a kingdom of Ulthuan. and it has a king. and it has people. the descendants of the elves who, when Prince Malekith of Nagarythe said "I AM THE TRUE PHOENIX KING" said "uh, my lord, no offense, but you can gently caress right off with that bullshit."

the few of them that are still around are pretty good guerilla warriors! because Malekith's got a standing order that the heads of those who betrayed him are worth their weight in gold!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

I really like the new red trees available to all of the lords in this game. I hope something similar is backported to everyone else in the mortal empire campaign.

The blue tree being good enough to be worth taking is also surprising and cool.

Skaven are the best though. Their artillery is ridiculous and being able to ambush on the attack never gets old. Clan rats are surprisingly competent.

Why do people hate the Queek start? You get other rat men, lizards, wood elves, undead, dwarfs, Bretonnian knights, gobbos, and island elf raiders all in one location. The fights are diverse and all but the wood elf region and elf islands to the south is favorable climate.

mostly because 1. you are right on top of Kroq-Gar, and he will turbofuck you if he finds his way to you early
2. once you've dealt with him there is nobody else to worry about on the continent

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is there any real reason to push further north than Fallen Gates as Mazdamundi other than maybe to raze Delve settlements entirely? Seems like uninhabitable hell zone land to me.

Razing those settlements reduces the number of dark elves who will be coming at you.

I personally preferred leaving an oldblood up there and having him sack Ssildra'tor every few turns; nice of them to leave an XP generator where it's nice and convenient

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Do all sides get increasing higher upkeeps per lord or is that just a dark elf thing? With 10 lords it was at 105% upkeep.

All sides get it. It's significantly more notable for Lizardmen, because Saurus are 'speeeeensive.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Descar posted:

How do I get influence with High elves? it's very hard to come by ...

0.Every time you use intrigue to affect diplomacy the cost goes up. Know your diplomatic limits. (relatedly, get a crappy lord out on the sea and beelining for the Southlands coast , then head for the other elf faction as soon as possible- in the earlygame it's a LOT easier to make friends abroad than it will be once you're consolidated.)

1. Try to run at a cash surplus, so that when Intrigue at Court events fire you can pick the "bribe a bunch of people to make the King look good" option.
2. Rite of Asuryan is 1500 gold for 20 influence and a public order buff. Cast that thing on cooldown.
3. Build Noble heroes. Every one of your major armies is going to want one for the replenishment bonus anyway, but they can also take an Intrigue action against enemy settlements that gets you a trickle of influence.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

you can't, ca hosed up there

to the general good, because that would be reeeeallly horseshit good in this game without the balancing factor of "they randomly decide to take out half your army. for kicks."

which was also a horseshit way to balance things

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Aren't they supposed to spawn stormvermin on occasion too? Never seen that happen.

Also, do Skaven have to put up with enemy Skaven stacks during the later rituals, or are they all Chaos?

almost definitely the first.

i am so very, very hugely a fan of the fact that constantly raiding your own territory is not just a viable strategy for rats, it is just about the optimal one

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Have we gotten any more details on the mega campaign, beyond the name and that it will be straight conquest?

the province list came out. old world stays exactly as it was, bottom tip of notafrica and the western coasts of both Naggarond and Lustria get cut off, Hell Pit and Skavenblight become provinces in the old world.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dartonus posted:

Lahmia is off-map currently, it's further up the coast from Kroq-Gar's start. Its main claim to fame is being the birthplace of Vampires, after which the ancient Nehekharans tore the place down, salted the ruins, and took measures to ensure Vampires would never again blight Nehekhara.

"do you mean some great sorcerous working, oh great and powerful lords?"
"nah, wizards are bullshit. every single military post and piece of armor now has as many holy sigils as we can possibly cram onto it. any son of nehekara who refuses the ceremonial bro-grab on entry can be safely assumed to be a vampire and summarily put to death."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I really want to know what drives all of elfkind to such ridiculous tastes in hats and helmets.

mankind unfortunately does not have much of a leg to stand on at this point in time

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

you have many servants and you want to make sure that you are high class and have an elf servant and not some human or dwarf servant like the lesser elfs

useless trivia: dwarf slaves are worth considerably more than their weight in gold, because 1. they've usually got skills worth employing 2. it takes a master slaver to keep the little shits from shaving their heads and going berserk. displaying a dwarf slave is a ridiculously ostentatious display of wealth and power

because if any of your rivals has the balls to toss them an edged weapon, things will get very awkward very quickly

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
an elfservant, by comparison: congratulations, you raided ulthuan or one of your rivals recently. good on you.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
"Hey Kroq-gar! It's your cousin, Balthasar! Balthasar Gelt! You know that new sound you've been lookin' for? WELL LISTEN TO THIS"

*img.onemilliongunsbehindonemillionhalbardiers*

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mukip posted:

It's not entirely clear, but I think you are supposed to be the Phoenix King making decisions in regards to influence. Otherwise, he's constantly being told how to behave by either Tyrion or Teclis which doesn't make sense.

that or as his chosen Super Sweet Special Advisors you're getting to advise him/occasionally take measures on the king's behalf.

"My king, I advise you spend really loving lavishly on this one. Don't worry, the treasury will cover it."
"yo dipshits that gift was compliments of Teclis. one day he will expect you to return the favor. got me? good, you got me."

makes the "an advisor has been abusing his position to pretend his words are the Phoenix King's" event particularly hilarious. get out you little poo poo, this is the twins' grift.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Magni posted:

IIRC, High Elves can build a similar overpowered bullshit building in occupied Naggarond.

well poo poo now I have a reason to play a Tyrion campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
all will be forgiven once someone attaches huge, jiggling knockers to a kroxigor