Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There are some teams where you can make a convincing argument that many players are the best to ever play for an extended period. For example, with the Ravens I feel like you could make a pretty convincing arguement that Ogden, Lewis and Reed are all the best ever without getting chased out of a Baltimore bar. I feel like there are a small number of teams where saying anyone other than this person will immediately result in you getting shouted down. These are the ones I can think of, who would you agree/disagree with?

The rule I used was that I just thought of the team and if one name didn't come to mind instantly I just skipped them. That could be because there's not just one player or because there's not even one player. Your metrics may be different. Does one of mine or one of yours jump out? Also I considered the Oilers and the Titans one team because lol Titans.

Look I don't really follow the NFC, OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I feel like Staubach is a better choice for Dallas.

And I'd argue against LdT

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Smith, not Peppers.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think of Sapp when I think Bucs

Also please use a better pic of Dan

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

And I'd argue against LdT

Seau? Only person I'd put anywhere close to him.

Comedy option Takeo Spikes

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think there's a pretty solid argument between Tony Gonzalez and DT for the Chiefs.

And maaaybe some slight argument with a lot of historical 'well you can't just look at the numbers and compare them to modern football' for Len Dawson but I don't feel nearly strongly enough about that to try to bother actually making that argument.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Is there an argument for anyone other than Larry Fitzgerald for the Cardinals?

The only other hall of famer that jumps to mind is Dan Dierdorf and I think I'd probably value Fitz more than him, but I don't really know poo poo about Dierdorf other than he's a hall of famer and was a loving awful announcer.

Well Kurt Warner, but I associate him with the Rams.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
I mean, Elway is the best football player ever, so you can go ahead and chisel him in.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

I mean, Elway is the best football player ever, so you can go ahead and chisel him in.

Horses can't play football.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Cowboys fans may argue Deion but he works for the Falcons too

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Rams is definitely Deacon Jones

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Moss for the Vikings?

Taylor for three Jags?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I know I just brought up Kurt Warner and I personally love Torry Holt, but I think it has to be Dickerson for the Rams.

Intruder posted:

Moss for the Vikings?

I think there's a pretty solid argument for Tarkenton. He retired like Marino and Favre did, holding every single passing record.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Seau? Only person I'd put anywhere close to him.

Comedy option Takeo Spikes

I'd say Seau, but I'm kind of biased since he was basically my childhood hero when I was a kid

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Is there an argument for anyone other than Larry Fitzgerald for the Cardinals?

The only other hall of famer that jumps to mind is Dan Dierdorf and I think I'd probably value Fitz more than him, but I don't really know poo poo about Dierdorf other than he's a hall of famer and was a loving awful announcer.

Well Kurt Warner, but I associate him with the Rams.

it's hard because they've been around for like a hundred years. jim hart? charley trippi? aeneas williams? do you believe that adrian wilson got the short end of the stick league recognition wise? larry wilson had 5 all-pros. we're a decade away from it but patrick peterson has a good chance at being better than all of them.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Reggie White for the Eagles.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

gently caress you. I was extremely proud and impressed by the smart OP for including Walter Jones. Best ever Seahawk. I love ET but Big Walt is a league wide GOAT.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

gently caress you. I was extremely proud and impressed by the smart OP for including Walter Jones. Best ever Seahawk. I love ET but Big Walt is a league wide GOAT.

Is it between him and Munoz for the best LT ever or am I forgetting someone?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Is it between him and Munoz for the best LT ever or am I forgetting someone?

Ogden is right there too.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Gotta go with Max Magee for Green Bay. Hungover as poo poo for Super Bowl I after a night of partying and boozing. 138 yards, 2 touchdowns, 1 borrowed helmet.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Oh poo poo, I thought this thread was about best current player.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the best bengal of all time is Neil O'Donnell

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I'd say Brian Dawkins for the Eagles but there is a suuuper good argument for Reggie White too.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Cavauro posted:

the best bengal of all time is Neil O'Donnell

You mean Ickey Woods

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
We've fallen so far from the years of Ogden, Orlando Pace, and Walt. Who's the best LT in the league now? Tyron Smith?

You can't even make a comparison.

P.S. AJ Green is obviously the best Bengal.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Ed Reed for the Ravens has to be up there right? Does he beat out Ray Lewis?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CyberPingu posted:

Ed Reed for the Ravens has to be up there right? Does he beat out Ray Lewis?

I think it's between those two for the Ravens far above anyone else, and I honestly don't know which I'd choose.

Ray has a pretty decent argument for the best MLB to ever play the game. Ed is in my mind the best free safety to ever play.

e: Well poo poo we were just talking about Ogden and I forgot about him already. So between those three I don't think the Ravens have an obvious best player.

They really have had an embarrassment of riches for such a short lived franchise. And still Kawalimus exists.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Personally I think it's between Reed and Ogden. Lewis might be near the best MLB ever but his peak never approached what Reed and Ogden could do. Ogden simply canceled the best opposing pass rusher and was the lead blocker for world class running teams who were unable to even threaten throwing the football. Ed Reed was Ed Reed. Offense on defense, flipped fields, read QBs like no one else ever has, etc. The only contention against Reed is that he played with no regard for his own (or anyone else's) well being so injuries made him a shell of himself his last 2-3 seasons.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think you might be selling Lewis the player (as opposed to the person) a little bit short, but either way that just reinforces the point. I don't think there's a single Raven that can be pointed to as the best in that franchise. And the guys we can argue about were all absolutely amazing players.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I know I just brought up Kurt Warner and I personally love Torry Holt, but I think it has to be Dickerson for the Rams.

I think there's a pretty solid argument for Tarkenton. He retired like Marino and Favre did, holding every single passing record.

I'd be more split between Moss and Alan Page but Fran Tarkenton can also be entertained.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good to know no one disputes Moorman.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Puppy Bowl posted:

We've fallen so far from the years of Ogden, Orlando Pace, and Walt. Who's the best LT in the league now? Tyron Smith?

You can't even make a comparison.

P.S. AJ Green is obviously the best Bengal.

Still Thomas?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Still Thomas?

Lol no

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It's probably Trent Williams

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Good to know no one disputes Moorman.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

MD2020 posted:

Reggie White for the Eagles.

I was going to argue Dawkins or comedy option :mcnabb: but Reggie White is probably the right answer. It still bums me out how sour he was on the Eagles at the end and that he died so young.

Someone older might say Bednarik but I have zero insight into him other than watching highlight reels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

WHOOPS posted:

I'd be more split between Moss and Alan Page but Fran Tarkenton can also be entertained.

I honestly can't make a decision between Moss and Page.

• Locked thread