Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I remember you! You did that Steppe Wolfe LP, and that V2 LP, and...other V2 LPs that failed and didn't go anywhere.

Right, right, and right. It's...been a while. I'm still happy that I have been immortalized in the LP Archives for that V2 thread. Don't forget World Stage bonus updates in Steppe Wolfe and East vs West bonus updates in V2.

Why the hell are you LPing Victoria II again? That game is ancient, it's janky, it's borderline incomprehensible, and it's notoriously un-user-friendly.
'
Well...I've thought about playing other things. Many other things, from other genres of games, on other platforms, but I don't want to buy a capture card I don't know that I have the right skillset to be a VLPer. I just come back to Victoria II because I'm good at it and understand it. I get this ridiculous, janky, nightmare on some gut level. I've never felt that way about Crusader Kings II and, in some ways, part of me likes Europa Universalis IV less because it is less janky and unfriendly than its predecessors. I realize that this is a flaw with me and not with EUIV or CKII, both of which are quality games.

There are also always multiple quality CKII LPs going, like the exciting new Papal campaign by Crisis Now. Hashim's al-Andalus campaign, currently on hiatus, is to EUIV and is also well worth reading and will presumably come back at some point. I couldn't add much value to the CKII market: in keeping with Victoria II's theme, it's better for everyone if I follow Adam Smith's advice and focus on my comparative advantage of Victoria II content.

Why Mexico? You're going to get murdered by Americans and end up an obscure, sleepy backwater.

No, I won't.

Are you going to utterly destroy the United States through gamey exploitations of obscure mechanics?

No, I won't (unless I get super-lucky). Honestly, Victoria II is always some degree of a combination of skill and luck, and a world where the USA isn't a Great Power would require a multitude of things going my way that I cannot reasonably expect. Even if I do get the opportunity to play rough with America, they can still probably expect to be a Great Power, especially if they fire Liberty Enlightening the World.

Like the Statue of Liberty poem? What the hell does the Statue of Liberty do in Victoria II? :psyduck:

Hopefully, we don't have to find out in this playthrough.

Thread Goals: The game starts in 1836 and ends in 1936.

By 1936 (basic goals):

Mexico will end the campaign a Great Power (one of the top eight countries in the world).
Mexico will not lose an inch of soil to the USA or anyone else.
Mexico will acquire new territory in the Caribbean and maybe elsewhere.

Ambitious goals (making no promise that I get to these):

Mexico will outrank the USA.
Mexico will be very reformed and not a sleepy conservative oligarchy, and a major target of immigration.
Mexico will have either the highest rated military or industry in the Western Hemisphere, if not the world.
Mexico will have an African colonial empire.

Are you going to do in-character posts?

I don't think so. I don't feel the inspiration to do those like I used to. I want to make this a very non-gimmicky LP.

I still think America's going to mess you up, unless you cheat somehow.

No, they won't, and no, I won't cheat unless there is a specific need to accomplish something using console commands or save-editing that I will explain to the thread (as happened in my previous thread).

So what's up with Mexico in 1836?

Glad you asked.

Mexico has a Landed Only voting system, which means only rich pops (Aristocrats and Capitalists) can vote, and as such, has a deeply conservative electorate. It is a Democracy, which means that there is no king to overrule the voters and place in another party. Mexico has deeply restrictive reforms, which means we are a very low target of immigration. Our parties also mostly are terrible, and all it'd take is a little bit of bad luck getting Liberals elected to utterly deindustrialize us and put us into near-bankruptcy because Mexico right now cannot cope with Lassiez Faire economics.

Mexico is fairly populous by 1836 standards, with about 40% of the population of the USA to start, but scattered over a very large area with very low population density. We are going to need more people. We have fantastic natural resources, but not enough pops to really exploit that advantage, and our pops are too spread out to efficiently raise a large army.

Mexico starts off big, with a fairly large standing army, and at war with Texas, who has a tiny three brigade army. There are two issues: almost all of Mexico's soldiers are Irregulars, and the Texan general, Sam Houston, has an insanely high 5 Defense stat. Irregulars are terrible in Victoria II, and defense is massively favored, so if I were to attack Sam Houston's army, I would lose a ton of men and probably lose. There's also the minor problem that USA has a "Friendly" level of influence with Texas, and as such they will hop into the war to defend Texas if we are winning this war.

Anyone who has played V2 knows what happens when the AI is in charge here. The AI will occupy Austin, be registered as winning the war, USA will intervene, smash Mexico, and make Mexico agree to Texan Independence. USA will then auto-annex Texas via decision, and once the USA owns Texas, the USA will fire Manifest Destiny, which will give the USA claims on all of Mexico's northern provinces, which will lead to Mexico getting wrecked in two subsequent wars until the USA has everything it wants, and usually Chihuahua or Sonora as well.

We are going to take a different course. Stay tuned for that different course in Chapter 1, which will be uploaded later tonight.

Table of Contents:

Chapter I: The Anticlimactic Conquest of Texas
Chapter II: The So-Called "War of Mexican Submission"
Chapter III: (Mostly) Peace and (Mostly) Prosperity
Chapter IV: The Great War and the Cuban War
Chapter V: The Decision Point

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Looking forward to Hawaii somehow taking over the western seaboard of the US.

cannonfodder43
Jul 15, 2004
I am excited to see where this goes. Even all these years later Vicky2 is still in my regular game rotation. I agree that it is just the right level of weird, semi broken and hidden rules to stay interesting.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I played the hell out of the first game, not so much the sequel. My favorite gamey thing to do was to win quick enough to puppet Texas, then give them all the provinces bordering the US and never call Texas into the war.

Good luck, I always enjoy Mexico games.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Chapter I: The Anticlimactic Conquest of Texas (1836-1848)

Mexico's first move in the war against the Republic of Texas was a baffling one: disbanding its entire army and navy, and putting in orders for a new army to be built. The Mexicans also mobilized all their reserves, a move that would take months to accomplish.

This move had its reason, though. Irregulars, the unit of choice of the old Mexican military, were absolutely useless in modern warfare. A new military, composed of Infantry, Artillery, and basic Cavalry (embarrassingly enough, the Mexicans did not yet know how to raise more advanced Cavalry types like Hussars, Dragoons, and Cuirassiers that Europeans had been using for centuries), would meet Mexico's needs better, and better to mobilize the reserves now than after a potential American intercession.

The Mexican move to study political ideology, rather than other, more immediately relevant studies, baffled some, but the added Plurality caused by these thoughts would rapidly stimulate Mexican research and the class Consciousness caused by the introduction of these foreign ideas could possibly stir new political movements.

Sadly, the disbanding of the Mexican military temporarily made the rest of the world no longer regard Mexico as a Secondary Power, meaning that its attempted colonization of the unclaimed Colorado failed. Colorado would have to wait until Mexico regained Secondary Power status. The seemingly arbitrary ruling of the heavens that Mexico could not colonize Colorado because it was less of a power than sixteen other countries proved deeply frustrating to Mexican ambition.

Luckily, Mexicans soon found that their economy, bordering on bankruptcy, had a new lifeline, as the gold found in Acapulco was soon joined by more gold in Durango, Chihuahua, and Culiacan. Mexico's as-yet terrible mining technology prevented the Mexican economy from fully benefitting from its new gold reserves, but nevertheless, the impact was immediately felt.

Colombia offered to be an ally of Mexico, but immediately upon Mexico asking for Colombian aid, the Colombians broke the agreement. Not a week later, the Brazilians finished their war with Paraguay and turned to Colombia, who had to face Brazil alone. Had Colombia aided Mexico, Mexico would have surely aided Colombia in its time of need, so Colombia's cowardice sealed its fate in the conflict.

The new, professional Mexican army marched on Austin and San Antonio. Sam Houston marched aimlessly across northern Mexico, sieging at will but finding little benefit from it.

In February of 1837, the Mexicans took Austin and prepared for an imminent American entry into the war, an entry which did not occur. The Americans, scared that Mexico's army was now larger than their own, decided to remain neutral in the conflict and left Sam Houston to his fate.

And so the war was won, with Sam Houston's 9,000 man force never once encountering Mexican soldiers. Texas capitulated with Houston's army intact.

Mexico wasn't the only great country reintegrating troublesome frontier territories.

Now solidly a Secondary Power again, Mexico began a colonization dispute with the United States over Colorado. The Mexicans begun construction of Naval Bases and Man O' Wars to boost their colonial power (though how Naval Bases aided in controlling Colorado was a mystery), but it was clear that the United States had a massive advantage. The only upside was that the United States had other colonial matters to deal with:

The ongoing American dispute with the British over the interior of British Columbia seemed silly. After all, the territory was literally named British Columbia, which seemed to suggest a rightful owner. The Mexicans hoped that this dispute would split American attention and allow them to seize Colorado.

News from far-off lands was the talk of Mexico during this period of dispute over Colorado, as little else could be done at home besides build up Naval Bases.

Colombia should have definitely honored its Mexican alliance.

The endless string of wars abroad continued.

Mexico's new knowledge of political ideology immediately paid off.

The Mexicans decided to research the "new" doctrines of Adam Smith that had existed for over half a century as their new pursuit.

Mostly as a result of their military prowess, the Mexicans were finally recognized as a major Secondary Power in the world. Mexico was now a more significant power than nations like the Two Sicilies and Portugal.

Unfortunately, this newfound respect didn't let Mexico conjure Colonial Power out of the ether, as the USA decisively pulled ahead in the contest over Colorado, leading to the incorporation of Colorado into the United States in 1839.

European news continued to filter in. Sweden gained much prestige for simply declaring that it no longer wanted Finland, while the Netherlands did the same with Belgium. Reforms to traditional political structures also rocked Sweden, the UK, and Piedmont-Sardinia.

Tabriz has fallen.

As an Interventionist state, the Mexican government could not dictate which factories to build, it could only fund factories already in construction. The Mexicans, in no mood to be picky, sent money to any factory that people would propose in hopes of getting an industrial sector started.

Some even said that their hopes that Mexico would be industrialized were...Idealistic.

The Mexican government responded to the above joke by heavily restricting tequila sales.

The British disappointed everyone when they failed to keep America out of British Columbia. Mapmakers everywhere contemplated suicide rather than drawing this abomination of a border.

Brazil's new borders were far more tasteful.

The British Doctrine of Lapse was a legal move in which the British East India Company would declare that a local Indian princely state was unfit to rule itself and directly annex it. Sadly for the people of western India, the annexation of Kutch created a border between the British and the powerful and unsubdued native state of Sindh.

American politics are confusing. Everything happens at once, after long periods of inaction.

With Idealism sorted, the Mexicans began study of the fascinating field of Chemistry, knowing that it had the potential to revolutionize their way of life.

How. How does this happen. Russia has vast natural resources, a large population, and every advantage in the world. The loss of most of Russia's prestige after its humiliating bankruptcy did not do wonders for Russia's reputation in the world.

People sometimes forget that there was a time when Social Justice wasn't primarily used as a pejorative by idiots.

Events abroad continued to heat up. The Second War of the Pacific featured Brazil and Chile against a grand coalition led by Venezuela, a war that held the entire future of South America in the balance.

Mexicans were more concerned with the recession caused by USA bypassing all its tariffs as the Americans took charge of Mexico's economy. Strangely, the Americans seemed to think that Mexico even wanted an alliance with them, and were shocked to be spurned multiple times.

Instead, Mexico began to develop modern medicine, knowing that its battlefield applications would soon come in handy and that increasing population growth would be key to Mexican survival as a free nation.

The best thing about growing cotton is that sometimes it makes a nation more prestigious, as the Pope admires his fine Mexican cotton robes.

The best thing about democracy is that sometimes it makes a nation more prestigious, as everyone else sings the praises of the "free" people of Mexico, toiling under an oligarchy constituting 1.5% of the population with the exclusive right to vote.

With Medicine sorted, Mexico turned its attention to getting modern versions of cavalry.

It was a tragedy, from the Mexican perspective, that the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed as early as it did. This act dramatically increased immigration to the United States, and starting earlier in its history meant far more people would be Americans later on.

The bizarre and stunning news that Paraguay had been annexed by Brazil sent shockwaves through Mexican halls of power, even though the great war in South America was far from over and Venezuela made some notable headway in the Amazon. The war for control of a continent continued apace.

No one in Mexico could quite understand what the Swiss envoy meant when he described that one of the Swiss cantons had been in a personal union with the King of Prussia but was no longer and was now a republican canton in Switzerland. Swiss politics and history were notoriously complex.

Far easier to understand was the aggressive and surprisingly highly-ranked Ottoman Empire, #6 in the world and ranked above the Sick Man of Europe, the bankrupt Russian Empire.

Mexico's preparation for the great reckoning with the USA continued, as the Mexicans discovered what were soon to become their most iconic tool of war: the Hussar.

Ed Note: :swoon: Hussars! Hussars are my favorite unit in V2. Never leave home without 1/10th of your army composition as Hussar, unless it's past the introduction of Airplanes.

Spanish anticlericalism shocked the consciences of the still-conservative people of Mexico. It was less than 20 years ago that Madrid still ruled these lands, after all.

The Mexicans' new Muzzle-Loaded Rifles gave their troops a new edge, while the Mexican scholars took a break from military matters to figure out the critical question of getting more gold out of the ground.

As Brazil was fleeing a total rout by the forces of Venezuela in the still-ongoing great war in South America, the British decisively put down a proposed Vietnamese/Burmese partition of Siam.

As America launched an incomprehensible war on Hawaii to force them to disband their nonexistent military, Brazil faced total destruction at the hands of the Venezuelan coalition and accepted a devastating peace in the end of 1845.

As Mexico developed new industrial techniques to better exploit their natural resources, Mexico's nascent arms industry received a shot in the arm from new techniques. It did nothing to stop the problems of Hussar recruitment delays due to difficulty sourcing the fancy Hussar uniforms, though. Luxury Clothes were far and away the most difficult military resource to supply.

Upon discovery of the British plan to invade Sindh, the British did away with the infamous reputation they received by handing over a stretch of tree and moose to the United States.

The unification of North Germany dramatically shook European Great Power politics. However, how would NGF fare between a wary France, a hostile Austria, and a broke and humiliated Russia?

Mexico had finally recovered enough to plot a war with the United States of America. Once it boosted its Army's Professionalism, the time would come to exit the American Sphere of Influence.

America's bizarre war with Hawaii and its even more bizarre colonial relationship with Liberia both ended in 1847.

The British subdued the powerful native state of Sindh, stretching their holdings in India far further west.

As the USA saw Mexican military strength dramatically improving, they tried to hold out their hands in alliance. Mexico could be the #2 player in the American camp, America's sidekick and junior partner in American dominance over the Western Hemisphere. All it had to do was accept the alliance. Mexicans had a vision of that world, a world where they hovered around the 15th-to-20th most important nation in the world, the reliable ally and enforcer of American power, covering a large swathe of the map but having little initiative, respect, or autonomy in the world. Some would like that world, but it struck Mexico as a bit...dull. Mexico would choose a different path.

Mexico would choose greatness.

Next Time: Mexico Chooses Greatness

End of Update Stats:

The World, 1848

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 28, 2017

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I guess we're closer to God than we thought. :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Love you Venezuela. What're the US pops looking like?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Love you Venezuela. What're the US pops looking like?

At this point, USA has ~4.3 million pops to Mexico's ~1.9 million. However, the USA has a massive shortage of Soldier pops, so they have a massively undersized professional army.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Is Mexico starting with an army of irregulars just a clunky and nonsensical way to allow Texas a chance at winning the War of Independence without being absorbed by the USA?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So as it turns out, I actually have Victoria 2 in my Steam library. How hard is it to learn the ropes of this game compared to, say, CK2?

EDIT: I'd like to play as one of the Muslim nations, if that's all right. Egypt, the Ottomans, maybe even Arabia. How hard would this be?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 28, 2017

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Time for the United State of Mexico, as in a single state.

Though the 1.5% voting population democracy is cool too.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Godspeed with fixing that godawful BC border.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fix the BC border... by creating Mexican British Columbia. :twisted:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

So as it turns out, I actually have Victoria 2 in my Steam library. How hard is it to learn the ropes of this game compared to, say, CK2?

EDIT: I'd like to play as one of the Muslim nations, if that's all right. Egypt, the Ottomans, maybe even Arabia. How hard would this be?

The Muslim world is in a rough shape at the campaign beginning, so it's feasible, but probably not very enjoyable unless you have a pretty high threshold for frustration.
One of the safest starting nations is probably the US, as they are already a hegemon and have a ton of scripted bonuses to help them out. (Chief among them the statue of liberty, that thing is just insane)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

Ottomans are tough, but do start out as a civilized GP and can prolong that by retaking Syria and Palestine from Egypt. Just remember that, compared to Russia and Austria, your starting armies are made of tissue paper by comparison and until you fix that, you are a paper tiger. Egypt is for veterans with some experience. Egypt and Nejd both have potential, but have massive hurdles to overcome.

Persia is probably a good candidate for a Muslim campaign. If you aren't stupid enough to get yourself dragged into a war with Russia like happened in this world, no one really craves your land and you can expand into Afghanistan and Central Asia. It still deals with Westernizing, but starts out at the 40% mark.

Brazil is a good tutorial country. No one in its neighborhood can match them.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 28, 2017

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jack2142 posted:

Is Mexico starting with an army of irregulars just a clunky and nonsensical way to allow Texas a chance at winning the War of Independence without being absorbed by the USA?

A LOT of countries have really, really weird starting army compositions. Russia has an entire army that's 8 brigades of Cuirassiers, for example, and the first thing any sane player would do would be to break it up and reassign them. (All cavalry is going to get absolutely wrecked) If you just try to use the starting armies, bad things will happen.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Jack2142 posted:

yes, but it doesn't work and AI Texas will lose to AI Mexico 99% of the time unless the US intervenes (in vanilla anyway, dunno if mods fix this)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

yes, but it doesn't work and AI Texas will lose to AI Mexico 99% of the time unless the US intervenes (in vanilla anyway, dunno if mods fix this)

In PDM, Mexico auto-loses by an event. As in - as soon as you move your army somewhere near Texans, Santa Anna gets captured by Texans and signs a peace treaty. You can either accept, or continue the war with massive penalties and US intervention, which you have little chance to withstand.

This would seem far-fetched except that it was how Mexico lost the Texan Independence War historically.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Thank you for LPing a run of Paradox's best game

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

HannibalBarca posted:

And the USA will always intervene.

At best, AI Mexico will annex Texas during the course of the war, which just changes the USA's war objective to Free Texas, which they'll do and annex it that way. If Mexico has annexed it first, though, they'll free all the slaves, which doesn't end up meaning much except that the free Afro-American pops of Texas will all assimilate because Slavery is the only thing keeping them out of the way of America's instant-assimilation lasers.

(The USA usually will eventually pass the Emancipation Proclamation decision, which bans slavery and adds Afro-American as an Accepted Culture, which means it's immune from assimilation. This doesn't always happen, though. In some games, the USA will ban slavery before the Slavery Debate prevents them from doing so, which means that, besides averting the Civil War, the Afro-American pops across the entire South will just assimilate into Dixie culture.)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Patter Song posted:

Persia is probably a good candidate for a Muslim campaign. If you aren't stupid enough to get yourself dragged into a war with Russia like happened in this world, no one really craves your land and you can expand into Afghanistan and Central Asia. It still deals with Westernizing, but starts out at the 40% mark.

Yeah, but they're Shiite :v: But yeah, thanks for the help! Guess it's Persia for me, then! Any tips on Westernizing? I vaguely recall EU2 making it so that you have to be right next to a Western power to do so, is it the same here?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, but they're Shiite :v: But yeah, thanks for the help! Guess it's Persia for me, then! Any tips on Westernizing? I vaguely recall EU2 making it so that you have to be right next to a Western power to do so, is it the same here?

You might want to look at the tutorial LP, both in general, and the westernization section:
https://lparchive.org/Victoria-II/
The important thing to note is that you can get Westernization points for conquering your neighbors.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chapter II: The So-Called "War Of Mexican Submission" 1848-49

In late January of 1848, Mexican military reforms left the Mexican Army significantly more professional than its Yankee counterpart. The Mexican government, with an army equal in size and better in quality than their American counterpart, saw little reason to continue in their subordinate role in the American sphere of influence, and seized their chance to break free.

Leaving the American sphere forced a difficult choice in Washington: it could either go to war with Mexico alone to bring Mexico to heel and back to its "rightful" place in the American sphere, go to war alongside its allies in a campaign to "cut Mexico down to size" and forcibly disband its military, or meekly submit to Mexico's blatant disrespect and be humiliated before the world.

The Americans bravely, if foolishly, picked the first option. It would not ask the Central Americans or the Colombians or any of its other allies to participate in this struggle: this war was to be between The USA and Mexico, one on one.

Neither side fooled around, and both immediately mobilized their conscript armies to join the professional ones.

Mexican scientists were hard at work trying to maximize agricultural outputs to make up for all the vacancies in the fields left by conscription, and managed to keep Mexico's economy afloat during the war.

They also did their part to contribute to the war effort. Mexican military superiority was key to overcoming America's larger population and its legendarily-talented generals.

The American counteroffensive was two-pronged. Winfield Scott and Zachary Taylor would try to restore order and repel the Mexicans in Kansas and Colorado, while Matthew Crittenden, a hitherto-unknown military wunderkind with astonishingly high military statistics, took the main American army in an invasion of Mexico through Texas.

The Americans made the mistake of coming piecemeal, and Santa Ana dictated that under no circumstances were the American forces to be allowed to unite, especially under the very dangerous Zachary Taylor. Zachary Taylor was competent. Winfield Scott...

No one is quite certain how Winfield Scott gained a command, let alone the command of several whole armies after he lost them one after another.

So it was that the great Zachary Taylor himself was forced to command a group of inexperienced draftees with no military training, and as such, was helpless before Santa Ana's hardened veterans.

America's hopes were now pinned on the brash young Matthew Crittenden, who pulled north from Texas to confront the Mexican Army in Missouri. The Americans' entire hopes of winning the war depended on Crittenden pulling a miraculous victory.

Though Crittenden's men fought ferociously, the American loss at Joplin left the outcome of the war no longer in doubt.

At this point, the war no longer was just about Mexican economic separation from America, but about Mexico getting back Colorado, which they still felt was unjustly stolen from them years earlier.

The disastrous American setbacks had left America vulnerable and borderline defenseless.

Even Mexico's joke of a navy was winning victories against the far more powerful American fleet.

Even at the peak of the war, Mexico's economy was doing better than ever.

However, the Mexican people demanded peace. They would not tolerate stricter demands against the Yankees. The mobilization of young Mexican workers against their will had left significant economic distress back home and the electorate sent a clear message: peace now. Despite Santa Ana's fervent belief that he could gain far more than just Colorado, there wasn't the will to continue the fight.

America truly lucked out in the end of this war. Santa Ana's dreams of the end of American power in the West had been stymied and he would have to settle for a few acres of cattle and mountains.

Colorado had been American for such a short time that not a single Yankee lived in it. Over the next few years, Mexico would try to do what America could not do and make Colorado Mexican.

The very short Mexican-American War had several major consequences. Though relatively minor in terms of territorial concessions, especially compared with the simultaneous Third Ottoman-Egyptian War which would result in the Turks retaking all of Lebanon, Transjordan, and Palestine in a single war, the war still proved a shock to observers around the world. America was humiliated by the result and had to rebuild its army from scratch. The rebuilt American army would feature far more units from the North than the South, which some have argued intimidated Southern fire-eaters and made them less inclined towards secession. The Americans also unceremoniously canned the incompetent Winfield Scott. Americans found themselves inclined towards reconciliation with Mexico even now. There was little lasting ill-will from the war, especially as few in America cared about the obscure frontier territory of Colorado and its loss was of no material concern to the United States. Indeed, even after the defeat and the gradual acceptance that the Mexican Army was the strongest land force in the Western Hemisphere (barring the massive forces the United Kingdom inexplicably kept in Guyana and Canada, which were together larger than the Mexican and American militaries combined), American naval superiority, greater population, and massive economic advantages left the scales squarely tilted in America's favor. America could afford to be magnanimous in defeat, as it had lost little of real consequence.

As for Mexico, the war had put it under great strain, but the economic benefits of leaving America's economic sphere were immediate and massive, as were the benefits of massively expanding its agricultural sector, particularly regarding the highly-profitable fruit market. However, Mexico was still far from her dream of great power status, and was still in no position to aim for its dream of expanding its holdings in the Caribbean. American protection of Haiti kept Hispanola a difficult target (as did the infamy resulting in annexing an independent nation), and Spain was as yet too powerful to directly fight for Cuba. If Mexican dreams of "freeing" Cuba from Spain were to be pursued, Spain would have to be suitably distracted, but such a distraction would be impossible unless a great Crisis would divide all of Europe against itself, sparking a massive free-for-all war for the domination of the continent. Surely, if that would happen, Spain would be helpless to protect its New World colonies while it desperately defended itself. Yet...such was clearly a flight of fancy at this point. Surely, this soon after the Napoleonic Wars, no one would be stupid enough to spark a general war across the old continent of Europe...right?

To Be Continued

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mexican control over the entire pacific coast when?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Mexican control over the entire pacific coast when?

Vicky 2's very...strict infamy ceiling is a problem with that goal. I paid full price for Colorado and it was 9 infamy. The ceiling is 25.

You can probably see the problem here.

EDIT: Sorry about the lack of a map. The next update will have one.

In the mean time, here's an image that roughly shows our new border with the US. It's a screenshot from a few weeks after this update ends.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 5, 2017

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Mexican control over Bali when?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Just curious, does USA still attempt to sphere Japan even if they fail Manifest Destiny?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
AI USA will do so, because it'll rapidly sphere the whole New World, get bored, and start sphering Asia.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Will you be planing on taking Oklahoma? Those current borders are killing me.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

LordGugs posted:

Will you be planing on taking Oklahoma? Those current borders are killing me.

My current plan is to eventually spin Oklahoma off as a Cherokee country, not to take it for myself. It hasn't happened as yet as to where I've played (the next update), but I intend to have Oklahoma independent, partially so it can become a major immigrant magnet and siphon off some of the US' flow (all to one state, too, so Oklahoma City could be as big as NYC eventually).

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Odd, I remember reading that the real-life Winfield Scott was very good at his job.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Odd, I remember reading that the real-life Winfield Scott was very good at his job.

Winfield lead the US Army in the Mexican American War and was the highest ranked Union military official at the onset of the Civil War (stepping back due to his age) and broadly laid out much of the initial military strategy of the Union - namely the Anaconda Plan and the war in the West. This was when he was in his 70's. And he holds the record for longest serving American soldier in an active duty commission.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

Patter Song posted:

My current plan is to eventually spin Oklahoma off as a Cherokee country, not to take it for myself. It hasn't happened as yet as to where I've played (the next update), but I intend to have Oklahoma independent, partially so it can become a major immigrant magnet and siphon off some of the US' flow (all to one state, too, so Oklahoma City could be as big as NYC eventually).

That is even more awesome!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What the heck. That seems really inadequate for a first war and it feels like the US is gonna roll you over next war. Or is this HOIV thinking overshadowing how it goes in Vic2?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What the heck. That seems really inadequate for a first war and it feels like the US is gonna roll you over next war. Or is this HOIV thinking overshadowing how it goes in Vic2?

Blame the Mexican voters. I would've had to continue the war for over another year to build up the Jingoism to add another wargoal, and during that time the attrition would be eating away at my soldier pops and probably leading to me having to significantly downsize my army after the war. It was worth it to just peace out and take what I could. (I guess I could've also just retreated back to Mexico and called general election after general election in hopes that I could use the election issue to raise Jingoism, but that's also a very time-consuming strategy and would take years).

The USA isn't really able to field a really large army until the midgame, because their population is more spread out. This USA is not crippled in the least, despite having its entire Army wiped out in this war, because it will raise a new one in short order, but that's not the worst thing either, because if the USA is too crippled, the LP ceases to have any sense of danger. (Unless the British drop a hundred thousand men in Belize and invade me for the Yucatan or something)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Patter Song posted:

(Unless the British drop a hundred thousand men in Belize and invade me for the Yucatan or something)

This has been how most of my Mexico games have gone, so good luck.

(Well more, gotten access through the US and poured over the border from the north.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Mexico is a pretty cool country to play in V2, because you're one of the only countries really forced to square up against all of the insane bonuses that the USA gets, and due to infamy / jingoism it's really loving hard to take a good chunk out of them before their immigrant attracting super powers kick in

please go communist

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Mexico is a pretty cool country in general. Do all kindsa neat stuff with cactii.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

RabidWeasel posted:

Mexico is a pretty cool country to play in V2, because you're one of the only countries really forced to square up against all of the insane bonuses that the USA gets, and due to infamy / jingoism it's really loving hard to take a good chunk out of them before their immigrant attracting super powers kick in

please go communist

I gotta say, I really dislike the special immigration modifier the US gets. It would feel much more natural to model the immigration attraction based on the political system, the values of the society and the opportunities it provides, rather than basing it on some purely arbitrary event. It's just so clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Bot 02 posted:

I gotta say, I really dislike the special immigration modifier the US gets. It would feel much more natural to model the immigration attraction based on the political system, the values of the society and the opportunities it provides, rather than basing it on some purely arbitrary event. It's just so clunky.

As far as I'm aware all of these had little to do with the immigration to the US. War and famine was where it at.

• Locked thread