Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dance Officer posted:

As far as I'm aware all of these had little to do with the immigration to the US. War and famine was where it at.

Then base migration on that, rather than "manifest destiny - you gtet all the migrants!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Bot 02 posted:

I gotta say, I really dislike the special immigration modifier the US gets. It would feel much more natural to model the immigration attraction based on the political system, the values of the society and the opportunities it provides, rather than basing it on some purely arbitrary event. It's just so clunky.

The more liberal a coutnry is, the more immigrants it gets. Granted, this is still barely important compared to the modifier for being in the New World, but still.

Dance Officer posted:

As far as I'm aware all of these had little to do with the immigration to the US. War and famine was where it at.

Wars in V2 push out a lot of migrants.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Wars in V2 push out a lot of migrants.

yeah, to understand the insane bonus the US gets, you have to understand a bit about how migration works, because it's a two step process.
First potential migrants are pushed out of their country of origin, through unemployment, lack of goods, warfare etc
Then they decide where to move to, and here the American (and Australasian) countries get a big bonus to attract immigrants. That is added up with the bonus to attraction from their policies and only the US gets a special bonus on top of that which virtually guarantees that they always get the lion's share of immigrants, leaving only a little for other countries to fight over.
So the US' bonus doesn't guarantee that there will be migrants, and they usually don't get much in the first decade of the game, but once there are migrants, the US nearly inevitably gets a large chunk of it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

sheep-dodger posted:

yeah, to understand the insane bonus the US gets, you have to understand a bit about how migration works, because it's a two step process.
First potential migrants are pushed out of their country of origin, through unemployment, lack of goods, warfare etc
Then they decide where to move to, and here the American (and Australasian) countries get a big bonus to attract immigrants. That is added up with the bonus to attraction from their policies and only the US gets a special bonus on top of that which virtually guarantees that they always get the lion's share of immigrants, leaving only a little for other countries to fight over.
So the US' bonus doesn't guarantee that there will be migrants, and they usually don't get much in the first decade of the game, but once there are migrants, the US nearly inevitably gets a large chunk of it.

You should also remember that uncivs don't have emigrants...but when they do civ, the Indian minors and China start spitting out tens of thousands a month.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Something I did in a "stomp USA as Mexico" game was, after the first war, create a megasphere featureing most South and Central American states. They would then occupy stuff in America, while I would most occupy whereever they have Soldier pops. Some of them are pretty jingoistic dictatorships, and like to add wargoals.
Paraguay kind relocated to the Great lakes, and after they got one province there it was kind of trivial for them to get them to conquer others. This is one way to get around the super restrictive badboy limit. It was some pretty major border gore to have Chilean, Paraguyan, Peruan and Argetinean parts of North America.

USA declared on my basically like clockwork.
However, in one war, Paraguay had enough warscore to make a seperate peace for I think Maine. This put them over the badboy limit, and UK + France + Germany DOWed them.
Turns alternate reality Paraguy was even more suicidal then OTL Paraguay (war of the Triple alliance -.-) so I naturally backed them.
Things got pretty interesting from there.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Too bad this LP seems to have gotten too close to God, ya know what I'm sayin~

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
No penguins, deceitful or otherwise, allowed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

:psyduck:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

Are Scandinavian polar bears okay?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Chapter III: (Mostly) Peace and (Mostly) Prosperity: 1849-1859

No, the United States isn't crippled. No, the recent war is not going to even be a roadblock to American power. It did, however, force the Americans to rethink their ambitions for hegemony in the Western Hemisphere and focus on somewhat more limited goals.

Goals like forcing Tokyo to open up to the world.

Goals like debating the increasingly contentious issue of slavery. No one in Washington wanted to reopen hostilities with Mexico, and Mexico was happy to oblige and build peacefully at home for a time.

The Mexican economy began to develop, slowly but surely.

The voters, meanwhile, settled into the peaceful sleep of Reaction.

The British launched a surprise offensive against their allies of 500 years, Portugal, intending to seize Goa.

Mexico's dreams of using the opportunity to smash Spain's New World powers once and for all were stymied by Spain's stunningly rapid surrender. Madrid, knowing the war was hopeless, threw in the towel before its military could be seriously damaged. Mexico's Cuban ambitions would have to wait.

When a country's economy is heavily dependent on Cattle, the discovery of Mechanized Slaughtering Blocks should be a joyous celebration. Few seemed to realize the significance to the economy of killing 20% more cattle, but the Mexican government certainly appreciated it. Why do people ignore these things? 20% more Cattle is huge for my economy right now.

The Ottomans decided to stagger out their piecemeal reconquest of the Levant one more war. They would regret this decision.

Though epidemics would continue to plague Mexico, they would become rarer and rarer as the century progressed.

Mexico's Reactionary regime delighted in the idea of turning their new Coloradan colony into a penal colony. "No one returns from Denver" became the slogan of the Coloradan colony, and is still used to this day by the Coloradan Tourism Board.

All of Central Asia erupted in flames as Persia and Russia both sought new colonial concessions. Both were successful.

Economic discoveries continued apace.

Mexicans translated theorists' works into Spanish.

Production boomed.

Mexicans even celebrated the news that the powerful Kingdom of Denmark was establishing a conservative, limited Constitution as evidence that Denmark was on the "Mexican Model."

Mexico went from an obscure bit player in the Coal market to an important exporter.

The rapid development of Mexican goods proved exciting, yet people wondered when Mexico would get around to actually building factories like Europe had. More efficient agriculture and mining were great, but weren't the end-all of economics, either.

New politicians argued that if only the government would stop interfering with the economy, it'd be allowed to boom. Mexico's Reactionary electorate remained skeptical.

The only war Mexico fought in this decade-long peace oddly enough found Mexico siding with its once-adversary America in furthering a Colombian push into Ecuador. While the Europeans were distracted by France's insane campaign to conquer a share of jungle for itself, the Colombian-Mexican-American forces effortlessly compelled a humiliating defeat for Ecuador.

Mindful of its prestige, Mexico saw to it that the Ecuadorians realize just how humiliating their defeat had been.

The rise of North German economic power reinforced to Mexico that, no matter how far it had come, it was not yet a Great Power on a European scale. That day was coming, and soon.

Believing that the best defense was a strong defense, the Mexicans sought to discover how to build stronger forts on the American frontier.

The rapid population growth of mid-19th century Mexico has been attributed to the discovery of genetics, though what the relationship was remains a mystery.

The recent popularity of Aruba's legendary beaches had led the world to declare the Caribbean island a "Model Colony." The rest of the world dreamed covetously of the prestige of Aruba. Mexico, hiding the horrors of the Coloradan penal colony from the world, simply prayed that the horrors of Denver would never be revealed to the outside world.

The Radicals were a group of philosophy students and John Stuart Mill fans who spent their time hitting the ski slopes in Swiss resorts. Few paid them mind.

Of more concern was Argentina's decision to restore the monarchy. "What monarchy?" the world asked.

Mexico's infantry would soon be the most advanced around, using Breech-Loaded weapons to decrease reload time and dramatically increase their defensive capabilities.

The Sicilians, sensing French distraction in their war in Brazil, attempted to "pull a Mexico" and leave French influence. Two Sicilies would have a far more uphill battle than Mexico had, as they found themselves opposed to two Great Powers.

The British conquest of a stretch of Baluchi desert wasn't a concern. The Mexican discovery of far more effective defensive formations was.

With France's inexplicable war of conquest in Brazil over, the Sicilians had to face the focused might of France alone. The French had decided to bet against a Sicilian when death was on the line.

It was a good bet. With French forces besieging Naples, it seemed that there was no way this war wouldn't end with a humiliating loss for the Two Sicilies.

At least, until King Ferdinand of the Two Sicilies decided to avoid losing the war the only way he knew how to: to announce his nation's immediate annexation by Piedmont-Sardinia. The formation of Italy created a new Great Power and upset the delicate balance of power in Europe. Mexicans knew that there was tremendous upside to this: a general European war sparked by Italy could only help Mexican goals of becoming the #8 power in the world.

But if Mexico sought to be a Great Power, it would need men.

And arms.

Arma virumque cano, as Virgil put it.

It would also need a far more powerful government than the sleepy oligarchy of the Reactionaries.

After all, they had strong competition now.

They would need to seek any glory, whether military, economic, or even scientific.

Those behind them sought to catch up, those ahead sought to increase their leads.

Mexico might even need...a Navy. Though people across the country had dismissed navies as useless, the government in Mexico City dreamed of glory, and just as Jason needed a vessel to pursue glory, so did Mexico.

After all, the Mexican dream of planting their banner on the soil of Africa as a conquering power could only be realized with a powerful navy.

As Mexico's population boomed, its Grain supply boomed alongside. Ed: Take that, Thomas Malthus!

No one, in any court around the world, understood why Italy would declare war on Austria without any allies and with an inferior military. It seemed extremely...audacious.

:italy:

At least Ethiopia could back up its crazy delusions of grandeur. The Italian failure left it as a declining Great Power, with only months before it lost its diplomatic status. The Italians had to do something, no matter how insane, to keep their hold on legitimacy as a Great Power.

And so, the day after the Ottomans finished reconquering the Levant from Egypt, Russian-backed Greek rebels declared that Thessaly was rightfully part of Greece and sparked a crisis calling for international arbitration.

Arbitration where one side was headed by Italy. Italy, desperate for any sign of legitimacy as a Great Power, decided to risk everything on recruiting friends for a war with the Russians. The Italians declared themselves the defenders of the Ottoman Empire and demanded that Russia disarm.

With two evenly matched sides, no one desired arbitration. This would go to war.

As 1859 drew to a close, the greatest war since the fall of Napoleon commenced in Europe, as men in Mexico salivated at the prospect of a weakened and distracted Spain, too preoccupied with the general war in Europe to defend its most prized possession: the rich island of Cuba.

The World, 1859

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 21, 2017

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes this lp

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I will never stop gazing in wonder at just how stupid and pointless crisis wars always end up being, it's probably my favourite single game mechanic in any Paradox game from a simple "yup, that's Victorian politics!" point of view.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I just noticed Oklahoma's panhandle juts in your borders. I can no longer support any motion involving Oklahoma that does not involve its annexation to Mexico.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I love Vicky 2, still my favorite Paradox game despite everything. Fun LP, don't think I remember one that played such a (relative) backwater!

Seeing Venezuela and France randomly conquer chunks of Brazil and such have got me asking, though... Is there any particular reason you still play vanilla, beyond not liking any mods? I've been playing HPM for so long I forgot what it was like.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I just noticed Oklahoma's panhandle juts in your borders. I can no longer support any motion involving Oklahoma that does not involve its annexation to Mexico.

Seconded!

Also can we buy Alaska?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

RubricMarine posted:

I love Vicky 2, still my favorite Paradox game despite everything. Fun LP, don't think I remember one that played such a (relative) backwater!

Seeing Venezuela and France randomly conquer chunks of Brazil and such have got me asking, though... Is there any particular reason you still play vanilla, beyond not liking any mods? I've been playing HPM for so long I forgot what it was like.

I play it in vanilla because the mods tend to try to do away with Victoria II's wackiness. I probably wouldn't have a world where Austria just decides to bisect Italy out of spite or France decides to expand French Guiana into Brazil proper if I were playing with a mod, and I think that's far less fun. I love how nonsensical and wacky the AI is in this game. It's not Victoria II if Spain doesn't randomly decide to conquer the Arabian peninsula or if multiple general European wars don't break out over Greece.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Colorado is going to become our Siberian/Kazakh gulag, isn't it.

Also, having never played Vicky II, is the rise of the Comanches a thing? I'm guessing not judging by how the northern provinces are still mostly stable.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

bibliosabreur posted:

Colorado is going to become our Siberian/Kazakh gulag, isn't it.

Also, having never played Vicky II, is the rise of the Comanches a thing? I'm guessing not judging by how the northern provinces are still mostly stable.

Sadly, no. The only Native American tribes in the USA that are given their own type of pops are the Apache, Sioux, and Cherokee. (Mexico proper has a whole range of them, of course)

Canada has Metis broken out, and they even have a revolter tag (that never actually revolts).

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL
Good to see this LP is back up and rolling! I'm curious to see what moves Mexico is going to pull next...

Jalak
Nov 23, 2013
I thought that having two or more great powers on both side of a war leads to a world war being declared. Instead, it looks like a 'normal' war that happens to involve over half of the great powers. Is something different about this Greek crisis that isn't triggering it, or a bug?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Jalak posted:

I thought that having two or more great powers on both side of a war leads to a world war being declared. Instead, it looks like a 'normal' war that happens to involve over half of the great powers. Is something different about this Greek crisis that isn't triggering it, or a bug?

Great Wars haven't been discovered yet - they need a certain tech to be researched first and somebody to get that invention. They only happen late game because of that.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Plus, AI Great Powers rarely abstain from crises so it is quite a common occurrence for all of them to be fighting at once. "Normal war that happens to involve over half of the great powers" is pretty much the definition of a crisis war in V2.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No isolationist AIs huh

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Patter Song posted:

Sadly, no. The only Native American tribes in the USA that are given their own type of pops are the Apache, Sioux, and Cherokee. (Mexico proper has a whole range of them, of course)

Canada has Metis broken out, and they even have a revolter tag (that never actually revolts).

I've seen Metis revolt once, but that was in a game where I so thoroughly pulverized Britain as China that Jacobins,Communists, and eventually fascists played a revolving door in London.

It only ever happens if you blockade and then occupy every.single.British.province for about two decades.

I was sure that I had delivered the knockout blow to Britain but they ended up recovering in about twenty years after about ten government changes. But, by then the game was almost over and my spies immigrants had become roughly a third of the US population. China before House Divided was game breaking when it managed to industrialize.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jalak posted:

Around 1870, the "Great War" tech will fire, which will mean that you can add more war goals for cheaper and both sides can add the Great War Capitulation wargoal for free (which basically is the Cut Down To Size wargoal). Around 1900, the War to End All Wars tech will fire, which means war goals get even cheaper in Great Wars. We're still in 1859, so no one yet has thought of this war involving every significant power in Europe as a "Great" War for some reason.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Patter Song posted:

Around 1870, the "Great War" tech will fire, which will mean that you can add more war goals for cheaper and both sides can add the Great War Capitulation wargoal for free (which basically is the Cut Down To Size wargoal). Around 1900, the War to End All Wars tech will fire, which means war goals get even cheaper in Great Wars. We're still in 1859, so no one yet has thought of this war involving every significant power in Europe as a "Great" War for some reason.

It's not like everyone in Europe fighting everyone else is news, see the Napoleonic wars for example.
I can honestly buy that the last free for all is still felt as "more of the same", Europe is not industrialized enough for Great War-level warfare, although it's getting close.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I am SO sorry for my absence the last month and a half. It's a combination of getting suddenly busy with work stuff, moving (I hate moving), and, well, getting distracted with other poo poo, as the people on Discord will let you know. Also, I was getting frustrated because a certain major event that should happen in Chapter V wasn't firing. I'm going to solve that myself.

Chapter IV is screenshotted and is being written. You can expect it within the next 24 hours. It's a doozy and has been taking me a while, but as you'll remember, we about to declare war on Spain while a pan-European war was going on, and I couldn't end the update until the war ended, and the war is going to...um...take a while.

This is not dead. To prove it, I'm going to make a :toxx: that I will have at least Chapter V up by New Years Day. I think I should be able to maintain a faster pace after that, with my move over and everything.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
V2 LPs are pretty hard work to keep going without getting totally bogged down so the effort is appreciated :shobon:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Your LPs are good and worth the wait. Real life comes first :)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Don't stress.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

I am SO sorry for my absence the last month and a half. It's a combination of getting suddenly busy with work stuff, moving (I hate moving), and, well, getting distracted with other poo poo, as the people on Discord will let you know. Also, I was getting frustrated because a certain major event that should happen in Chapter V wasn't firing. I'm going to solve that myself.

Chapter IV is screenshotted and is being written. You can expect it within the next 24 hours. It's a doozy and has been taking me a while, but as you'll remember, we about to declare war on Spain while a pan-European war was going on, and I couldn't end the update until the war ended, and the war is going to...um...take a while.

This is not dead. To prove it, I'm going to make a :toxx: that I will have at least Chapter V up by New Years Day. I think I should be able to maintain a faster pace after that, with my move over and everything.

quoting. I am glad you are okay and I a glad that this will continue

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.

Seconding this. I'm just excited this will continue, I love V2 LPs.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
RL comes first, take care

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Absolutely agree with everyone else. Don't stress yourself too hard over internet posting.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chapter IV: The Great War and the Cuban War: 1859-1864

This chapter is a two-parter with a Chapter V which will take the story up to 1868, and as such, there is no World Map at the end of this update. There will be one for the following update. Thank you for understanding

It was 1859, and all of Europe was ablaze. The coalition led by defeated and humiliated Italy nonetheless contained the powerful North German Federation and the United Kingdom, as well as the teetering-yet-still-vital Ottoman Empire and Spain, while Russia's coalition contained France and Austria. It was not immediately clear who had the advantage in this war: NGF, though mighty, was outflanked on three sides between France, Austria, and Russia, but the French themselves were surrounded on four sides by NGF, Italy, Spain, and Britain. Russia had recently gone bankrupt and was eager to prove itself still relevant, but the Ottoman military was nothing to sneeze at. This war would be massive, total, and have far-reaching consequences.

No one in Mexico cared about that, though. In 1821, Mexico had successfully broken away from the Spanish, but Spain still kept an iron grip on two American holdings: Cuba and Puerto Rico. Clearly, these last victims of Spanish imperialism deserved their liberty, and with Spain occupied in a brutal struggle with France and with only feeble Portugal to defend them, the time for Cuban liberation had come. Of course, no one in Mexico City thought that Cuban liberation meant Cuban independence...

While, at home, the Mexican economy was booming, and the massive 50% increase in fishing was a massive boon to certain coastal areas, Ed. Note: I cannot understate how huge this invention always is, and everyone always ignores it. 50% more Fish = a LOT of cash Mexico needed more. Mexico needed...to corner nearly 20% of the world's Tobacco market to itself by grabbing the island of Cuba. The evergreen profitability of Tobacco would revolutionize the economy...after all, for it to lose value, people would have to stop smoking, and that will certainly never happen.

With all eyes on Europe, who would miss a little war elsewhere?

...Apparently a lot of people. Mexico didn't mind the infamy, of course. Cuba was worth it.

Cuba is worth the bad reputation. It's provable. Experiments and logic will back it. It's simply empirically true.

While the rest of the world was distracted, a major war broke out in Central Asia to try to destroy the growing power of Afghanistan. Meanwhile, the Ethiopian landgrab against the teetering monarchy in Cairo continued apace.

As they watched the rest of Europe descend into chaos, the workers of neutral Krakow pondered if the workingmen of all these warring nations had more in common with each other than with the oppressors sending them out to fight and die. No one cared or listened.

As Mexico prepared to plunge into the horrors of war, it looked like their Spanish rivals were stronger than initially expected. The French monarchy buckled under the pressure of invasion and the British occupation of Paris. Indeed, it looked like this war would be decided by whether Austria could crush warleader Italy before the NGF could crush the other warleader, Russia.

Whether winning or losing, though, Spain was distracted. That was the key point. Who cared if the Spanish occupied Toulouse and marched north? The Spanish soldiers in France couldn't be dispatched to help Cuba. This was still the moment.

Surely, America's tensions over slavery will boil over into war any day now!

Any...day...now...

The South's stubborn refusal to secede despite overwhelming Liberal and Socialist electoral victories in America and tension over slavery reaching unheard-of levels of social Consciousness frustrated many in Mexico, but maybe a Civil War occurring later would be better. If it happened at all, that was.

Mexican artillery would be ready to aid if Americans did go to blows again.

Mexico could finally build modern ships to ferry its troops! None too quickly, too, as Steam Transports were built on the spot for the coming invasion.

Speaking of invasions, people in Mexico City boggled at the logistics of the British army marching on the overland from India on the Russian Caucasus, one of the boldest feats in the history of warfare. The move took the Russians completely by surprise, as the Russian army offensive against the Ottomans turned around to face the unexpected invasion.

Russia tried to mask its massive setbacks in the Caucasus by proclaiming itself the protector of all Eastern Christians. Its massive failures against every foe except the Ottomans belied that claim, as the North Germans marched on Riga and the British marched on Tsaritsyn.

France's utter humiliation led the Belgians to disassociate themselves from French economic domination. The French government, in exile in Algiers, didn't even raise a finger to object, as it was too busy drinking away its sorrows over the nation's near-complete occupation.

On New Year's Day, 1861, Mexican forces finally made their move on Cuba. The massive Spanish garrison in Havana would be a formidable foe, but it was also the sum total of the entire Spanish presence in the New World. If this force could be defeated, Madrid would have to send more forces, forces they didn't have available.

Spain's forces, though triumphant, were in no position to leave the field of battle. The Russian alliance had its entire hopes pinned on a mad Austrian drive towards Rome. Italy was still the alliance leader of the Italo/Anglo/Spanish/German/Turkish forces, and were Rome to fall, the war could yet be won. With Spanish troops beginning to march into Italy proper to relieve the Italians, though, this hope seemed forlorn at best.

The Spanish force finally met Mexican steel at Camaguey, but was totally unprepared for what they found. The terrain and General Arista's defensive prowess left the Spaniards utterly incapable of utilizing their superior numbers.

The results were utterly predictable.

The rest of the world puzzled at the news of the new monarchy in Uruguay. How does that even work? Who is king?

Ethiopia's impressive aggrandizement at Egypt's expense changed the balance of power in Africa yet again. As the Great Powers of Europe planned out an eventual partition of the continent, the massive size of Ethiopia could pose some interesting strategic questions.

Luckily for Mexico, it now had people who worked full time on nothing but interesting strategic questions.

The destruction of what remained of the Spanish garrison in Cuba was not an interesting strategic question, it was merely butchery.

As the war against Spain looked better and better, Russia's chances in Europe seemed bleaker and bleaker.

A daring Portuguese landing in Mexico went exactly as well as could be expected.

The war ended on humiliating terms for the Russian alliance. Italy reconnected itself and Russia was forced to fully disarm, dropping it below even Secondary Power status. France, meanwhile, had to give up its recent gains in Brazil to Britain. Things weren't fantastic for the victors, either, as Italy had to drop out of Great Power status due to losing its entire military. The results radically reoriented global power:

Mexico was now recognized as #9 in the world, with the two Low Countries assuming Great Power status of their own. A victory over Spain would place Mexico over Austria as an undisputed Great Power. Nothing could stop them now.

It'd take something silly like cannibals eating a botanical expedition to tarnish Mexico's luster at this point, and surely that won't...well...blast.

Clearly, the solution was to take even more territory from Spain. Puerto Rico was Spain's final bastion in the New World...but could be Mexico's launching-off point for the Old. It would be a fantastic staging ground for a proposed colonial push into Africa.

Mexico's intentions are all positive! What are you talking about?

It turns out that inventing the idea of pragmatism weighs exactly as much on the global consciousness as having a botanical expedition eaten by cannibals. Who knew?

In 1862, President Lincoln threw open the American West to homesteaders with a lot of free land, and the conspicuous lack of a Southern secession and civil war meant that people from around the world took him up on it, massively boosting American immigration.

Afghanistan won its "Afghanistan vs everyone" war in Central Asia.

Not content to merely flood his country with immigrants and cheap land, President Lincoln also facilitated a coup in Hawaii and annexed the island kingdom wholesale, increasing American power in the Pacific. Honest Abe was a scary neighbor. It would really help if the Southern states would realize how scary he was and split up America. Any day now, slaveholders, it's time to make your move. Tick tock.

For the next stage of the war, Mexican troops would have to go to some unhospitable climes, and improving their resistance to attrition would help tremendously.

Despite Mexican victories, Spain and Portugal were in no mood to surrender. Mexico would have to take the war to them. However, this scared the electorate senseless. The people wanted peace, even the wealthy. There was only one party that promised peace. The Mexican electorate, consisting of the richest 0.5% of the population, therefore, did the only sensible thing they could think of to end the war:

:psyboom:

The new Socialist government had extensive plans for the economy, especially because they quite reasonably expected their stay in power to be...short. However, in the mean time, they had to end the war.

A victory off the coast of British Brazil brought hope to the people that the war might finally be in its last days, but the government needed to be sure. While the expeditionary force carried out its bold plans to invade Africa devised by the previous government, the new government plotted something new.

While the Bavarian government celebrated past glories and the French sought to fend off humiliation by annexing Madagascar, Mexico made moves both military and diplomatic.

The Mexican expeditionary force suffered a loss as its commander, former President Santa Ana, passed away, but it was all for the best. If he had ever returned to Mexico, he'd have faced certain exile. Dying in Guinea-Bissau let him end his days with honor.

He'd never have had the stomach for what Mexico's new government was planning, anyway.

Spain would never surrender. The Socialists had been elected to bring peace, and peace is what they would bring.

The day after the American alliance was signed, Spain handed over Cuba and Puerto Rico. Spain had no appetite for fighting the American giant, particularly as that American giant was not involved in a bloody fratricidal war that would distract and weaken it for years. Had such a "civil" war taken place, this strategy would've been ineffectual, but the lack of it served Mexican interests for once.

This victory put Mexicans in a patriotic mood, and excited interest in art and culture celebrating the nation. Mexico was considerably behind the times of the arts, but were bound and determined to catch up. One visionary young artist even proclaimed that, though Mexican art was half a century behind in 1864, by the 1870s it would be pioneering bold new styles. When asked what these new styles he envisioned would look like, he described blurry pictures with dots instead of lines and a conspicuous lack of the color black. He was promptly sent to a local asylum.

Peace secured, the Socialist government in Mexico decided to give the penal colony of Colorado full statehood in Mexico. The slogan "No one ever leaves Denver" went from an ominous threat of a life of toil to an aspirational slogan calling to mind tourism and prosperous silver mines.

As 1864 continued, Mexico found itself yet again on the cusp of greatness, but not quite reaching its goal. Could it ever break into the top eight powers of the world and be accepted as truly great? What would it do if it could?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So AIs will ally you even if that pulls them into a war? Does it happen the other way around, too? If I were playing Spain I’d be pissed.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fat Samurai posted:

So AIs will ally you even if that pulls them into a war? Does it happen the other way around, too? If I were playing Spain I’d be pissed.

Yeah, that's entirely possible if the AI figures the war isn't a problem (which was true in this case, since Mexico was already winning). GPs sticking their dicks into minor wars can save your bacon, but also really ruin your day. That combined with GPs that have a country sitting at Friendly on the influence meter intervening in favor of that country has also ruined many a war before.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

All you have to do is enter the top 8 and you'll automatically leave the USA sphere, right?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

wiegieman posted:

All you have to do is enter the top 8 and you'll automatically leave the USA sphere, right?

He's got to stay there long enough to become a gp, which takes at least half a year, but then, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, that's entirely possible if the AI figures the war isn't a problem (which was true in this case, since Mexico was already winning). GPs sticking their dicks into minor wars can save your bacon, but also really ruin your day. That combined with GPs that have a country sitting at Friendly on the influence meter intervening in favor of that country has also ruined many a war before.

I'd forgot about that. Boy was that a source of ragequits back when V2 was a thing I played.

sheep-dodger posted:

He's got to stay there long enough to become a gp, which takes at least half a year, but then, yes.

Don't you become a GP automatically, but the former #8 has 12 months in which to re-secure its place, meaning there's 9 GPs in the meanwhile? I seem to remember it working like that but I could be wrong.

• Locked thread