Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Guys I am really concerned about the erasure of the 76% of black democratic primary voters who didn't vote for Bernie by prominent white leftists on the somethingawful dot com forums.

So, the implicit argument that you're making here is that since it's only a potential 24% of these people, they don't matter?

How many black people having their opinions dismissed is enough to make it a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not a dem.

Oh, you're a Republican? Explains a lot about you, to be honest.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Edit- skimmed the work. People shouldn't overgeneralize. Someone overgeneralized on twitter. It happens. Woopee doo he must be a dirty centrist! Get him!

Watch those goalposts move!

"Okay, after arguing about this thing for a page, I will admit it happened, but the real problem is a centrist's feelings got hurt."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I do not think that then making the conclusion that democrats/centrists/leftists are the real racists is a good take

Literally no one said "the real racists" like we're implying that only centrists are racist and no one else, stop projecting your fears into other's posts.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

C Everett Koop is a troll and not to be taken seriously, I would think you would have known this from your time spent in the dems are a waste thread.

Surprisingly, despite agreeing with every single leftist's goals in that thread, you remain stubbornly clung to your identity as a centrist because you think it makes you seem smart or mature or something, and it's really loving sad to see.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm sorry my personal identity is a problem for you. Maybe you shouldn't be so judgemental based on simplistic labels?

Dude, I feel bad for you, I'm not like, existentially offended by your existence as a self proclaimed proud centrist.

This isn't hate, it's frustration. Educate yourself.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

"You shouldn't call yourself a centrist, even though we are going to call you one anytime you disagree with anything dumb we say"

More like "don't think like a centrist, because centrists are total loving idiots who will continue to embrace losing ideas in the vain pursuit of appearing to be the mature adults in the room."

E: VVV You can't tell me how to feel, lmao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JC thinks a goon's posts on SA can erase the accomplishments of the President of the United States.

I just needed to put that in writing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

What is the harm of being unsatisfied and asking for more? Why does it bother you when people do so?

This is what I'm dying to know from our resident centrist idiots. The only answer I've seen them say is something along the lines of "I don't care for the personality of lefty Twitter people, so I mock them as being idiot children who want ponies"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

DSA is something that appeals to many people you would call centrists, and we can hopefully agree that there are really positive developments on that front.

Does it really? I feel like you're the only centrist that respects the DSA here, I expect if you asked JC or Nevvy about their DSA feelings they would not feel the same way.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So what the gently caress is up with the race to squeeze in the shittiest, most corporate-boot-licking take to any story about capitalism being bad?

The loving meltdown by Loam defending Jeff Bezos of all people was just :psyduck: to watch. Are these people being paid to defend our corporate masters or something? It's loving insane to me to see posters racing to get in hot takes like "Benefits being slashed isn't that bad!"

If any of the self-described centrist regulars would love to explain what they're doing with this style of argument, I'd loving love to know.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Loam will have to post in here first for us to find out:

It's less about calling out one particular poster and more just wanting to know the loving bizarre mentality behind "Wow, some leftists are taking a side on an issue, gotta take the other side no matter how lovely it makes me look!"

Defending corporations, defending rich assholes, defending objectively terrible things, and time and time again they keep doing it and then act all huffy when they get (correctly) yelled at for being empathy-lacking sociopaths who put profits over people.

Is admitting that capitalism has flaws going to make them explode in holy fire like sunlight does to a vampire?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Its this. In this particular case i was annoyed by condiv's insinuations regarding wapo being such a terrible place to work when the workers enjoy benefits the majority of the workforce does not. I didn't really defend Bezos as many of you insisted that I did. As always, Ytlaya is a much better poster than I am.

Dude, you can't loving gaslight an internet forum. We have access to your posts, it was just yesterday. You can tell yourself "I didn't really defend Bezos" but you absolutely did.

Remember, the context in which you were speaking was right after a story was posted about benefits being slashed and you jumped in with "Bezos is doing good work at WaPo!"

Do you not see how that looks like defending him?

Also, what happens if some people call Bezos an rear end in a top hat on SA? Do you think he knows or cares? Why do you feel the need to stick up for the world's richest man online?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, it ain't awesome that benefits are cut, but if I worked there I wouldn't quit over it.

No one made this argument at all, it's a loving dumbass strawman you're setting up to try to eek out a win here.

Take the L and move on and try not to lose all sense and reasoning just because you saw Condiv oppose a thing. Also your crab bucket mentality is disgusting.

E: VVV If you're going to say "I was wrong and I'll try to be better" just say that, stop trying to re-clarify what you thought you were arguing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

P sure goons stanning for the Vietnam war itt is still worse than defending the Washington post in some other thread but somehow WL stays silent about that.

I wasn't involved in that discussion, feel free to make your own post clarifying who you thought was making awful points and why, that's literally what this thread is for.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NaanViolence posted:

Yeah...I put them on ignore sometimes. He/she is a pretty bad poster for exactly this reason and comes across as one of those edgy "I have BPD!!!!1" types.

Well gently caress you too, buddy.

Thanks for your armchair diagnosis of my mental state based of some words I posted about how centrists are bad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Falstaff posted:

Who defended the statement? Who said "yes, this is an appropriate choice of diction"? Feel free to quote them.

The :siren: INTERNET LEFTISTS :siren: did, I swear they did! They're everywhere, in every shadow, I constantly see them out of the corner of my eyes!

They stacked my sneakers! They know I'm onto them! :tinfoil:

E: VVV FAKE NEWS! (lmao)

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 17, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

If you're looking for high profile 20th century Democrats who personally contributed to the prison slave labor system, FDR has everyone else beat by like four orders of magnitude. That this is never mentioned when discussing his legacy implies prison slave labor is not, in fact, the reason you keep talking about it.

FDR died before any of us were born you loving moron.

Also, Clinton was a high profile 21st century Democrat, so this argument still makes no sense.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

You did a great job and passed the test vitalsigns! These posters did not.

Interment was loving terrible. FDR was a bad bad man for doing it. He also did a lot of good things, because people are complicated and very few people are all good or all bad.

Can we move the gently caress on?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Do you get that not everyone is beholden to the same cult of personality that Clintonistas are, that I don't believe that if Bernie does it, it must be good? All American politicians are bad, most are horrible, Bernie is the closest we've maybe ever come to an almost-good politician, but even he has a ways to go. I voted for him because he was the lessermost evil with a chance to win the primary, then I voted for Clinton because she was the lessermost evil with a chance to win the general.

Same, but technically I didn't even vote for Bernie, I didn't bother voting in the primary because I thought either would be fine.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

botany posted:

i can't speak for anyone else, but that's not what i'm doing. i'm posting here because, as i've said before, i'm not convinced you're genuine about policy.

Who the gently caress are you to question someone's motives likes this? Are you psychic now?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You guys question my motivation on a weekly basis.

No, there's a difference, we believe that you truly do believe what you're saying, we just disagree with you on a fundamental level and are trying to get you to change.

ETA: I have no idea what made you switch from "someone I had a productive discussion with and agree on 99% of our political goals" to "I'm going to compare Internet Leftists I don't like to Nazis." but holy gently caress is it not a good look my dude.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 17, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This was in direct reference to a leftist poster that advocated for the "kristallnachting" of the DNC, so yes, a nazi comparison is totally legitimate. Maybe don't align yourself with people who advocate for such things, and don't react so negatively when things like it are called out?

Feel free to find a quote of me defending the edited post in question. Oh wait, you won't find that, because I never did. poo poo, I don't even read the Trump thread anymore because what's the loving point? "Trump did bad thing" is all it is now.

And by the way, you're the one bitching anytime we criticize a centrist, I don't give a gently caress that a dumb leftist said a dumb thing, it's not going to make me suddenly care about people less. I can readily admit that many leftists are dumb, but at least their dumb heart is in the right place.

Y'all centrists constantly are asking "Why are you yelling at us, when the GOP is the bad guy?" but the GOP ain't here and it's much much much more frustrating to see so called "Democrats" have a startling lack of empathy.

E: VVV I honestly thought you and I had a productive discussion at one point that made you realize the error of some of your ways, but you've fully dug in now to "I'm a centrist and I oppose leftists" as your main belief and literally nothing will snap you out of it.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 17, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

We have had productive discussions in the past, but you haven't changed my opinion of your peers.

This is an impossible task. How can I possibly change your opinion of people I have no control over?

It's also not my goal in any way. I just want you to realize that your line of thinking led you to doing dumb poo poo like defending Jeff Bezos because you snapped at seeing a Condiv post and lost all rational thought, then you have the nerve to call out other people for "spitting venom"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

ALso, if changing people's opinions or informing your own isn't your goal here, what is it?

I was trying to change your opinion, but not by defending any random leftist that you're mad at. It's literally an impossible task, I'm not going to speak for other people, I can only speak for myself.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

The poster quickly removed the reference and has been denounced by many posters and should receive a probe if he didn't already get one and wasn't even close speaking positively about actual Nazi ideology.

loving this. I disavow, okay? I disavow.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

Hmm, do you ever stop trying to get the last word?

:ironicat:

Everyone else is willing to let this go, even Loam. One poster made a very bad post (which was edited to be less bad right away), almost no one saw it, and everyone here agrees the unedited version is a very bad thing to say.

To you, this means all leftists on this board agree with the post. You are delusional.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

I never said that. But it is weird as hell that Kilroy (who has wished death on other posters) felt the need to "well actually" my initial post.

yronic heroism posted:

Hmm, do you ever stop trying to get the last word?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

My question is the same, why was it ignored?

IT WAS IGNORED BECAUSE IT GOT EDITED BEFORE PRACTICALLY ANYONE COULD READ THE BAD WORDS

It's no longer been ignored because you've been ranting about it for pages now and we've all agreed it was bad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

FWIW I actually edited that last part out before you responded since it did not seem necessary thinking it over.

Oh, word?

So you're saying we shouldn't go by the original post if a poster edits it to be less caustic?

loving hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :thunk:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what whoever did that was hoping to accomplish.

100% that Loam bought it after seeing one of his posts and going "this is the high minded rhetoric this forum needs."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

Sorry I'm not freaking out in all caps all the time bro.

People being intentionally dense does tend to rile me up, "bro."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ah, and that ole lib standby: you're fooling yourself if you think the world can be any better, petulant child.

It's honestly a sickness.

I'm not going to lie, it's a mentality that utterly disgusts me. It's D&D nihilism/alcoholism applied to the entire world.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

Capitalism does not exist outside of an Ayn Rand novel and racism does.

This may be the dumbest post I've ever seen.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

gently caress off Russia troll.

Remember when KM was like "Just take the L and move on" and you loving quintupled down and now you're at this point?

Maybe you should have listened.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm sure Hillary would have bombed those women and children in a much more empowering, centrist, Very Serious way, and not in a gross Republican way. It makes a lot of difference to the women and children how they got bombed, you know.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea, and for the record, even if we were in the wacky alternate timeline where Bernie won, he'd be bombing women and children too. It's not a problem unique to one party, it's endemic to how hosed up the military industrial complex is. Forever wars are profitable!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Crazies: CENTRIST!

It's really really funny that a certain subset of this forum finds this to be the ultimate insult.

It's almost like calling a white person racist, they just freak the gently caress out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

No, I'm arguing that only the dnc has an even theoretical obligation to stay out of the primary and that there's no evidence they were behind the stickers being touted as proof of their corruption.

Pattern recognition is such a basic feature of our species that it's amazing to see people without the ability to learn from patterns of the past.

How can you see all this news coming out about how the DNC did all this unfair poo poo and then go "Oh, but here, they're totally innocent, we have no idea who might have done it! Hell, maybe the leftists are the one leaving pro-Manchin stickers! WE JUST DON'T KNOW!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy, if you think the DNC didn't put the stickers there who do you think possibly could have?

• Locked thread