Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The fantasy that politics begins and ends at the voting both is still one of the most successful methods of crippling the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

It's difficult for centrists to credibly champion the things that people want because they've opposed all that poo poo at some point in their political career. Joe Biden is no exception no matter how many Onion articles get written about him. No one is going to believe Biden if he says he's in favor of single payer, or banning private prisons, etc.

People will believe Biden wants single payer in the same way people believe Trump doesn't want people to die on the street.

I think you underestimate how willing people are to believe bullshit they want to hear.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Republicans / Russians / whoever will spin up a bunch of bullshit concern trolling outfits and saturate social media with a bunch of stories about how Biden is full of poo poo. The propaganda will be effective because it's not exactly wrong. The media will pick up on it as well.

Like seriously this is exactly what happened with Clinton why do you think it will be any different next time?

That can still happen and you'll still have people who've identified with Biden saying he's the greatest thing since the Trans Am. Same way you have people arguing Hillary was Perfect still, after she lost.

The media can't make those people change their minds anymore than the media can convince a Trump voter that actually Trump doesn't mind if you die in the street.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If Bernie is the best we can do in 2020 we are so hosed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

He'd probably beat Trump pretty handily.

But there are probably better candidates for 2020, even from a leftist position.

I am nowhere near as confident as you that 2020 will be so easy. Even the theoretically perfect candidate will likely only be able to achieve a squeaker.

It's going to be a war-time election, with the most voter suppression since Jim Crow and more dark rightwing money and pseudospeech than ever.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

Nope, but ya know, three years.

If we were talking about Congressional elections, you'd have a point. With Trump, even a semi-competent candidate should be able to capitalize on how little he will have accomplished for his 2016 voters by then.

Yeah "should" if the American voters and our media cared about that poo poo.

The idea that Trump is a weak candidate ignores the reality that it doesn't matter what he achieves so long as he keeps being the symbol of regressive "gently caress your bitches." He can blame all the legislative failures on congress, he won't be wrong. Why would facts start mattering all of a sudden?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

If their lives don't materially improve, a big chunk of them aren't going to turn out for him. They don't need to vote for the Democrats for Trump to lose.

I'm not as confident in the people who voted Trump deciding to vote based on that sort of calculus.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

I mean, it doesn't need to be true of 100% of his voters for it to keep him from winning. The dumbass won by 80,000 votes. You're right that a lot of people voted for him as a "gently caress your bitches," but that's not gonna be enough people to win him another election.

Sure but how many thousands or millions will be disenfranchised through voter suppression in 2020? How will any new wars impact voter apathy or turnout?

You can just here them saying "sure he didn't reopen the mine but America is the land of second chances and Evil Congress has been stymying Good Trump so give him another go!"

Add on top that Trump will take credit for a bunch of BS achievements and you or I will see through it, but for half the country "Trump defeated ISIS" will become a fact. And god help us if he starts a minor war and "wins" like a middle school bully wins by beating up a 3rd grader.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, there doesn't seem to be anyone in the pipeline that is truly leftist in the particular way Sanders is. Sanders is the only one I feel like I can really trust to stick to his particular vision/ideology, and that's definitely a shame because it would be great if there were some younger Sanders-equivalent politicians.

edit: The thing that finally sort of pushed me over the edge in realizing Sanders was truly legit was the fact that one of his possible recommended funding provisions for MfA was a wealth tax. Wealth taxes are a dramatic departure from status quo Democratic policy and represent a genuine desire to redistribute wealth.

I really can't think of anyone who could become prominent enough by 2020. Even someone like Ellison strikes me more as just a left-liberal, and while that definitely makes him better than the vast majority of Democrats (and I'd vote for him against almost any other Democrat), it's still not quite the same thing.

I think a mayor, statewide elected official or even an on-the-streets activist could win the Democratic Primary in 2020 if they both a compelling vision and good organizational cadre.

Every suit with ambition will be vying to win the nomination in 2020, being someone in touch with the realities of human life in America won't be as big a disadvantage as talking heads might think.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Marketplace is poo poo.

Remember when they fired a reporter for daring to say this:

quote:

Sharing his own perspective as a transgender person, he said, “I can’t be neutral or centrist in a debate over my own humanity. The idea that I don’t have a right to exist is not an opinion, it is a falsehood. On that note, can people of color be expected to give credence to ‘both sides’ of a dispute with a white supremacist, a person who holds unscientific and morally reprehensible views on the very nature of being human? Should any of us do that?”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stone cold posted:

duckworth duckworth duckworth duckworth

duckworth duckworth duckworth duckworth

Is unacceptable because she doesn't stand with Bernie on Medicare for All.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yes a blue Texas would really change the math.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Actually, I'm not the one telling it, I'm only re-posting the words of a Kansas book writer.

And "pro war"? Wasn't Johnson the guy that did the Flower girl nuke ad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTyqoV1d2Ys

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

The big problem with Obama wasn't that he dismantled the Great Society; rather, it had already largely been dismantled by his predecessors, and he didn't do enough to put it back together. Read the Atlantic piece that I just posted; it provides some good history.

That article is interesting in that it argues that we should have been more forgiving of former supporters of segregation and of the Vietnam war so long as they're also economic populists. Certainly has parallels to current politicians and their former support for the Iraq war and the prison-industrial complex.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

Where does it argue this? Post a quote.

Did you read the article at all?

quote:

Ironically, as chairman of the Banking Committee, Patman had been the first Democrat to investigate the Watergate scandal. But he was vulnerable to the new crowd he had helped usher in. He was old; they were young. He had supported segregation in the past and the war in Vietnam; they were vehemently against both. Patman had never gone to college and had been a crusading economic populist during the Great Depression; the Watergate Babies were weaned on campus politics, television, and affluence.
Not all on the left were swayed. Barbara Jordan, the renowned representative from Texas, spoke eloquently in Patman’s defense. Ralph Nader raged at the betrayal of a warrior against corporate power. And California’s Henry Waxman, one of the few populist Watergate Babies, broke with his class, puzzled by all the liberals who opposed Patman’s chairmanship. Still, Patman was crushed. Of the three chairmen who fell, Patman lost by the biggest margin. A week later, the bank-friendly members of the committee completed their takeover. Leonor Sullivan—a Missouri populist, the only woman on the Banking Committee, and the author of the Fair Credit Reporting Act—was removed from her position as the subcommittee chair in revenge for her support of Patman. “A revolution has occurred,” noted The Washington Post.

Indeed, a revolution had occurred. But the contours of that revolution would not be clear for decades. In 1974, young liberals did not perceive financial power as a threat, having grown up in a world where banks and big business were largely kept under control. It was the government—through Vietnam, Nixon, and executive power—that organized the political spectrum. By 1975, liberalism meant, as Carr put it, “where you were on issues like civil rights and the war in Vietnam.” With the exception of a few new members, like Miller and Waxman, suspicion of finance as a part of liberalism had vanished.

Over the next 40 years, this Democratic generation fundamentally altered American politics. They restructured “campaign finance, party nominations, government transparency, and congressional organization.” They took on domestic violence, homophobia, discrimination against the disabled, and sexual harassment. They jettisoned many racially and culturally authoritarian traditions. They produced Bill Clinton’s presidency directly, and in many ways, they shaped President Barack Obama’s.

The result today is a paradox. At the same time that the nation has achieved perhaps the most tolerant culture in U.S. history, the destruction of the anti-monopoly and anti-bank tradition in the Democratic Party has also cleared the way for the greatest concentration of economic power in a century. This is not what the Watergate Babies intended when they dethroned Patman as chairman of the Banking Committee. But it helped lead them down that path. The story of Patman’s ousting is part of the larger story of how the Democratic Party helped to create today’s shockingly disillusioned and sullen public, a large chunk of whom is now marching for Donald Trump.

The article's premise is that the removal of Patman from Banking was one of the mistakes that led towards the pro-banking era of the Democratic party. Patman was a former supporter of segregation and the war in Vietnam and the article argues that those issues should have been ignored because of his populist positions on banking.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

I did - evidently a little more carefully than you did. None of what you posted said we should "forgive" Patman for supporting segregation or Vietnam.

The article's premise is actually that removing Patman signaled a turning away from left-wing economic populism. The change in policy and emphasis was the bad thing, not getting rid of the segregationist.

The article certainly was arguing that removing Patman was a mistake. He was removed because of his support for segregation and Vietnam, so yeah the article is arguing that should have been ignored in favor of his populism on banks.

As someone who has repeatedly argued Democrats need a broad coalition, the similarities between this and Democrats who supported the Iraq war or militarizing the police are interesting.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

The article isn't arguing anything of the sort. Just admit you didn't read it very carefully, jesus dude.:psyduck:

You seriously think that the article doesn't argue that removing Patman was a mistake?

This passage argues that the destruction of the anti-bank tradition of Democrats was furthered by removing Patman as chair.

quote:

At the same time that the nation has achieved perhaps the most tolerant culture in U.S. history, the destruction of the anti-monopoly and anti-bank tradition in the Democratic Party has also cleared the way for the greatest concentration of economic power in a century. This is not what the Watergate Babies intended when they dethroned Patman as chairman of the Banking Committee. But it helped lead them down that path. The story of Patman’s ousting is part of the larger story of how the Democratic Party helped to create today’s shockingly disillusioned and sullen public, a large chunk of whom is now marching for Donald Trump.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

The article's lamenting the loss of an anti-monopoly, anti-corporate tradition among the Democrats. It's not about Patman personally; it's about a broader rejection of populism by the Democratic leadership.

But the article says that by dethrowning Patman, the Watergate Babies helped the destruction of the anti-monopoly and anti-bank tradition. Where in the article do you find it saying removing Patman was a good thing?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

It doesn't say it was a good thing. What it does say is this:

So again, your claim that this piece is saying that we should "forgive" Patman for his segregationism or support for Vietnam is really dumb.

You're right you got me, the article doesn't say we should forgive him, just let him keep his Banking chair.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

The article doesn't say that either. Just stop.

So you think the article says that removing Patman from Banking was a good thing?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Democrats' big mistake was abandoning organized crime in favor of the financial industry.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Which parts?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vietnam can be both about containing Communism, a Wag the Dog, and about broader American imperialism at the same time. America can multitask in our wars.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well, we lost in Vietnam and capitalism is doing a-okay, so if the Vietnam war was about defending capitalism, it seems like it was needless even for that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

i'm not sure if moving from a possibly winnable race to a definitely not winnable one is failing upwards

I think they're more upset that a firm that did digital for a losing campaign can still win contracts

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

Yup. Terrible Democratic advisers keep getting rehired, regardless of how poorly the campaigns they serve do.

But here's the thing, what's the non-terrible digital media firm Democrats could hire instead?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Regardless of any inaccuracy/accuracy, it is probably an unwise rhetorical move for this audience to compare antifa to W.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

This audience will throw a tantrum no matter what.

Yeah but the skill comes from making their tantrum make them look like an idiot instead of you.

Now you've seemed to stray into arguing the Iraq war was justified and its not a good look.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

i argue in favor of things and people i support

meanwhile you're undermining yourself by trying to pretend the iraq war and the actions of antifa are p much the same thing. it's p sad

Especially considering how well trod the philosophical grounds are that "state action can be held to a different standard than individual or collective action."

One can give antifa a right to preemptively punch Nazis while denying that right to the state and be ideologically/philosophically consistent.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can we agree that the state should also punch nazis? Like, it should be a requirement for office. I want debate questions about how many nazis a candidate has punched in the face.

Not at all. I don't think the police should be beating Nazis, that's a community job. For the same reason I oppose criminalizing speech, that's a social responsibility.

Giving the state, especially our state, more powers to brutalize preemptively is a bad thing. Because our cops are Nazis and they already twist ever law they can into a tool of community abuse, I have no doubt they'd do the same if they could arrest for criminal speech. That cop who made people, under threat of arrest for refusal to obey, repeat "I am on drugs" comes to mind.

Nazis thrive when the community lets them survive. I know a Nazi wouldn't dare walk around my community openly and it isn't because they're afraid of the cops. It is because the community wouldn't allow it.

Requiring candidate to have a Nazi-punching history before you vote for them, well that's back into the social realm.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Here's an idea. Just decide how you'll do your own loving slogans and tell them to put them on a loving gif or whatever. Don't let them tell you how they think it should go, because they don't know poo poo outside how to spread a message on twitter or facebook.

You're vastly overestimating the technical, internet and meme savviness of most people who get into electoral politics. Like squarespace requires a consultant to help setup and maintain.

Campaign consultants are a good idea but the issue is no one in the mainstream Democrats get the Internet yet. They're still thinking piecemeal and with a "and digital" mindset rather than the Internet being as embedded in the campaign as it is in the world.

Also the cheap out answer is "hire whoever Bernie did."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

i dunno yronic makes some compelling points. why WONT condiv condemn the kurdish genocide???????

Is Condiv Saddam?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

That wasn't the issue though. No one is saying the US shouldn't have taken action in WWII since it was motivated by geopolitical considerations rather than humanitarian ones.

Speaking of, this article makes an interesting case that the US could have prevented the Holocaust by not declaring war on Germany and evacuating the Jews et al.

A reposted PDF since harpers has a paywall: https://dorsheitzedek.org/sites/default/files/managed/Baker%20Why%20I%27m%20a%20Pacifist.pdf

quote:

By 1941, as Congress was debating the Lend-Lease Act, which would provide military aid to Britain and other Allies, the enormity of the risk became clear, if it wasn’t al- ready, to anyone who could read a newspaper. On February 28, 1941, the New York Times carried a trou- bling dispatch from Vienna: “Many Jews here believe that Jews through- out Europe will be more or less hos- tages against the United States’ en- try into the war. Some fear that even an appreciable amount of help for Britain from the United States may precipitate whatever plan the Reichsfuehrer had in mind when, in recent speeches, he spoke of the elimination of Jews from Europe ‘un- der certain circumstances.’ ”
In response to this threat, The American Hebrew, a venerable weekly, ran a de ant front-page editorial. “Re- duced to intelligibility this message, which obviously derives from of cial sources, warns that unless America backs down, the Jews in Germany will be butchered,” the paper said.
The shift, Friedländer writes, came in late 1941, occasioned by the event that transformed a pan-European war into a world war: “the entry of the United States into the con ict.” As Stackelberg puts it: “Although the ‘Final Solution,’ the decision to kill all the Jews under German control, was planned well in advance, its full implementation may have been delayed until the U.S. entered the war. Now the Jews under German control had lost their potential val- ue as hostages.”
In any case, on December 12, 1941, Hitler confrmed his intentions in a talk before Goebbels and other party leaders. In his diary, Goebbels later summarized the Führer’s re- marks: “The world war is here. The annihilation of the Jews must be the necessary consequence.”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stone cold posted:

but don't you see, clearly the americans made the germans do a genocide

More that America had opportunities to save people from the Holocaust that we didn't take because we didn't really like the Jews and it was more important to not negotiate with a hostage taker than to even try.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

so do you want to punch nazis or negotiate with them JESUS

Negotiate to save as many hostages as we can then punch?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

What negotiation do you envision could have happened?

The USA was in routine negotiations with Nazi Germany during the war over transfers of POWs, so having negotiations was doable. I have no idea if a doable deal would have ever been brokered, but the larger point is we didn't even try. People were advocating this at the time too, this isn't just hindsight.

quote:

What mattered, Gollancz held, was, and he put it in italics, the saving of life now. The German government had to be approached immediately and asked to allow Jews to emigrate. The Allies had nothing to lose with such a proposal. “If refused, that would strip Hitler of the excuse that he cannot afford to fill useless mouths,” Gollancz wrote. “If accept- ed, it would not frustrate the econom- ic blockade, because Hitler’s alterna- tive is not feeding but extermination.”
Nobody in authority in Britain and the United States paid heed to these promptings. Anthony Eden, Britain’s foreign secretary, who’d been tasked by Churchill with handling queries about refugees, dealt coldly with one of many importunate delegations, saying that any diplomatic effort to obtain the release of the Jews from Hitler was “fantastically impossible.” On a trip to the United States, Eden candidly told Cordell Hull, the secretary of state, that the real difficulty with asking Hitler for the Jews was that “Hitler might well take us up on any such of- fer, and there simply are not enough ships and means of transportation in the world to handle them.” Churchill agreed. “Even were we to obtain per- mission to withdraw all Jews,” he wrote in reply to one pleading letter, “transport alone presents a problem which will be dif cult of solution.”
Not enough shipping and transport? Two years earlier, the British had evac- uated nearly 340,000 men from the beaches of Dunkirk in just nine days. The U.S. Air Force had many thou- sands of new planes. During even a brief armistice, the Allies could have airlifted and transported refugees in very large numbers out of the German sphere."

I'm not convinced, as is often true for hypotheticals like this, it is impossible to know how many more could have been saved (USA immigration restrictions certainly place a floor). But I find it an interesting argument especially when it was made during the war.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Who are these Twitter people and why should I care?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fighting about which president was more liberal or leftist is dumb as gently caress since politics changes too much to be certain what each would do in each others' shoes.

A juicer fight is to be had over what policies should be kept/expanded/undone.

Anyone here think Glass-Stegle was bad? Anyone oppose the ERA? Anyone oppose a jobs guarantee? Is the opposition for theoretical or practical reasons?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

So what the gently caress is up with the race to squeeze in the shittiest, most corporate-boot-licking take to any story about capitalism being bad?

The loving meltdown by Loam defending Jeff Bezos of all people was just :psyduck: to watch. Are these people being paid to defend our corporate masters or something? It's loving insane to me to see posters racing to get in hot takes like "Benefits being slashed isn't that bad!"

If any of the self-described centrist regulars would love to explain what they're doing with this style of argument, I'd loving love to know.

Loam will have to post in here first for us to find out:

quote:

4. This isn't a Helldump thread and shouldn't be used to litigate post histories or spread personal information. Your rear end is banned if it happens. But it is OK to make fun of people for posts in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

First post on this very page, my dude.

Right but we're supposed to mock each other for posts in this thread, not posts in other threads.

• Locked thread