Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Golf Story is now available for the Nintendo Switch on the e-shop.

It is a rpg/golf game hybrid. It is cool and good. Are you cool and good? Do you have a switch? Do you like 16 bit RPGs? Do you like golf games? If you answered yes then you will like golf story and should get it now.

---

Are you stuck? Not sure what to do next? Then wander around and look for someone with dots over their head. Or hit the + and look at your notes. Almost everything is spelled out for you.

---

Pro Tip: hold down B to run.

---

Seeing a lot of people ask about throwing the disc. It's not hard. Here is a handy user guide to becoming an awesome disc golf champion:
1 - hold X to throw. The more the bar fills up, the faster the disc will go and the longer it will stay in the air. You do not have to fill the bar.
2 - you can control the disc using the d-pad/analog stick.

That's it. There is nothing else to it. If you are having trouble it is because you haven't done it enough. It takes more than a couple tries to get good at controlling the disc. The game does not punish you for mistakes.

----

ZL/ZR buttons. These can be very helpful. When putting they can help you hit longer distances. For other shots they allow you to hit shorter distances. ZL drastically reduces a shot while ZR is a little less extreme. You can also use both at the same time.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

overdesigned posted:

Yeah that's how it works--left and right are relative to the disc's current direction of travel. It's jarring and kinda hard to get used to, probably on purpose but still.

I've only done the first disc challenge, I am assuming there will be more, but it was super easy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bouncing from bunker to bunker is one my fav things I've ever done in a golf game. Also, bunker footprints. Or footprint bunkers. Dinosaur footprints.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The "land only on X terrain type" sidequests were sweet and I'm hoping there's more of those in the later levels, I'm only at the second place so I only have done the one set but I really enjoyed them.

Aiming for holes that are like 15 feet wide is fun, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Manticore posted:

I think my favorite is when the text bubble tips to the side. Sounds like my hands are sighing.

I like how they have manipulated the text. Not seen that done before but it is effective.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I put 2/3 of my points into power. Cuz distance trumps everything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^^

Read the hints. It's pretty explicit about telling you where to go.
And the 5 coins is a long term quest. You'll find them as you go.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

You can spoiler this but how do I disc golf?? I mean I have the disc and I can throw it. I challenge the girl at Wellworn and all I can do is throw it (FAR!)!in one of 4 useless cardinal directions.

Also: at Lurker, how can I run faster? The foot race is... impossible in my current capability.

The OP is terrible, I admit. But the only thing I really put in there is the answer to your question.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
***Updated the OP with some basic info. Feel free to make suggestions for FAQ type stuff to put in there.

Did I miss anything about throwing the disc?

Anything else that I should add?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

Sorry many. I should have read it. I was boarding a plane and about to play so I just haste-posted.

No worries. It was a poo poo OP. Now it's just a piss OP.

There is no way the OP was going to match the majesty of this game, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I see on howlongtobeat that this game takes 13 hours. I feel like that number is a bit low.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well, yes. I just wanted to post "CAN I STOP GALF" like a grown man :shobon:

I had to force quit. Couldn't do anything in that. I suspect it is bugged

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gently caress Oak Manor Hallowed Halls.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The "relationship" stuff is the worst part of the game.

Main / ex wife
Main / Lara
Coach / Laras Coach

All bad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

Haha the loving vinegar goes into the bookshelf gently caress this game

Yeah, that whole section was obtuse.

imnotinsane posted:

I'm just casually destroying all the snow men I can find thinking I'll get some special reward when the truth is I'm just a heartless jerk ruining Christmas. This game is so much fun

Just made it there, too. Looks like we are getting close to the end game.

Only thing I haven't been able to do is the long drive to the island at bermuda. I can get it there on a bounce, but it goes in the water. I just got a new club so maybe that will help.

Also, the red bandana thing is dum.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man...snow course is easy. -8 on my first try. WTF.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wait so there are three Aqua Golf prizes, one for hitting the walls with Lara, one for sinking all the holes with target flags on them, what's the third for?

Hole in one. The hole on the island.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

I just love that putting the vinegar in the cabinet is literally the player admitting he has no idea what he's doing, and Lara taking notice and actually solving the puzzle. I love this game but that sequence is so, so bad.

Yeah it is. Especially because by that point I knew what I needed to do, it just wouldn't let me. The bell was dumb, too. I spent a while running around because you have to click them in the correct order. Since I did it out of order I didn't go reclick for quite some time.

Just a really badly set of "puzzles."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gently caress Blue Dunes.

Was at -3 on the last hole. Perfect T poo poo over the water. Bounce. Hits tree. Bounces back into water. Next shot I have to be aggressive because I can only get an 8 or lower to win. In the water. Now I'm at 5. Just turned the fucker off at 8 shots in the rough.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wellworn. Next to mom and kid. Hit flag hard

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Am I misremembering or did the guy at the pro club ask for 8 scorecards? Cuz I only gave him 2. Coulda sworn he said 8 and I rolled my eyes at that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Autonomous Monster posted:

You do five as part of the main quest, and the sixth is the rematch with the old dude at Tidy Park. "THIS IS YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!" and Blue Moon with Junior are just the last two.

e: If you open the menu and go to the Story tab it'll tell you what's what.

I was wondering if that is what it was. Still dumb to be like, bring me 8 cards when you already have most of them. Whatever.

9th hole on Pro Course is fuuuuuuuuucked up and unfair. There's a difference between difficult and unfair and that one is just unfair. 900 yards in 6 shots with bunkers and water everywhere? Yeah, thanks. Three times now I've gotten to that hole with a chance to win and had everything go to poo poo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And of course after I post that I get ideal conditions and destroy the course. -8 going into the final hole and made par. Game over. Didn't finish the drone challenge, though. Don't see the point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

Coldwind Wastes is a goddamn joke

Also Max Yards can get fuuuucked

Just wait till you get to Blue Dunes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PantsBandit posted:

Don't get his hopes up. Blue Dunes is a bigger challenge but if you're going 10 under par you've clearly cracked the code of this game.

Most of the courses are easy/fair. BD isn't. The holes are much longer. There is more water and bunkers and rough. Many holes you are pretty much screwed if you hit one bunker.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zerilan posted:

Missing one cache coin and been looking all over for that fucker to no avail.

The first 5 have someone on the course telling you where to go and you can pretty much just wander till you see "dig."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yo where the hell is the fifth one then

and also, gently caress Drone Minigame(tm)

It might be on the frisbee course. There is no way to know which one you missed just by saying "the 5th."

If you explore everything you will find it. It's not hard.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Genie? What genie?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The one just standing there chilling out on Blue Dunes next to the dude with the magic rainbow boombox. Saying "You're too late, I'm already free." makes me think I could have been the one to free it!

Thats what i got too. Guess I missed something earlier. Oh well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't think it's possible to free the genie, you guys

Like what even would the player use the third wish for, and why would you want to live in a world without a rainbow boom box?

I read somewhere that he sells you things for $$$. But it seems like that amount of $$$ is only accessible by grinding. So, what's the point? The game is already over at that point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mace Bacon posted:

All the Galf games are contenders for GOTY

Why? I made one shot, it crashed my game and never tried again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Is there a way to use the long driver on regular events? I thought it unlocked after the long drive competition but I can't figure out how to switch to it.

I don't believe you ever use it again after the competition. Stupid, I know.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can say it. Doesn't mean you are correct.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Put points into power. It's the most useful stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Naw. Power is always #1. The further you can hit it, the fewer shots it takes to get it in the hole. Adjusting the shot takes some skill but putting stats in that just makes the ball go less far.

• Locked thread