Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Ok, yeah, yeah. I love chili con carne. But I happened to have a whole mess of fresh anaheim and poblano peppers, so I'mma make this kind of chili instead.

The lineup: Disassembled chicken, a bag of white beans (soaked), anaheims, poblanos, jalapenos, and serranos, tomatillos, onion, garlic, chicken stock, and a big hunk of pepper jack.

The chicken is just the breasts and thighs, skinless and deboned. Legs I saved for later eating, and the wings went into the stockpot with the carcass. I decided to poach the chicken first in my chicken stock.

That's the stock I saved from the last bird I made, with more stock from the carton to top things off. Simmer gently until just barely 150F all the way through, then pull and let cool.

MEANWHILE

All the peppers and veg spend some time under the broiler until roasty and tender.

When they're cool enough to handle, it's time to peel them. Here I tried out a trick from (who else) Kenji, where you just peel the peppers in your cooking liquid and strain it later.

It actually worked perfectly! It's super easy to just rinse off the skins and seeds without washing away all the goodness. Pop everything into the cup, along with the roast onions, garlic, and tomatillos, blend into a nice bright green paste and then forget to take a picture of it.

The chili paste already tasted loving delicious at this point, so I went simple with the seasonings here. Some whole cumin and coriander, toasted until they pop, and then some ground cumin and some turmeric added to the hot oil to bloom for just like 15 seconds, which was not long enough time for me to take a picture of, and also isn't interesting to look at anyway.

Add the green goo. It immediately starts bubbling and blorping alarmingly.

And in goes the stock. Make sure to mash all the flavor out of those skins. Around here I added in some fish sauce and a splash of soy sauce, basically mandatory in any savory dish. Toss in the beans, and let the whole mess stew for an hour. In retrospect, this would have been a more convenient time to poach the chicken, but OH WELL.

Pet the cat for an hour.

When the hour's almost up, decide at the last minute to make SOMETHING to go alongside. Cornbread is always perfect for chili, but it's already too hot today and I don't want to turn the oven on, so fresh tortillas it is! Unfortunately, I don't have a tortilla press.

I do have a fuckoff big cast iron pan, though. Also: don't use wax paper. Plastic wrap works much much better.

The first tortillas were a little thick and ragged, but they got much better when I switched to plastic wrap.

Once the beans are nice and tender, it's time to finish everything up.

Blend up a bunch of the beans to make a thick white paste, and mix that back in, along with the shredded poached chicken.

Throw in like half a pound of cheese, stir until melted, and give it a taste. Needed a bit of acid, so I juiced in most of a lime. Last touch was just a splash of whole milk, because that cheese wasn't enough fat in the dish.

Final result:

Verdict: loving delicious. Honestly, I can't think of anything I'd change, flavor-wise. Maybe next time I'd hold back one of the serranos, slicing it up thin and adding it near the end instead of roasting it with the rest of the peppers, just for a little more color. Also, poaching the chicken first was an annoying extra step, next time I'll just poach in the stewing liquid and save some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Great job with homemade tortillas, they're so satisfying. I've never done any sort of green chili, this looks fairly light and bright-tasting.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This looks delicious, and I bet it tastes great with the corn tortillas. I made a chili blanco once that involved stirring in a fuckload of shredded pepperjack and just having it all melt in together with the chili to add to the white color.

• Locked thread