Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Sencha Ext JS, by far the best Javascript framework for creating large single page web applications, has been on a downward trend for a while now. Unfortunately, many found the learning curve to be too daunting because they are dummies. And then Sencha introduced a very unattractive pricing scheme along with the penultimate major version that made Ext JS too expensive for most devs.

Now, Sencha has been bought by a company called Idera whose mission seems to be to keep dead technologies alive for enterprise customers who can afford to overpay for them. Their main product is Delphi, something most devs under 50 years old have probably never heard of. (Woah, people are still using Delphi in 2017). I'd say the chances that Idera is going to open source Ext JS or invest significant resources to usher in a new age of Sencha dominance are slim.

Many of the more well known Sencha developers are already gone, with a bunch of them making their parting announcements on Twitter last week.

Here's a medium piece by Jay Garcia entitled "The rise and fall of Ext JS" that charts the history of Ext JS: https://medium.com/@ModusJesus/the-rise-and-fall-of-ext-js-c9d727131991

So, help me pour out a cold one for the best Javascript framework ever, or feel free to just add snide comments about how Ext JS sucks because you were too stupid to learn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

NotWearingPants posted:

Ext JS sucks because you were too stupid to learn it.Ext JS sucks

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

May I recommend http://vanilla-js.com?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Frameworks always have bugs and I always manage to encounter those bugs, not fun :derp:

If it's something useful it should be in the standard HTML and ECMA Script repertoire and a lot of the stuff is these days.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
No gently caress you. We had a project that was using Ext JS in like 2008 or so and those fuckers changed the licensing. $1300 a year for a javascript framework? Jack Slocum can suck my dick.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:newlol::newlol::newlol::newlol::newlol:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hi I'm 40 and I remember Delphi

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I have been forced to use extjs at various points at work. It is a bloated piece of poo poo that feels it necessary to reinvent the wheel in a variety of dumb ways. I don't know if it's still the case, but when I was begrudgingly using it, half the examples on their own loving site were broken.

I mean, it's possible to make good apps with it, but it's also possible to make good apps with php and I wouldn't recommend that either.

If it's dying I could not be happier.

Seanzor
Mar 22, 2013
I'm a Product Manager (I'm sorry). At my shop, we had a problem with developers going overboard with incredibly basic features (apparently a team of five in-house web app Devs spent the better part of a year building an address book, with most of the effort spent on UI stuff), and so we made a strategic decision to adopt a framework so straightforward that a Product Manager could use it.

When I joined the team, the decision had already been made. Shortly after joining, and learning JS on the job (after like one year of self-education in coding Python via Udacity, prior to joining the team) I built a functional UI prototype (using their Architect IDE) for what would eventually become our flagship feature. The rationale: if it's too hard for an idiot Product Manager implement, it's too complex to prioritize for our team.

It's been a nightmare for our Dev team to hire people with ExtJS experience (except for the one person who literally used to work at Sencha!), but I have to say - we're delivering a lot faster.

In conclusion: if you need to put horse blinders on your development team: choose ExtJS.

Seanzor fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 5, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Seanzor posted:

In conclusion: if you need to put horse blinders on your development team: choose ExtJS.
All of the big frameworks are like this. It's so drat easy to develop with VueJS or Angular after playing with them for 20-40 hours or so. Be wary about seeking plugins/extensions/whatever for them, though. It's fine for lots of things, but for SPA with routing and complex views I'd definitely just use a framework.

feedmegin posted:

30 and wrote delphi code when I was 11. I remember thinking "this really sucks" and not using it for that long. It really introduced me to the mindset that designing UI stuff sucks real bad if it's not for the web, full-on 2d/3d rendering (which also kinda sucks outside of the math), or a cli. Not that designing web ui stuff was particularly good in the netscape navigator vs ie days.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 5, 2017

Seanzor
Mar 22, 2013

Khorne posted:

All of the big frameworks are like this. It's so drat easy to develop with VueJS or Angular after playing with them for 20-40 hours or so. Be wary about seeking plugins/extensions/whatever for them, though.

I'm sure glad we chose the dying framework for which it is impossible to hire experienced developers over Angular, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I remember trying to do something with Ext Js in 2008-9 because it must be better if it costs money, and having it just silently fail even when I was copying examples out of their documentation. Then I gave up on it and used things that 1) work more reliably and 2) are debuggable when I can't figure out why they don't.

feedmegin posted:

Same but 34 but I was in highschool at the time

• Locked thread