Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You have no idea what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall of the writer's room for a show like this. What kind of people made this thing? Were they all hacks with no self-awareness who legitimately thought they were making high art? Or were they just a bunch of miserable hangdog sons-of-bitches trying to slog their way through to a desperately-needed paycheck? Perhaps a mix of both? Who is most responsible, most culpable for an unmitigated disaster like this? Was it really the writers? Or were they simply trapped in the room with a cuckoo-bananas showrunner who just tossed out ideas in Ryan Murphy-esque spurts and then demanded the writers make them work? Was there an air of excitement and life in the room that slowly bled out as they realized none of their plans were really going to pan out? Or was the atmosphere like that of coastal city before a hurricane, knowing that a terrible disaster was inevitable, powerless to evacuate or ameliorate it, only able to watch and pray as the sky gets darker and the winds grow cold?

That poo poo fascinates me. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Spergatory posted:

Who is most responsible, most culpable for an unmitigated disaster like this? Was it really the writers? Or were they simply trapped in the room with a cuckoo-bananas showrunner who just tossed out ideas in Ryan Murphy-esque spurts and then demanded the writers make them work?

On the face of it, I would assume this ^

I think some episodes this season worked better than others, but the overall story was set out by Buck and ultimately he needs to take the blame for the overall story not working.

That said, stranding them on Hawaii was a terrible idea and I can only assume that was a decision made by corporate. I don't know if it was Disney, Marvel, or IMAX who insisted on the location, but that at least probably wasn't Scott Buck's fault.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

Because they still think "grounded" superheroes is the way to go. They still think the Dark Knight Trilogy is the alpha and omega of super heroes.

Which is especially weird because the Marvel movies don't shy away from costumes. Yet on Netflix, only Daredevil has one.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Percelus posted:

also wasn't he the guy who managed to turn creepy susie and 13 other tragic tales for troubled children into the loving oblongs :psyduck:

he is a toptier hack idk what satanic ritual got him to showrunner but black magic is the only logical explanation

also the guy who decided deb wants to gently caress dexter and cover for his murders and do some of her own murders and hannah mckay hannah mckay hey have you seen hannah mckay

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sticklefifer posted:

Which is especially weird because the Marvel movies don't shy away from costumes. Yet on Netflix, only Daredevil has one.

Yea, it's weird how the X-men are still falling into that trap. Dark Pheonix's director has gone on length about how he'll make it grounded, even though the number one complaint people have had about the X-men movies since the start, at least comic fans, is that no one wears their costumes.

I'd not be surprised that some writers and directors who think of themselves as "serious" see costumed heroes and silly, and they don't make silly kids movies! MCU is not a serious movie franchise! It's for kids! I don't make kids movies! I don't care that collectively they have made billions of dollars!

Ugh loving Inhumans, what garbage. There was no one to root for, Maximus's plans were shallow and he lacked any real motivation other than get power and there was no reason for anyone to be so insanely loyal to him. The side characters were all pointless, Hawaii looked good but this could have been set anywhere and had the same effect.

There was some pretty decent shots in the final episode at least, like the shot of Black Bolt coming down the stairs and the final shot of an airless Attilan collapsing silently, but that's about it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

To be fair, only Daredevil and Iron Fist of the Netflix heroes have costumes. I guess you can count the Punisher too. And of those three, which is the only one that didn't get their costume and who was the showrunner?

I didn't think Iron Fist was as bad as everyone thinks, but it's still really glaring that the only time they used the Iron Fist costume was for like a 10 second flashback. Danny should have at least had the mask.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, it seems really weird how they avoided the Iron Fist costume. They don't have to do the deep V disco costume, but the white one is really cool and would work on camera with some tweeks.

Man, Black Bolt sealing Maximus in the bunker is supposed to have emotional impact, but there was zero because you were told they loved each other, but we never got a sense of that relationship.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It doesn't help that the revelations from this episode means that Maximus wasn't slowly simmering until he decided to take over...he's been an unrepentant poo poo for years.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I finished this earlier today and that was incredible in maybe one of the worst ways. I've got so many questions about how it was made, but drat. At the very least, it had some pretty funny highlights like Gorgon drowning himself, or Karnak pathetically kicking a table. I'm really surprised at how irredeemable some of the cast got too, especially Karnak. That scene with Mordis was just awful. What were the writers actually trying to achieve with that?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Why did not-NASA keep making a big deal about “the boss”? The way they kept teasing it, I was expecting a low-level MCU cameo, but it just fizzled out into nothing. Were they talking about the President? But why be so stupidly coy about it?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I actually expected the Boss to turn out to be Maximus. But yea lol at season 2 plot hooks. I'd not be surprised if some of this is taken up in AoS later, but its more likely Marvel will just want people to forget about Inhumans.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I actually expected the Boss to turn out to be Maximus. But yea lol at season 2 plot hooks. I'd not be surprised if some of this is taken up in AoS later, but its more likely Marvel will just want people to forget about Inhumans.

If Disney is actually able to buy Fox's media properties, maybe the Xmen will completely replace the Inhumans

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
The part that had me laughing the most was when Maximus kept telling Black Bolt how Attilan would go down to Earth and conquer all the humans. Just...I don't know if Buck actually thought this was a credible threat to humankind? They explicitly have a population of maaaaaaaaaaaybe 2 thousand, if people started popping out babies soon after pre-Terrigenesis Black Bolt said it was a city of 15 hundred. Powers or no powers, they would be so dead so quick.

Normally, I'd think this would be the writer showing how desperate the villain was getting, throwing things out, but Maximus wanted to do the same drat thing in the pilot episode, nobody said, "That's a stupid idea on every conceivable level" then, Black Bolt didn't sign anything to that effect later. God, Buck's a bad showrunner.

And I'm guessing they were in Hawaii because it's the furthest you can get from New York while still being in the United States.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
As more and more people binge through this series now that it's done, I imagine there's going to be a lot more of these "Why did they do this? Why didn't they do that instead? What were the creators thinking? How did it turn out this way?" remarks from everyone catching up on just terrible and nonsensical this all has been.

Here's the 100% objectively true answer to every single one of those questions: There is no answer. They didn't care. Not necessarily even in a malicious way, but in the sense that caring about things when creating a show or movie requires time and resources. It's not just CGI, sets, and costumes that suffer when you don't have the time and resources to invest in a project of this magnitude, it's also the script, editing, and internal consistency.

Which isn't to say that throwing cash and lengthy productions at a show is automatically going to make it good, merely that every step of this project's journey to our screens -- whether it's the initial move from film to TV, the decision to finance it with IMAX money, the choice of showrunner, so on and so forth -- all seemed to mix together into the perfect recipe for making it as mind-bogglingly bad as it turned out to be. Even shows that seem to have everything going for them are going to make lovely episodes or arcs or even whole seasons every once in a while, and this show? Certainly did not have everything going for it.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Takezio posted:

And I'm guessing they were in Hawaii because it's the furthest you can get from New York while still being in the United States.

Yeah, but they were already on the moon.
The show should have stayed on the moon.

Some of the Hawaii stuff sorta kinda looked like it might have been going somewhere interesting, but none of it actually did. The Deklan stuff was required to advance the ‘plot’, but it was waaaay underdeveloped. All of the other storylines were pure non-starters. I’d have rather seen more of Attilan society — or hell, even more lovely flashbacks — than all of that stuff about Karnak and Crystal finding human waifus. And their storylines weren’t even the worst when you have Gorgon’s bullshit with the surfers to compare to.

I’d just really like to know who insisted that Hawaii was the right location for this story when it so very clearly was not.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Postal Parcel posted:

If Disney is actually able to buy Fox's media properties, maybe the Xmen will completely replace the Inhumans

If Inhumans was a rousing success maybe that could be the trojan horse to get the Xmen back, but they hosed that right up.

I ain't even watching that finale. Did Lockjaw make it?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

If Inhumans was a rousing success maybe that could be the trojan horse to get the Xmen back, but they hosed that right up.

I ain't even watching that finale. Did Lockjaw make it?

To sum up what happened in the series:
-Maximus led a coup
-Royal Family flees to Hawaii
-Where they get into crazy hijinks
-Blah
-Royal Family makes it back to the moon
-BB seals Maximus in a bunker on the moon
-Gorgon is revived
-Attilan's barrier goes down and the city is destroyed
-All those illegal aliens teleport to Hawaii, finally giving it to those lieberal commies
-Lockjaw lives, but can you truly call that living

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Seriously, what the gently caress did I just watch?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So there are really people here who think that Iron Fist was okay and the worst part about that show is the lead didn't wear bright yellow and green spandex? You guys deserve to be locked in a bunker on the moon with Inhumans running on repeat. Old comic book costumes are dumb most of the time. Yes, these things are unquestionably made for children, but even children would laugh at the a live action Wolverine in yellow and brown spandex. Not to mention that most if not all the female costumes would be completely inappropriate for children self respecting human beings.

Finally bothered watching this today. I would describe this show as consistently disappointing.

The Boss is obviously Tony Stark, who probably funded the privatized NASA knockoff moon company. They're being coy about it on the off chance that Inhumans is a flop and all this poo poo never get mentioned again in the MCU, so Tony has an excuse to never bring it up. Maybe the only good decision made.

I know everyone loves him but Lockjaw is stupid too. All he does is stand there and pant and teleport when he's told to. That's not a character, that's a plot device. Remember when that vet was like "Whatever he's been doing lately is preventing his recovery, you should let him rest more" and then they teleported all over the loving place anyways? Good thing the writers forgot so he could be just fine regardless. Did we ever see him take so much as a single step? He laid down once and that was all the animation department could manage. You don't need to midiclorians him, but some kind of explanation as to why there is a giant teleporting pug beyond lol random would be nice. The fact that they're mutants living on the moon doesn't explain why that genetic absurdity exists.

There's no reason to assume they're staying in Hawaii. All we know is they were hanging out in a horribly lit sports stadium. Stark, or anyone else, that needed to relocate 1400 people would choose some place a little cheaper and less likely to draw attention. The middle of the Northwestern Territories would be my recommendation.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

So there are really people here who think that Iron Fist was okay and the worst part about that show is the lead didn't wear bright yellow and green spandex? You guys deserve to be locked in a bunker on the moon with Inhumans running on repeat. Old comic book costumes are dumb most of the time. Yes, these things are unquestionably made for children, but even children would laugh at the a live action Wolverine in yellow and brown spandex. Not to mention that most if not all the female costumes would be completely inappropriate for children self respecting human beings.

What's sad until this poo poo is they had a good track record of taking classic costumes and updating them in a fun way. The new Captain America looks great, hell they even got the wings on Thor's helmet in the last movie that didn't look like poo poo. Inhumans would have looked like poo poo in the 90s.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GLOSS posted:

Man I cannot wait to have slogged through this terrible show hoping for some sort of payoff at the end only to be hilariously yet completely expectedly disappointed...

This is why I don't watch things based on brand recognition. When I got the feeling Inhumans and Iron Fist were gonna be poo poo, I skipped them entirely and don't feel bad about it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Inhumans was not as bad as most people say it was. I've enjoyed much worse television.

I liked the series. It has potential. Maybe Blackbolt and Medusa can become recurring characters on Agents of SHIELD.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Oh hey everyone it's Bryan Singer.

Yeah, the current crop of superhero movies and shows have proved that costumes are all stupid looking and can't be made to look good on screen. :jerkbag:

And Iron Fist has only worn bright yellow and green spandex. They certainly can't give him any other look that was made popular in the last decade! Nope.

I think I'm reading a post from the year 2000 here.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

This is the first show marvel has put out where i just did not care what happened. It was so sad. People bitched about agents of shield but i liked every agenty episode, even the first ones. People whined about Daredevil season 2 but i found the ninja apocalypse compelling. People criticized Iron Fist for not having Daredevil's choreography and while i could understand their criticisms i still wanted to see Danny Rand stick it to The Man while also being The Man, But Nice.

But this show was just... boring. A bunch of superpowered people just hold themselves aloof from earth, literally, on the moon, and constantly make up excuses for why they can't use their powers and why they constantly have to keep dunking on Alfie Allen. Who DOES that? More relevantly who wants to see that? No one, that's who.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They’re not dunking on Alfie Allen except through the transitive property.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Postal Parcel posted:

To sum up what happened in the series:
-Maximus led a coup
-Royal Family flees to Hawaii
-Where they get into crazy hijinks
-Blah
-Royal Family makes it back to the moon
-BB seals Maximus in a bunker on the moon
-Gorgon is revived
-Attilan's barrier goes down and the city is destroyed
-All those illegal aliens teleport to Hawaii, finally giving it to those lieberal commies
-Lockjaw lives, but can you truly call that living

You gave me an hour or so of my life back, jug of beer is on me.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Courtesy of CD

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
May Scot Buck fall from a great height into a dumpster full of huge broken shards of glass, having to endure life afterward, god willing. This man managed to outdo the CW DC series levels of horrible schlock, and that was a really low bar to limbo under. Tardigrades have failed to do so.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Buck is a chump. Hit him in the legs with a kendo stick about 500 times.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Rocksicles posted:

You gave me an hour or so of my life back, jug of beer is on me.

Seriously, now I can delete this off my DVR. I stopped watching after episode 5 and would just watch the "previously on" minute on the next new one.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So IGN just posted a first look into AoS Season 5 with the gang running from an alien that looks like a Brood.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/16/watch-marvels-agents-of-shield-fight-aliens-in-space-in-season-5

Yes I know it's probably not a Brood but it definitely looks like a Xenomorph which in Marvel world is the Brood.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

So IGN just posted a first look into AoS Season 5 with the gang running from an alien that looks like a Brood.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/16/watch-marvels-agents-of-shield-fight-aliens-in-space-in-season-5

Yes I know it's probably not a Brood but it definitely looks like a Xenomorph which in Marvel world is the Brood.

Looks like the shotgun-axe is a main character this year

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

It could be one of those demons that also looks like Xenomorphs. Which is even more X-men stuff. Surprised they didn't just do Badoon.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, the likelihood of the Brood showing up in any of Fox's X-properties at any time soon is pretty negligible, so it's not entirely out of the question that Fox might have sold them back for rights to...I dunno...the Struckers or something.

(yeah I dunno)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, the likelihood of the Brood showing up in any of Fox's X-properties at any time soon is pretty negligible, so it's not entirely out of the question that Fox might have sold them back for rights to...I dunno...the Struckers or something.

(yeah I dunno)

Dark Pheonix is supposed to be in space, but its also grounded so I'm going to assume that means no aliens.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

twistedmentat posted:

Dark Pheonix is supposed to be in space, but its also grounded so I'm going to assume that means no aliens.

A grounded show in space, about a woman with psychic powers who merges with a cosmic force of death and rebirth that looks like a bird made out of fire and it makes her go crazy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I predicted the Moon would be blown up in the new AoS season.

I was close!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

wiegieman posted:

A grounded show in space, about a woman with psychic powers who merges with a cosmic force of death and rebirth that looks like a bird made out of fire and it makes her go crazy.

Yea, I'm like WTF? But loving Kinsberg.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/29/x-men-dark-phoenix-grounded-human/

Because no one wants crazy space adventures with aliens! Not like the most popular movie franchise is exactly that. Nope grounded and human stories.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aleph Null posted:

Inhumans was not as bad as most people say it was.

reported for trolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I'm like WTF? But loving Kinsberg.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/29/x-men-dark-phoenix-grounded-human/

Because no one wants crazy space adventures with aliens! Not like the most popular movie franchise is exactly that. Nope grounded and human stories.

Good, i'd rather they make it unrecognizable than butcher a good premise.

• Locked thread