Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Perhaps some variety of.... textual messaging would be useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

I think a big problem with the show is that Iwan Rheon is such a better actor than everyone else.

Everyone seems to be doing an okay job though, even if he is better than the others. The guy playing Black Bolt has a really tough job and seems to be pulling it off so far.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
So far the "badness" of this show has been wildly overstated.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

No Butt Stuff posted:

Like a notepad. A space notepad

Or one of them Galaxy Phones, featured in a commercial right after that scene.

Codependent Poster posted:

Everyone seems to be doing an okay job though, even if he is better than the others. The guy playing Black Bolt has a really tough job and seems to be pulling it off so far.

He made himself a huge binder full of made-up sign language, which he's made sure is internally consistent and doesn't crib straight from ASL. That's a lot of dedication.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Lol he broke his brain power that couldnt stop him falling off a drat cliff

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
OK I'm really annoyed by that one dude. Did he break his break by falling, which was fully preventable by using his powers?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Lol there's a dude made of rocks who teleports people

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
His power seems to only work with a moment of concentration and examination. If he slips and falls off a cliff...well, that's still his fault for not planing the descent beforehand.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Brock Samson posted:

Rockjaw

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brock Samson posted:

He's actually just a door!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

He's actually just a door!

Was he a door before the terrigen? Same with the doggie. Someone answer my questions!

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brock Samson posted:

Was he a door before the terrigen? Same with the doggie. Someone answer my questions!

I believe in the comics Karnak and Goron told Thing that he was a man but Quicksilver later said they were just loving with him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do... do people not pay for things on the moon?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jamesman posted:

Do... do people not pay for things on the moon?

Given the rigid caste society and limited resources, probably not. People just get allocated whatever they need/are allowed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Black Bolt in Coming to America

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Blackagar Boltagon!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Black Bolt's earth adventures are starting poorly

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brock Samson posted:

He was a person before becoming a door. Lockjaw was always a dog.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So far it looks like the majority of the stuff that's new to the tv broadcast is stuff with the not-NASA lady. That and some of the council members stuff.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Let it be known, Honolulu police do not gently caress around when stolen menswear is on the line!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They were hanging out in the betrayal rock garden.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Huh, the designs on Attilan's throne remind me of the strange Kree patterns that Coulson was compulsively drawing on AOS

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of dissapointed Black bolt got taken down so easily.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Reset Smith posted:

Huh, the designs on Attilan's throne remind me of the strange Kree patterns that Coulson was compulsively drawing on AOS

The set designers said that was intentional.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The actress who plays Crystal is the WORST.

Edit: The guy playing Black Bolt was better when he actually had something to do other than just stand there.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Everybody seems to forget they have superpowers 90% of the time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fsmhunk posted:

Everybody seems to forget they have superpowers 90% of the time.

Well they keep putting people in situations where they can't use them. Medusa lost her hair, Bolt can't speak without wrecking everything in front of him, etc.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

They dont have shovels on the high tech moon?

edit nm shoveled

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That wasn't really that bad at all. Funny to see Medusa kill Auran so quickly though.

She's not dead! Okay then.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 30, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe it was because my expectations were pretty low, but yeah, that ended up being interesting enough that I wanna see more of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I found it thoroughly mediocre. It wasn't terrible but I'm not exactly champing at the bit for more. I'll probably end up watching it just in case it gets better but I kind of doubt it.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I found it thoroughly mediocre. It wasn't terrible but I'm not exactly champing at the bit for more. I'll probably end up watching it just in case it gets better but I kind of doubt it.

Slightly lower opinion, but it wasn't as bad as AoS's first season.
But that action choreography is bad. It is seriously terrible, HIRE SOMEONE BETTER!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It was entertaining enough. I'd rather have AoS but whatever might as well stick with it

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Okay, I'm about fifty minutes in and this has turned from "Okay, I think general consensus will be that this isn't as bad as reviews made it sound" into "Okay, this is Z-grade student film levels of hilariously loving inept."

TRITOON!
TRIIITOOOOON~~!!

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

So, I'm nowhere near a tv tonight -- did both the first two episodes get aired or just one?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yakmouth posted:

So, I'm nowhere near a tv tonight -- did both the first two episodes get aired or just one?

It was the first two.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Thanks.

I'd like to state my opinion then that Gorgon is possibly the worst head of security to have ever lived -- nepotism at its finest.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It seems like a perfectly cromulent show. I'll give it a chance.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, just finished the ep and, yeah, reiterating that the show doesn't start out too bad. The whole introduction of the Attilan setting and society and conflict and all the players on the stage...sure, the budget was super noticeable and the dialogue was kinda clumsy, but it actually felt like they were giving this a worthwhile effort. I sat through the first forty minutes thinking: wow, they're doing the best that they can possibly do, considering their resources. And that's actually impressive.

It's really too bad that the second half of the episode (episodes?) is hopelessly bad to the point of parody. From the point that Lockjaw starts teleporting people to Earth the quality just rolls further and further downhill. Ninety-percent of the characters become oppressively-stupid and we're forced to have to overlook more and more leaps of sense and sensibility. Too tired right now to go into all the big and all issues at play but overall it just feels like they had no idea what to do with these characters once they actually started the main plot. We'll see if the next episode manages to improve on the aimless shenanigans of our gang...but even if it does, I'm thinking it'd still land back in the "Well, this isn't as bad as I'd heard" tier of quality, and then who knows how long that will last before we fall down a cliff again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I went to the theatrical release and my understanding is that the shows airing tonight are to some extent different, but working of the assumption that they aren't very different I quite liked Anson Mount's Black Bolt in the second episode. I liked Medusa, too (I'm assuming actually that she's the 10% you were okay with 'cause I thought she was very competent throughout).

My big issue wasn't really any single performance or plot point, but rather that all of the characters felt like they were acting in different shows. I noticed a real lack of cohesion between the various stories. Like Black Bolt seems clueless as to how Earth works but Medusa seemed to cope just fine.

At any rate, I expect most shows to have hiccups in the early going as they find their footing. Even Seinfeld wasn't a hit by episode two. I see a lot of potential in this series, albeit mostly unrealized so far, and I hope it figures itself out in time to deliver a solid series.

• Locked thread