Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tin Star is a British drama series created by Rowan Joffe that debuted all episodes on Sky Atlantic on 7 September 2017 and is scheduled to be released on Amazon Prime on 29 September 2017.

Tim Roth stars as an expat Brit who brings his family to the Canadian Rockies to escape his troubled past.

Trouble follows him.

All 10 episodes are now up on Amazon Prime. The series has drawn comparisons to Fargo, Ozark and Twin Peaks, full of weird and sinister characters with no shortage of crazy twists and turns.

For a couple weeks, tag spoilers with the number of the most recent episode you watched; example:

Episode 8: I have only watched the pilot so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
reserved

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was born and raised in the Canadian Rockies. Should I watch this show?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

I was born and raised in the Canadian Rockies. Should I watch this show?

If you like shows about crooked oil companies and small town justice with a sprinkle of First Nations problems.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Just watched the first episode and will definitely finish it over the next days.

In the middle of the episode I thought the whole season would be about trying to stop the oil company from moving in to the town. I did not expect them to immediately take over everything and killing everyone who is against them.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man the man from Quebec is great. Love to hate him.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel I should watch this, not only because it sounds interesting, but because it's the only piece of media where I can trip report how accurate it is to where I grew up.

This is strangely exciting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So far the best character is Jr. American Psycho.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
About to start ep 8. This show is fantastic. I love how Tim Roth's character isn't written or played as a normal antihero. He's a pretty genuinely lovely person most of the time.

What's crazy is how this show still manages some laughs. In ep6 or 7 going to hide the naked stripper in the bathroom, to find there is already a stripper in the bathroom. and waking up Denise with the other guy being there.

Denise is a legit great character, and I hope if there's a second series, we get to see more of her.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 2, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Just finished episode 10. drat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Absolutely loved the show, but I have beef with part of the ending: why the gently caress did they have to cover up that they killed the security guy? I don't know what self defense laws are in canada, but I feel like a guy who threatened and stalked you and entered your house with a supressed weapon is like, a prime candidate for valid self defense. So instead of just saying "this guy chased us here and tried to kill us" they buried his body and blew up the house. What?! what did I miss that explains why they would do that?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I thought the series was good but the last 10 minutes really soured me on it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

I thought the series was good but the last 10 minutes really soured me on it.

Why?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dunno, somehow Angela and Anna don't care anymore that this kid killed their 5 year old son/brother just because Jim is also a terrible person? Mom shoots the guy in the knee and then just gives up the shotgun to the daughter?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's accurate to say that they don't care. I think it's more that they have hit the point of "the whole thing is just sad and killing him isn't going to make it better." It's not like we didn't see Anna's process of learning the truth and feeling conflicted about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished ep 1. Thank god that godawful child actor won't be in it anymore.

Liked most of the ep but I felt it got a little OTT and ridiculous in the last 10 minutes. I guess we'll see

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
How come there are so many poor reviews about a stupidly holey story? Is it really that bad?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“We’re going to stick out like cocks at a oval office fest”

THIS IS A REAL LINE OF DIALOGUE THIS SHOW JUST HAD

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

How come there are so many poor reviews about a stupidly holey story? Is it really that bad?

I'm gonna guess people are bad at paying attention.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The main negative things I read were about it using every grimy crime story cliche in the book, having poor scripting, and misusing its female characters. So far I like it but the writing is absolutely the weakest part, which isn't a great sign :( visuals and performances are awesome though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But all of the female characters are good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Christina Hendricks in particular is loving phenomenal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So far his wife and daughter especially are basically props for bad things to happen to, but I'm only 3 eps in

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really like Denise, the police woman.

I don't think that's an accurate description of the wife and daughter, but in general, it's not a show with frontloaded character development.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Christina Hendricks in particular is loving phenomenal.

Yeah but that is her resting state.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ugh the deputies are playing a shooter using the arrow keys and no mouse. IMMERSION RUINED :mad:

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 4, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ugh the deputies are playing a shooter using the arrow keys and no mouse. IMMERSION RUINED :mad:

Maybe they're aimbotting...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
For some reason I have the sneaking suspicion that Tim Roth's script didn't include a single '.., love'. Either that or he got bored being a lie-ologist and decided to use his reading skills to catch crooks :v:

The shooter kid looks like Roth, and I thought it was his son at first, who got in the show on pure nepotism. Although, the resemblance could be intentional and the kid is Worth's son, raised in the world he (Worth) possibly ran all the way to canada from.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 4, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I watched the first 2 episodes. While I enjoyed it and I love Tim Roth normally, but so far I don't like Tim Roth's acting in this. Something just feels off to me. In episode 2 after the death of his son, I didn't feel any really grief from him. He was pretty much the exact same person as he was in episode 1 outside of taking a drink. While I completely understand why he went back drinking (I would of too), that writing didn't allow for that moment to feel earned.. Maybe by the end his approach to this character will make sense.

Also American Psycho Jr. (great name) feels like a forced weird character. That the only reason he is weird, is because other genre shows/movies have weird criminals. I was actually rolling my eyes at the times when he danced.

The visuals and performances are great (outside of Roth so far), but I can see why this has been getting mixed reviews. The female characters seem really great (outside of the daughter's unbelievable stupidity at the end of episode 2), and I will keep watching. I do question how enjoyable this show will be. My fear is it will be less 'Unforgiven', and more dwelling in misery over and over. Not what I want from a show of this type. I hope I am wrong.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One thing that's really baffled me so far (from episode 5) is...why does it present Roth killing the black villain as a big tragic moment with sad music and American Psycho Jr's upset reaction? We don't know enough about the character for it to be sad, ASJr doesn't seem to have had any actual emotional connection to any of the crew, only treating them with disdain thus far...it's just weird.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am stupid. I always thought expat meant ex-patriot, since I always heard it applied to Americans. I was confused why Tim Roth was an expat (since not from US), so Google taught me expat means expatriate. Urg I feel dumb.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

One thing that's really baffled me so far (from episode 5) is...why does it present Roth killing the black villain as a big tragic moment with sad music and American Psycho Jr's upset reaction? We don't know enough about the character for it to be sad, ASJr doesn't seem to have had any actual emotional connection to any of the crew, only treating them with disdain thus far...it's just weird.

I feel like you're basically looking at the show backwards. Whitey's reaction IS what tells us something about his character.

It's a show that starts out with all of the characters being very vague, and as the story progresses, the nature of their character is revealed to us.

It's not a story that presents complete characters to us and then asks us to watch them change. It presents us with strangers, who we form first impressions of, then as the story unfolds, we get to see who they really are.

edit, now that I'm off my phone:

A major theme of Tin Star is judging people by their actions without knowing the context of those actions. A lot of character motivations and relationships are intentionally a mystery at the beginning of the show. We see a lot of things happen without having a good sense of why. This isn't because the writers forgot to develop the characters and clarify their relationships for us, it's because they are forcing us to choose how to feel about these characters without knowing them very well. As the story progresses, things begin to fall into place.

If you were to re-order the narrative to give context to the characters and have their relationships clarified from the beginning, then it would be a really boring and bad show. A story is only as good as how it's told, and I think the approach used here is perfect for the themes of the show.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 5, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You'd think the wife would have learned not to touch her head injury by now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
jfc is it gonna do this *shot from the end of the episode* "24 HOURS EARLIER" thing every drat time? A show can get away with that once or maybe twice a season. This is the fourth episode to do it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it this show does an "entirely in flashbacks" episode I'm gonna throw something at my TV

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe they're working up to it and thats why almost every episode is a flashback... To build up your tolerance.

But for real, why are you even still watching it? It doesn't sound like you're enjoying it at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's something fascinating about a show where almost every character is completely horrible and don't resemble anything like actual human beings. And it looks nice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
looks like precision + Snak owe me money for a new tv.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
No way dude, I all but told you it was coming and suggested you stop watching. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
jfc what a terrible ending, daughter is a moron and that's the cheapest wannabe cliffhanger ever

this show was honestly one of the lamest attempts at being "gritty" and "seedy" I've ever seen. constantly trying to rub how dark and hard-boiled it is in your face to the point where it becomes more laughable than an early 00s Batman comic. if not for Roth and the visuals it would have been basically unwatchable.

• Locked thread