Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

When should I livestream a playthrough of the first world of Gex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

chumbler posted:

At approximately tail time.

:golfclap:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Is this Knack 2?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

So do Disney cartoons give you nightmares

I shouldn't jeer so much though given I feel the same way about claymation.

There's an episode of Gravity Falls you should watch.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I expect at some point the loot boxes to get so bad and subsequently the bitching to get so bad that some mid-tier company will finally release a game at $70 MSRP.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are vocal people online that bitch about them but the actual data shows that people en masse do buy them. They work.

Games have been able to stay at the $60 figure for decades because the audience for them has grown as time has gone on but that can't last indefinitely so something's gotta give somewhere.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

^^^ Exactly. If loot boxes lead to games finally being forced to raise prices even just to match inflation, then I'm ok with that.

Nate RFB posted:

I think developers/publishers know it makes them more money in the end, and that's all they care about.

That is the first and main goal of a business, yes. It's almost impossible to start a game studio these days and even long-time successful studios are 1 or 2 average games (not even bad games) away from bankruptcy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Colonel posted:

the companies bringing lootboxes into the big games are big-rear end companies like 2k, wb, microsoft and blizzard, not small companies like volition who really do run that risk

I mean, these companies also need to make money. Public companies need to do their best to make their investors profits by law. But yes, even those publishers have bad years and close down their developers or layoff large percentages.

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 9, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

homeless snail posted:

and the consumer should care about precisely 0% of that poo poo, no one should say "well they made the game objectively worse but warner bros gotta get paid"

You misunderstand my point. The point isn't that you should care, but that you should expect the behavior to continue until a better answer is made clear.

You're absolutely free to hate it (and with good reason), but thinking about why it is and how you'd like to respond to it in order to steer it to a better place has value.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to be ok with dumb stuff.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i don't really get all this "but games can't be made for $60 any more" stuff

most of the best games i've played in the last decade cost $20 or less at release

The $60 figure is not a one size fits all figure, but the fact remains that game dev is not a healthy industry and game prices have never been adjusted to match inflation. It's nearly impossible to start a game dev studio anymore and like I said before most studios are one 6 out of 10 away from shutting down or downsizing by double digit percentages.

The race to the bottom that Steam brought on has only hurt this in the long run.

The microtransaction money may not go directly to devs (although there are plenty of places that include such sales in calculating bonuses and such, so even that's not true) but if shareholders aren't happy then devs shut down, that's where the rubber hits the road.

Again, I'm not saying people should like loot boxes, I think quite the opposite. I'd love a more straightforward solution that's more respectful to the consumer.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are a lot of insanely talented matte painters still working. It's often cheaper than extending the set that far in cg.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Here's an article about budgets in video games. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-10-rising-game-dev-costs-put-squeeze-on-mid-tier-studios

Thanks ok!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My friend and I once got to our local EB at open and played all the way through the first Halo and beat it a week before street date. :waycool:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

well what's the alternative, ancient pants-making GBS threads old dudes? japan has the anime hero teens and children market tied up, final fantasy has the "20something who looks like a truck hit him and he's in his 60s"... i'm not entirely sure what you're asking for here

dogsicle posted:

uh

women????

:lol:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

After a recent job at a silicon valley startup, I'd like the next Hitman to have a silicon valley level.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Phantasium posted:

It's just Skylanders and Amiibos now, right?

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/920681722093617152

And I guess whatever the one space game was where you clip a spaceship to your controller that's coming out.

I'd be surprised if another Skylanders game ever came out. Amiibo aren't going anywhere because the toys sell on their own merits and don't need software attached. Toys2Life is dead.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's not like they would just kill off the IP totally though I'd think. They still had Netflix go ahead and finish producing a second season of the TV show.

Maybe it stays in Mobile Hell for the the future but I'd think just killing off an entire universe like that which actually made them money would be...silly.

No, of course the IP will live on in some form, but as a fully featured toys2life franchise I'd bet good money that we don't see another one.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok bye forever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So HZD is in my top 10 favorite games ever and I think mainlining the main quest is a good strategy and a good experience. I think the Cauldrons and the Vantages are the best light side content. Hunting Grounds are good puzzle/challenge missions. Other than that, yeah, just play the storyline.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I wish the HD remake of Constructor wasn't apparently balls garbage. :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Animal Crossing is pretty naturally suited to the structure of phone games. Nothing in there is even slightly out of character for the IP. New Leaf is good enough to last until the next full blown AC for Switch.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Not that I want to go back there, but I remember a time when PC games you'd buy might just straight up not work. I had to get my brother to make me boot discs for a few games just to launch them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The strategy in and of itself is not a bad one, it's just more that you can't predict where that particular lightning is gonna strike. Twitch crowned PUBG god instead of Lawbreakers.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'd be curious to see a turn of the century style fps with modern day logistics like matchmaking. The biggest turn off to games back then, that I heard from a lot of friends and family who hadn't been practicing since the mid nineties was that you'd log on to those games to play for an hour after work and the 16 year old kid who didn't have a job or a life and just practiced all day would instakill you seconds after spawning with heads Hots over and over. That's the mostly inevitable self-selection any high skill ceiling game will experience over time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Andrast posted:

Heroes like Rein or Winston don't need aim either

Neither of them are easy to play well though. I might be missing a lot of points in this debate because I don't find it inherently interesting, and thereby missing your point too, but Rein and Winston are not easy mode characters for noobs.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't see why twitch aiming is the be all end all benchmark video game skill and why that's the only skill that has a high skill ceiling. It sounds like that's just your favorite one so that's your go to.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok I ran out of interest in the debate I guess. I don't see what the problem is inherently with things changing from what they were before. Just because they're different doesn't mean they're worse. I guess you're arguing that they are worse but I don't agree so whatevs!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

What do you make of these mutata?

Obviously Infinity ain't ever coming back but it's odd to see new product using the same art style.

Unless this isn't "New" product so much as it's re-purposed product? Like they wrote off all the unsold figures but they still felt they could make money off the designs in a sense?

There's been a good bit of chatter about these in our ex-Avalanchers Facebook group! I also know of at least one Disney Infinity character artist that is working with/advising on them. It is absolutely a repurposing of our character designs and 3d models, not to mention our brand. The way I see it they didn't have any real reason to do this (aka they aren't selling off old inventory or anything like that) so it seems more like they genuinely liked the design language of the characters and thought that it has financial and artistic merit to do a spin off. Of course their real test will come when they start designing new ones from scratch.

In other words I don't think anyone has any reason to feel bitter or butthurt about it. On the contrary I think it's cool and I hope they sell well. I'll certainly pick up a few if they're quality enough (which knowing DCP is a big question mark but we'll see)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nina posted:

I feel like the Shadow of the Colossus remake is actually too faithful for me to be excited. As someone who's purchased that game three times in various forms already I look at the trailers and think to myself "it's pretty but I've already played this"

As someone who has never played it I'm VERY excited.

• Locked thread