Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
haveboo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Always ask the owner before petting a dog

There's a bug in the game where petting a dog will break the relationship between it and the NPC walking it, so they just forget about the dog (look in that video how the NPCs immediately switch focus to each other and the dog runs away at the end). There are no owners, pet all dogs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Saint Freak posted:

I've narrowed the field and I find myself left with two imperfect games.

Godhand problems:
Isn't Bloodborne

Bloodborne problems:
Isn't Godhand

Sadly it seems the only perfect game is one called Godbloodhandborne, which only exists in my brain.

Blood ministration keeps my pimp hand strong

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Moon Monster posted:

It was conceptually cool, and visually cool from a distance...

The horde of dragon butts was not cool but the central area was kinda cool, especially when you realized that it really was inside that giant thing you saw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nex Machina is to Robotron what Resogun was to Defender and what Super Stardust was to Asteroids. Still recognizable, but all Housemarqed up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was pretty highly regarded but it's also literally 20 years old so finding and running it today might be tricky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(1997_video_game)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

Are there any genres the Mario gang haven't gotten into yet? What would those games look like?

Mario Souls

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Peach accepts Bowser's marriage proposal as a strategic gambit to spread Toadist culture into a new region. Crusader Mushroom Kings

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Pink Elephants sequence from Dumbo is freakier than you remember

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Best romance game remains Saints Row 4, now and forever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Digirat posted:

Had these parents literally never seen any of it before because one of the bunnies starts seeing visions of fields drowned in swirling blood less than five minutes in

I remember years ago I read a thread on some other forum where a guy was complaining about how a fantasy movie he had rented from Xbox Live for his kid wasn't labeled as non-English with subtitles.

The movie was Pan's Labyrinth.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

But is Paid Mods on Boardwalk/Park Place, or is it Mediterranean Avenue

Luxury Tax

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Physics error in your favor! Collect $200 and then kick the game board as hard as you can

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Stop right there. Stop right there, criminal scum. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
6 years go was also the time I played it last so I'm getting the VR version

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Splatoon 2 will have a spooky Splatfest this Friday the 13th. I hope other games get in on the action.

Doesn't Destiny do some holiday poo poo even though it's in a psychedelic alien-robotic future

Yeah but only around Halloween, they won’t be hyping it this early.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Moon Monster posted:

My main problem with the nemesis system was that if you actually did sidequests and took upgrades you quickly became an unstoppable demigod and the potential nemeses were little more than speedbumps. I did a playthrough where I only took a few of the less overpowered upgrades and intentionally failed all of the last chances, and the whole emergent story thing worked much better. It sucks to have to play that way to make the game work, though.

It also doesn’t help that once you get that powerful you stop dying and the nemesis system doesn’t get a chance to run unless you remember to let it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He say you brade runner

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Of note is that the sound filter and fog are the secret sauce to basically everything in the game looking "Good" to the point that if you remove those things you get what are possibly the saddest looking water textures ever, which explains a lot about why the HD version of Silent Hill 2 turned out as bad as it did.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, the look of a game is a combination of everything used to create it and most games would look like poo poo if you took out major elements of their presentation. See also: the PC port of Resident Evil 4, or that glitch where a certain spot in Breath of the Wild disables the cel shader.

SH2 is the best horror game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's very hard to sustain atmosphere when the player is repeatedly getting jerked out of the moment and forced to repeat the last bit of content. Plus fear of getting killed by a big monster you see running at you is the least interesting kind of fear.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't forget that the boat starts with a short sequence where there are moulded enemies and you haven't found a gun yet. But yeah, it's turned into a free-for-all by the end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

A Twin Peaks rpg where during the day you explore the town and do quests for the weird npcs and at night you fight the black lodge.

So, yeah, Deadly Premonition

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not so much graphics they need to stop focusing on as the idea that every game should be capable of holding players' attention for hundreds of hours. Even aside from what that philosophy does to game design, the market can only support so many of those.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t know but they sure sound tiring

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm in dilemma. I'm very excited to play The Evil Within 2, which comes out on Friday. I have a friend who watched me play through the first game and enjoys horror like I do. My problem: we can only get together on Mondays, and she has moved about 30 minutes away since we played TEW. My problem; do I play through The Evil Within 2 by myself so I can binge the experience and not tell her about the game, or do I invite her over so we can go through it together but far more slowly. Additional information: my baby has chosen the hours of 6pm through 12am to be inconsolable unless he is mainlining mother's milk, making the immersion into a game pretty challenging.

Stream + party chat?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Colonel posted:

bethesda's not going to create a big infrastructure for something that exists because they saw mods and thought "we should monetize this"

That decision means they need way more infrastructure, it wastes such an enormous amount of bandwidth that I almost think it’s being reported wrong

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

You could just watch some gameplay videos on your own and prepare your wallet if you like what you see. Have you read an actually good game review in the past like 5 years, I'm confident they don't exist

Eurogamer does good reviews, especially since they switched to the scale of essential/recommended/*silence*/avoid instead of a numeric scale.

Although tbh the only recent time I can recall reviews affecting my purchasing has been holding off on Prey because of all the technical problems.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

al-azad posted:

Probably government kickbacks ontop of contract work. It's how Uwe Bol brought us so many great films.

That and Belgium probably has a lower cost of living than a lot of other places video games are made.

tap my mountain posted:

The MGSV thread having a missing last page fits the game pretty well

Only if the last 10 existing pages are just quotes of 10 other random pages from earlier

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Something happened to the forum database that was for some reason centered on zen death robot's account (he's not in trouble or anything, the server just decided to hate him in particular) so threads he had a lot of posts in started malfunctioning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember the huge Halo 2 launch festival thing that happened where they had military vehicles and poo poo celebrating the release of the game?

Or maybe it was for Halo 3, can't remember. Regardless, it was funny because G4 was covering it and making it into this big thing and Microsoft I guess dropped a lot of money to make it as big of a spectacle as they could for a release thing. I don't think that kinda thing really happens much anymore, though. Like, there'll be releases with lots of people waiting outside of the store to get the game, but nothing on the level of getting tv footage and interviews and paying for a tiny parade of sorts.

They did them for all the Halo games, and they just kept getting bigger and crazier. I ended up going to most of the NYC ones because at the time I was really involved with the Bungie fandom.

The Halo 2 event was held at the big Toys'r'Us in Times Square (rip) and while they didn't have any military vehicles yet they did run trailers on the billboards and a guerrilla marketing guy gave me a free Plantronics Xbox Live headset on condition that I also wear a Plantronics hat.

The Halo 3 event was held at the Best Buy near Bryant Park, and there they actually did have someone build a real-life Mongoose and drive it down 5th Avenue. I was too far back in the line to get a good look, but I heard the announcer get real excited about it. That was also where I first tried Mountain Dew Gamer Fuel and holy poo poo that stuff is disgusting.

The Halo Reach event was in a theater in Times Square. Kid Cudi was supposed to perform but he never showed up. I always thought he had scored an early copy of the game and bailed on us all to play it, then felt bad about thinking this a few years later when he revealed his history with depression.

And yeah, no one really does this any more. Way cheaper to mail boxes to a few dozen top streamers than to throw a big party somewhere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

:stonk:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But is it a hard or soft G

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kratos was fine in the first game, the mistake was making more of them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

corn in the bible posted:

Seth Rogen should make a crpg

Seth rogen only makes wrpgs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay I finished both Amnesia games, what else spooky should I play?

SOMA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hi I just got my Switch and what's the right way to dock it

Open palm slam, every morning

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

If you had to pick one game to show to some unfortunate non-gamer in order to prove that Video Games Are Art, which game would you choose

Journey, and really surprised no one has said this yet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A cat opens a loot crate, removes all the loot, jumps in crate, falls asleep

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The thread was a magnet for idiots who would buy an account, make one horrible weeaboo post, and get instantly banned. The greater internet DR community got extremely mad about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's pronounced moe-ay :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsAk-f-p6qc

• Locked thread