Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

It's an archaic word for fence, like palisade or iron palings (or to impale, which you can do with both).

It's probably problematic too, because it was usually some kind of border fence to keep Jews or Irish beyond the pale, but everyone has forgotten what the word means.

If we get rid of everything that has historically persecuted Jews we're not gonna have anything left though. I could be persuaded to ditch banking though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's an archaic word for fence, like palisade or iron palings (or to impale, which you can do with both).

It's probably problematic too, because it was usually some kind of border fence to keep Jews or Irish beyond the pale, but everyone has forgotten what the word means.

I think it's more generally racist, "That's how the barbarians outside the city walls do things" than specifically about keeping a particular group out, which is probably fine - we're not precluding the use of words like "barbarian" (or "vandal" for that matter) are we?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
'The Pale' was originally the first area of Norman colonisation of Ireland, centred around modern Dublin. It's a straight 'beyond here be our inferiors' concept.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There was also the Pale of Settlement in Russia, which was an area where Jews were allowed to live unmolested unless the Russians got bored.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Neville is too loving good for this world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that Nev has apparently spent all evening retweeting pictures of dogs.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Big Nev? More like Big Nice man.

It's going to be horrible when he turns out to be a nonce.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
I met Neville at a funfair in Llandudno when I was five and he didn't nonce me at all.

EDIT: I was there with my Nan. Meeting him was a coincidence.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Gonzo McFee posted:

Big Nev? More like Big Nice man.

It's going to be horrible when he turns out to be a nonce.

Big Nev is famous for safeguarding youngsters from weirdos

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Something will happen. He'll be found naked in the park screaming racial epithets at the swans. Nobody is this purely good.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gonzo McFee posted:

Something will happen. He'll be found naked in the park screaming racial epithets at the swans. Nobody is this purely good.

That would only increase my estimation of the man, swans are total fuckers and doubtless capitalist.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gonzo McFee posted:

He'll beat the poo poo out of a tory.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

His learning and being so awesome about all he discovers is one of the very few good things about twitter. Goodness, I love seeing his tweets!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's the thing, I don't think he is some paragon of virtue, he's just a bloke who knows his own mind, doesn't really bear anyone any (undeserving) malice, but has the sort of deep-seated contempt for Tories that only a Welshman who spent much of his adult life in Liverpool can have.

It's a sad commentary on our times that "Late-middle-age man enjoys tweeting out appeals for missing persons, dogs that need adopting, and forthright but compassionate opinions on politics" is quite as remarkable as it is.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the thing, I don't think he is some paragon of virtue, he's just a bloke who knows his own mind, doesn't really bear anyone any (undeserving) malice, but has the sort of deep-seated contempt for Tories that only a Welshman who spent much of his adult life in Liverpool can have.

It's a sad commentary on our times that "Late-middle-age man enjoys tweeting out appeals for missing persons, dogs that need adopting, and forthright but compassionate opinions on politics" is quite as remarkable as it is.

In a better world he'd be the true face of modern Britain.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Imagine... a Britain where the most popular websites are dailypup.co.uk where people comment on how dogs are great and thesum.co.uk where everyone organises to combine efforts for the greater good.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
edit: nm

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
FT making a good case for direct democracy

quote:

What Karl Marx said of capitalism’s inherent instabilities is truer of democracy. The poor will always outnumber the rich. Technocracy can protect the rich from the poor. Direct democracy gives the poor maximal power over the rich. Representative democracy is not optimal for either. If it falls again, the culprit need not have the specific human face of a dictator. It might have the seething faces of all of us.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/davidwalliams/status/925471774493560833

David Walliams operates on Trump power where every time I see him do something that makes me think "There you go, that's your career dead" it only seems to make him richer and more successful.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Does Matt Lucas still have a career after he did that airport sitcom where he wore blackface

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Is Walliams a Known oval office? I cant keep up with this stuff

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
He got his big break from Little Britain and constantly does blackface and yellowface "Ironically" so aye, Known oval office.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

communism bitch posted:

Well he's obviously a oval office, but I think he's also suspiciously squeaky clean in a serial killer kind of way

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Man, Little Britain really has aged poorly. Looking back on it, it really was hateful.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

TomViolence posted:

Man, Little Britain really has aged poorly. Looking back on it, it really was hateful.

There was a hell of a lot of vicious poo poo in it and some innocent and amusing ones.

Guess which ones the public loved and became popular.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TomViolence posted:

What are you talking about, characters like "Man faking being disabled", "Man too proud about being gay" and "Trans character who insists she's a lady" are all timeless characters.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TomViolence posted:

It was pretty obvious at the time

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TomViolence posted:

coincidentally i saw an interview with Matt Lucas in the Metro or something a while back where he reflected that Little Britain was a really thoughtlessly spiteful show and he wouldn't make anything like it today.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Gonzo McFee posted:

What are you talking about, characters like "Man faking being disabled", "Man too proud about being gay" and "Trans character who insists she's a lady" are all timeless characters.

You forgot 'woman so violently racist she projectile vomits if she's reminded non-white people exist' and 'old lady that pees herself'

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

communism bitch posted:

He does Extreme Things for charity which insulates him somewhat, and his kid books are apparently really good.

But his and Lucas's comedy? Eh, lads, I get some of where you were coming from, but really it's just clumsy, clumsy shite

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

TheHoodedClaw posted:

He does Extreme Things for charity which insulates him somewhat, and his kid books are apparently really good.

But his and Lucas's comedy? Eh, lads, I get some of where you were coming from, but really it's just clumsy, clumsy shite

You know who else did a lot of conspicuous charity work?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Rumda posted:

You forgot 'woman so violently racist she projectile vomits if she's reminded non-white people exist' and 'old lady that pees herself'

I could never forget their fanbase.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The only good thing Matt Lucas has ever done was Shooting Stars.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

You know who else did a lot of conspicuous charity work?

Prince Harry?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Do you remember when Tony Blair did Little Britain

Ah, the past

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

communism bitch posted:

coincidentally i saw an interview with Matt Lucas in the Metro or something a while back where he reflected that Little Britain was a really thoughtlessly spiteful show and he wouldn't make anything like it today.

Only a few weeks ago, actually.

I liked it at the time, when I was a shithead idiot kid, but today, even ignoring poo poo like the loving blackface (in 2003 not 1973!) it's catchphrase comedy at it's absolute worst.

Like, I was going through some stuff to get rid off, and found the DVDs lodged in the back of a cupboard, put it on for a few minutes, and thought "yep...this poo poo is going."

kustomkarkommando posted:

Do you remember when Tony Blair did Little Britain

Ah, the past

am i bovvered*

It was Catherine Tate - who was legit better in Doctor Who. Same for Matt Lucas thinking about it...

*am i bovvered bout the blood of soldiers and iraqs on my hands me sir who sir no sir

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 1, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Little Britain being held up as some sort of product of an enlightened mind was when the UKs claim to be superior at comedy finally loving died.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Oh yeah, it was Catherine Tate.

I think my brain has smooshed all those horrible character sketch shows into one screaming ball of agony in my brain

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I found Benny Hill funny when I was like 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
00's sketch comedy where they just repeat the same sketch every week with no development is when sketch comedy died as a form for me.

At least Monkey Dust was good.

• Locked thread