Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gideon’s getting the knife in

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/revealed-backbenchers-blocked-bid-to-shield-staff-from-sex-pest-mps-a3671276.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Rock Profile was always much better than Little Britain, which I loving loathed

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can’t think of many sketch comedy shows that were funny after Little Britain poisoned the well.

Big Train was a fair bit before it, Mitchell and Webb was very average.

Edit: Kevin Eldon and Peter Serafinowicz did some stuff but they were more or less veterans by that point anyway.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 1, 2017

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

There was a single reoccuring skit in little britain of a man trying to order increasingly absurd cards from a newsagent; they were surprisingly funny and im pretty sure the only one not to use an aspect of one of the characters as the driving force behind the comedy.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I like Mitchell and Webb Look even if the latter of the two is a completely unforgivably liberal centrist turd who thinks he’s a lefty.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

communism bitch posted:

coincidentally i saw an interview with Matt Lucas in the Metro or something a while back where he reflected that Little Britain was a really thoughtlessly spiteful show and he wouldn't make anything like it today.

If an MP can be crucified for something they wrote on a message board nearly 20 years ago, I'm not sure 'I wouldn't do it now' is enough apology for a long-running show mocking gay people, trans people, and poor people.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

00's sketch comedy where they just repeat the same sketch every week with no development is when sketch comedy died as a form for me.

The Fast Show should have been the end of that format, and even they misfired a lot.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Problem with sketch shows in the 00s is that they all followed suit from the Fast Show where you could repeat the same gag over and over again. The Fast Show realised though that the repetition gives you the opportunity to surprise your audience for bigger laughs when you throw an unexpected twist in. The newer shows rarely did that though.

Anyway, looking back on it Mr Show is probably the best sketch show ever written and has aged incredibly well so everyone should watch that.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Key and Peele is a good recent-ish sketch show. Or if we're just talking British stuff, Limmy was generally more hit than miss.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

The Fast Show realised though that the repetition gives you the opportunity to surprise your audience for bigger laughs when you throw an unexpected twist in.

The Fast Show ultimately realised that you could break the audience's hearts, if the characters have been drawn well enough. That's a bold strategy for a comedy sketch show.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CptAwesome posted:

There was a single reoccuring skit in little britain of a man trying to order increasingly absurd cards from a newsagent; they were surprisingly funny and im pretty sure the only one not to use an aspect of one of the characters as the driving force behind the comedy.

I think the only one-off sketch I found amusing was one where one of them goes into a charity shop, checks through a clothes rail and asks if somebody died in them, only to be disappointed when they haven't. And some of what Tom Baker says is mildly amusing, but that's Tom Baker...

Firos posted:

I like Mitchell and Webb Look even if the latter of the two is a completely unforgivably liberal centrist turd who thinks he's a lefty.

Didn't he post something on twitter about missing Blair or something? It may have been Corbyn specific, it's hard to keep track sometimes.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

jabby posted:

If an MP can be crucified for something they wrote on a message board nearly 20 years ago, I'm not sure 'I wouldn't do it now' is enough apology for a long-running show mocking gay people, trans people, and poor people.

I have no particular appreciation for Lucas. I just thought it was interesting that a celebriry has even that minimal capacity for self reflection.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think the only one-off sketch I found amusing was one where one of them goes into a charity shop, checks through a clothes rail and asks if somebody died in them, only to be disappointed when they haven't. And some of what Tom Baker says is mildly amusing, but that's Tom Baker...

Didn't he post something on twitter about missing Blair or something? It may have been Corbyn specific, it's hard to keep track sometimes.

Webb pretty much has identical politics to Rowling, as far as I can tell.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Thanks Ants posted:

Webb pretty much has identical politics to Rowling, as far as I can tell.

Cheers, that's why I'm probably mixing up the two.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

He was screaming about how terrible Corbyn was pretty much every day to a personal level and famously told Russell Brand to "Read some loving Orwell" and said that Brand saying that voting changes nothing had caused him to rejoin the Labour party (Making him making a huge deal out of leaving the Labour party because it had been taken over by the left loving hilarious in retrospect).

Since the General Election he's done a Lemon Drizzle and stopped posting about Corbyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Corbyn is good, Little Britain was always trash, and the new thread is here.

• Locked thread