Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Guavanaut posted:

CAPITALISM IN CRISIS - NIGEL SLATER'S AUTUMN VEGETABLE SOUP.

The Allotment Plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

CAPITALISM IN CRISIS - NIGEL SLATER'S AUTUMN VEGETABLE SOUP.

Do you put the exclusive extract of Lou Reed in the autumn soup?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Do you put the exclusive extract of Lou Reed in the autumn soup?
I think you need a prescription to get that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
great look for the spanish government this

https://twitter.com/Jane_Samuels/status/914444724135763968

https://twitter.com/nirwin9x/status...23post476939814

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
You'd think of all the governments in the world, the Spanish in particular would know by now how to deal with regions demanding independence. This is not the way at all.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
next el classico gonna be v. spicy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is not just the mask slipping anymore, they're throwing it away jfc.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Nicely spooply OP Ghoulvanaut :ghost:

jabby posted:

May just had a pretty bad interview on Marr.

You know things are going badly for the Tories when their 'positive' policy announcements, like lifting the pay cap and freezing tuition fees, have been met with a storm of media criticism and general scorn. They are literally trapped, anything popular they announce will be hammered for both not going as far as Corbyn and being a reversal of their previous policy.

I still find it hard to believe that in every single instance, May has chosen the single worst mode of action possible - anything that gets rid of the Tories quicker is good in my opinion, of course - but the constant gently caress-ups, U-turns, and shallow attempts to rectify their gently caress-ups and U-turns...it's a glorious trainwreck :getin:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My my what's that in the corner

Oh yeah that's the stuff - right into my veins. :fap:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/914149368479043584

Oh poo poo, the Tories have cracked how to capture the next generation!

"Allow your child to grow-up to be a egotistical sociopathic twat, to avoid the tiny terror of microcommunism (AKA what normies call the strange custom of "sharing", and "not being a twat)".

Also, following the extract from Zephro, The Egg is very concerned;

quote:

He comes very close to suggesting the Tories are losing touch with them and clearly fears that Jeremy Corbyn’s anti-capitalist rhetoric may be striking a chord. “Let’s say they were teenagers in the financial crisis 10 years ago and now they are starting to vote. Their political consciousness is maybe [emerging] during the time of the financial crisis and they hear a lot of negative stuff about the banking system and markets, and all of a sudden they are told nationalisation is the answer. They don’t remember or relate to what happened in the 1970s.”

Javid is already thinking about the next election, in a way that makes it possible to imagine him emerging as a leadership candidate. He has three priorities for boosting Tory support: “By the time of the next election, in terms of where we need to increase our appeal the most … it’s got to be in London, it’s got to be with younger voters and it’s got to be with ethnic minority voters. Those are three of the most important areas. We clearly didn’t do enough [last time].”

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm excited for Catalonia's entry in Eurovision next year

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Rarity posted:

I'm excited for Catalonia's entry in Eurovision next year

it's going to be interesting watching the Spanish entry start beating them up mid-song

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jesus loving christ the spanish government watched trumps efforts to forment a civil war and were like sostenga mi cerveza amigo, tengo esto

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So when May was challenged about the pound dropping on her watch, she said a real 'run on the pound' means people queuing up to take their money out of banks.

Is that right? I thought a run on the pound was something involving international currency markets. Why would people taking their money out of banks have anything to do with the value of the pound?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has she confused it with a run on the banks?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Pesky Splinter posted:

I still find it hard to believe that in every single instance, May has chosen the single worst mode of action possible - anything that gets rid of the Tories quicker is good in my opinion, of course - but the constant gently caress-ups, U-turns, and shallow attempts to rectify their gently caress-ups and U-turns...it's a glorious trainwreck :getin:
I imagine their latest masterstroke to freeze tuition isn't having much effect because the fees are already loving insane. Freezing them won't do poo poo. The whole idea is a lazy attempt at best. Easy to one-up by just suggesting to actually lower fees, even by a minor amount.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God, imagine the state Spain would be in if every single fascist didn't coincidentally die on the exact same day Franco did. It'd be even worse had that not happened.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

jabby posted:

So when May was challenged about the pound dropping on her watch, she said a real 'run on the pound' means people queuing up to take their money out of banks.

Is that right? I thought a run on the pound was something involving international currency markets. Why would people taking their money out of banks have anything to do with the value of the pound?

What May's talking about would be a run on the banks, which isn't the same thing at all.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

limited posted:

I imagine their latest masterstroke to freeze tuition isn't having much effect because the fees are already loving insane. Freezing them won't do poo poo. The whole idea is a lazy attempt at best. Easy to one-up by just suggesting to actually lower fees, even by a minor amount.

Or by abolishing them, which already is Labour policy.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

the last time someone tried to convince students they were going to abolish tuition fees, tuition fees ended up increasing, so logically if someone says they're going to freeze tuition fees that means they're going to increase them even more. If someone ever promises to actively give money to students then maybe that might mean they go down a bit, depending on how strongly the balance of power shakes out

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Spain should learn from the UK in referendum rigging. You only need a couple months of national broadcaster TV bias before the vote. This throwing people down stairs and stamping on their faces thing is never gonna work.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

spain should just have put some big numbers on some buses and driven them around for a bit, that seems to do the trick

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Angepain posted:

spain should just have put some big numbers on some buses and driven them around for a bit, that seems to do the trick

It's like they've never even heard of "retomar el control".

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Freezing fees is pointless. Makes no difference whether you nominally paid £9250 or 2% more to the bulk of graduates who’ll never pay off in full. And only a difference to the remainder in either a couple of decades, or sooner if they’re amongst the very richest.

It’s just another real terms cut to uni funding. Just what’s needed.

On the other hand raising the payment threshold will actually benefit anyone except the shittiest paid already not earning above £20k. And actually what Osbourne & Cable promised when the £9k fees came in. So a u-turn of a u-turn :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

That's a run on the banks, when people lose faith in their ability to store money for them and try to take it out. A run on the pound would presumably be when people lose faith in the pound as a reliable store of international value and start trying to sell it. Which, uh...

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's like they've never even heard of "retomar el control".

What they needed was to launch a "Juntos, más fuertes" campaign, saying that if Catalonia left Spain, they'd lose their place in the EU.
Then, after they vote to stay in Spain, immediately launch a referendum for Spain to leave the EU.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

That's a run on the banks, when people lose faith in their ability to store money for them and try to take it out. A run on the pound would presumably be when people lose faith in the pound as a reliable store of international value and start trying to sell it. Which, uh...

Bitcoin: Any Day Now

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jabby posted:

May just had a pretty bad interview on Marr.

You know things are going badly for the Tories when their 'positive' policy announcements, like lifting the pay cap and freezing tuition fees, have been met with a storm of media criticism and general scorn. They are literally trapped, anything popular they announce will be hammered for both not going as far as Corbyn and being a reversal of their previous policy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-41459686/theresa-may-cabinet-is-united-in-mission-of-this-government

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
How is the Spanish reaction to the Catalan Independence vote a surprise?

With how the Spanish can on one hand demand Gibraltar back and with a straight face think Ceuta and Melilla is fine shows a massive level of cognitive dissonance or straight colonialist arrogance. Add in the legacy of the old Franco fascism that has never been delt with on a national level and you have a recipe for state violence.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The government has a mission? Other than possibly remaining a government?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Angepain posted:

The government has a mission? Other than possibly remaining a government?

Mission Statement: Everything Not Nailed Down

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The problem for the Spanish government is that they kept telling people against independence not to vote, thus assuring independence would win despite only having ~30% popularity among Catalans before. And then the Catalan regional government said they would declare independence regardless of how legitimate it was.

So yea they hosed it up. But their only real option is to try to delegitimise it further, any way they can.

E: To be fair the "nobody vote" tactics worked once before already, there was another referendum a few years ago that was declared void because of only 37% voting participation (with 80% for independence)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 1, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

How is the Spanish reaction to the Catalan Independence vote a surprise?

With how the Spanish can on one hand demand Gibraltar back and with a straight face think Ceuta and Melilla is fine shows a massive level of cognitive dissonance or straight colonialist arrogance. Add in the legacy of the old Franco fascism that has never been delt with on a national level and you have a recipe for state violence.

But you see these little cities on a completely different continent are totally an integral part of Europe and furthermore *faaaaaart*

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Private Speech posted:

The problem for the Spanish government is that they kept telling people against independence not to vote, thus assuring independence would win despite only having ~30% popularity among Catalans before. And then the Catalan regional government said they would declare independence regardless of how legitimate it was.

So yea they hosed it up. But their only real option is to try to delegitimise it further, any way they can.

The way you delegitimise a referendum is put a minimum turnout requirement for it, since anything above 80% or so turnout is a rare enough event in western politics that it'd only be reached if it was already over.

The way you give it legitimacy is by literally attacking people voting for self determination. All they've done is guaranteed violence against the police will happen and be well supported by the public.

TinTower posted:

But you see these little cities on a completely different continent are totally an integral part of Europe and furthermore *faaaaaart*

Cueta and Melilla have an incredibly high density of banks, and it is vital for Spanish politicians to keep them so as not to lose the drug money they skim from one of the busiest routes into Europe.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Damien Green posted:

You had a Conservative Prime Minister stand on the steps of Downing Street and say: "There are burning injustices in this country that I want to deal with". People thought that was surprising.

When you tacitly admit your party has never given a poo poo about injustice and everybody knows it.

OwlFancier posted:

That's what I thought at the time, I was just surprised nobody seemed to pick up on the fact that May apparently doesn't know what a run on the pound is.

jabby fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 1, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

That's what I thought at the time, I was just surprised nobody seemed to pick up on the fact that May apparently doesn't know what a run on the pound is.

She knows, Marr was just hammering her and she needed to spin it hard

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/CataloniaHelp2/status/914131859654639616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My my what's that in the corner

Nice. Lou Reed is so cool.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah that will definitely make the people calling for independence give up on their ambitions.

The Spanish government have handled this in the worst way possible. They really should have looked at how the British government handled the Scottish indyref. In a legal referendum held now, without all these shenanigans from the Madrid government, No would win & Catalunya would stay part of Spain. Instead they've just done the pro-indy movement a massive favour.

jabby posted:

Holy poo poo, our Prime Minister is a loving moron.

Spain sure has done a lovely job of confronting it's fascist past. What a surprise that this had consequences.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Spangly A posted:

The way you delegitimise a referendum is put a minimum turnout requirement for it, since anything above 80% or so turnout is a rare enough event in western politics that it'd only be reached if it was already over.

The way you give it legitimacy is by literally attacking people voting for self determination. All they've done is guaranteed violence against the police will happen and be well supported by the public.

That's what they did in 2014 and prob. wanted to do now again. So yeah they hosed up in a major way.

Catalonian independence would be kinda cool though.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

baka kaba posted:

She knows, Marr was just hammering her and she needed to spin it hard

She might not know - she's famously not very smart.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
From Grauniad live feed;

quote:

Damian Green, the first secretary of state, claimed this morning that Theresa May could lead the party into the next election.

But Grant Shapps, the Conservative former party chairman, told Peston on Sunday that Green was wrong. Shapps said:
"[Green] has got to say that, in the same way that she does. But if you run any organisation ... and something goes monumentally wrong, as it did at the election ... the buck does have to stop with that individual. The reality is that every serious person, every serious MP, every commentator knows she can’t lead us into the next election. Of course she can’t."

Lord Heseltine, the Conservative former deputy prime minister, said the same thing on the BBC’s Sunday Politics. Asked about the prospect of May still being leader at the time of the next election, he replied:
"I don’t think there is any prospect of that"

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Foxtrot_13 posted:

With how the Spanish can on one hand demand Gibraltar back and with a straight face think Ceuta and Melilla is fine shows a massive level of cognitive dissonance or straight colonialist arrogance.
Gibraltar to Spain, Ceuta and Melilla to Morocco, Western Sahara split between Spain and the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Western Canaries to UK.

Everyone winds up roughly equal, borders are nicer, everyone still probably pissed off.

• Locked thread