Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Cerv posted:

On the other hand raising the payment threshold will actually benefit anyone except the shittiest paid already not earning above £20k. And actually what Osbourne & Cable promised when the £9k fees came in. So a u-turn of a u-turn :)

Yeah, it benefits people but only in the sense that it semi-reverses the Tories deliberate decision to make things worse. Very generous of them.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/914397952097095680
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/914400720694206464
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/914403158398570496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Are they really still going to try that now that his gay marriage and abortion vjews are widely known?

Currently he's leading a right-wing media push against the idea of guaranteeing that EU citizens' rights are continued after Brexit. Because that might mean that they have more rights than British citizens once the 'British Bill of Rights' rolls in. No, I'm not kidding. He's also in third place in the leadership contest internal polls after Boris Johnson and Ruth Davidson, which may mean that he'll try to hoover up the hard-right vote after Johnson flames out. Expect a showdown between a Scottish lesbian and a Catholic aristocrat for control of a right-wing party to get really, really ugly.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Earlier this year I was in Barcelona with my partner (her whole family is from the city), we were eating at some cafe while some Catalan guys were a couple tables away talking about the issue. At one point my gf kind of gasped and translated for me that one of the guys at the other table had said "gently caress them, let them starve" with reference to what would happen to poorer regions in Spain without the financial input from Catalonia. I just put that out there because I think some people form the impression of the Catalan people as a homogeneous mass of poor, oppressed people yearning for to be free, but it's not as clear cut as that (although the Catalan culture and language were severely repressed in the past).
This wasn't some outrageous comment that you'd hardly ever hear, either. Catalonia is a comparatively wealthy region of Spain, and the fact that some of that wealth helps support other, poorer regions in Spain is sometimes talked of in the ugliest terms. So, although it might not be immediately apparent, there are really quite vile sentiments being thrown around in certain currents of the independence debate.

But on the other hand Rajoy is showing himself to be a quasi-fascist dickhead by bringing to bear the whole weight of the state's coercive force in order to deny people a vote on whether they even want to be part of the state to begin with. Like everything in Spanish politics the whole situation is a complete clusterfuck.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The spanish riot police make the english ones look like boy scouts.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jippa posted:

The spanish riot police make the english ones look like boy scouts.

The Mossos (Catalan regional police) are getting a lot of praise for their refusal to use violence right now, and as my partner will tell you from personal experience they are some of the most brutal cops in all of Spain. If they're being as sweet as lambs right now it's probably because they're hedging their bets.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

jabby posted:

So when May was challenged about the pound dropping on her watch, she said a real 'run on the pound' means people queuing up to take their money out of banks.

Is that right? I thought a run on the pound was something involving international currency markets. Why would people taking their money out of banks have anything to do with the value of the pound?
Yeah, I spotted that too. She's wrong. She's describing a run on the banks. Either she doesn't know the difference, which would be worrying or she was v quick on her feet with the misleading interpretation.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think it's pretty much a restatement of the Eye's Court Circular bits about how pissed off Brenda was at May for forcing her to miss the Garter Ceremony (one of the few duties she still enjoys, apparently) by saying she had a deal with the DUP when she didn't, although the stuff about May being on the verge of breakdown over Grenfell Tower is new.

There's a smidge more on that in this summary in the Independent

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

jojoinnit posted:

I thought step one was "move to the north". I had a coworker sit me down the other day to ask what it was like to live in Manchester because he's thinking of settling down.

I mean, that's what me and my partner did. Except to Liverpool, less chance of a tory conference here.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Did I imagine it, or did Damian Green really claim on 5Live that one of his favourite bands when he was growing up was the Clash?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Angepain posted:

Bitcoin: Any Day Now
I laughed about bitcoin as much as anyone when it started but it does actually still seem to be going and a couple of real life people I know have bought actual real stuff off using it so it has actually lasted for what 4 years now? I'm almost tempted to buy a couple to see if it works to buy weed off the grey net :/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cultural Marxist posted:

Did I imagine it, or did Damian Green really claim on 5Live that one of his favourite bands when he was growing up was the Clash?

Paul Ryan's favourite band is rage against the machine

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

communism bitch posted:

Earlier this year I was in Barcelona with my partner (her whole family is from the city), we were eating at some cafe while some Catalan guys were a couple tables away talking about the issue. At one point my gf kind of gasped and translated for me that one of the guys at the other table had said "gently caress them, let them starve" with reference to what would happen to poorer regions in Spain without the financial input from Catalonia. I just put that out there because I think some people form the impression of the Catalan people as a homogeneous mass of poor, oppressed people yearning for to be free, but it's not as clear cut as that (although the Catalan culture and language were severely repressed in the past).
This wasn't some outrageous comment that you'd hardly ever hear, either. Catalonia is a comparatively wealthy region of Spain, and the fact that some of that wealth helps support other, poorer regions in Spain is sometimes talked of in the ugliest terms. So, although it might not be immediately apparent, there are really quite vile sentiments being thrown around in certain currents of the independence debate.

But on the other hand Rajoy is showing himself to be a quasi-fascist dickhead by bringing to bear the whole weight of the state's coercive force in order to deny people a vote on whether they even want to be part of the state to begin with. Like everything in Spanish politics the whole situation is a complete clusterfuck.

He could be saying that out of anger rather than any "gently caress the poor" feelings. If he hates the rest of Spain that much maybe he wants them all to starve. I've thought/said really dumb things when having a fit of pique.

Or he's exactly the bastard you thought he was. This was a useful post.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lol nobody's favourite band is gonna be right wing because they can't make art other than comics and video games

Right wingers gotta listen to our music and scoff/ignore the lyrics

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/914397887978598400

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

Yeah, I spotted that too. She's wrong. She's describing a run on the banks. Either she doesn't know the difference, which would be worrying or she was v quick on her feet with the misleading interpretation.

Willing to bet every single time people mention the pound making GBS threads itself now it'll be met with that picture of people queueing outside Northern Rock, captioned with "SEE THIS IS WHAT A RUN ON THE POUND LOOKS LIKE THANKS TO BROON SPENDING ALL THE POONDS".

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

A government we can all get behind.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

I always thought vampires would be firmly right-wing, what with them most likely being filthy rich thanks to having invested into real estate when it was really cheap.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jose posted:

Paul Ryan's favourite band is rage against the machine

Gordon Brown's is the Artic Monkeys.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Pochoclo posted:

I always thought vampires would be firmly right-wing, what with them most likely being filthy rich thanks to having invested into real estate when it was really cheap.

"Capital is dead labour, that, vampire-like, only lives by sucking living labour, and lives the more, the more labour it sucks."

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Cultural Marxist posted:

Paul Ryan claimed to be a RATM fan when he ran for vice president in 2012. Irony has been dead forever.

E: that'll teach me not to refresh before posting

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jo Cox? Never heard of her.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Anyone at the Tory party conference March? I'm currently being kettled on Southern Street just off from the March cause I stood by some what I'm guessing are some kind of anarchists for too long. Either going to be allowed to join the end of the March or get arrested I suppose.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Multiple fascist salutes -and- the Carlist flag :wtc:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of Dan Hodges...

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/914476267235418112

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dickhead, the next Labour government will transform Britain (into an army of the undead).

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Hot take of the day:

https://twitter.com/EmmaBurnell_/status/914442038598410240

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/cnurys_RTS/status/914474079746445312

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Remind me, has Dan Hodges finally come out an avowed Tory or is he still claiming to be a sensible, mature centrist.

Edit: ^^^^^ Holy poo poo, that's bad. When you've lost the support of essential services like the firemen then poo poo is turning against you hard.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
My partner's in Barcelona atm and just sent me a video on whatsapp of riot cops in full armour kicking, punching and stamping on citizens who were sitting and laying passively on the ground in a polling station, offering no resistance whatsoever.

e: that one VV

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The Guardia Civil's emblem doesn't incorporate a fasces for nothing.

https://twitter.com/BlancaLlumVidal/status/914420654753173504

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Zephro posted:

Corbyn came out with the "there's been a run on the pound since 2015" line during the Labour conference, they've had time to come up with something. I guess this is the best they can do after that :newdanger:

CptAwesome posted:

Anyone at the Tory party conference March? I'm currently being kettled on Southern Street just off from the March cause I stood by some what I'm guessing are some kind of anarchists for too long. Either going to be allowed to join the end of the March or get arrested I suppose.

Don't get rained on too much. How's it looking in general?

Speaking of kettling things are getting wilder in Catalunya

https://twitter.com/AUGC_Comunica/status/914476437784158208

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
My word, Labour has made their own website for the Conservative conference.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/CatalansForYes/status/914473277443031041

poo poo has gone sideways pretty badly. Riot police brutally beating Firefighters for trying to protect civilians is edging pretty close to full scale public revolt.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

communism bitch posted:

Earlier this year I was in Barcelona

Yes I've been very much underwhelmed by the arguments I've heard for why Catalonian independence is one of liberation rather than a rich area complaining about bearing the burden of supporting the whole, even though it's coming from a period of austerity as well.

Thankfully the Spanish state are handling the affair so badly that I have no qualms about criticising how they're dealing with it even if I feel the Catalonian cause is questionable.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Yeah I think I need to revise my previous "quasi-fascist" statement about Rajoy to "complete fascist". Whatever the merits and motives of the people in power pushing Cataln independence, Rajoy's response completely delgitimises him and the Spanish state.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

:eyepop: holy poo poo. Labour have really pulled it together this year.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/rightvoicenow/status/914494379133415425

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
loving hell

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Firos posted:

:eyepop: holy poo poo. Labour have really pulled it together this year.

The 'our plan' section, featuring an annotated Tory manifesto, is absolute gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/diponte/status/914472345565368320

The SWP, of course, campaigned to leave.

• Locked thread