Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Unless you think the ratings drop is caused by the lack of competition causing games to be more often bad than good. I don't necessarily believe that, but it's possible.

The ratings drop is caused by a lot of things it seems. Cord-cutting and streaming are the old stand-bys, but now you're adding in protests (and protests against protests), and just a general drop in interest because the overall level of play seems to be falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I think the giants wouldn't be staring down 0-16 if

a) the giants had a halfway decent left tackle
b) the defense realizes that tight ends, actually, do exist and make plays.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don't think even the Chargers will be able to lose to the Browns this time

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

new york football giants come on down

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
the Browns could put up a hundred on the Giants.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Armitage posted:

the Browns could put up a hundred on the Giants.

Kizer couldn't. Hogan might do 20.

If Myles isn't on the field the Browns couldn't cover a flea.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So 3 survived?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

So 3 survived?

Yep. Think it might be time for me to write up an effortpost.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
god I loving love watching Eli Manning explode

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Denver's coming off a bye and host the Giants this upcoming Sunday night. Get the 6 ready

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Kizer couldn't. Hogan might do 20.

If Myles isn't on the field the Browns couldn't cover a flea.

The Browns would rack up like 600 yards of offense and turn the ball over int he red zone 8 times

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Taking the template from my 19-0/0-16 thread last season. Please feel free to put this in the OP, I'll try and update every week.

19-0 Contenders As Of The End of Week 5

Kansas City Chiefs

Next Opponent: Steelers

0-16 Contenders As Of The End of Week 5

Cleveland Browns (again)

Next Opponent: @Texans

San Francisco 49ers

Next Opponent: @Washington

New York Giants

Next Opponent: @Broncos

Week 5 19-0 Chase Commentary

Unlike last year, we only have one real contender this year and it's the Chiefs. Through 5 weeks they've faced (and beaten) the Pats (in Foxboro!), the Eagles, the Chargers, Washington and now Houston. The biggest obstacle to a perfect season for the Chiefs is now the Broncos, ironically one of our last-standing undefeated teams last year. The Chiefs take on the Steelers in Pittsburgh this week. Normally, this would be a game that you'd think the Chiefs would be primed to lose, but uh, the Steelers just threw 6 interceptions against the Jaguars. They're gonna need all the luck they can get against Alex Smith this week.

Upcoming Games:

Steelers @ Chiefs

Week 5 0-16 Chase Commentary

Oh god. Oh goddddddddd.

Ohhhhhhhhh man.

These teams are ugly this year. I think we might actually see it folks. We might see the first year the 2008 Detroit Lions don't have to drink rainwater out of a shoe when the last winless team gets a win. This time last year it was just down to the Browns. This year? This year we've got not one, not two but three putrid teams vying for your affection. Let's meet our contestants!

Our first contestant is our old friend the Cleveland Browns. :smith: It feels really bad seeing them back here again but welp, they are. Good news for the Browns though! This year's schedule is a lot easi-

oh come on!

Other than the game against the Bears do you guys see any wins here? I'd point to the Jaguars game but unfortunately it's in an odd week so they'll win 64-3 or something like that. Yikes.

Our next contestant is another old bottom-dwelling pal, the San Francisco 49ers. Hi guys! How's Levi Stadium treating you? Oh. Not great? Er, well Jed York is a...oh. Still an rear end in a top hat then. Uh at least you've got uh.....Carlos Hyde? Yeah I dunno. This is a franchise devoid of hope. Let's take a look at the schedule and see if any hope is coming:

Hmm... Maybe Week 9 against the Cardinals? The last game was pretty close and the Cards aren't looking too hot. Maybe the Bears game if the wheels continue to ineffectively spin up there. Of course there is one game that looms very large that looks winnable, but I don't want to spoil the introduction for our last contestant. In short, this doesn't seem like a winless team so I expect they won't be spending too much time here.

And finally our last contestant. The contestant that I think might just stun us all. Yes I'm talking about the New York Giants. They've lost Odell Beckham Jr for the year on an absolutely horrific leg injury, another 3 WRs are injured, the line can't block and the defense can't seem to get off the field despite a good d-line. The only thing this team seems to be able to do well is find new and excruciating ways to lose. Week 1 it was a classic Giants/Cowboys loss that came down to the wire. Week 2 was getting smashed by the Lions. Week 3 had them lose on the longest FG in their opponent's history after managing a 14 point comeback. Week 4 had them lose a game where their opponent was all but begging them to win. And Week 5 saw everyone but Eli get hurt. Sorry Giants :smith:. Maybe there's some hope on the horizon?

NOPE

The only possible win I see on here is maybe against the Niners and I honestly think the Niners have a much, much better chance than the Giants. The next two weeks are going to see them get vaporized by the Broncos and Seahawks. This team is all the things you don't want to be: old, injured, demoralized and just listless all-around. Woof.

Upcoming Games:

Browns @ Texans
Niners @ Washington
Giants @ Broncos

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 9, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Giants will win at least 1 division game because NFCE clownball

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

axeil posted:

So much effort

Stolen with some minor improvements because gently caress your faith in analytics.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
Why isn't this called the Matt Millen Trophy

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Stolen with some minor improvements because gently caress your faith in analytics.

Analytics > All :)

Thanks for including it!

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 9, 2017

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
The Steelers owned the Chiefs their last 2 meetings. They had no answer for Le'Veon either time, and didn't get any better at stopping the run. AB is not a good matchup for Peters, and even when Landry Jones was throwing to him in 2015, Peters didn't have a good day.

That said, I suspect the Steelers lovely play may get worse before it gets better, and they're probably gonna get mudstomped

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Giants are shaping up to be a big test of my "the 08 Lions were a bad team that had even worse luck" theory. I maintain that 0-16 is only possible with a lot of (bad) luck and boy are they bringing it in that regard.

If they do win a game this year it's going to be an extremely funny one to watch.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Browns probably have no realistic shot against the Texans. Even with all their injuries, Watson is explosive enough to score more then the Browns can. They have the most awful red zone offense I can recall and skill position players that aren't exactly likely to break plays.

If Mariota is out two more games they at least have a puncher's chance against the Titans.

The 49ers probably lose out until they host the Cardinals or the following week against the Giants. Those are going to be two awful, awful loving games.

The Giants probably win a game or two somewhere, but with their injuries and offensive line, I don't see how you could expect them to do anything ever.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kalli posted:

The Browns probably have no realistic shot against the Texans. Even with all their injuries, Watson is explosive enough to score more then the Browns can. They have the most awful red zone offense I can recall and skill position players that aren't exactly likely to break plays.

If Mariota is out two more games they at least have a puncher's chance against the Titans.

The 49ers probably lose out until they host the Cardinals or the following week against the Giants. Those are going to be two awful, awful loving games.

The Giants probably win a game or two somewhere, but with their injuries and offensive line, I don't see how you could expect them to do anything ever.

The real tell will be if we get to about Thanksgiving with any teams still winless. I think the Browns only managed to win a game in Week 15 last year but you could look at their schedule and see their December was pretty easy. This time around I'd argue that all 3 contenders have their best shots at a win in October and November.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If Browns are still winless by the end of the Chargers game, they're going the distance

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The thing with the 49ers is that they have played a lot of close games that ended up going the wrong way at the last minute. Other than being destroyed by the Panthers, they have lost every game by three or fewer points, including three away games with two overtime defeats. Obviously you don't have a good team on your hands if you lose to the 2017 Colts, but as things stand I think they have a somewhat achievable shot at winning in more than a few games.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

King Hong Kong posted:

The thing with the 49ers is that they have played a lot of close games that ended up going the wrong way at the last minute. Other than being destroyed by the Panthers, they have lost every game by three or fewer points, including three away games with two overtime defeats. Obviously you don't have a good team on your hands if you lose to the 2017 Colts, but as things stand I think they have a somewhat achievable shot at winning in more than a few games.

Yeah, it's surprisingly loving difficult to lose 16 games. There's a reason 0-16 has happened exactly as many times as 16-0.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
giants will beat the 49ers, 49ers and browns will beat the bears, all 4 teams will finish 1-15

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

mastershakeman posted:

giants will beat the 49ers, 49ers and browns will beat the bears, all 4 teams will finish 1-15

Browns will somehow not get the first pick because of some hilarious tiebreak scenario that involves them scoring a meaningless touchdown in week 17.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lote posted:

Browns will somehow not get the first pick because of some hilarious tiebreak scenario that involves them scoring a meaningless touchdown in week 17.

as if they wouldn't gently caress up the pick anyway

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/PCaporali/status/917472698212798464

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did you know? The last time the Browns scored more than 30 points in a game was all the way back in Week 5 of 2015, in an overtime WIN (???) against the Ravens (!!!)

JOSH MCCOWN threw for 457 yards that day.

You have to go back another whole year to find the next 30+ point game that ended in regulation, shockingly a WIN vs. the Steelers ( :psyduck: ). Brian Hoyer completed almost 50% of his passes but the magic legs of BEN TATE sealed the win.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Toaster Beef posted:

Yeah, it's surprisingly loving difficult to lose 16 games. There's a reason 0-16 has happened exactly as many times as 16-0.

Exactly. It takes a lot more than just being bad. Look at just how much poo poo luck it took for the 08 lions. The funny part is that I've seen worse teams that picked up at least one or two wins. I think, for example, that the 2008 Lions would beat the poo poo out of the 2016 Browns. Or 2017 Browns for that matter.

E: I mean, even the horrific 1990 Patriots managed to squeak out a narrow win against the Colts. That lovely team didn't even score 200 points in an entire season of football. (For reference, the 08 Lions scored 268)

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 13, 2017

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Fenrir posted:

Exactly. It takes a lot more than just being bad. Look at just how much poo poo luck it took for the 08 lions. The funny part is that I've seen worse teams that picked up at least one or two wins. I think, for example, that the 2008 Lions would beat the poo poo out of the 2016 Browns. Or 2017 Browns for that matter.

E: I mean, even the horrific 1990 Patriots managed to squeak out a narrow win against the Colts. That lovely team didn't even score 200 points in an entire season of football. (For reference, the 08 Lions scored 268)

Didn't that simulator we use have the 2016 Browns obliterating the 2008 Lions?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Do the Bucs just hilariously lose every game and that's why we don't compare them?

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lote posted:

Do the Bucs just hilariously lose every game and that's why we don't compare them?

What do you mean?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Super Fan posted:

What do you mean?

He's talking about the 1976 0-14 Bucs

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Alaois posted:

He's talking about the 1976 0-14 Bucs

76' Bucs might've been worse, but the 76' Bucs were also an expansion team.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Browns are going all the way this year

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chris James 2 posted:

Browns are going all the way this year

I'm rooting for the niners.

Are 49ers and Giants the only mutually exclusive possibility for the season at this point, because I want as many winners as possible.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I'm rooting for the niners.

Are 49ers and Giants the only mutually exclusive possibility for the season at this point, because I want as many winners as possible.

Browns don't play the 49ers or the Giants, Giants play 49ers but could tie

Comedy option is Browns 0-16, 49ers and Giants both 0-15-1

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm beginning to think maybe Hue Jackson is Not Good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chris James 2 posted:

Browns don't play the 49ers or the Giants, Giants play 49ers but could tie

Comedy option is Browns 0-16, 49ers and Giants both 0-15-1

I forgot about the possibility of a tie. I don't care what else happens, I want the 9ers and Giants to finish the season 0-15-1. Or even for them to win a different game and each finish 1-14-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Skwirl posted:

I forgot about the possibility of a tie. I don't care what else happens, I want the 9ers and Giants to finish the season 0-15-1. Or even for them to win a different game and each finish 1-14-1

Would it have a chance to be the first ever 0-0 final score?

Because I'm looking at those offenses and yeesh

• Locked thread