Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The recipe I will be using for my chili entry is not my recipe, but my father's. Dan Weaver's Texas Hot Chili. This recipe was published in the Lansing State Journal in the late 70's, I think. Could have been early 80's. This chili has won chili cookoffs. It's the kind of chili that gets better the longer you let it simmer. Overnight in the fridge and heat it up the next day it's even better.

I'm pretty sure Dad never went to Texas. He came up with this recipe after eating chili at Grandma's house and needed something to clean the palate. The quantities of ingredients in the recipe made enough chili to take to work and feed the other store employees. My dad cut meat for The Country Store in Lansing, and when the store moved to Okemos and became the Country Markett, he cut meat there until he retired. Here's a photo of the recipe.

And here's the obligatory shot of the ingredients artistically crowded together in an effort to hide how cluttered my kitchen already is as I prepare to make chili.

Instead of kidney beans I'm using black turtle beans because I like them better than kidney beans. Also, the recipe calls for corn meal. I've swapped that out for quinoa because quinoa provides some macro-nutrients to the concoction, unlike corn meal, which just adds starch. But otherwise, haven't changed a thing about this recipe.

Except that when my dad says put six tablespoons of chili powder in with the meat, he's talking about the stuff out of a jar from the super market. I would never do that to you, so here's some lovely dried, ripened Serrano chilies and cumin seed toasting for my chili powder base. I know Serrano is pretty toasty for a chili but it's the chili that makes Mexican food taste Mexican, and I like the flavor. Because Serranos can pack a lot of heat, you don't need very many.

Once the chilies and cumin made my kitchen smell amazing, I turned off the heat and started my meat browning with the onion and garlic.

The venison comes from a deer that was harvested about 100 yards from my house last fall during the firearm deer season. I also started cooking the beans in a pressure cooker. Dry black turtle beans take about 26 minutes using this method.

Let's get those chilies and cumin ground up. I use an electric coffee grinder for making spice blends.

If you thought it smelled good before ... time to add the rest of the spices. Paprika, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and black peppercorns.

Grind it up and dump it into the pot with some salt.

Don't forget the bay leaf.

The pressure cooker is up to pressure, the meat needs to finish browning, so now I have some time to take a break and find out who the hell is blowing up my phone on a Sunday afternoon. Once the meat is browned add some liquid. Dad's recipe calls for water, but I changed that ingredient for broth ever since I started making my own. Sorry, forgot to put the quart jar of broth in the ingredients picture.

A quart of Christmas ham bone broth added to the pot, all that's left to do is wait for the pressure to come down in the pressure cooker and add the beans.

Make sure the beans are well-drained before adding them to the pot. The slow cooker I'm using to make my chili used to belong to my Grandmother. This is a pretty neat cooker. The hot plate the pot rests on can double as a griddle, and the lid is made out of Pyrex and can be used as a casserole dish. Grandma used it to keep gravy warm.

If you ever find one of these at a garage sale or flea market snap it up.

It's been about two hours and the house smells amazing. Time to add the grain to thicken the chili up, because right now it's basically ground venison and beans swimming in a pot of spicy ham broth.

The "grainy" photo shows the 2/3 cup of quinoa I dumped in. As mentioned before, I switched quinoa for corn meal and it's become a permanent change.

Once the quinoa is done it's time to eat some chili! I like to add different toppings to my chili. Today I crumbled some queso fresco and chopped scallion on top.

So there you have it, Dan Weaver's Texas Hot Chili. Except the chili powder is homemade instead of sat on the shelf supermarket chili powder, I switched turtle beans for the kidney beans, broth instead of water, and quinoa for the corn meal. Exactly the way my dad made it. Sort of.

And just like my Dad used to say: I didn't forget the tomatoes, there are none in this chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That looks fuckin delicious. I've never had chili with venison before, but I can't imagine it being anything but great. You took some really good shots too.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Good entry but you never resolved the plot point about the mysterious person blowing up your phone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hamburger?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Good entry but you never resolved the plot point about the mysterious person blowing up your phone.

Ah, it was my point person wanting my signature totals for a petition drive I volunteered for.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That looks pretty drat good.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Jose posted:

hamburger?

ground venison, in this case.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I'm absolutely going to make this. I'll report back if I remember, it looks delicious. Fall is here and I'm gonna try and make as many of these chilis as I can.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Very respectable entry in the "ground beef and beans" category, although the use of ground venison really kicks it up. I bet that's fantastic.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Kenning posted:

Very respectable entry in the "ground beef and beans" category, although the use of ground venison really kicks it up. I bet that's fantastic.

I prefer it to beef. My Dad got his hands on some antelope once, that was an interesting pot of chili. I've also used pressed, crumbled tofu instead of the meat for vegetarian friends.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Making up a pot of this right now, I don't have any deer though :smith: I'll report back on how it tastes and if I managed to gently caress up your dad's simple recipe somehow.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Diabeesting posted:

Making up a pot of this right now, I don't have any deer though :smith: I'll report back on how it tastes and if I managed to gently caress up your dad's simple recipe somehow.

Good luck :patriot: it works with ground beef too.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I hope that this chili gave you some fond memories of your dad. It looks delicious, and venison is a wonderful choice.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I forgot to report back. This was the tastiest chili that I've personally made. And holy poo poo I made a lot of it.
I wish I had been able to ratchet up the heat, but I was feeding a group that considers Mild salsa like instant death. I fully support anyone and everyone making this chili, I know I will be again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Diabeesting posted:

I forgot to report back. This was the tastiest chili that I've personally made. And holy poo poo I made a lot of it.
I wish I had been able to ratchet up the heat, but I was feeding a group that considers Mild salsa like instant death. I fully support anyone and everyone making this chili, I know I will be again.

Cheers, happy to read you enjoyed it. :cheers:

fr0id posted:

I hope that this chili gave you some fond memories of your dad. It looks delicious, and venison is a wonderful choice.

It does. :unsmith: I make it often because it's my favorite chili recipe.

• Locked thread