Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99FVJ3vPbn4
Starting tonight at 9/8, it is a new show by Matt Nix. The producers have already stated that this is an alternate universe to the movie stuff, so while some of the things from those have happened they won't be going into specifics.

The show will follow the Strucker family on the run after they learn that their two children are mutants.

Cast:

Stephen Moyer as Reed Strucker
Amy Acker as Caitlin Strucker
Sean Teale as Marcos Diaz / Eclipse
Jamie Chung as Clarice Fong / Blink
Coby Bell as Jace Turner
Emma Dumont as Lorna Dane / Polaris
Blair Redford as John Proudstar / Thunderbird
Natalie Alyn Lind as Lauren Strucker
Percy Hynes White as Andy Strucker
Garret Dillahunt as Roderick Campbell
Jermaine Rivers as Shatter

Early reviews have been good, so I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And of course my antenna decided to crap out and I need to buy a new one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, my antenna started working again. Also mega-lols at that ringtone.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The ringtone was the best.

I'm weirded out by the Struckers being nominal good guys.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Stan!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, Stan Lee.

Kind of glad that Sean Teale landed on his feet after Incorporated got canceled.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Hey, my antenna started working again. Also mega-lols at that ringtone.

Oh the memories!

It was a nice opener and I'm expecting some good action going forward. Though the mother didn't outwardly show it(much), I'm wondering how she'll handle being around a ton of other mutants. I also wonder how far down the mutant train the show will go. Will the weirdness limit stop at Blink's giant green eyes or will they go full body horror mutants?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I recorded this, hoping it's better than Inhumans.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The guy who plays Eclipse is the spitting image of Oscar Isaac.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That was a decent pilot. The worst parts were definitely the parts with the teenage kids though.

Postal Parcel posted:

Oh the memories!

It was a nice opener and I'm expecting some good action going forward. Though the mother didn't outwardly show it(much), I'm wondering how she'll handle being around a ton of other mutants. I also wonder how far down the mutant train the show will go. Will the weirdness limit stop at Blink's giant green eyes or will they go full body horror mutants?

Let's hope. The X-Men and Brotherhood are gone, but the Morlocks are still here in the sewers!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I thought it was awful but it seems I'm in the minority based on reviews

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I rather enjoyed that! It was pacy without being too rushed, and it was super interesting seeing the initial world reveals. The rolling mini sentinels were pretty unsettling, and a nice little link to the Days of Future Past sentinels with their more limited adaptive abilities. I found all the performances to be clearly defined and distinct, and them being more and more up against it as they get picked off and studied could lead to some good drama. Looks like they might have things to say about prejudice too, based on the brief 'Mutie' conversation.

Looking forward to seeing the characters grow and learn, and it's lovely to see a show with such diverse casting. Fox finally using the X-Men setting appropriately project by project is wonderful, long may it continue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The main family has gotta go. They all are terrible. The show might become watchable then.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I didn't mind the daughter, and I'm willing to give Amy Acker more time because she didn't get much to do, however the son can gently caress right off.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watching it now, are the mutants all based off existing characters? I only recognize blink and Polaris. The one black skin guy with the scar looked familiar.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The tracker guy is Thunderbird, while the light guy is a new character for the show. So it is probably going to be a mix.

Also they've explicitly said in preshow interviews that Polaris is Magneto's daughter.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kingtheninja posted:

Watching it now, are the mutants all based off existing characters? I only recognize blink and Polaris. The one black skin guy with the scar looked familiar.

Blink, Polaris, Thunderbird. The kids are pretty much the Fenris Twins just way changed up.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Nice, just finished it. Seems pretty cool but I'm not sure about the son. I'll see what they do with the next couple episodes.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It was okay I thought. Glad it seems to be using powers other than "like X-Men but not as cool". Also I like that dog :3:

Made me laugh when the sign on Tex's bar very conspicuously lit up as X's Bar just as Stan Lee popped out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I watched it and wasn't wowed but didn't hate it either. It was the typical American pretty people casting plus nerdy kid. The plot is basically ripped from one of the X-Men movies, which makes sense I guess. I have more than enough shows to watch but I might give it one more episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wormil posted:

I watched it and wasn't wowed but didn't hate it either. It was the typical American pretty people casting plus nerdy kid. The plot is basically ripped from one of the X-Men movies, which makes sense I guess. I have more than enough shows to watch but I might give it one more episode.

I mean, yeah, don't watch it if it's not working for you -- it's not working for me either -- but the 22 episode model the networks employ tends to backend the interesting narrative. I can't think of a single 22 episode show that didn't start out network note-d to death for "accessibility" or whatever. It's in how the shows develop that makes them interesting, not in how they start.

So, if you're dead set on watching only one more episode, wait until the season moves into its third act. (First sweeps period next year, usually around episode 15-17).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Good use of Blink's power.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
What I love about Prosecutor Bill's schtick is that he thinks that he's got rights in this situation, haha

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Postal Parcel posted:

What I love about Prosecutor Bill's schtick is that he thinks that he's got rights in this situation, haha

As a United States Attorney he knows that it's perfectly fine to talk without a lawyer and make statements on the record.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Did Coby Bell just say Cyclops killed his daughter?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eclipse's glowing blood is pretty cool.

What was the significance of Polaris and the shower? I guess she was the only one in there with a collar. Also it seems pretty strange they would just keep the mutants with all the other prisoners. Not even in a separate wing of the prison or anything.

howe_sam posted:

Good use of Blink's power.

All the scenes at the base where her power was going nuts were pretty good.

howe_sam posted:

Did Coby Bell just say Cyclops killed his daughter?

He just said it was a blast of energy that killed his daughter during the July 15th incident. He doesn't know if it was the X-Men or Brotherhood that hit her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whatever she was coloring her hair with washed out. Her natural hair color is green.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I mean, yeah, don't watch it if it's not working for you -- it's not working for me either -- but the 22 episode model the networks employ tends to backend the interesting narrative. I can't think of a single 22 episode show that didn't start out network note-d to death for "accessibility" or whatever. It's in how the shows develop that makes them interesting, not in how they start.

So, if you're dead set on watching only one more episode, wait until the season moves into its third act. (First sweeps period next year, usually around episode 15-17).

It's 10 episodes.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Kind of looking forward to heroes next generation written by somebody whom doesn't suffer from bad adhd :p.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, not working for me. Good luck if you like this, I wouldn't get my hopes up for season two.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's currently around the fourth highest rated show on the network, I would say if it stays there the odds for a second season are extremely good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Saw first two episodes really enjoyed this. Just sad that it's not part of the MCU.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
First episode was pretty solid.

The good thing about X-men is there are so many of them, they can draw from a huge pool and put known ones in the show without touching what is a limited movie roster. Or even just do someone right, you know, like have a proper Rogue, one that doesn't suck.

Forge would fit pretty well in the show too, doing what he did in the comics, making weapons for the Government.

They very clearly modeled Lorna on MCU Wanda.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I like so far, but not love. Just feels like some real stupid thinking all round in some respects (Lorna especially. Talking poo poo to the queen bee with absolutely no way to protect herself or her baby? Real bright). The underground didn't even try to get poo poo together even though they knew the portal would reopen. Was mutie baby geek really the only one with offensive capabilities on hand? Blondie the only shielder in the house? No weapons anywhere? Jesus.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, they're certainly not gifted with brains. It's okay so far. I keep comparing it to Legion though, and it's never going to come off well in that fight for me.

Also the way baby mutant fires his powers just looks amazingly goofy

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"It happens when solar energy hits the MAGNETOsphere.."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That aurora effect between Eclipse and Polaris was neat.

They really need to course correct Amy Acker's character, she is just the worst right now.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

howe_sam posted:

That aurora effect between Eclipse and Polaris was neat.

They really need to course correct Amy Acker's character, she is just the worst right now.

Nah, her son is the worst.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

Nah, her son is the worst.

The son and the father are the worst. Though honestly, the family is pretty much the worst.
Is this supposed to be commentary on people not realizing their privilege or something because they keep thinking that they have rights and that the courts will support them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That was, uh, pretty rapey right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I do like that Coby Bell's char didn't immediately decide to work with the shady contractor / researcher and told him to gently caress off.

howe_sam posted:

:agreed:

Magneto Andy is right. Kill all the humans / rob all the banks!

howe_sam posted:

That was, uh, pretty rapey right?

It was very rapey. Telepaths are the worst. It was a cool looking effect though. I hope it's not permanent and now I'm wondering what the slippery slope is that has Thunderbird all worried about.

• Locked thread