Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was very rapey. Telepaths are the worst. It was a cool looking effect though. I hope it's not permanent and now I'm wondering what the slippery slope is that has Thunderbird all worried about.

I'd imagine that it'll wear off or fall apart in a way that makes Blink aware, completely gutting any trust she has. That or it gets worse and infects other memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s nice to see the Cromartie Terminator on a Fox show again, even if it’s in a bit role.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Elena Satine, who plays Dreamer, looks so much like Siryn to me I honestly keep expecting her to bust out a sonic scream and an Irish accent.

Still enjoying this a lot, but it is weird that Sage and Shatter keep appearing but have so far done absolutely nothing. I wonder if they kept having scenes cut?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I haven't seen much of this, didn't enjoy first ep so just watching in background as I do other stuff, and man, mannnn, that Native American character has a terrible actor

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Defintely feel like we're building up to a Magneto/Xavier style split between the brother and sister. He's very clearly in camp Magneto and about ready to go full mutant supremacy on us.

Dad's storyline feels superfluous and unnecessary other than keeping up interacting with Coby Bell(who's clearly not a great actor since he's basically his Burn Notice character, but is still fun and enjoyable to watch).

Amy Acker feels a bit wasted but I do feel like a bit of this is the scripting and partially that she isn't great either, and I liked her as Root.

Some of the writing is a little too 'slap you in the face with our analogy' type stuff; like the Underground Railroad line, but other times it's alright.

Lorna is good, I like Thunderbird, the Dreamer thing was cool, and Eclipse is ok. The sister is reminding me too much of Hayden Panatie....the cheerleader from Heroes, crossed with Kim Bauer.

There's a weird mix of dystopic future mixed with we need present day elements, so Lorna gets a power collar and thrown into prison where she has no friends except that all it would possibly take is one person to help her get her collar off and she could potentially break everyone out, so why isn't she in a special prison already? Sentinel Services is still basically a less well equipped Swat team with some spider robots?

The more I think about this show the less good there actually is in it, but it's very inoffensive like Burn Notice in the later seasons...however it's also spinning it's wheels already much like a later season episode of Burn Notice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Postal Parcel posted:

The son and the father are the worst. Though honestly, the family is pretty much the worst.
Is this supposed to be commentary on people not realizing their privilege or something because they keep thinking that they have rights and that the courts will support them.

I really like that reading, because yea, this world, mutants are hosed. That little girl that was just bluring because the idiots were making GBS threads on her was committing a crime shows that there's no way mutants can win.

They're not trying to make the Sentinel Services guy sympathetic are they?

Lorna's hair seems to switch colour from scene to scene, but I think it was just the lightning.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Her hair should be a little brighter, I think, so you can tell for sure that it's green.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Her hair should be a little brighter, I think, so you can tell for sure that it's green.

I think the subtle green aspect of it, along with her makeup and fashion style, is to show that it's her personal choice; meaning that she could pass for a 'normal' human but chooses not to. A little more emphasis on the idea that being a mutant is being 'alternative'.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I watched the pilot today and this would have been impressive in like 2008, but it feels really outdated. I find superhero shows really hit or miss, and Legion was incredible television, but this feels like the same X-Men narrative that's been done over and over. I'm gonna drop it, but I do like that it's ten episodes, since Superhero shows work so much better with shorter episode runs. Shows like Agent Carter and Legion did more with a short run than Arrow or Agents of Shield or Gotham did in 22. I even dropped Supergirl in season 1 because, well 20 episodes, and that was a show I liked, I just didn't have time for 20 episodes. Exception being the Marvel Netflix shows because they have the production values to support a 15 episode season.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

I think the subtle green aspect of it, along with her makeup and fashion style, is to show that it's her personal choice; meaning that she could pass for a 'normal' human but chooses not to. A little more emphasis on the idea that being a mutant is being 'alternative'.

But the black dye washed out in the shower. The dark green is her natural color, it's not her choice.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

They're not trying to make the Sentinel Services guy sympathetic are they?

I don't think 'sympathetic' so much as believable. He's not supposed to be a moustache twirling megalomaniac -- just some regular dude who thinks he's fighting bad guys.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I would be too ashamed to bring this up if this were a different show, but am I the only turbonerd who noticed that Amy Acker's brother was the guy who played Frank Bertinelli on Arrow? Which makes him also sorta her dad since she did the voice Huntress on Justice League?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes you gotta learn when to separate the artist from the art.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Exception being the Marvel Netflix shows because they have the production values to support a 15 episode season.

Hahahahahahahahaahahaha

Oh wait, you weren't joking? :suicide:

radlum
May 13, 2013
I think he meant the budget, because they certainly don't have the plot.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Yeah, even if they don't have the pacing right, the Netflix Marvel shows don't tend to have those awakard filler episodes where they don't use many special effects and the plot doesn't move forward at all. The episodes all look expensive enough, but that doesn't mean anything if the writing isn't there (like, Iron Fist looked nice, but was awful for example).

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I disagree that they "look" expensive. None of these shows are probably budget busters but DD and JJ were supposed to be pretty minimal works of television. I think Cage looks cheap in some aspects but is also leaning into the blaxploitation origin of the character so it kind of works. Iron Fist and Defenders just looks cheap and lovely.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

resistance tips: do not gaslight your only teleporter

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Centering this show around a bunch of privileged white people learning racism is bad was a real mistake.

Also, I remain convinced that the son is the loving worst.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I do like that sentinel services are actually competent. And prosecutor dad was hardcore. "Take the screw in my leg." I'm sure he will be walking around fine in 2 episodes though :v:

ekeog posted:

resistance tips: do not gaslight your only teleporter

I thought it was going to backfire horribly on them. But there is still time for that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was kind of expecting them to draw out the whole Polaris and Reed imprisoned thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

howe_sam posted:

Centering this show around a bunch of privileged white people learning racism is bad was a real mistake.

Also, I remain convinced that the son is the loving worst.

The Struckers are actually the sidekicks, from what I've seen.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

muscles like this! posted:

I was kind of expecting them to draw out the whole Polaris and Reed imprisoned thing.

Same here. Polaris being the most powerful mutant on the show, it'll be interesting to see how they write around her powers.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Polaris is bipolar and not on her meds, according to a bunch of interviews.

EDIT: Here's a short article about it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 26, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Polaris is bipolar and not on her meds, according to a bunch of interviews.

Oh boy lovely writing by someone who's never even researched mental illness ahoy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm calling the twins Bubbles and Wobbles.

I'd give Wobbles a better name, but I hate him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So Dreamer there is just one continuous string of :stonk: isn't she? Making Sentinel Services man have to relive the death of his daughter was mean.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Not sure why Coby Bell thought he could scare them. Seems like once mutants are arrested they stay in prison until they die or are disappeared.

Blink handled that a lot better than I thought she would. I guess the memories are permanent but Sonia can remove them too.

howe_sam posted:

So Dreamer there is just one continuous string of :stonk: isn't she? Making Sentinel Services man have to relive the death of his daughter was mean.

That poo poo was :nattyburn: but totally deserved. I do like that they are showing how hosed up mind control powers can be.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm calling the twins Bubbles and Wobbles.

I'd give Wobbles a better name, but I hate him.

I like these names.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The gently caress, there's a thread for this show?? I've been way off my SA forums game as of late. :sweatdrop:

The show's got some stumbles and cringeworthy moments, but I've really been enjoying the ongoing adventures of these crapsack mofos. I'm consistently impressed with the consistent production quality and all the twists and turns of the story.

I thought the fake memory thing was a really dumb plot at first 'cuz like...really? Is this really the direction we want to take Blink in? But they managed not to drag it out too much and actually turned it into something really, well, interestingly horrific in this episode.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the show has really started to hit its stride, the last two episodes have been pretty good.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You can tell they hit the budget cap now, we're starting to see Blink teleport people off screen and now with 'power inhibitor man' running around we're going to see more times when these characters can't use their powers.

I mean it's not Heroes level bad yet but let's hope that when we get to an epic confrontation they've kept enough budget to actually have it be epic.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The "we've got to remove the bullet!" trope is pretty bad but hoo boy did they take it to another level. Let me just make a huge incision and stick my fist in! I'm helping.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I wasn't paying super close attention during that scene, but did she really fix his nicked artery by sewing up the incision she made his in abdomen?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

You can tell they hit the budget cap now, we're starting to see Blink teleport people off screen and now with 'power inhibitor man' running around we're going to see more times when these characters can't use their powers.

I mean it's not Heroes level bad yet but let's hope that when we get to an epic confrontation they've kept enough budget to actually have it be epic.

Yeah there was that and also the scene where Eclipse blows up a drone and by "blows up" I mean it happens completely off screen and you just get some generic fire effects.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Eclipse/Polaris one didn't bother me because, like, they could've very easily just not had that scene at all -- the two of them could have just finished their lovey-dovey car conversation without any interference and then we could've just moved onto something else without losing anything plot-wise or character-wise -- but y'know what, the showrunners deliberately chose to have a display of superpowers just to remind us that, yes, this is a show about people with superpowers.

That was the right call. If writers see any opportunity to depict superpowers in a show like this, they should absolutely try to capitalize on it, even if it means cutting some corners production-wise. ('Cuz the alternative is a show like Inhumans where they take absolutely every opportunity to omit displays of superpowers if they can possibly get away with it, and then sometimes even when they can't.)

I do agree that not showing Blink's portal here really stuck out, though, because we've already seen those portals in all their glory so many times by now and the whole "walking in from bright purple lights in another room" effect was a bit jarring in comparison.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One thing that really stands out for me about Blink's portals is that they're two sided.

Normally TV/movie/game makers cop out and only have the portals on a surface, or just don't show the back side at all.

Stargate, for example, I think only ever touched on the rear side of the portals once in 10 seasons and it was so fleeting I can't even remember what they said about it.

But it was a really cool effect that time she opened a portal on a road for the carload of mutants being chased by those upper class suburban bounty hunters, the car went through one side and then she stepped through the other and never had to expose herself to being shot.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I appreciated that they showed a pretty novel combination of powers, and I hope they continue to combine powers in interesting ways like that.

Also, why isn’t the title of this thread The Gifted: X Gonna Gift it to Ya?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm not gonna feel sorry for that bald prick. Should've sent him home in a body bag.

I liked last week when they were all talking about dropping bodies. Some good Arrow nostalgia there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I bet its going to be revealed the Red Energy was some weapon the government used against the X-men and Brotherhood, so the entire thing has been a lie to cover up their massive fuckup. It's cliched enough for this kind to show.

I didn't see anything in any promotional materials, but has there been mention of having major mutants show up, even briefly? I know they said that yes Polaris is Magneto's daughter, but maybe we could see Callisto, Glob Herman or Adam-X the X-treme at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm a bit behind. Why did they take Polaris' collar off?

• Locked thread