Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

For those who don’t watch with CC on: the cuckoos are referred to as the “Frost Triplets”. Emma is going to play into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
That was both cool and pretty scary. One telepath is bad enough; three is nigh unstoppable.

And yeah, evil doctor dude is not playing around. Turner coulda been written better, though.

Only thing that bothers me is that I feel like these characters should've been smart enough not to fall for Esme's manipulation the second time. Like, someone is telling you to do something risky twice in a row, and you know what she can do. You should be able to see through that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can see Lorna not really needing much convincing to go on this mission. John as well, but Lorna in particular was probably looking for any excuse to get out there and start some poo poo. Eclipse and the Strucker parents (for some reason) were the only ones who had misgivings about this sort of fight.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Healing isn't resurrecting. They went to the trouble of showing Sonya's eyes being open and unresponsive, which is pretty much TV shorthand for "totally dead".

They also showed her power's going off as she died, so it could be that she is inhabiting someones body, just waiting for hers to be healed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rocksicles posted:

Way hotter than Magnemo

That's a matter of opinion, although they are both extremely lovely.

ApeHawk posted:

That was both cool and pretty scary. One telepath is bad enough; three is nigh unstoppable.

And yeah, evil doctor dude is not playing around. Turner coulda been written better, though.

Only thing that bothers me is that I feel like these characters should've been smart enough not to fall for Esme's manipulation the second time. Like, someone is telling you to do something risky twice in a row, and you know what she can do. You should be able to see through that.

On the other hand: psychic.

Fenris13 posted:

They also showed her power's going off as she died, so it could be that she is inhabiting someones body, just waiting for hers to be healed.

Maybe she's actually sentient smoke inhabiting a willing/comatose body to begin with. We'll see I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well if one thing is true in the X-Men universe, it's that dead is dead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Turner is an rear end, totally okay to do horrible stuff but Evil Doctor deserves to die horribly. But Mom will probably say they can't, but when you can kill Hitler, you kill Hitler.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Cuckoos are amazing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The previews ended up making this episode seem more exciting than it was, but man yeah I love the Cuckoos in this.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Stepford Cuckoos are the best thing to happen to this show.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Oasx posted:

The Stepford Cuckoos are the best thing to happen to this show.

Agreed. If this season ends with the death of the Strucker family and the next season is all about the cuckoos I would not be unhappy at this point.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Early on it was important to have good and experienced actors like Stephen Moyer and Amy Acker around to keep the show afloat, but they don't really fit in as well if the show is going 100% superhero.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I'm really eager to see what the payoff might be with Bubbles and Wobbles. They've certainly teased us as to whether the kid(s) will go Hellfire Club, X-Men or somewhere in between, and I feel like the recent scene with Andy and one of the Cuckoos will be significant (especially with their later rescue), but Lauren has definitely shown a hint of a darker side.

Polaris is also a wildcard potentially, but I would trust them to do this in a way that isn't disrespectful to her bipolar disorder, which got a nice moment in the latest episode.

I love all the mutants on this show (who've actually done things, anyway, poor Shatter) but the Cuckoos are just a cut above. The actress is doing a fantastic job, along with all the efforts to have her appear three times in each scene. My only concern is regarding how difficult or expensive doing that would be, because Sophie and Esma are specifically the dead Cuckoos from the comics. Of course, two are unaccounted for potentially...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Metalshark posted:

I'm really eager to see what the payoff might be with Bubbles and Wobbles. They've certainly teased us as to whether the kid(s) will go Hellfire Club, X-Men or somewhere in between, and I feel like the recent scene with Andy and one of the Cuckoos will be significant (especially with their later rescue), but Lauren has definitely shown a hint of a darker side.

Polaris is also a wildcard potentially, but I would trust them to do this in a way that isn't disrespectful to her bipolar disorder, which got a nice moment in the latest episode.

I love all the mutants on this show (who've actually done things, anyway, poor Shatter) but the Cuckoos are just a cut above. The actress is doing a fantastic job, along with all the efforts to have her appear three times in each scene. My only concern is regarding how difficult or expensive doing that would be, because Sophie and Esma are specifically the dead Cuckoos from the comics. Of course, two are unaccounted for potentially...

Why are we not calling her Bipolaris?

edit: scratch that, i still prefer MagnEmo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So is that Hellfire guy supposed to be someone?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mage_Boy posted:

The Cuckoos are amazing.

:same:

e: the power combining gauntlet was pretty funny. "We can combine their powers if we share their blood!" :drac:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 3, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:same:

e: the power combining gauntlet was pretty funny. "We can combine their powers if we share their blood!" :drac:

It is pretty funny and gross, but it's also apparently happening to Polaris with her kid.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I was pretty underwhelmed by the other HQ attack scene; I mean, they dragged literally every main character there and then all these mutants just...run through hallways dodging dust. It was definitely a case of the show saving up its budget, hopefully for the finale coming up.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

muscles like this! posted:

He was just credited as William on IMDb so I don't think he's anyone specific.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
He's strong enough to turn a lump of coal into a (cut) diamond, apparently.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The density altering thing made me think Harry Leland maybe.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

He's strong enough to turn a lump of coal into a (cut) diamond, apparently.

Maybe he'll squash three cuckoos into one diamond cuckoo... It's X-Men after all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kinda hope we see old school Hellfire guards with their creepy flesh coloured masks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess I'm used to Marvel being extremely coy about referencing movie stuff in the shows, but I was kind of surprised that they straight up went for Frost as a surname instead of hiding it for a later reveal, or making them a different thing altogether. Same with the Magneto allusions, I didn't expect we'd get any X-men a-listers in the show but it'd be cool if we did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

I guess I'm used to Marvel being extremely coy about referencing movie stuff in the shows, but I was kind of surprised that they straight up went for Frost as a surname instead of hiding it for a later reveal, or making them a different thing altogether. Same with the Magneto allusions, I didn't expect we'd get any X-men a-listers in the show but it'd be cool if we did.

Yea, its kind of the opposite of Runaways right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Fox properties are run differently. They aren't worried about continuity with the existing XMen universe with The Gifted or Legion and don't really have any explicit or implicit restrictions on references.

Runaways is part of the MCU. That may not matter in any significant way in respect to crossovers, but it does put some stuff out of bounds.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Yuss! http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-gifted-renewed-season-2-fox-1202235489/ Renewed for Season 2, excellent.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So, if three of the hounds put those gauntlets on, would they be considered Cerberuses? Cerberi?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When the Fox X-Men TV deal was announced it was two shows, Hellfire and Legion. Hellfire had scripting/production issues and was eventually announced to be replaced by The Gifted.

Hellfire was to be about a federal agent who investigates the club and gets involved with a mutant woman who is part of it, never confirmed but implied to be Emma Frost or at least a take on her. I guess Fox really wanted to do that Hellfire stuff anyway.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

When the Fox X-Men TV deal was announced it was two shows, Hellfire and Legion. Hellfire had scripting/production issues and was eventually announced to be replaced by The Gifted.

Hellfire was to be about a federal agent who investigates the club and gets involved with a mutant woman who is part of it, never confirmed but implied to be Emma Frost or at least a take on her. I guess Fox really wanted to do that Hellfire stuff anyway.

Her milkshake bring all the boys to the yard.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ApeHawk posted:

So, if three of the hounds put those gauntlets on, would they be considered Cerberuses? Cerberi?

It would suck to be the one who didn't have any free hands, y'know? Where would you shoot your powers from if you normally shot them from your hands?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think you’d just be happy Dr. Burt Chance didn’t decide it needed to work like a mutant centipede.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It would suck to be the one who didn't have any free hands, y'know? Where would you shoot your powers from if you normally shot them from your hands?

Cyclops cameo in season finale.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha like evangelicals and the NRA wouldn't be all for killing mutants. Human rights are for humans :911:

Wobbles is right, but he's still really annoying. Polaris did nothing wrong :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That felt a little bit too safe for a finale, I was hoping for more of a universe expansion with it. Like revealing a Hellfire Club leader or something.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah I kept expecting a last minute "POP" that would kind of elevate things but it never really showed. Still enjoyed the first season but that felt just a little lackluster for a finale.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That first hour contained...man, some of the weakest writing of this entire show. They'd set up a lot of pretty decent drama throughout the course of this season, so I don't know why they're suddenly shoving in a bunch of last-minute fake stakes so inorganically. "You unknowingly worked with the Brotherhood, so that means you don't belong here!" ??? like excuse you, didn't your boy Flashlight literally murder people for drug dealers?

I think this show generally does a good job at making its conflicts seem genuinely nuanced or gray or whatever, even during this finale, but I worry a little about it getting accustomed to doing the thing where shows try sooooo haaaard to make you feel conflicted about one situation or another but it's like, nope, totally not conflicted, super glad Polaris blew up that plane, no misgivings whatsoever, thanks for asking! Like I see the valid arguments against doing so, but still. Totally in favor, losing zero sleeps.

That outfit she was wearing at the end there was super embarrassing, though. Is that Hellfire Club standard? Is she the new Black Queen now, that's why it looks like it does? :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's pretty much Emma's Bendis costume but with pants.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I really didn't like the attempt to humanize Campbell. I mean we saw him flat out execute someone in cold blood just a few episodes ago. It seems like this show really doesn't want any clear cut heroes or any villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really didn't like the attempt to humanize Campbell. I mean we saw him flat out execute someone in cold blood just a few episodes ago. It seems like this show really doesn't want any clear cut heroes or any villains.

Just because his motivations are (kind of) explained doesn’t suddenly make him not a villain. Why he’s doing what he’s doing doesn’t excuse him doing it.

• Locked thread