Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For October I figured like everybody who cares about movies, BBV should have a celebration of horrifying films throughout history. And since many horror films are available on youtube for free, this will be the perfect time to do a proper simulwatch with whoever wants to watch. The first selection of the month will be:

Vampyr (1932)

Directed by: Carl Theodor Dreyer
Written by: Carl Theodor Dreyer and Christen Jul
Based on a book by: Sheridan Le Fanu

"A drifter obsessed with the supernatural stumbles upon an inn where a severely ill adolescent girl is slowly becoming a vampire."

This film is a remarkably frightening silent classic, containing one of my all time favorite shots in film history. Partially lost, missing scenes were described in intertitle when Criterion reissued the film in 2012. The youtube copy isn't as beautiful as their Blu Ray of course, but the atmosphere and sullen mood comes across strongly in Dreyer's foggy, empty settings.

When the simulwatch takes place is up to the posters of BBV. I think Sunday evening may be best, but I can watch Friday and Saturday afternoon/early evening as well. We will be using andchill.tv whenever we watch, and people can absolutely suggest more films to watch throughout the month.

----------
From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers
March 7th, 2017: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
March 14th, 2017: Perfect Blue
March 21st, 2017: Spring Breakers
March 28th, 2017: Cemetery of Splendor
April 20th, 2017: Parallax View
April 27th, 2017: Right Now, Wrong Then
May 02th 2017: Stalker
May 12th 2017: White God
May 19th, 2017: Red Beard
June 1st, 2017: The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant
June 18th, 2017: Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer/The Matrix Summer Special
July 31st, 2017: Summer Under the Stars (Month Long Special)
September 6th, 2017: Westworld
September 13th, 2017: Strangers on a Train
Septermb 20th, 2017: Kaili Blues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Has a Simulcast been scheduled yet? October's nearly over..

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i wish this subforum was more active

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Improbable Lobster posted:

i wish this subforum was more active

me too. more effort is required from. all of us.

• Locked thread