Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is the photographer the main antagonist or one of a few psychopaths residing in STEM?

He and the preacher seem to be people who actually went into STEM on purpose to gain some sort of power over the "new world".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0WYA0tVWkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fXUadAgfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It's going to be revealed that the worst monster is your daughter, because nothing's scarier than a little kid with power

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm excited to learn more about the antagonists, though I'm trying to go in as blind as I possibly can so I haven't watched much of the promo material. Only approximately a week left!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'll be honest. I absolutely adored half of Evil Within and was annoyed and bored by the other half. But that's still much better than just a bland mediocrity that a lot of horror games are. With horrors it's all about the highs, and you just kinda gloss over the lows.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'll wait and see. The Evil Within 1 was at its best when you were avoiding or setting up traps for enemies and at its worse when you were forced into straight up combat.

I actually put the game down For a long time and then finally forced myself to finish it. It overstayed its welcome for me.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
TEW was my poo poo. Beat it on every difficulty including the one that killls you in one hit.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I hope they didn't put Joseph on the proverbial bus-being-chased-by-a-giant-spider.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So is lighting poo poo on fire still gonna be a big thing? Because none of these jerks seem like they'd have Ruviks particular trauma and Preacher dude seems rather fond of the stuff.

Could he be part of faith that was real big in Ruviks hometown?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Presumably fire is still gonna be important, only it's Sebastian's fear this time instead of Ruvik's, considering it's how he thought his daughter had been killed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Except that Sebastian's whole Thing in the first game was that he was so hard-boiled that none of the STEM's passive bullshit could affect him, so that would be a pretty lame excuse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Would it be? Last time none of it had anything to do with him, so all he cared about was getting out, but now he has very personal stakes. The trailers have shown him being generally afraid of stuff so far.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It also seems to be really playing on the self doubt and misery he inflicted on himself, rather than the more general stuff Ruvik used. It's a much more personal, specific set of baggage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just got through the part last night in chapter 4 or 5 where the game goes "hope you found and saved a few grenades because KILL THESE TWENTY DUDES". I had hoarded a ton of ammo and whatnot so it wasn't a big deal but it was kind of hilarious from a design standpoint. I also like how the chainsaw boss is bugged and just won't come out most of the time unless you shoot him from above.

How do you know when to burn bodies? Most of the time they don't get back up anyway?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The best time to burn a body is when another baddie is standing on them so they go up too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

I just got through the part last night in chapter 4 or 5 where the game goes "hope you found and saved a few grenades because KILL THESE TWENTY DUDES". I had hoarded a ton of ammo and whatnot so it wasn't a big deal but it was kind of hilarious from a design standpoint. I also like how the chainsaw boss is bugged and just won't come out most of the time unless you shoot him from above.

How do you know when to burn bodies? Most of the time they don't get back up anyway?

He doesn't come out at all unless you shoot him, that's how you trigger the fight. You also can chuck a grenade over the wall if you have one on you or destroy the wooden barrier with an axe.

As for burning bodies, enemies don't get back up after you kill them. The game implies otherwise, but it's just not true. The time to burn bodies is after knocking them down with your shotgun or shooting them in the legs, to save on having to use more ammo to kill them. Like Caidin says, setting stuff on fire also sets anything touching it on fire, so you can make huge chains of flaming enemies that run around screaming and setting their friends ablaze.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

He doesn't come out at all unless you shoot him, that's how you trigger the fight. You also can chuck a grenade over the wall if you have one on you or destroy the wooden barrier with an axe.

That's super weird, because I swear the first time, I found the chain where Sebastian goes "Huh, if only I had something like A CHAINSAW" (lol) then went back in the barn area and there was a cutscene of him breaking out and attacking me. Maybe it only triggers if you examine the chain first? Or maybe it's bugged on PC. Video games!

quote:

As for burning bodies, enemies don't get back up after you kill them. The game implies otherwise, but it's just not true. The time to burn bodies is after knocking them down with your shotgun or shooting them in the legs, to save on having to use more ammo to kill them. Like Caidin says, setting stuff on fire also sets anything touching it on fire, so you can make huge chains of flaming enemies that run around screaming and setting their friends ablaze.

VIDEO GAMES!!!!! It's amazing how poorly everything about the game is documented! Or how you get parts for a crossbow WAY before you even know there's gonna be a crossbow! Or how loading screen tips spoil the plot!

I had one enemy get back up after I thought I killed him, but I guess there's two levels of dead; "on the ground" and "stomped into oblivion" like Silent Hill 2. Good to know though.

So far I've only upgraded Pistol Ammo Capacity clip/carry capacity once each, Pistol Accuracy/Critical, Syringe Healing, and Max Health. It seems pointless to upgrade Critical on the Shotgun or Carry Capacity on the weapon I can craft ammo for on the fly, am I correct?

I love this stupid game! Can't wait to finish so I can watch your LP of it. I was laughing nonstop during the escape from the hospital, just because I was like "well I guess that's not the setting for the game after all!"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I rather enjoyed the original game and I kept hearing about how the DLC was the best part of the game but to be honest, the fact that it's completely stealth based with clunky rear end mechanics is annoying as hell and never bothered to finish. I'll probably end up watching a video. TEW 2 looks pretty promising, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm sorry but are you talking smack about a chainsaw duel with Safe Head.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

That's super weird, because I swear the first time, I found the chain where Sebastian goes "Huh, if only I had something like A CHAINSAW" (lol) then went back in the barn area and there was a cutscene of him breaking out and attacking me. Maybe it only triggers if you examine the chain first? Or maybe it's bugged on PC. Video games!

I've always appreciated that Sebastian uses the chainsaw to literally saw a chain. He is that simple-minded. :downs:

precision posted:

So far I've only upgraded Pistol Ammo Capacity clip/carry capacity once each, Pistol Accuracy/Critical, Syringe Healing, and Max Health. It seems pointless to upgrade Critical on the Shotgun or Carry Capacity on the weapon I can craft ammo for on the fly, am I correct?

Upgrading carrying capacity for the bolts isn't so helpful, yeah. That said, it depends on how quick on the draw you are, because with low capacity you may run out and not have time to craft more.

Also, upgrading the critical on the shotgun is actually a really great idea because the chance to explode heads is applied per pellet, so every individual pellet is given its own chance for a crit. Considering there's like 15 pellets fired when you shoot, well...

edit: Although, there's really two ways you can "spec" the shotgun. You can focus on damage and criticals and make it a "gently caress this dude in particular" button, or you can increase the capacity and such and make it a long-range sweeper for knocking enemies down so you can run over and burn them en masse.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 6, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Flash/Stun bolts for the crossbow are the best, since you can OHKO sneakstab anyone you stun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
nthing that, flash bolts loving rule. Upgrading the duration on them allows you to shoot one into the middle of a group, then run around like santa claus delivering the gift of knives to the jaw. Also, if you use an electric bolt on an enemy, they'll kneel down which allows you to use a match and kill them instantly! Doing so is super effective for groups because you only need one match to kill all of 'em.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Caidin posted:

So is lighting poo poo on fire still gonna be a big thing? Because none of these jerks seem like they'd have Ruviks particular trauma and Preacher dude seems rather fond of the stuff.

Could he be part of faith that was real big in Ruviks hometown?

this. i remeber one of my turn offs with one was having to throw a match at enemies i killed to make them dead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game went up for pre-load today! Unfortunately I didn't buy it on Steam so I'm gonna probably be waiting till release day or shortly before I can install it. But if you pre-ordered it, now's the time to get it set up!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. i remeber one of my turn offs with one was having to throw a match at enemies i killed to make them dead.

I have bad news, you never needed to do that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

What!?! I thought that was the crux of the game, you had to decide which idiots to fight and dispose of and which idiots to just run from? Mind you once I upgraded my pistol to max crit chance I basically just ran through killing every thing with head shots, but still.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

KildarX posted:

What!?! I thought that was the crux of the game, you had to decide which idiots to fight and dispose of and which idiots to just run from? Mind you once I upgraded my pistol to max crit chance I basically just ran through killing every thing with head shots, but still.

Enemies will eventually go down to straight damage, but headshots and burning them are usually the quickest way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KildarX posted:

When enemies die, they die. Matches are just a quick way to kill knocked-down enemies + any schmucks who are in close proximity at the moment.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Decided to actually attempt to beat the first game, in chapter 5 or so.

Feels like you get enough matches that you can burn almost everything anyway. Does the game have an adaptive difficulty thing Ala re4? Maybe I keep finding matches because I keep using them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It does, yeah. Quoting myself from the first page:

CJacobs posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about missing stuff, the game employs RE4's level of dynamic item drops. The thing I think is so brilliant about it though is that the game waits until you are critically low on something before it starts dropping it en masse. If you're nearly out of pistol bullets, you're most likely gonna find like 5 or 6 in the next ammo pickup. If you have a bunch, it won't drop any at all and you'll get mostly green gel or other supplies instead. Basically the way it works is that the game defaults to giving you gel, and when you're low on supplies you'll get those instead.

edit: And that's why it's important to utilize everything in your inventory at least a little bit. If you hoard your shotgun ammo, the game will still drop it in small amounts from time to time regardless, but you won't be able to pick it up! And so on.

And most of the reason the game gives you enough matches is to compensate for the lack of aim assist and Seb's wobbly crosshair/spread. On mouse/keyboard, going for headshots is pretty easy provided the enemies aren't running right at you, but on controllers it's pretty hard for a number of reasons. The game dumps matches on you in large numbers no matter what your capacity because you're supposed to be shooting them in the legs so they fall over and then burning them. You don't have to, but it definitely makes aiming less of a hassle.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 7, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

CJacobs posted:

It does, yeah. Quoting myself from the first page:

And most of the reason the game gives you enough matches is to compensate for the lack of aim assist and Seb's wobbly crosshair/spread. On mouse/keyboard, going for headshots is pretty easy provided the enemies aren't running right at you, but on controllers it's pretty hard for a number of reasons. The game dumps matches on you in large numbers no matter what your capacity because you're supposed to be shooting them in the legs so they fall over and then burning them. You don't have to, but it definitely makes aiming less of a hassle.

I suspected this was the case anyway. Nice to see confirmation.

I really like the atmosphere and environment/creature design they've done with TEW, it's just too bad that the letterbox (which has been patched since then), lots of creatures with one-hit kills, and probably another complaint I can't think of right now (maybe how the game tricks you in thinking you can be stealthy for a few chapters, and it never returns to form like that beginning section)

I'm defintely going to try and wait for TEW2 to hit $30 or lower, but I definitely do want to play through it.

Is there any hint of DLC for TEW2? They don't seem to be offering a season pass like they did with TEW1.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oxxidation posted:

well poo poo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I don't think anyone is gonna mind so I'll try to post my responses to TEW 1 while we wait for the new one to come out.

Yesterday, I finished chapter 5 and... A good chunk into chapter 6?

Chapter 5, that random shrieking walker really kind of felt out of place. And the boss fight arena isn't really that fun. I can see this as a prime example of the issues that people had with TEW1, lots of dull grey corridors and areas you're walking through and a not fun boss fight,with instant kill grab.

Chapter 6. I like these outdoor set pieces. Really makes me think of resident evil 4 again. Got up the tower and now in a cemetery area. That's where I'll pick it up tonight. Let's see where it goes from here!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's up TEW1 buddy

I just restarted last night cause I was only in chapter 5 and I know I had missed hospital keys and stuff

Hot tip: turn Letterbox off because all it does is show you less of the screen.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

precision posted:

What's up TEW1 buddy

I just restarted last night cause I was only in chapter 5 and I know I had missed hospital keys and stuff

Hot tip: turn Letterbox off because all it does is show you less of the screen.

Yeah I'm running on a ps4 pro. Turned it off and game still runs pretty smooth. Let's see if we can finish the game before Friday. It's so weird how little chat there seems to be for this game. Yet it must have done well enough if we're actually getting a sequel.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I find the complete silence in advance reviews... concerning.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Memnaelar posted:

Bethesda doesn't send out advance copies for any of their games any more.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Memnaelar posted:

As far as I know, nobody got code for the game until today, if they did at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I'm running on a ps4 pro. Turned it off and game still runs pretty smooth. Let's see if we can finish the game before Friday. It's so weird how little chat there seems to be for this game. Yet it must have done well enough if we're actually getting a sequel.

Funnily enough the performance will be exactly the same no matter what you have the letterbox set to. It's like the RE4 letterbox, it's just a couple of black bars that hover on the UI layer in front of the camera. It doesn't occlude anything that's inside the black bars. It's literally just an overlay. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ineffiable posted:

I think the best advice for anyone going in now is "pretend you're playing The Last of Us". Like once I figured that out, chapter 3 became one of my favorite survival horror chapters ever. There's so many ways to kill dudes, guns are kind of the worst way

Also throw bottles in a zombies face and you can stealth kill it from the front!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I saw CJacobs burn a man who was stuck in a bear trap and was blown away, but it's obvious once you know a bit more about how the game works.

• Locked thread