Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

This past Saturday marked the 20th anniversary of the release of Fallout 1, the spiritual successor to Wasteland. I was probably 12 or 13 when I read the PC Gamer cover story on fallout and I can still remember how curious and excited I was for its release. Where most cRPGs were dominated by fantasy stories with wizards and kobold dicks, fallout was an entirely new concept in a totally different world that presented a future that was closer to reality than anything I'd ever seen before.

I've beaten all of the originals a boatload of times, but its been years since I did full runs. I'm going to play:

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
-------------
Fallout 3

Maybe New Vegas and 4 if I'm not burned out by then. I'm mostly going to do 3 to highlight the differences between the developers. Tactics gets a bad rap as a fallout game but its actually very well done and I always enjoy playing it. I'm gonna aim for full runs (I could beat 1 in 20 minutes if I wanted to), mostly to see if after 20 years I can discover something I've never seen before.

EDIT im not plaYing that loving brotherhood of steel game you cant make me

I've already gotten in to fallout 1, heres my dude:

--------
So far:

After clearing the rat cave outside of Vault 13, I stole a rope from the Captain of the Guard in Shady Sands and made my way through Vault 15. After finding their water purification system buried under tons of rubble (and getting a sick leather jacket to go with my new 10mm SMG), I returned to shady sands and assisted the guards with the radscorpion invasion. Using some dynamite I found in Vault 15, I sealed the entrance to the cave where the scorpions breed.

I met a traveler in Shady Sands named Ian who offered to accompany me for a fee, but I'm short on caps so I guess I'll come back later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

I really enjoy how short and to the point Fallout 1 is. Just a nice 10ish hour adventure. Fallout 2 kinda drags on too long imo. Never managed to get into the tactics one, maybe I'll give it another shot now.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I met a traveler in Shady Sands named Ian who offered to accompany me for a fee, but I'm short on caps so I guess I'll come back later.

My first playthrough i hired this guy, we got into a barfight in town, and he misses an enemy and hits the bartender instead. The whole town turned hostile and i had to kill all the guards to escape and i never went back. Ian died in the barfight but the money i spent on him was worth it for the fun memory

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Ian always gets in the way, so I have a patch that makes me yell at him to move

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Gaffle posted:

My first playthrough i hired this guy, we got into a barfight in town, and he misses an enemy and hits the bartender instead. The whole town turned hostile and i had to kill all the guards to escape and i never went back. Ian died in the barfight but the money i spent on him was worth it for the fun memory

lol classic ian

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I should really go through the old Fallout games again, too. I never really got into Fallout: Tactics either, but I liked the first two.

I also liked how your stats seem to make more of a difference in dialogue, etc. than it does in the Bethesda-era FO games. Like how if you're a burly oaf with zero intelligence, you are completely unable to talk to people (aside from with grunts and guttural noises), but you still have an intimidating presence. (And when people try to get you to do things, they're just like "GO OVER THERE. PICK THAT UP. DO [X]....urgh, Jesus loving Christ, why am I even bothering with this guy..." :D )

EDIT: Actually, what if you have terrible intelligence, but good charisma/persuasion? I don't think I've ever tried that combination. Like, will people be barely able to understand you, but they like and help you anyway, as they see you as being like, 'that lovable rascal'?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 6, 2017

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Glad that Based Todd knows fans don't want any of this crap and added minecraft town building and randomized loot affixes in Fallout 4

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Finished with my business in Shady Sands, I got directions from Ian and headed for Junktown.

I went to the General Store and inadvertantly spoiled an assassination attempt on the leader of Junktown. Ive volunteered to catch
a local gangster named Gizmo on tape admitting to the crime.

I also got sweet leather armor and a new hunting rifle.

DOGMEAT :3

I secured Gizmo's confession, helped Killian Darkwater 'run him out of town' (murder him), time to check in on Shady Sands

Post your predictions for where Dogmeat is going to bite the dust :(

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

I should really go through the old Fallout games again, too. I never really got into Fallout: Tactics either, but I liked the first two.

I also liked how your stats seem to make more of a difference in dialogue, etc. than it does in the Bethesda-era FO games. Like how if you're a burly oaf with zero intelligence, you are completely unable to talk to people (aside from with grunts and guttural noises), but you still have an intimidating presence. (And when people try to get you to do things, they're just like "GO OVER THERE. PICK THAT UP. DO [X]....urgh, Jesus loving Christ, why am I even bothering with this guy..." :D )

EDIT: Actually, what if you have terrible intelligence, but good charisma/persuasion? I don't think I've ever tried that combination. Like, will people be barely able to understand you, but they like and help you anyway, as they see you as being like, 'that lovable rascal'?

If your INT is low people will either make fun of you or get frustrated trying to talk to you

If you take time to really learn how to play Tactics its a great game and you can handle combat in a ton of different ways.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

A view of the overworld for people who havent played

A style of random encounter: If you travel too far without water (or food) in your inventory, you'll get hit with dehydration damage

My return to Shady Sands starts with a cry for help: The Khans, a local raider band, have kidnapped Tandi from the village.

This could get rough. I recruited Ian on my way out for some backup

The leader of the Khans challenged me to a bare-knuckle brawl for Tandi's life.

He beat the poo poo out of me, but I'm not leaving without Tandy.

The hunting rifle made quick work of them, and I got some sick metal armor

Aradesh is greatful for his daughter's safe return

Tandy tells me a folk tale about something called a Death Claw from 'down south'

Time to head to The Hub.

NOTES
- I couldnt find the seed to start the quest for the gang in Junktown so I just skipped it.
- I think my science wasn't high enough to teach Shady Sands about crop rotation, or that quest is somewhere else
and I just remembered it wrong

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I always wondered if setting the game in a barren wasteland was intentional since they only had to render like 3-4 bushes a screen and call it a day

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty
Fallout 2's New Reno section was quite the life changing experience.

Also, fallout 2238 was loving great.

Nasty Old Randy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 6, 2017

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

yeah im gonna get to all of that later

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I always wondered if setting the game in a barren wasteland was intentional since they only had to render like 3-4 bushes a screen and call it a day

The Baldur's Gate maps were way more intricate, I dont think it was a resource issue

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I've arrived at massive trading outpost locals have dubbed 'The Hub'

One of the stranger aspects of the original Fallout is shopping. Some merchants display their entire inventory,
others require you 'open' seperate tables or bookshelves around them to initiate a dialogue and see different items

This is the first and one of the only places in the early series where they prevent you from obtaining a quest
due to experience. In a series where you can go to the end of the game 5 minutes in if you choose, it always seemed like
a strange design decision to me to suddenly limit what you could do

Butch, the owner of Far-Go Traders, has a job for me.

I'm investigating the missing caravans when I hear about the 'Death Claw' for a second time.
The lady who runs the gun shop is convinced that it exists, and points me in the direction of the only living
witness to the monster.

Some religious weirdos werent very inviting

Finally, a clue: The Water Merchants of The Hub believe the citizens of a place called 'The Necropolis' have a
vault-based water purification system. They MUST have a chip!

There's a ton of stuff to do in and around The Hub. We'll be here for a bit

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Nasty Old Randy posted:

Fallout 2's New Reno section was quite the life changing experience.

Also, fallout 2238 was loving great.

yeah im gonna get off to all of that later

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

My prediction: dogmeat dies in the deathclaw's cave

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Dead Money...........was good.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

what do u think of Chris avellone posting fallout stuff lately? new fallout coming soon?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

chris avellone doesnt work for bethesda.......

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

ya but ppl are wondering if he's maybe gonna join a team somewhere and help make a new one

either that or he's reminiscing about 20 years of post apocalyptic role playing fun

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

after what bethesda did to obsidian i seriously doubt he would ever associate with them again, even for a third party project

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I thought Obsidian was making the next Fallout set in New Orleans or something, I might have made it up

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Jackie D posted:

I thought Obsidian was making the next Fallout set in New Orleans or something, I might have made it up

yes you did

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I need to ccalm down im getting myself too excited about the prospect of another good 3d fallout :(

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

It was a real rumor because of a trademark but I guess nothing ever came of it, sorry

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i could see bethsoft giving the engine and license over to another team while they work on 900 dollar miniature games, and F2P cash shop stuff layered with pipboy graphics

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

i could see bethsoft giving the engine and license over to another team while they work on 900 dollar miniature games, and F2P cash shop stuff layered with pipboy graphics

didnt they do one of those for fallout 4

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

is this what it feels like to be owned

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

is this what it feels like to be owned

Last I heard Bethesda was considering using the team from id that helped them make fallout 4 more like a shooter to turn the ip into a Wolfe stein style shooter

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

after what bethesda did to obsidian i seriously doubt he would ever associate with them again, even for a third party project

avallone doesnt work for obsidian anymore and hes done oa bunch of interviews where hes super prissy about them. im sure he doesn't care anymore

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

didnt they do one of those for fallout 4

both, in fact. the miniature game is completely loving insane, and the f2p thing is fallout shelter. i was getting at the idea that i think they're more interested in milking the property than developing new games, and also trying to pretend to be valve with their new mod platform thing.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

both, in fact. the miniature game is completely loving insane, and the f2p thing is fallout shelter. i was getting at the idea that i think they're more interested in milking the property than developing new games, and also trying to pretend to be valve with their new mod platform thing.

the next elder scrolls game is just gonna be a bunch of skyrim mods they crowdsource from the mod platform

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

the next elder scrolls game is just gonna be a bunch of skyrim mods they crowdsource from the mod platform

i wish that they would just become like valve, and focus on the platform and engine while letting better designers use the tools

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[quote="“sector_corrector”" post="“477128398”"]
i wish that they would just become like valve, and focus on the platform and engine while letting better designers use the tools
[/quote]
Better developers wouldn't use their piece of poo poo engine.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Better developers wouldn't use their piece of poo poo engine.

i thought FO4's version of creation was decent, with all of the tweaks valve made

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

i thought FO4's version of creation was decent, with all of the tweaks valve made

can you elaborate on this

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

can you elaborate on this

ID came in and redid a lot of the shooting parts. i think specifically enemy behavior. it made the gunplay feel a lot better compared to fallout 4, although playing new vegas recently it still is worse than that even with a better engine. the current creation engine in the hands of a good dev team would really be enjoyable, i think.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Does valve own Id now? I'm confused, you said something about what valve did for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Does valve own Id now? I'm confused, you said something about what valve did for them

oh, poo poo, i meant ID before. sorry. i'm a dummy.

• Locked thread