Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
wow! it's the 25th anniversary of thinkpad! what a coincidence that the "retro thinkpad" david hill, lenovo chief design officer, has been getting input about and teasing for two years is finally here in the form of the T25.

we were all waiting for our dream modern thinkpad, with the durability and usability of the T420/X220 and older models, and the technology and power efficiency of the new ones. david hill did the surveys! we wanted 16:10 screens, the good 7-row keyboards, and a good computer like the ones they used to make

well we got none of that

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-25-Anniversary-Edition-Laptop-Review.253454.0.html

it's a special model of the T470. a single model. no configure-to-order option.

obligatory loving geforce 940mx in late 2017.

63% srgb coverage, 16:9, 225 nit brighness touchscreenon a non-convertible laptop.

even the keyboard just looks old. they had to have a special case top and logic board specifically for the T25 to accommodate it. it's backlit and has the 1.8mm key travel of the X1 Carbon's low-profile keyboard. there's no thinklight.

and it's loving $1,899.00 with no discounts.

the T470 with the same specs but no touchscreen and integrated graphics instead of the godawful 940mx (which is inferior to a desktop gtx 750 ti from 2014) is $1,454.25.

it's 2400 euros in europe and limited to 625 units there

lenovo appears to somehow have the impression that the old thinkpads have a cult following because they look clunky, and that that cult following would love to pay a premium for a laptop with "commemorative features" that are basically cosmetic, as a collector's item

i waited two years using a thinkpad T410 and now an X220 tablet for this

this is the only time a "gif" has successfully conveyed my feelings about anything:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooouuuuuuuuuu lenovoooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

at this point, with laptops and phones, i'm just resigned to the fact that technology in general peaked in 2012 or 2013 and will be on a continuous decline from now on

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
can't wait to mill my own barley again

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it was always going to be trash op

pram
Jun 10, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

lenovo appears to somehow have the impression that the old thinkpads have a cult following because they look clunky

also this is largely true. thinkpad users are idiots

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

lolnovo stinkpad

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
why did you think that anything with "retro" in the name would ever be anything more than a terrible low-effort cash-grab

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Literally: just buy whatever Chromebook Wirecutter suggests and put Windows 7 on it.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
you can't even fold the display back all the way like you're goddamn supposed to

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I'm going to make the same post I do every few months: the best Thinkpad to buy is one that has had its motherboard replaced with a brand new one from Shenzhen that has an i7 in it

https://www.facebook.com/lcdfans/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jimmy Carter posted:

I'm going to make the same post I do every few months: the best Thinkpad to buy is one that has had its motherboard replaced with a brand new one from Shenzhen that has an i7 in it

Other than acting from a sincere desire to heat your gonads into infertility (and regarding which: please carry on) why would you need an i7 on a laptop?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

why did you think that anything with "retro" in the name would ever be anything more than a terrible low-effort cash-grab

that was what people were calling it in lieu of an actual name

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jimmy Carter posted:

I would love an X62 or a 51nb modified X220 but apparently the actual execution of the motherboard is a bit janky. the only way they could fit ports was upside down, no sound in linux, no fan control, etc

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jimmy Carter posted:

you can't even fold the display back all the way like you're goddamn supposed to

This one even has a smaller bezel.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Other than acting from a sincere desire to heat your gonads into infertility (and regarding which: please carry on) why would you need an i7 on a laptop?

because you're a java developer hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Schadenboner posted:

I assume because the people who would spring for this are also intending on making them last another 10 years. Eventually it'll be an android like Dolores in Westworld, where they've just been upgrading all the different bits along the way.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
what was so good about the old thinkpads anyway?

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

meatpotato posted:

Indestructible + good keyboards

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
also the clitmice because non-mac trackpads are trash

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i figured this was going to be trash but goddrat not this bad

Jimmy Carter posted:

im the ipod

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quit being a moron and buy a macbook pro, op

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jimmy Carter posted:

I assume because the people who would spring for this are also intending on making them last another 10 years. Eventually it'll be an android like Dolores in Westworld, where they've just been upgrading all the different bits along the way.

i bought a configure-to-order T410 and made it last 6 years. it still worked perfectly when I upgraded to my current X220 tablet.

akadajet posted:

quit being a moron and buy a macbook pro, op

I can no longer use a laptop without a trackpoint.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

once you have a properly implemented trackpad like the macs have you won't miss the red dot. you'll also have access to the only good desktop OS that exists

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

atomicthumbs posted:

i bought a configure-to-order T410 and made it last 6 years. it still worked perfectly when I upgraded to my current X220 tablet.

i dunno when they went to poo poo but i bought a t430 about ~5 years ago and it was a piece of poo poo even a year into owning it. almost everything died on it and i had to frankenstein it. eventually there was video-card problem and i tried to replace it and still was dead, so i sold it for scrap on samart (apparently the guy later fixed it because some capacitor on those typically dies lol)

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I just bought a T470 and after 3 weeks of shipping from China to Australia, it was damaged in transit.

if you get angry on the phone they'll give you a free laptop carry case and higher capacity SSD on your replacement.

Good poo poo, gonna take another 3 weeks though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SpaceAceJase posted:

I just bought a T470 and after 3 weeks of shipping from China to Australia, it was damaged in transit.

if you get angry on the phone they'll give you a free laptop carry case and higher capacity SSD on your replacement.

Good poo poo, gonna take another 3 weeks though.

what the gently caress, australia is like right next to china

*checks map*

actually australia is as far from china as brasil is from the us

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Which one of these softgoods did they give you (lol if they didn't give you the rolling luggage)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

meatpotato posted:

i liked the old nipple mouse buttons because they were sorta curved for your comfort instead of angular. i think the nipple had better sensitivity than the dell one i have now.

i wasn't a fan of the keyboard when i had to replace the palm rest on mine because the retaining claw thing right by the arrow key cluster would pop out if you lifted the laptop by the right side

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the clit is the best laptop pointing device.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i like being able to replace everything in it with decent instructions, although that's basically every business class laptop. having to repad my x220 or otherwise just say gently caress it to replace the power jack kinda sucked though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Bloody posted:

the dell one sucks although i 've been meaning to throw linux on it and see if its just crappy defaults you can't change in their settings

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

meatpotato posted:

also easy to repair and swap components (once had a piece of poo poo acer that needed thermal paste but the screw was under the keyboard, so the only way to fix it was to totally destroy the loving thing. garbage). they're the standard for Linux, most everything works without hassle and if you're poor they're still usable after 10 years (and you can get them for sub $50)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

akadajet posted:

once you have a properly implemented trackpad like the macs have you won't miss the red dot. you'll also have access to the only good desktop OS that exists

Dirty-rear end lies.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bloody posted:

trackpad is superior because gestures

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

i use a t530 and it's very needs suiting

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

trackpad is superior because gestures

Who uses gestures when you can have keybinds.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

meatpotato posted:

their lack of popularity and associations with being business-oriented

nothing actually tangible, just nerd cred

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Xaris posted:

i dunno when they went to poo poo but i bought a t430 about ~5 years ago and it was a piece of poo poo even a year into owning it. almost everything died on it and i had to frankenstein it. eventually there was video-card problem and i tried to replace it and still was dead, so i sold it for scrap on samart (apparently the guy later fixed it because some capacitor on those typically dies lol)

they went to poo poo exactly when they switched the keyboard style (i.e. t430)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

thinkpads are the leftist computer, stymie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what the gently caress, australia is like right next to china

*checks map*

actually australia is as far from china as brasil is from the us

Worse still, I was passed around the whole supply chain to get an answer as to why my order was already 5 days late.
The DHL tracking number didn't work, lol

• Locked thread