Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Compared to netrunner though that 3rd core is way better value, you get a full play set of every card for every fraction without wasted extras and the neutrals you get two playstyles of so you can have two full decks built without having to split things up and make suboptimal decks because you are sharing things.

We have an actual Scene around here (as to my surprise the AEG players have mostly picked it up, plus new blood) so I'm guessing the 3x core would be the most ideal for me to get back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LeSquide posted:

Wait, aren't they the Imperial Smugglers, basically?

They are essentially the Emperor's Duty Free Shop, yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think I really like the rule for Strife on first read, although I'm curious how it applies to the clans who don't care so much about traditional notions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Two Scorpion shugenja schools but no bushi school was an odd decision.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EverettLO posted:

Bayushi Tangen and Bayushi Kwanchai are in suicidal disagreement.

Indeed. Someone has never tasted the Dark Sword of Bitter Lies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there a dice-rolling app for the RPG yet?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Is there a thread for the RPG or just this one?

Either way: I wrote about dogs.

That's a fun read. Once upon a time the Unicorn used wardogs in their army, and in Clan War they were one of the more obnoxious units to go against. (He said, having brought them to every battle.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah I think we'd all be okay with more mid-level shenanigans (which FFG seems to be down for, given the fact that the cards include stuff like 'a surviving Kitsu' or 'oh hey, a tengu') and less high-level shenigans with Dragons and the literal celestial bodies as deities. That said, I am super confident we're gonna see some of the Burning Sands metaplot, given the visions that led up to the meishodo conflict.

Like with Shinjo still being trapped under the city level, you think?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So is he running things through Kachiko, then?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

There's a fiction where he takes Kachiko aside and gently tells her to never ever mention again the possibility of him being Emperor, and he's consistently been telling the Scorpions to stop being so ambitious, we got things good right now, and maybe we have things too good and I will murder anyone who fucks this up by reaching higher.

E: he is hand-selected by the dying Emperor to be Daisetsu's regent. tho, likely at Imperial Advisor Kachiko's advice.

Ah, so it's more of a well-known secret that the Scorpion run things instead of a hilariously ill-advised coup prodded by an evil magic sword. I like it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

The Shinjo Outrider is better at everything if horse but that is the school’s entire gimmick. The Utaku Battle Maiden benefits from but does not require horse. The Ide, Moto and Iuchi don’t care about horse mechanically.

I was happy to see the Battle Maidens get a good school. In 4E, while I'm sure other schools had their flaws, when their school rang the 'two attacks a turn' bell they had to be mounted to get their two attacks and they were the only one in the clan that had that restriction. Easy to houserule, but obnoxious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It seems like every edition the Crab get one school devoted to explicitly Shadowlands stuff, which is frustrating as unless you've got that as a main element the class PC can feel like they're sitting on their hands a lot of the time. At the same time, being the best against Tainted stuff is the Crab's thing so I get why they have it. I just wish they weren't so single target sometimes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also thank you for the effort post, Mors. I always like even vague build guides.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dick Burglar posted:

Lion has a beastmaster school, I'm pretty sure.

They do. I know it's in 3E but I'm not sure if it's in 4E.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there an online dice roller app out there for the new edition yet?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I recently read an essay on games with historical Asian settings that boils down to “if there’s an English word that means the same thing, just use the English word.”

A thousand fan subbers just started yelling and throwing things in response.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The Lion book scheduled for early 2021 is the last FFG one

So they're doing clan books again?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SweetBro posted:

Thanks for everyone's input, I even looked into Double Cross as reference though the community zeitgeist seems to be less positive on that than L5R.

It is? A lot of folks around here have talked that game up and they're right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Whatever became of Shawn Carman?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HidaO-Win posted:

L5Rs story never really got better when the expanded outside Rokugan to the devastated Ivory Kingdoms, the meat of the game was Rokugan. Again perfectly serviceable stuff in the new setting, but it could just be Oriental Adventures 5E and not muddy the waters.

How was the Second City... book? Box set? I never read it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If folks are interested, Writ of the Wilds which covers the Shinomen Forest and related wilderness stuff dropped recently. It covers playing Naga, Nezumi and the Dragonfly Clan. One interesting bit about the Naga is in the RPG they used to have a thing where the women of the species could trade their big ol' snake tail for legs but now all Naga - or at least PCs - can cast an illusion that makes you just sort of ignore it because they see a person with a large dog or two people or something that takes up enough space for the brain to go 'sure, okay' which would make it easier to wander around Rokugan. They're also illustrated more reptilian, which is neat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Napoleon Nelson posted:

That's the pdf version? Glad to see it actually came out, hopefully that means the physical one is coming soon...

Yeah, it's the PDF, sorry. Saw it on Drive Thru. No idea about a hardcopy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

No Forest-Killers material? Sad.

They get a sidebar about what their deal is and it's ironic that the only thing they're actually wanted for is poaching on Imperial lands. The murder and theft nobody really cares about officially.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Terratina posted:

All I know is that folks be salty about the amount (or rather lack thereof) of material on the Dragon Clan.

That is odd. I'm not sure what the Dragon have to do with 'the wilds.' I'd figure them for being in the Shinsei book or similar.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tsilkani posted:

Also, the back ad copy specifically mentions 'This book also taps into the history of the esoteric Dragon Clan', so it's absolutely the wilderness+Dragon book, like all the others have been.

They do get a fun new school with the Agasha Ascetics, I believe it is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dick Burglar posted:

So what are all the new schools introduced in Writ of the Wilds?

Dragonfly courtier/shugenja school, courtier/monk school, Naga Seer, Nezumi Tattered Ear Explorer, Tengu Mask of Air Monk/Sage and Yobanjin Artisan/Bushi (pony-riding trappers).

There also seems like a fair bit on the Dragon Clan in the book. It's about twenty pages' worth. Is that less than other clans get?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Still mad that after it was all said and done, Naseru just wanders into the Shadowlands and dies because the fans picked wrong.

The L5R story team is to be given some credit because they did pretty well with some of the most counterintuitive choices the winners made, but sometimes not so much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Looks, sometimes having to have 14 different outcomes for every choice means that the Unicorn get to do everything (secretly assisted by the actual 1st place Nezumi but even the story team could only do so much). When dominant decks would win 8 out of every 10 tournaments, stupid things will happen.

What was annoying was the winning faction was usually just the deck du jour so the person winning would pick the faction they actually liked so the story team had to scramble. If Unicorn players actually won all those tournaments and not just Unicorn decks Rokugan would have looked very different.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

(Look the deck was really good that month).

Or: "What's With These Story Results?"

It is funny that as good as the Khol Wall was, few Unicorn players actually won with that deck which is why so few story results were Unicorn-centric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sega 32X posted:

Diamond pre-Khol Wall, especially Kotei 2004 thru Gencon 2004, was all over the place. Lion was initially the best but fell off quickly (due in no small part to their best player that a bunch of people emulated being a deck-stacking cheater whose decks took advantage of his cheating, so they sucked when you didn't cheat)

Is there more to this? I never heard about it.