Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Hello. I was thinking about setting up a simple retro gaming setup for my mother for christmas. It wouldn't have too many games on it - the arcade version of ms pac man and maybe a couple of the DICE pinball games for amiga. I was thinking about using a raspberry pi and a good quality usb arcade stick for this. The quality of the arcade stick is probably the most important part - my ma tends to gently caress up input devices while gaming. She screams and yanks the joystick to the side whenever a ghost or pinball gets near. She has broken a plug and play namco joystick and several old amiga keyboards from repeated use.

Can anyone recommend a good, sturdy arcade stick for this? I know it's only october but this could take a fair amount of research/setup/shipping so I think it's best to figure out the logistics as early as possible. If it turns out the best option is to make my own joystick of component parts I might do that instead. Goodbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I would say if you are worried about hardware abuse that much, focus on ease of swapping out the parts when they do break- get her a spare as part of the build. People always find a way to break things.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

I would say if you are worried about hardware abuse that much, focus on ease of swapping out the parts when they do break- get her a spare as part of the build. People always find a way to break things.

I'm considering this, but I don't really know too much about how the market for arcade stick parts works. Are all the parts pretty much interchangeable?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
every stick is usb and the good ones from like qanba/eightarc have all sanwa parts which you can just buy spares for if they break. they shouldnt really ever break though even if you really try to

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

yeah actually they will posted:

Hello. I was thinking about setting up a simple retro gaming setup for my mother for christmas. It wouldn't have too many games on it - the arcade version of ms pac man and maybe a couple of the DICE pinball games for amiga. I was thinking about using a raspberry pi and a good quality usb arcade stick for this. The quality of the arcade stick is probably the most important part - my ma tends to gently caress up input devices while gaming. She screams and yanks the joystick to the side whenever a ghost or pinball gets near. She has broken a plug and play namco joystick and several old amiga keyboards from repeated use.

Can anyone recommend a good, sturdy arcade stick for this? I know it's only october but this could take a fair amount of research/setup/shipping so I think it's best to figure out the logistics as early as possible. If it turns out the best option is to make my own joystick of component parts I might do that instead. Goodbye.

lmfao, But also epic.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sanwa and Seimitsu are the good Brands for the actual stick, to my knowledge. And the buttons probably.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Get a battop stick and only a copy of Tekken 3 so she can practice Korean Back Dash Cancelling all day.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

People swear by the following Brands for already built USB arcade sticks: HORI, Qanba, MadCatz Tournament Edition, and uhh I forgot. You could buy the 30 dollar Mayflash stick and then replace the stick and the buttons with Sanwa or Semiutsu or whatever I guess. P-Mack of this forum made an arcade stick out of a strong corrugated cardboard box and a PCB and Sanwa parts.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ive had a hori real arcade pro 3 that ive been playing tgm and other stuff on for like eight years and it rules. very very durable, havent had to replace a thing

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

mycophobia posted:

ive had a hori real arcade pro 3 that ive been playing tgm and other stuff on for like eight years and it rules. very very durable, havent had to replace a thing

I can vouch for this stick. I also bought the madcatz tournament edition for my brother, but its usb chipset didn't work with his computer, so I kept it and gave him the hori instead.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
my qanba obsidian hasn't failed me yet although i often worry about the on day that will come when my usb cable door breaks.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well, I would suggest the Qanba Obsidian then. When Yobgoblin plays fighting games he can only play for about 15 minutes because he hits all the buttons so hard and moves the stick so insanely that he hurts his hands and needs to put them on ice for 30 minutes, and I'm not making this up. Topic locked.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the TE2+ has issues with the USB connector getting unseated or something like that so don't get that

sanwa/seimitsu stuff are arcade quality parts so they are designed to be pounded on in Japanese arcades constantly

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Wormskull posted:

Well, I would suggest the Qanba Obsidian then. When Yobgoblin plays fighting games he can only play for about 15 minutes because he hits all the buttons so hard and moves the stick so insanely that he hurts his hands and needs to put them on ice for 30 minutes, and I'm not making this up. Topic locked.

Eh, I'm working on it and getting better haha

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

mycophobia posted:

how has it held up re: screaming; yanking?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Wormskull posted:

same but my dick + balls

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Yobgoblin posted:

Eh, I'm working on it and getting better haha

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol every time

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
haha yeah, that happens when i panic.

e: seeing it still makes me laugh i need to learn moves for gg

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 12, 2017

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
winter progects:

• refurb a old commuter bike
  • build a arcade stick

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I choked on my burger yelling "Oh my God" while also laughing.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Wormskull posted:

Me too.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

i keep thinking about it and laughing out loud to myself

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Part Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkU4MfZRWSM

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Lmao

No stimulants were used.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Omfg the start of the second round

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love when he manages to hit all 6 buttons at once somehow, including the SP button that does absolutely nothing and doesn't even need to be mapped.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I love when he manages to hit all 6 buttons at once somehow, including the SP button that does absolutely nothing and doesn't even need to be mapped.

its pretty obvious the second any form of pressure is applied the best action is to flail the joystick in circles while mashing every button at once

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

trying to jack off posted:

its pretty obvious the second any form of pressure is applied the best action is to flail the joystick in circles while mashing every button at once

Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

dUDE i WOKED UP MY ENYTORTE HOUSEHOLD FROM LAUHGIGN
aT THJE ORST 2 SECPMDS PF JTE ,LATJC

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im still thinking of that video lol. now im thinking of the duality of the quick precise movements of kongming as he just tears apart yobgoblin whos moveset looks like a griswald family chistmas

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
lmfao at yobgoblin playing whack-a-mole on the buttons

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Lets Rock, Baby

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

im still thinking of that video lol. now im thinking of the duality of the quick precise movements of kongming as he just tears apart yobgoblin whos moveset looks like a griswald family chistmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmfao at yobgoblin playing whack-a-mole on the buttons

HolePisser1982 posted:

Lets Rock, Baby

• Locked thread