Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
"Dear AIM user,

We see that you've used AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) in the past, so we wanted to let you know that AIM will be discontinued and will no longer work as of December 15, 2017.

Before December 15, you can continue to use the service. After December 15, you will no longer have access to AIM and your data will be deleted. If you use an @aim.com email address, your email account will not be affected and you will still be able to send and receive email as usual.

We've loved working on AIM for you. From setting the perfect away message to that familiar ring of an incoming chat, AIM will always have a special place in our hearts. As we move forward, all of us at AOL (now Oath) are excited to continue building the next generation of iconic brands and life-changing products for users around the world.

You can visit our FAQ to learn more. Thank you for being an AIM user.

Sincerely,
The AOL Instant Messenger team"

I refuse to join Facebook for messaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
RIP the I'm Lonely Come Talk To Me thread

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

BovineFury posted:

"Dear AIM user,

We see that you've used AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) in the past, so we wanted to let you know that AIM will be discontinued and will no longer work as of December 15, 2017.

Before December 15, you can continue to use the service. After December 15, you will no longer have access to AIM and your data will be deleted. If you use an @aim.com email address, your email account will not be affected and you will still be able to send and receive email as usual.

We've loved working on AIM for you. From setting the perfect away message to that familiar ring of an incoming chat, AIM will always have a special place in our hearts. As we move forward, all of us at AOL (now Oath) are excited to continue building the next generation of iconic brands and life-changing products for users around the world.

You can visit our FAQ to learn more. Thank you for being an AIM user.

Sincerely,
The AOL Instant Messenger team"

I refuse to join Facebook for messaging.

Good news discord exists

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Wasn't AIM originally just a front to disguise the reconstituted HYDRA?

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

fruit on the bottom posted:

Wasn't AIM originally just a front to disguise the reconstituted HYDRA?

HYDRA is actually Facebook.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Funny that this happened right around the time AOL decided that they are charging $5 a month just to use the AOL desktop software (yes even if you are using it with your cable internet). I predict absolutely nobody will be using anything AOL related after this.

A perfect time to mention what a monumental piece of poo poo AOL CEO Tim Armstrong is (but not for AOL-related reasons).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
r.i.p. my ancient-rear end AIM account. Finally stopped using it this year when they ended third-party support, and the one friend I still talked to on it switched to Discord.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mega64 posted:

r.i.p. my ancient-rear end AIM account. Finally stopped using it this year when they ended third-party support, and the one friend I still talked to on it switched to Discord.
they didn't end third-party support, they made some minor changes but trillian/instantbird/pidgin et all work. i'm still logged in over instantbird and my friend uses trillian (lol lifetime sub)

but yeah only about <4 out of 400 contacts are even on anymore, and only 2 are friends i talk to regularly. idk what we'll go to, we also have gchat but it kinda loving sucks and skype is just bloated lovely chat for family and it's awful. maybe we'll give discord a try

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
shutup nerds

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
How will this impact the AOL links in our SA profiles?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
whats hydra

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
how am I going to cyber Cali girls now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ein cooler Typ posted:

how am I going to cyber Cali girls now

irc.dal.net #cyber

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I never figured out how to get IRC to work

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

modok should have been a better ceo imo

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i'm still on aim, IMMA

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Well, hello there.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I wouldn't worry, the last time we shut down we just reformed with blue beekeepers suits and guns that shot different colored lasers. It's just one of those things in military industrial complex jobs.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I am not even sure how AOL has managed to survive this long while being completely irrelevant. Are just a bunch of old people still using it or something? I don't even know what AOL does anymore?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Xaris posted:

they didn't end third-party support, they made some minor changes but trillian/instantbird/pidgin et all work. i'm still logged in over instantbird and my friend uses trillian (lol lifetime sub)

but yeah only about <4 out of 400 contacts are even on anymore, and only 2 are friends i talk to regularly. idk what we'll go to, we also have gchat but it kinda loving sucks and skype is just bloated lovely chat for family and it's awful. maybe we'll give discord a try

Cool, time to go back to AIM then.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
ICQ still exists. Why would anyone need anything but ICQ and IRC. 50 year old greybeards have the best conversation anyway.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I am not even sure how AOL has managed to survive this long while being completely irrelevant. Are just a bunch of old people still using it or something? I don't even know what AOL does anymore?
aol itself is still used, yes mostly by old people who dont want to lose their email address (really all comes down to email address and being afraid of change)

aim has nothing to do with aol though, don't confuse the two.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My wife's best friend who's a 37 year old multi-millionaire still uses AOL

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Are all of our AOL Keywords safe, or will they be deleted, too?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i wonder how much they charged for aol keywords. to separate the pros from the amateurs.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

FaradayCage posted:

Well, hello there.

This game owned so hard and they hosed it all up :sigh:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Xaris posted:

Telegram? Slack and Discord are kinda bloated. ICQ's still around if you just want text chat.

I miss the days when you could get on multiple networks with the same client; now you're forced to use Slack and Discord and FB Messenger and Telegram all at the same time. Not like the good old days when Pidgin would log in to anything people chatted on.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
lol they merged AOL and yahoo together into "oath"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

it's fuckin dumb. Let me pay your $10 server fee yearly so everybody can still use a completely outdated instant messenger that's 20 years old that a surprising amount of people still use. Like drat.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

That Robot posted:

lol they merged AOL and yahoo together into "oath"

Cut off one limb, two more take its place. Hail Hydra!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

hey OP join the good guys at IRL Stark Industries

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I should probably see if any of my old AIM Friends are on.

Never really felt a great urge to reconnect and catch up with those losers, but it won't be an option at all soon, so, yeah.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I should probably see if any of my old AIM Friends are on.

Never really felt a great urge to reconnect and catch up with those losers, but it won't be an option at all soon, so, yeah.

I tried this a few weeks ago and there was like 7 people online out of 300.

5 of them were people I know in real life but it had a little cell phone icon next to their screen name so I assume they have some AIM app installed on their phone that they aren't even aware of.

The other 2 I have no recollection of who they are

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

how ever will the spurned high school girls cry about boys to their best guy (only a) friend

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I've... read things that you wouldn't believe... drunken confessions from 3am benders... internet arguments that ended real life friendships... all of those moments lost, like bits in the interweb tubes. Time to shut down

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I wish I had saved all my AIM logs from middle school & high school

Wait...nevermind, I don't want to see that poo poo

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Aw man, AIM was the first tool I used to create a socially successful avatar of myself on the internet.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I used to type in Chiller font in AIM because it expressed the darkness in my teenage soul

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

LGD posted:

Tony Stark is a super villain, so checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LGD posted:

If I remember the first movie right, Stark Industries was a super corrupt hosed up weapons manufacturer illegally selling arms to terrorists so yeah checks out.

• Locked thread