Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I heard such great things

Irritated Goat posted:

Trainwreck anime examples: Valvrave\Code Geass.

poo poo is either hilariously bad and\or a wreckage of humanity smashing into one another.

Considering the 1st episode, I'm better on the latter.

For those wondering, Valvrave is the former and a reason I now use that term.

I watched part of the 1st episode of Urahara and holy poo poo, that style. :3:

It does seem kind of slow so far but nothing I'd stop watching for.

and so will be posting after I watch each episode my thoughts. I tend binge shows so this won't take long (probably) any discussion of things outside of the episodes I have posted should be spoiler tagged as to not ruin my first impressions. I am not writing notes as I watch but will be posting right after I watch. Also my points might not be in order, as I may remember things not in order.

Episode 1.

Dyson sphere? Hehehehe. (in all fairness I had read the description yesterday before I even read the quoted post but still). That girl totally grabbed the big boobs of the other one. Is she going to die, or be super injured. I sure hope it's not dying that's going to totally be lame. Boy I sure hope the bad guys have clear motivation. Not only clear but their actions matching the motivations. Man those planes sure got outclassed. Oh he just happened to be their instead of being the chosen one. Come on stab him. Yes! Wait agreement with the robot earlier, totally not dead (also plot shield, totally not dead). Vampire! Your secret base should not be identifiable from the outside. So the military will just be taking this robot back right? I mean an untrained high schooler probably isn't as good as a trained pilot. (I of course know the answer to this) That guy totally got liberated didn't he.

Exciting time to watch the next episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Valvrave is a show I thoroughly enjoyed despite realizing how bad it was. I think the hype TM Revolution and Angela songs are what made me capable of enjoying it. My favorite part is when (episode 12 spoiler) the NEET girl gets the Valvrave with the club that hacks things she hits while the hype Angela song is playing in the background.

I'm also a sucker for fujoshi bait "male co-protagonists who become super close to one another" stuff despite being a straight male myself.

(Angela owns and is really good at the "hype anime techno poo poo" subgenre of pop music.)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trainwreck posting led a man to valvrave. See what you've done, guys?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Episode: 2

Guess they lost. Boy that guy sure does enjoy killing. (neglected to mention that previous episode but it was reinforced) So this robot thing was funded by that other nation right? Like how'd this small independent nation get such rad tech? Oh she's fine, that wasn't an option at all! Wait is she going to be fine and not suffocate to death? Oh okay. Thinking about it more she probably would totally not have had enough air. Wait what's going on in that scene, (I don't always pay super attention) and so I played it again. Oh yeah they're in a space station, in hindsight what a strange place for an exit (in the water). So uh white you sure guys that's going to get awfully dirty as well as stand out. So uh space Nazis? I'm leaning towards no but if you don't want me to think Nazis maybe don't use a blitz derivative.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 6, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Motto posted:

Trainwreck posting led a man to valvrave. See what you've done, guys?

No me looking through what Crunchyroll had led me to Valvrave. I mean seeing a post like the day after I found a series seemed like a sign that I had to watch it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Valvrave has some cool sequences in isolation and S1 is entertainingly goofy up to A Point, but overall it's contending for worst show I've ever completed.

Kind of a shame since the idea of a main mech that has crippling design deficiencies in spite of its power that get gradually worked around is pretty neat.

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 6, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Motto posted:

Valvrave has some decent action sequences in isolation and S1 is entertainingly goofy up to A Point, but overall it's contending for worst show I've ever completed.

I like Air Gear.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

good luck

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Episode: 2

Guess they lost. Boy that guy sure does enjoy killing. (neglected to mention that previous episode but it was reinforced) So this robot thing was funded by that other nation right? Like how'd this small independent nation get such rad tech? Oh she's fine, that wasn't an option at all! Wait is she going to be fine and not suffocate to death? Oh okay. Thinking about it more she probably would totally not have had enough air. Wait what's going on in that scene, (I don't always pay super attention) and so I played it again. Oh yeah they're in a space station, in hindsight what a strange place for an exit (in the water). So uh white you sure guys that's going to get awfully dirty as well as stand out. So uh space Nazis? I'm leaning towards no but if you don't want me to think Nazis maybe don't use a blitz derivative.

JIOR isn't exactly small; it's just less militarized than ARUS/Dorsia. JIOR basically represents all of Asia and some other random places like Australia, IIRC. I believe the Dyson spheres are just sorta extensions of the Earth countries; so JIOR isn't just that dyson sphere, but also consists of those Earth countries. I'm not really clear about whether the invasion in Episode 1 coincided with an invasion of the corresponding Earth countries. Valvrave gives the feel of a typical space mech thing, but it's actually more of a "extended Earth" thing where a bunch of fighting takes place around these Dyson spheres between the Earth and the Moon.

JIOR's technology is superior because it's basically space-future Japan and I guess Japanese people like the idea of viewing themselves as the tech-specced civilization or something. IIRC ARUS has the biggest economy/military (since it's space-future USA + other countries) and Dorsia is just good at fighting or something despite having a smaller military/economy than ARUS.

edit: Spoiler'd just in case, though this is more just random setting info that isn't connected to specific events of the series

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 6, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

JIOR isn't exactly small; it's just less militarized than ARUS/Dorsia. JIOR basically represents all of Asia and some other random places like Australia, IIRC. I believe the Dyson spheres are just sorta extensions of the Earth countries; so JIOR isn't just that dyson sphere, but also consists of those Earth countries. I'm not really clear about whether the invasion in Episode 1 coincided with an invasion of the corresponding Earth countries. Valvrave gives the feel of a typical space mech thing, but it's actually more of a "extended Earth" thing where a bunch of fighting takes place around these Dyson spheres between the Earth and the Moon.

JIOR's technology is superior because it's basically space-future Japan and I guess Japanese people like the idea of viewing themselves as the tech-specced civilization or something. IIRC ARUS has the biggest economy/military (since it's space-future USA + other countries) and Dorsia is just good at fighting or something despite having a smaller military/economy than ARUS.

Hey hey I'm sure it'll be made clearer at some point I'll get there! I'm going to qualify this as spoilerish. While not the same as x kills y it's still effects the later "ohhhhh so they're just space neo japan with their super rad tech okay" reaction I was bound to have later (well maybe not). It's also possible I just completely missed it while noticing the breast grab so whatever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Hey hey I'm sure it'll be made clearer at some point I'll get there! I'm going to qualify this as spoilerish. While not the same as x kills y it's still effects the later "ohhhhh so they're just space neo japan with their super rad tech okay" reaction I was bound to have later (well maybe not). It's also possible I just completely missed it while noticing the breast grab so whatever.

The reason I mentioned this stuff is because I don't think it's really made much clearer later in the series. I'll still spoiler it just in case, though.

edit: I just noticed that your quote of my post won't include the spoiler I added, just in case you want to spoiler the quote also.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 6, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Episode 3: Yep they explained the nations a bit. Shower bath scene seems late it is the third episode after all. Also America totally would not have those baths in their tents. Also heh military otaku again. Guys uhhh you really aren't very good at this keeping a prisoner jailed thing. Like really bad. Super duper bad. Elfie pie are you a precog? Ohh man does Naruto have a thing for the senator? (yeah no)

Ytlaya posted:

The reason I mentioned this stuff is because I don't think it's really made much clearer later in the series. I'll still spoiler it just in case, though.

edit: I just noticed that your quote of my post won't include the spoiler I added, just in case you want to spoiler the quote also.

Whatever it was explained sort of in the third episode. It's not like it really matters it was more a comment on what I'd consider a spoiler for this thread then I caring much.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 6, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Episode 4: Uh where are the adults? Did the gundam eat them all? Ohhhhh they're just elsewhere, sure whatever. Guys I'm not sure your pod was designed in a manner where you can just separate it like that. drat America you cold! You're right of course but still that's cold. Also I'm unsure of the effectiveness in stripping to show how serious/truthful one is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

Guys uhhh you really aren't very good at this keeping a prisoner jailed thing. Like really bad. Super duper bad.

Obviously, they took their lessons on the subject from G-Reco.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Episode 5: Kissing is not sex

Blondie is not a nice person. Actually no I don't think I should talk about the stupidly place button, or that they ignored critical systems (apparently maintenance folk are all dead/on vacation). More megadeus isn't really a surprise especially with them being in the opening credits. Why even ask why she wasn't wearing panties? Like none of that feels like it matters.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByxSNrfEwaMFYTZ0bk10SmRuRms/edit

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Episode 6: I'm surprised body switching power works on another who has that power. These posts are getting shorter, am I lazy? Has the anime sapped my strength? Send help.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 7, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Episode 7-7.5: I have other stuff to watch and I'm thinking I'd rather watch that. Or you know watch something better for the umpteenth time. I'm putting this project on hold, maybe I'll resume it at some point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While I can't exactly deny the logic of wanting to watch something else instead of Valvrave, my irrational enjoyment of this show still makes me disappointed! If you're not enjoying the first season you definitely won't enjoy the second one, though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The ride has only just started. You need to make it to the end :unsmigghh:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

At least it's better than Guilty Crown.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The ride has only just started. You need to make it to the end :unsmigghh:

Nah, they really don't. I lost so much interest by the end of season 1 that I didn't even bother with season 2.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

While I can't exactly deny the logic of wanting to watch something else instead of Valvrave, my irrational enjoyment of this show still makes me disappointed! If you're not enjoying the first season you definitely won't enjoy the second one, though.

My opinion may have been tainted going in but I find it dull and dumb. Dumb is fine, but dull isn't. If I like the concept I can tolerate shows that may be bad, even sometimes like. See Battle Athletes, (finished/ multiple times) Clockwork Planet (this I I got further in then I should of but not that far). Here's my comments on the show I watched instead of finishing the episode.

Episode 3: Super chess gently caress yeah this is my poo poo.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 8, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
No Game No Life

It's interesting and just had a movie come out. There's a bit of :chloe: between the siblings, but welcome to Isekai.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

My opinion may have been tainted going in but I find it dull and dumb. Dumb is fine, but dull isn't. If I like the concept I can tolerate shows that may be bad, even sometimes like. See Battle Athletes, (finished/ multiple times) Clockwork Planet (this I I got further in then I should of but not that far). Here's my comments on the show I watched instead of finishing the episode.

Episode 3: Super chess gently caress yeah this is my poo poo.

Oh, don't get me wrong, you're not wrong at all. There's a reason I said "my irrational enjoyment."

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

No Game No Life

It's interesting and just had a movie come out. There's a bit of :chloe: between the siblings, but welcome to Isekai.

Seen it and very well could apply but no not what I was referring too. This chess is better anyway.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

At least it's better than Guilty Crown.
Somehow. Yet worse than Kabaneri.

Xelkelvos posted:

No Game No Life

The sister has a childhood crush on her onichan; the feeling is not mutual.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 9, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Like Battlestar Galatica I stopped watching Kabenari like an episode or two before the end. I think my like of Snowpiercer may have something to do with how far I got... wait it's getting a second season hahaha. I may watch Guilty Crown, although probably not if it involves using Funimations aggressively bad site/

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Get back to work

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This is making me want to rewatch it just to follow along. A bizarrely spectacular trainwreck of gloriously rendered bad ideas.

Duck and Cover posted:

Seen it and very well could apply but no not what I was referring too. This chess is better anyway.

I actually really liked the games aspect of NGNL enough blank out the questionable parts of the show. But the questionable parts are incredible questionable so take that with a grain of salt.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

This is making me want to rewatch it just to follow along. A bizarrely spectacular trainwreck of gloriously rendered bad ideas.

I actually really liked the games aspect of NGNL enough blank out the questionable parts of the show. But the questionable parts are incredible questionable so take that with a grain of salt.

Blood Blockade has cooler chess. I suppose I could keep going later today the rate won't be nearly as fast as before though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Somehow. Yet worse than Kabaneri.

The sister has a childhood crush on her onichan; the feeling is not mutual.

Sure. Childhood crush. If that makes you feel better, okay.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sketchy stuff aside, the Creation Shiritori game was incredibly good.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Episode 7.5:

Damnit Ash! Team rockets blasting off again. Hmmm girl dead or next pilot plaaaace your bets! I'm going with pilot this show ain't got the balls to kill off a minor character I don't care about, even though they totally tried to make me care during the first half of the episode. (which in most animes would mean she totes dead)

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 10, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Episode 8: Oh dead, how very sad. (not that the person is dead but that I was wrong) Bet that's just a diversion for some sort of boarding party. Yep. You guys didn't decide to lock the door after that guy left? Good call A++ smarts. Maybe you guys should use the other mechs yes? Oh looks like next episode thrilling. Guys you also fail at prisoner restraint. That hole draining out the sea is fine right? Like it's not like the sea would be important for the biome. I keep my gemstones in a birdcage. Look Thunder as an American I can understand wanting to have so many guns but ammo seems more practical at a certain point. Do you guys think it would have been a decent idea to shelter in the mech bay as opposed to uhh a random classroom. Also isn't this place loving huge maybe ya'll shouldn't be so heavily concentrated. Like where the gently caress is everyone besides the school folk? Anime you're dumb.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Episode 6b: Burgers with mushroom.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Blood Blockade spoiler kind of. Episode 7b: Burgers without garlic

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 10, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Inspired by this post and the one in the anime thread, I decided to check out Valvrave(VVV) to see if it was as bad as you all said. I mean, I didn't feel Cross Ange was as bad as ADTRW led me to believe, so why not give this a shot.

Currently finished with the first season, bit I feel like comparing it to the post Code Geass show Aldnoah.Zero(AZ) because it gives me a similar feeling.

Storywise, AZ(S1) felt tighter and more believable. VVV was a bit..."Monster of the Week" and every episode's resolution felt like Team Rocket's "We're Blasting Off Again!". It was very corny and didn't feel right for this series. I get that there's that desire to keep a sense of normalcy after some big disaster, but the way it's carried out didn't really hit. There were many situations and decisions that were mind-boggling to witness and I'm not sure you can just handwave some of them away with "but they're teenagers". Both seasons end on a cliffhanger, but VVV's was pretty poo poo compared to the big surprise ending of AZ. It's the most nothing cliffhanger I've ever seen before.

Character-wise, VVV all the way. The only characters who did anything of importance in AZ were Inaho, the princess, and Slain(?). And even then, it became really hard to sympathize with them and feel the weight of the cliffhanger properly. Every problem was by Inaho's magicingenuity and tactics and the other characters were one-note and boring. Even moreso than the MC himself which is quite the feat. On the other hand, VVV's side characters do stand out and seem to matter to the story. It's also a lot easier to sympathize/empathize with characters who have actual feelings and contribute something to the plot. Now, this isn't me giving VVV some high praise for deep characters, but they were a lot more interesting than whatever AZ brought to the table.

Out of just S1, I have to say I like AZ more, even with the worse characters, simply because the story is a lot more interesting. I'm interested in what S2 will bring and how I'll feel then. Just thinking on characters though, unless some real poo poo goes down in VVV2, they are leaps and bounds ahead of AZ, especially AZS2, aka Inaho and those other losers.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

AZ2 was really disappointing.

I've never bothered to watch VVV S2 and S1 has mostly faded from my memory but I will always remember ERUERUFU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
The best part of Aldnoah was its music and the mechs. Everything else was fairly blah. Still better than the offensively bad that Valvrave and Guilty Crown ever was.

Edit: poo poo I think Cross Ange was better than Valvrave and Guilty Crown. Skybike mechs and tig ol bitties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I remember I watched an anime by the name of Aldnoah.

• Locked thread