Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

the best name was "Windows Cloud", but then someone in marketing went "This must be called Windows 10 something, and I don't give a poo poo what that something is!"

hence, Windows 10 S.

and whoever thought that creating a SKU that would force everyone to use (and only use) the Microsoft Store in a desperate bid to get developers to throw something, anything, into the store, while also telling everyone that there are performance and security upgrades that no one can actually see, and putting that os on your newest, $1200+ laptops, :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Because sites like Windows Central are basically MS promotion sites, I mean yeah they'll give critique and gripes to a degree but it's the usual 'tech journalism'

I've meet Dan Rubino at BUILD twice. Super nice guy, and out of all the writers there the one I like to read as he attempts criticism, but sometimes you know your audience and they just won't have it. But yeah, it's 'tech journalism'.

Jason Ward's "editorials" are the best, they're usually quite long, don't have a real point until the last paragraph, and often are contradictions of something he just wrote, even in the same week.

And RE: Surface Book

I have one, 50% of the time it doesn't sleep when I close the lid. Apparently the Surface Laptop doesn't have this problem but :lol: I ain't rollin' the dice on that.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

iirc it's not, but also, gently caress bundleware. at no point should the pro sku be auto installing any third party software

but then how would people learn about the great benefits of the Microsoft Store, and all those UWP app(s) available for download?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

PleasureKevin posted:

Beta OSs aren’t just for testing said OS, they’re for testing to make sure your own software works within in the upcoming OS. No you shouldn’t have to share information to use it.

That's why you get a VM and test your program in that.

And go to Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & feedback, you can see the stuff it's sending up.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

they also complained about the tsunami in Japan getting coverage

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

lol

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

what is this good machine on which your vs code is slow?

load enough electron apps on any machine and it's gonna be slow

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

El Mero Mero posted:

Sometimes im at work and think about microsoft products and then need a chuckle so I go and look back at this

much rather meet up at the yammer beer pong table

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Last Chance posted:

discord has possible the worst ui ive ever seen. slack sucks, skype for biz sucks, dunno about teams since our IT dept can't be arsed to let us use it ("we're testing it.. -apr 2017").

I don’t think there is a single person at Microsoft, even on the Skype for biz team, who actually likes it.

teams is basically replacing it, and while I’m not a fan it’s actually useable, which is a huge improvement.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

SupSuper posted:

at this point is any microsoft product actually using microsoft update? app store, office, visual studio, skype, teams, etc all got separate special snowflake updaters

it took visual studio one year to figure out automatic updates

the VS Installer condenses a bunch of other installers. if you're an MS product that's shipping in it, with some exceptions, you have to get rid of your products own internal installer and use the VS one instead. that helps with consistency of where to expect updates I guess, but that leads to other poo poo. you can't ship updates outside of VS service releases.

say you're Xamarin, and Xcode 9.3 launches on Mac. you have a day one update to support it. can't ship it because it needs to go out in a service release, and VS can't ship on time. can't ship the updated VS For Mac release because if you do that'll break VS users who can't get it yet. users update to 9.3 on their Macs, now they can't build iOS apps in VS, :suicide:

there's also "alpha packs" too that are meant to get around the above issue. VSIXs that let you install and uninstall "unsupported" extension updates for workloads bundled in the installer. those were hilariously broken, where if you built one that included references to "shipping" vsixs (ones that were shipping in that release), they would install fine, but if uninstalled it would get rid of those shipping extensions too, breaking the workload and (most likely) breaking VS until you repair it. that's fixed in 15.7 :suicide:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

someone finally realized that the 1st party UWP apps are completely loving useless

also lol@MSN 2.0 edge web portal

imo mail and calendar are really good for what they are. hell of a lot better than macOS mail, which can't handle my inboxes without choking.

i'm pretty sure news already was a web app, in that it was built with some form of Win.JS before that was deprecated.

my prediction is that we are actually replace them with machine-learning algorithms to generate more cortana popups and (tenuous) links to azure, somehow.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

You have been transferred to the Dog Food Eating Department

that's every FTE who uses Edge.

i've been emailed from the Edge team asking for help debugging a crash they saw on my work computer that they couldn't reproduce and wanted to do live debugging on it to figure it out.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/roslyn/status/993880378732527617

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

weren't they going to put tabs or a ribbon into notepad

Sets are tabs, so I guess they were.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

is..is that the tiger wallpaper

yes it is, from here

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

VS Code is a gateway drug.

first you use vs code, then you get an azure account :getin:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

nah microsoft under nadella doesn't rebrand the large acquisitions

if they buy it they'll just add ci/cd integration with VSTS and make it ridiculously easy to deploy your code to azure

like "oops i accidentally clicked this button and now my code is running in a very expensive aks cluster"

yeah, this is the most likely outcome. LinkedIn was left alone (apart from the whole "integrate into MS graph", which is why they were bought), and the GitHub brand is too strong to rename it.

not putting it past marketing though to screw it up!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I’ve seen a bunch of comments like “lol codeplex” but codex didn’t have a business plan, and GitHub does, so :shrug:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

our summer movie list. gotta get this done so i can fill out my connect.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

here's a statement from microsoft, about how they're working with ice, but all that child concentration camp stuff probably doesn't have anything to do with azure: https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2018/06/18/microsoft-statement-on-separating-families-at-the-southern-border/

the statement links to fuckin' linked in :lol:

on a less depressing note

still my favorite tech site, gets me every time.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

the smooth-brained transition into universal apps continues apace

the writing was on the wall when they switched the name of the apps to "Office Mobile" (this was still when Windows Phone was being actively worked on!) and made it impossible to find in the store. like, you couldn't just search for "Word Mobile" to find the UWP version, you had to find some random rear end store link on the web, and that would take you there.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

Firefox is implementing WebP support as well, it's just Apple's Internet Explorer that's left.

You need the Web Media Extensions: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/webmedienerweiterungen/9n5tdp8vcmhs?rtc=1&source=lp&activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab (and, potentially, the HEVC Video extensions: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq#activetab=pivot:overviewtab)

afaik, that's only for video (ogg, theora). webp support is supported in edge itself, at least in 19H1.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
IMO switching away from edgeHTML to Blink is, as with every decision involving Microsoft these days, Azure.

- base your browser around a common web engine that happens to be used in a shitload of devices (Android, ChromeOS, etc.)
- now you can tell developers "build PWAs, they will work the same across all these devices!" and make them first-class citizens in Windows
- conveniently provide tooling to make better PWAs, that just so happen to integrate with easily deploying Azure app services
- watch as Azure continues to grow and Windows continues to shrink in relevance

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

fair enough, i suppose the question is then "why did microsoft build a surface product around this cpu?" as opposed to leaving it in the bargain bin for the no-name chinese oems making $10 tablets that don't work

it was going to be arm until intel paid a bunch of money to bundle it in

that’s why

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

xbox isn't special in that regard.

for the whole company they only report operating income for the three segment buckets (Productivity and Business Processes, Intelligent Cloud, More Personal Computing). you won't find, for example, how much SQL Server made or lost.

also because how much money SQL server makes doesn't matter that much, it's how much does it drive adoption to Azure or use its resources. if Azure use is growing, and you can show whatever your working on is helping drive that number higher, then you're mostly fine. if it's not then your gonna get questions.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Beamed posted:

can we talk about them sliding interoperability with java in there as a loving cliff note

unless I'm misreading it, it's already something supported through Mono. so the idea is that it'll be supported within .NET Core too. but it's not a new thing.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
one .NET exists because MSFT employees are too afraid to admit mono does better at some things and didn't want to use it in their projects

so it was easier to rebrand everything

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

brap posted:

the vibe I get is that UWP was satya giving the windows org a chance to fail in order to justify chopping them in half and handing the pieces to the office and azure orgs.

the right move imo

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

idgaf about s4b cause its really bad. teams is just barely good enough that its not worth entertaining other options

slack

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
seriously, slack is better than teams in every way, and no one in upper management is taking that away from us

because they use it too

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

the context is that xamarin has a very large percentage of remote employees and a culture that revolves around slack chats. when acquired by microsoft that didn't change, because microsoft now tries to avoid immediately destroying its acquisitions.

teams didn't exist when we were acquired, that happened after.

tbf to Teams, they do listen to feedback and have gotten better overtime. all of our video chats are over Teams now and it's quite nice! it's just the whole "chat" part they refuse to fix. like, when you refuse to budge on fuckin white space between messages, :wtf:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
a large portion of devdiv doesn't use Teams, and instead functions through large multicolor tagged email chains that will probably result in a meeting and a calendar invite for all CCed.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Perplx posted:

I have a business idea, make an electron to native code transpiler

electron os

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
best feature of Windows Phone was the “I’ll be late” button when you get a meeting appointment. very useful in Redmond when you need to shuttle between buildings and need an extra 15 minutes.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I can’t wait for Windows lite to gain Win32 compatibility by using WINE.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

rear end posted:

So what's Microsoft's final consensus on UWP?

in short: :shrug:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

microsoft. satya was a programmer, billg was.

bill gates wrote donkey.bas and we're all better for it

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

google does it to build ad profiles. microsoft does it because it's cheaper than paying testers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

no those interns chose to make the video. it's clearly stockholm syndrome.

tbf interns get treated very well as an incentive to stay with ms. then they get the job and boy oh boy.

also the ftes who worked with them on their own time, that's stockholm syndrome.