Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i thought it was fitting to have a broken ms thread tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
typically the answer is, yes you can do the mac thing on windows if you're willing to download some 3rd party program from a website

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

that's just an example, could be an invoice number, whatever.
i used to work with textbook publishing and had a sheet of 13 digit ISBN's + book titles and this poo poo drove me up the wall every day :suicide:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
did they actually kill file history? i'm updating right now and i forgot to check

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
touchscreens on laptops are an atrocity & i can't even stand to have a single fingerprint left behind on my screen. i even wipe off my phone every 30 minutes or so

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
every single aaa video game maker and publisher deserves to burn in hell at this very moment, valve included

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

anthonypants posted:

if microsoft bought ea they would start with firing anyone with any talent and retain only the middle managers
ea seems like a good fit

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, it is either worse or better (i personally suspect the latter to be true) than that, it is a broad os feature where you can put disparate apps into a single tabbed "app", to gather work that involves all of them into a single thing
put the taskbar on the top and now you have tabs within tabs

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the answer is probably ~video games~

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
this was also a very intentional decision by the company due to "customer feedback" apparently. would love to know whose since they ruined the workday of just about everyone i know

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i should note that this even broke the surface pen's drawing functionality in favor of turning the pen into an 11th finger for scrolling on webpages in edge

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

infernal machines posted:

also looking forward to seeing just how hilariously timeline fucks things up. because this being microsoft, the only way i see "application state follows you between systems" working is "and now everything is crashing everywhere"
i love that they introduced multiple desktops and got it working mostly properly and are looking to gently caress up everyone who incorporated it into their workflow by changing the layout & including more/different functionality into it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then posted:

Microsoft: or you can just ignore it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
you can put 3d objects in your image files now

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

anthonypants posted:

cool can we see a live demo
especially when they rotate the screen and all the elements smoothly rotate with it

can we get a live demo of that on the surface pro at least, satya? tia

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

osx did an update last month or something and had no issues and didn't reset any privacy settings
all my settings, including dumb bullshit i typed into the terminal to unhide the user library, have been intact since i bought my first mac with 10.9

meanwhile, windows 10 can't even preserve settings between seasonal "creators" updates

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i can't wait for them to use github as a brand to use anywhere much like minecraft or halo

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Fiedler posted:

in windows 10 you pin the programs you frequently use to the taskbar, start menu, or desktop, or you hit windows key and then type the first 2 letters of the program's name. it turns out that this mode of interaction is faster than scanning through a list of 200 items.

but you wouldn't know because you've never actually tried to use it.
just friday i typed "part" and hit enter when i saw disk partition manager pop up, only to find that a web search for a store called "party time" fed in through the web just before i hit the key, causing a web browser window to open with the store highlighted in a bing map instead of the desired program that was initially highlighted in search

windows 10

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i went from 7 to 8, 8.1, and 10 and honestly it felt like a downhill slide all the way

i could chalk it up to getting old, but i like gnome 3 a lot. too bad i need adobe software, so macos with the dock on the left it is

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

How in the hell could Win8->Win10 feel like a downward slide, I mean sure Win10 has tons of inconsistencies but ffs Win8 was the brainchild of a madman
primary ones being that search and printing poo poo is even worse somehow

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
even with gpo and registry modifiers it'll sometimes ignore those

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
charging via usb-c is fine and the surface pro should do the same

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
didn't the windows 10 mail client start randomly throwing ads in as well? because lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
make sure scaling is turned off

anthonypants posted:

if you're on office 365 and log in to owa and click the "keep me signed in" checkbox and don't sign out out, skype for business and outlook and anything else that tracks your free/busy will never set you away or offline
i had someone ask why i never respond on skype because apparently i've been "online" forever despite not logging in for about 6 months

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
sun probe mission going well I see

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

huhwhat posted:

win 10 mail is showing ads to me now

it's been about a year since i got this win 10 laptop, the timing can't be a coincidence

ugh i just want to keep an eye on incoming emails on my secondary accounts without having them forwarded to my main
i use thunderbird on my windows machine

problem solved

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
doesn't solitaire have a subscription for it now

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lawyers are generally extremely conservative* and get set in a workflow that they'll never change. I know a guy who writes out his briefs longhand and has people type them up. this usually leads to using out-of-date bespoke software setups

*not necessarily in the political sense; they're just trained to follow specific patterns and be suspicious of change
law offices are the only people i see using corel's office suite

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i thought that warning was just there to say "save your poo poo now in case your computer needs to restart, because we're not getting sued for lost time/work"

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Microsoft working overtime to bring the linux experience to windows
complete with the release every 6 months whether actually ready or not experience of ubuntu

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

**i'm still convinced there's a marketing guy in microsoft who lost a bitter fight for windows 10 to be named "windows one"
at least the branding would be consistent for once

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Chris Knight posted:

during one project at my last job, someone who should have known better wanted to split the market segments into folders named RES, BUS, and COM

i had to explain why the COM one wouldn’t work
i'm probably this guy because i had some folders/files on a harddrive that wouldn't copy over to a work desktop, because i used other os' for so long that i forgot that these restrictions existed

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i had a coworker who put emojis in some word/excel doc file names on their mac and when these files needed to be sent to others, it created.. something of a mess

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

President Beep posted:

lmao. what grade are they in?
old enough to be my grandparent, and mostly used the markings ❗️‼️❌ in invoices to designate how urgent something was/if it was cancelled by customer/whatever

cinci zoo sniper posted:

"Q4_FINANCIALS_😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 (2).xlsx"

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 4, 2018

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i should also note that it was a place that used macs exclusively for a time, but then added in some windows workstations around the time i started

basically headaches would have been prevented if apple just released a mac pro worth a drat instead of a trashcan

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
windows 18.10 rusty rattlesnake

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
their talent has generally been swooping in and saving another ip from terrible writing

maybe they're looking at that for halo, idk

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

quote:

Similarly, the company is looking at "Net promoter score"—whether users would recommend each version to their family and friends—and says that this, too, is heading in the right direction,
does this mean seeing that "would you recommend windows 10 to a friend or colleague" pop-up every update in the near future

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

MS 2018: hey seems like colour might actually help object recognition

edit: looks like the tiles are slightly rounded even, lol metro is basically completely excised at this point (good)
cool now we can have yet another level of design language on top of the others that still exist within the os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

infernal machines posted:

i mean in the sense of making choices with how their services are offered that run directly counter to, or at best orthogonal to how people actually want to use them. so while you and i and pretty much everyone else knows why they're using office 365 or g-suite, ms and google appear to just be throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks
pretty sure it's both companies trying to grow their userbase by any means necessary, even if it means pissing off some fraction of the existing one