Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

The Management posted:

does the OS use it? when I enter my WiFi password on a device, are all of my other devices automatically able to use that network when they see it? are my notifications sent to all of them? is there even a windows cloud notification backend? can I locate my devices and wipe them remotely?

all of this without any third party apps

propagating wifi passwords is not desirable you monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol their justification for the pricetag is that the store version comes with "easy installation" and "reliability"

quote:

Everyone knows that installing “classic” desktop apps on Windows is a pain,

wut

burning swine
May 26, 2004

good news wheany, it's still free if you don't install the retarded version

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

automatic coordinated updating and reinstalling on new machines with one click are decent bonuses

This is correct and good but no one has ever managed it in a reasonable way yet on windows. Ninite / Chocolatey and others just blindly install with all of the default options set, resulting in a system that has its explorer context menus carpet bombed with poo poo, a bunch of dumb startup crap enabled, and god knows what else. Windows software has too long a history of requiring customization during install to do any of it seamlessly

someone go buy paint.net from the app store and let us know if it still blows up the context menus for image files with "edit with paint.net" etc

e: oh god this is the worst snype

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/09/beware-update-kb4046355-removes-windows-media-player/

quote:

The Windows 10 update KB4046355 for the Fall Creators Update -- listed as FeatureOnDemandMediaPlayer - Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4046355) removes Windows Media Player from the operating system.

The update has been released for the Insider version of Windows 10 version 1709

burning swine
May 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Smart replies on their own are a useful enough feature

:wrong:

2017 status: there are still no good instant messengers (no change)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Trashman posted:

laffo does that just send back an email with whatever outlooks equivalent of 👍🏽 is

Microsoft is proud to introduce: the NICE! button

burning swine
May 26, 2004

welp

looks like fall creators update is starting to roll out.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-fall-creators-update-the-10-best-new-features/

am I the only one who reads down these lists every 6 months and concludes that effectively nothing at all has changed

burning swine
May 26, 2004

like hot drat we've got big changes incoming to cortana, defender, onedrive, photos

oh right I removed or disabled every single one of those things already

but there's an emoji character map picker now!

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I wouldn't mind if they would fix some of the glaring poo poo that's been plaguing the OS since launch, like the control panel / settings disparity, the 90 different kinds of context menus, and the dumb crap everyone wants to disable but can't

those would be changes I could get behind

burning swine
May 26, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

built in emet is probably noteworthy

speaking of which, by disabling defender you are the problem with the internet

A/V is bad, this is well known

burning swine
May 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

dpi improvements

Didn't know about that, that's actually good

burning swine
May 26, 2004

it is also known that defender runs javascript and other execution engines with no sandbox and has been used as an attack surface multiple times already

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hifi posted:

the game bar is the stupid thing that shows up

offering the BEST gaming experience

*launches game*

*game bar shows up*
*Nvidia ansel notification shows up*
*steam overlay shows up*
*computer reboots itself for updates*

burning swine
May 26, 2004

So if you manually install nvidia drivers now, you get ansel along with them. There isn't an opt out. There is, however, an opt-out for the geforce experience, which is where the toggle to turn off ansel lives.

I ended up with an impossible-to-disable ansel a few weeks ago and had to hunt down and kill the exe

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

one of those questions had better be "why the gently caress does excel insist on displaying any large (cc number for example) as scientific notation and why the gently caress can i not turn that behavior off"

quote:

ZachDamnit 188 points 5 hours ago
Why can't the auto-scientific notation default be disabled?

quote:

I know that it can be frustrating entering values and having this happen. We are investigating what we can do to make this better.  You can help by Voting for this issue. For now, you can select a range and format as text prior to entering the bar codes / id numbers. -Eric [Microsoft]

get votin'
https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/...umbers-actually

e: currently the 3rd highest voted entry on that site

burning swine
May 26, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The best solution to resolve this behavior, is to disable the Waves MaxxAudio Service Application (Publisher Waves Audio Ltd.) service.

lmao burn that poo poo to the ground

same terrible software that turbofucked the audio on my xps15 2 weeks ago

e: from the dell article

quote:

Note: All the audio should still work fine and the MaxxAudio application will load. However, there is no way to remove the service or application.

The service will re-enable after rebooting and will have to be disabled each time.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Tankakern posted:

mentioned it in that mame thread, you can get around that issue with this: https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

quote:

Written in C, the best programming language. 😎

seems like he's improved his approach since the initial patch set, and it doesn't have to replace system files with unsigned poo poo anymore. cool/good

i'd probably be using this + windows 7 on my XPS15 if 7 could handle high-dpi worth a poo poo

akadajet posted:

10 is better than 7. It's not the poo poo show that 8 was.
:wrong:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Powaqoatse posted:

5 chars is lol

also long paths being an issue

I don't think long paths have been an actual issue for a long time now

lol @ using a microsoft account as a windows login though

burning swine
May 26, 2004

bah something has changed and now when I add my work o365/exchange account to outlook 2016 I get signed into the entire office suite as that user. If I sign out of office, it forgets how to retrieve my email until I re-enter the password whereupon I'm signed back into the entire loving suite

:negative:

shaggar I demand answers

burning swine
May 26, 2004

on an unrelated note this answer on snack overflow gave me a chuckle

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31885302/how-can-i-detect-if-my-app-is-running-on-windows-10

quote:

C#: How can I detect if my app is running on Windows 10?
code:
static bool IsWindows10()
 {
     var reg = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion");
     string productName = (string)reg.GetValue("ProductName");
     return productName.StartsWith("Windows 10");
 }

quote:

Using 'StartsWith' will be incorrect on Windows 100. – Boann Aug 8 '15 at 18:38

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I don't use outlook so idk. are you using different accounts for outlook and office? they probably setup outlook to use the current creds from the rest of office instead of treating it as a separate app which suits the needs of 90% of clients but probably not anyone with multiple accounts.

lol I don't have a second account

I want office to be signed into no accounts at all

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

you cant. office 365 versions of office require you be signed in and activated.

It's Office 2016. Is that a "365 version"?

e: This didn't start happening until like 2 weeks ago

burning swine
May 26, 2004

infernal machines posted:

however you can still sign out of office itself under file->office account

doing so will disconnect you from exchange until you sign back in, now

burning swine
May 26, 2004

infernal machines posted:

huh. i am definitely not signed in to an office account, and i am definitely online with exchange

try signing out of the office account in word, then open outlook

This might be something configured at an account-level, I'm not sure. Here's what happens for me:

1. Open outlook, sign in to exhcnage/o365 if not already signed in
2. Open Word. Observe that you're now signed into word/office as your o365 user
3. Click sign out in file/account in word
4. Close word and outlook
5. Open outlook. You're prompted to sign in before the splash screen even goes away
6. Open word and observe that you're signed into word/office again :argh:

Further: Setting up group policy to disallow office sign-ins makes it impossible to connect to o365/exchange or to even add the account

burning swine
May 26, 2004

so shaggs what's the best mail client to use on the finest microsoft os, windows 7

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

upgrade to windows 10 and use windows 10 mail client.

ON IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

burning swine
May 26, 2004

guys, it's THE COOLEST THING SINCE
uh...
lynx?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Disabled the touchscreen on my xps 15 via device manager. As far as I could tell its only purpose was to gently caress up the layout of certain websites when the browser reported that my poo poo was touch-capable

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I use the touchscreen on my xps15 to the point that I start pawing at non touchscreens

noted bad opinion haver shaggar likes laptop touchscreens guys

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Tankakern posted:

or just use linux

^this

since linux applications scale wrong and look wonky at any DPI, 4k is a lateral move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Valeyard posted:

huh, mine was that degraded literally out of the wrapping

Mine is fairly similar: 87,438 mWh / 97,003 mWh

And shows the same levels since I got it in May. I think I know why though. These laptops have an option in bios to extend battery longevity for machines that spend most of their time on A/C power. It accomplishes this by charging to less than 100% capacity to reduce wear. This is transparent to the OS.

I've had mine set to 'on' since it does spend most of its time plugged in on my desk. The default is some kind of 'autodetect', though, so if you spend a lot of time on a/c it may be turned on. You can try going into bios and explicitly shutting it off, then see if your capacity improves after a discharge/charge cycle.

burning swine fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 5, 2018