Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

dont be mean to me posted:

(not the 57 webext thing, the surprise Germany in particular! you're getting tracking poo poo thing)

what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

lol

gently caress chrome broke every browser manufacturer's brain

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
mozilla just keeps throwing poo poo at the wall.

good new things: send link to device, take a screenshot.

dumb things: cliqkcqx or whatever the hell that thing in the link was.

what the hell even is this: pocket. it keeps appearing on toolbars and i have no idea what it does. is it like bookmarks?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

send link to device and take a screenshot bring mozilla to like feature parity with x year old chrome extensions, cool.

yes, but they're actually good features and the naming makes them obvious. imagine if they were called like zappl. i"t's easy! you just zappl™ the link to other connected browsers"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
chrome is really popular :thunk::thunk::thunk: what if we turn our browser into a worse chrome! :hellyeah:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
windows app store finally gets something worth installing https://blog.getpaint.net/2017/09/29/paint-net-is-now-available-on-the-windows-store/

it costs $8.99 (on sale for $4.99 until the end of october) horns.aiff

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

anthonypants posted:

that's nice but what did you find on the app store that was worth installing

paint.net is good, op

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
not $9-after-a-decade-of-being-free good, but good

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

infernal machines posted:

do you defrag your registry?

i defrag my registry more often than i change my underwear. twice a year.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
another good change from making paint.net store-compatible: you don't have to copy plugins to C:\Program Files\Paint.NET anymore, you can copy them into a directory under your home directory now.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
that's exactly what i said

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I feel a little sad about the death of WinPho. Not as sad as Palm, but a little.

yes, i too am sad when my favorite corporation introduces a me-too product that fails

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

now google can race to the bottom even faster because they're pretty much in non-compete mode with apple by carving out completely different user segments. not that Microsoft was doing much there in the first place, but they were the only other company with the resources to actually attempt it in the first place

:rolleyes:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cool thank u for ironic detachment I will really think on these salient points you have definitely made

lol if u think this is a debate

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

it was a cool idea but nobody wanted their apps to integrate w/ it cause that would mean lower BRAND ENGAGEMENT

20 years after companies stopped using native widgets os vendors still haven't figured this out

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

also winpho sucked. it's incredible it has apologists on here. the performance was fine but live tiles sucked horribly

why are you using past tense with live tiles? they are still alive in the world's most advanced hybrid desktop/mobile operating system, windows 10.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
also as soon as microsoft realizes they have something vaguely popular they take the thing and smear it on everything else. that's why they shuffle their brands around. "people like xbox? well, now our failing music service is called xbox! people like skype? well now our failing corporate chat is also called skype!"

see also running the ninja cat unicorn thing into the ground at supersonic speed.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

anthonypants posted:

i'm hopeful too but the first iteration of apple hardware usually isn't good. kind of expecting the oled panels to fail or faceid to exhibit strange behavior or something bizarre

the oled panel is already failing in the released promitional images, there is this weird notch of dead pixels on one side of the display

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
people like xbox, xbox has fans.

if we use the xbox brand on the watch, people will like the watch and the watch will have fans.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
and people will think microsoft is cool again.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

7 being pronounced as vulgarity for penis in russian didn't help my maturity either

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
So, any new pictures of Microsoft carpet laptop now with several months of secretions absorbed?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Boiled Water posted:

I tried a surface laptop at a store and maybe there is a demo/display edition because the carpet felt more like vinyl flooring

no, that's just sweat and skin cells caked on the carpet and then polished into a vinyl flooring-like texture

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

:barf:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Mine forced portrait mode on boot, even when it's connected to the keyboard. Every boot now it reverts back to portrait mode

your operating system is telling you you're holding it wrong

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Thank you

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Boiled Water posted:

now we know where all that white-space at the top of every window is going: https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/28/16709190/microsoft-windows-10-tabs-file-explorer-sets-feature

Oh man, it works really well when using word, PowerPoint, OneNote and edge, 4 programs I don't use.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

symbols links on windows? do please actually use that?

i've used them a couple of times

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wild EEPROM posted:

reminder that apple tricked samsung into making a smart watch and then got tricked by the smart watch and made their own smart watch.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

PleasureKevin posted:

however, it's not on PS4 because microsoft insists that all Minecraft games allow cross-platform multiplayer, which Sony doesn't allow.

It's on ps4, but it doesn't support cross play, because Microsoft wants people to sing up for Xbox live to play it, to further inflate its user numbers

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

what...what does he do in the shell all day that this would be an improvement

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

James Baud posted:

Do you and your coworkers truly work in such tight quarters that this is a regular occurrence? With you also close enough to see it too?

by "someone" he meant himself. he did it on purpose

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
microsoft is the only company that shuffles its product names as often as they do.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
why is moderation so poo poo on every social platform?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i don't even mean the human effort required to review everything, i mean the tools available seem to be poo poo and a total afterthought.

after your white power clan gets shut down, that should automatically prevent you from making a new one, or a similar one, or at least flag you as requiring pre-approval

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
so don't pre-approve, just flag the account as "can't create new groups due to past bahavior"

if your platform is even moderately succesful, it will have troublemakers and sooner or later you will have to deal with it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

PleasureKevin posted:

"oh jeez that's proven to be a toxic formula", they see "that's proven to uh 'drive engagement'"

love too engage

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
and that's actually true too, and also applies to news comments. let's promote the most "controversial" or "interesting" comment automatically to the top, where it sits with practically the same visibility as the news article, where people have a chance to get extremely mad at it and then want to reply to it. later the same people return to the page to see if their sick burns have gotten any upvotes, and you can serve them another batch of ads. :homebrew:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i'm more of a drink beer in my underwear while browsing the forums kind of guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
welp, that's where my troubleshooting skills end. bin it.