Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

chrome is awful

I take it you haven't used state of the art business browsers with Sharepoint in Internet Explorer 11 recently?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jony neuemonic posted:

compared to macs where you just drop an app bundle in /Applications instead of running an installer that can do who knows what.

it's bad.

there's also the whole sandboxing which is a really neat trick

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

turns out wangos-store has similar stuff but I guess we should hate new thing or something in favor yolo-ing an unauditable mess of MSI with admin rights

yeah it's good but the windows store is a mess.

the real problem is windows not having sandboxing built in by default, but built ontop of windows 10,

which is built on top of windows ... NT?

which has to be compatible with everything back to grandas computer

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I don't think anyone has to be convinced that Linux is Bad

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/ff402529(v=vs.105).aspx

quote:

If you've previously developed .NET or XAML apps, you can transfer these skills to develop Windows Phone apps that use XAML for the UI and C# or Visual Basic for the code.

Is this page helpful?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I feel a little sad about the death of WinPho. Not as sad as Palm, but a little.

it's sad because if handled better it could have been a good phone ecosystem

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i wonder when the surface line of products will be discontinued in favor of almost the same kind of tablets.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

live tiles hold the same value as windows 10

free

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FMguru posted:

winpho marketing was also p lol. remember the early campaign that was built around how winpho encouraged you not to use your smartphone and that was a good thing?

the marketing boys were right on this one, being glued to your phone is awful

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

At least this has taught us there is a limit to how much money MS are willing to pour down a hole when it's not labeled xbox.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i too hark back to a time when doing even the most basic business transactions like typing and printing a document required knowledge of CP/M

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

microsoft, windows, office, skype are all pretty vile terms

but then again so is xbox

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

xbox watch

office watch

microsoft watch

skype watch

&

skype watch for business (previously lync watch)

microsoft teams watch (depreciated will be merged into skype watch for business)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

microsoft watch enterprise edition

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

creationist believer posted:

remember microsoft band? lol

google remembers:

quote:

Microsoft Band | Official Site
https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us
Oversæt denne side
For people who want to live healthier and achieve more there is Microsoft Band. Reach your health and fitness goals by tracking your heart rate, exercise, calorie ...
‎Microsoft Band Features · ‎Microsoft Band help · ‎Microsoft Band Compatible Apps

quote:

Slut med Microsofts smartwatch-device: Microsoft lægger Microsoft ...
https://www.computerworld.dk/.../slut-med-microsofts-smartwatch-device-microsoft-l...
4. okt. 2016 - Det er ikke længere muligt at købe et Microsoft Band. Alt tyder på, at Microsoft har lagt smartwatch-devicen i graven.
lit: microsoft puts their smartwatch-device into the grave

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it's a weird default to be sure, considering excel is almost only a business tool and not a scientific computing tool

i guess it could be the latter but i wouldn't want to be the poor sod who'd have to use it for that. again.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

akadajet posted:

to be fair that would be pretty slick if done well

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

here's a fun exercise:

paste in a large number that would cause excel to display it in SN

format the cell to be a text field

the cell still displays the SN but if you click the cell the value is displayed correctly

and another:

paste in a large number with more than two numbers to the right of the decimal point (9999999999999.123456)

excel converts it to SN and truncates it to 2 decimal places without warning and there is no getting it back, that precision is gone.

a colleague of mine pointed out (when I explained this to him) that it's the limit of double precision for 64-bit floating points. You can have 15 numbers and a decimal point, no more no less. well I guess you could have less.

univbee posted:

this never would have happened with lotus 1-2-3

i have never used lotus 1-2-3 so it almost certainly would have also happened with lotus 1-2-3

the last version of 1-2-3 was in 32 bit so you could have even fewer numbers. I think. I am not a CS-person.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

so much for not devaluing the Xbox brand

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I tried to search for a torrenting program on my windows pc. all files are indexed, but search would only find the program if I put in the beginning of the name. no searching for “torr” or anything less than the start of the name

also it’s qbittorrent which I think is pretty unique amongst the names of my programs

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I tried a surface laptop at a store and maybe there is a demo/display edition because the carpet felt more like vinyl flooring

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

snap, almost had me mr clown

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if not downloading and using a reddit foss to automatically janitor my registry is being "loving stupid and an embarrassment" then so be it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

windows update reset my background to the default.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what the gently caress are 3d models, why does it need its own file in every explorer overview and who thought it was a good idea to not be able to remove things from the finder overview by a simple right click?

it's almost as if the microsoft people wants everyone to buy something else

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Last Chance posted:

what was the windows laptop everyone was crowing about recently? i have a friend who asked for a windows laptop reocmmendation and although it goes against my better judgement as an apple fuckboy, i want to give a reasonable recommendation

there was a heated debate in which two conclusions were reached:

if you want a good laptop with windows you have to pay all the money

alternatively pay as little as humanly possible and buy a new laptop annually

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

call a priest

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

not that surprising. big blue did the same and saw massive savings on it support

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

this site has three different icons for visual studio code, none of which are the right one

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

you shouldn't use any biometrics if you want to be secure and all of these are opt in afaik

a teen on my bus said this to his friend yesterday, then logged into his iPhone using the passcode 1-2-3-4

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FMguru posted:

did you go back there and correct him, or just continue on driving to the next stop?

scandinavian social rules dictates no talking to strangers ever unless it's a dire emergency

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A Pinball Wizard posted:

why the gently caress did you enable the guest account

a better question would be why does updating windows change the settings ?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Visual Studio question: What makes enterprise edition worth so much more ?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i should qualify that I won't be buying it at all, just wondering what could justify the price tag and jump from the previous tier

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i dont think they even are aware of the whole encryption thing, our infosec is so bad we could be penetrated by subsonic toaster oven

:yossame:

my company laptop running windows 10 enterprise edition isn’t even encrypted. steal 10 choice laptops, steal the whole business

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

you can take the state out of Soviet, but taking the Soviet out of state is hard

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maybe just maybe it's time to put equation editor out to pasture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it was probably designed that way so the power brick didn't have to be massive.

or maybe it's limited by whatever you can push though usb-c.