Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

has Microsoft done anything relevant in the last decade?

They continue to make the Windows which is the worlds best operation system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the web has always been garbage but IE/Edge is the least bad way to use it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

I'm looking for a specific answer here: does Microsoft has an iCloud equivalent that provides generic sync services to all your apps based on a single account? seems like the answer is no.

yes, but the app has to use it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

does the OS use it? when I enter my WiFi password on a device, are all of my other devices automatically able to use that network when they see it? are my notifications sent to all of them? is there even a windows cloud notification backend? can I locate my devices and wipe them remotely?

all of this without any third party apps

yeah all of that is there.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

I kinda wish normal iPhone app notifications (e.g. Snapchat) were forwarded to my Mac.

windows phone notifications are forwarded to ur windows computers if you haven't already acknowledged them on the phone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also skype does SMS forwarding so you can send SMS from your computer thru ur winphone (and maybe android now too).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

i thought that was the current winpho iteration (windows 10 but scaled for phones), similar to how ios is just osx but for phones
it is but it doesn't do win32 apps on arm which I guess is what the new thing is gonna do.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OldAlias posted:

also if there is a custom install option it is usually necessary, otherwise hope you like bundled malware (gently caress you oracle). and redundant libraries. linux has this poo poo better figured out ffs

Linux installs from package repos will include random poo poo you don't need and/or will actively break your poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no when I install the same apps on windows they don't have the crap added by the Linux repo maintainers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you have to examine their work ahead of time then they aren't trustworthy. also it means you cant use your built in package manager

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I love my dead gay phone os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

unofficial microsoft pr company the verge has a sloppy drunk love letter about how win pho was a "glorious failure" that just happens to gloss over the fact that it was half baked when it came out and basically blames google for not making a youtube app and not, say, the three different sets of dev tools and architecture three times in four years with no upgrade path for devices effectively punishing all their early adopters

it has nothing to do with dev tools since most stuff just worked from version to version if you were using it properly and migrating from one to the other is not a big deal. The problem was nobody bought the phones so nobody wanted to write apps for it which meant nobody bought the phones.

also nobody cares about a youtube app, what they wanted was things like bank apps and airline apps that actually provide benefit over a terrible website and those were never on any version of win phone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the youtube app for ios was awful, idk anyone who used it over the slightly less awful website. nowdays they may be equally awful idk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zam Wesell posted:

not saying it is good (it isn't), but it's incredibly important to have on a platform that normal human beings are supposed to use. same with snapchat, etc

snapchat sure because access to native APIs is critical for its functionality. youtube.app on ios was a dumpster fire worse than the website in every single way. even if it was identical to the website, it provides no benefit. The problem with winphone wasn't no youtube app, it was no Instagram app or updates for years.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it works better in Edge on winphone than in safari or the youtube app on ios.

but its a bad example for what apps were missing was all I'm saying. its not an app people need where something like Instagram or snapchat need to be an app and on winphone they were never kept up to date.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah winphone should have been 1st party hardware from the start.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I cant imagine having the autism levels required to get angry at the all caps menus in vs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

it was a cool idea but nobody wanted their apps to integrate w/ it cause that would mean lower BRAND ENGAGEMENT

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah it was that it would only support features users wanted vs features the app wanted like ads or tracking.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

windows is pretty much toxic as a consumer brand and has been ever since the malwarepalooza that was early versions of xp followed by the vista and 8 disasters and the fact that windows is synonymous with work which is synonymous with a creaky black plastic laptop that runs like a three legged dog and doesnt connect to webex half the time and you dont bother to fix it because 1) gently caress webex and 2) you dont want to deal with the weird smelling it guy who wears nothing but my little pony shirts to work and giggles to himself

winpho marketing was also p lol. remember the early campaign that was built around how winpho encouraged you not to use your smartphone and that was a good thing?

their idea was good, but the public facing marketing was really bad. their internal marketing that showed how you'd use it irl was good and did a better job of explaining why a user would want it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the skype redesign is weird cause the initial betas were good and then all of a sudden they did really stupid poo poo like weird settings dialog and the useless 50/50 split view of contact list + chat. its like some rear end in a top hat who really liked the terrible, terrible old skype chat UI wanted to try to bring that poo poo back instead of fully moving to a regular chat layout.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thats right, its outlook ui redesign time

looks way better than the previous version, but it probably works the same underneath

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
focused inbox rules.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im legit excited about onedrive files on demand, security improvements, gpu in task manager, dpi improvements, updating improvements. emoji bar and fluent design system is nice too.

yeah theres a bunch of nice new stuff like that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Game mode does other stuff like suppressing AV sig updates or background installation/staging of windows updates which could make your game go lovely and you should just leave it alone

id rather have windows updates than video games

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I guess it was to prevent users from installing the update without getting approval via wsus but then they realized how few people properly maintain wsus so they just published it to everyone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that means your phone is presenting a different network every time you tether

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the intellimouse was great when it came out, but idk why anyone would want one today. like maybe if you just got a mac which means you need a mouse, but there are better ones out there (mostly from Logitech)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i had the wireless version of the mx500 and it was a good mouse. the mx revolution is the best mouse, but Logitech doesn't want to make good mice anymore

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xps 15. the current model is the 9560. get the 4k touch screen.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the surface book 2 might be good, but the price is a little silly.

lol @ getting a mac book pro tho. those things are turds.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

once u go mac u never go back

because ur stuck in the past where u had to go to get the mac book

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you get it from the Microsoft store its also $100 cheaper than from dell.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no reason to replace the wifi card afaik.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idgi

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the whitespace is there cause when you click on a thing in the exchange admin ui details show up there. if you expand the window the list expands w/ it so idk what the responsive is about

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
looks like those macs are really helping

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

apple iface is facial recognition where windows hello (atleast on my winphone) is iris scanning. iris scanning would be harder to defeat w/ a twin, where a twin would largely have the same general face. facial recognition is probably faster which is why apple is using it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you shouldn't use any biometrics if you want to be secure and all of these are opt in afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

Visual Studio question: What makes enterprise edition worth so much more ?

it has additional tools and features for things like testing and debugging and probably some other things. whether they're worth it to you depends entirely on what you're doing and if you want to stick w/ stuff from Microsoft or use 3rd party stuff. like one of the things in enterprise is a data mock tool, but obv you can do data mocking without it. Unless you need a majority of the additional features its prob not worth it.

also its probably the default purchase option for larger orgs so they don't even think about what they're actually getting.