Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It absolutely might? But, like, I can't even figure out whether the essay is trying to allege that or not.

My critique here is almost wholly stylistic. I feel like there's a whole genre of vague complaint writing that I'm not sure how to parse or interpret. It's like vaguebooking meets the essay format.

Bidisha is shocking writer though:

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/bidisha

Her work is to popular feminism what rotthfus is to well written love scenes.

No idea if accusations are true or false or even keen on knowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah with Lin-Manuel Mirana leading the project

there's a quote from him about how the Kingkiller books are the most frequently re-read books in his household or something which tells you a lot about Lin-Manuel Mirana, and his house

Sam Raimi to direct ... is that good? Is it evil dead Sam or transformers Sam?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
the generation ship theory of in story universes

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
animation is the only medium able to capture the depth and feeling of those sex scenes.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
that was a fresh new hell for me so thanks?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
is PR the new GRRM?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Starting my Kvothe fanfic now

In my version, he is even handsomer and sexier, and better than ever with an electric guitar, and also he isn't just a ninja, but also a pirate samurai

Oh, and he total bangs his prostitute friend, but they aren't exclusive

How did you see the plot to book three?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

nankeen posted:

sex for me is like the plucking of a solitary harpstring

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the twang of the frenulum is so melancholy

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Patrick rated it it was amazing · (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-would-blurb
I liked this anthology enough to actually write an introduction for it. Needless to say, that rarely happens.

I was going to drop a review here, then I realized that would be kinda silly, when the introduction I wrote says everything I want to say, much more clearly and cleanly than any quick review I could bang out.

So here it is...

This is a good anthology. Can we start there? Let's start there.

That's really the most important thing you can get out of this introduction. tl;dr - This is a good anthology full of stories that are worth your time and money.

If you want, you can hop directly into reading it. Go on. I won't be offended.

For the rest of you, let me be completely honest and say that when I sat down to read this anthology, I was really nervous.

I really admired Veronica and Tom for putting this anthology together. It's not just a cool idea, it's a vital thing. Anthologies that focus on new writers are really important.

Everyone knows it's hard for new writers to get noticed. Anthologies like this help new authors get their foot in the door, so to speak.

I know this for a fact, because an anthology like this helped get me my start as a writer. When I was published in Writers of the Future back in 2002, it opened up doors for me.

So I admired the hell out of Tom and Veronica for giving new-writers a chance to get a leg up. But at the same time, I when I heard Sword and Laser was putting out an anthology, I was worried for them. What's more, I was worried about the anthology itself.

Why? Because I've read submissions for writing contests. I've read stories at writer's workshops. I've taught writing classes. I've read submissions for a few anthologies myself.

In short, I know how many really awful stories are out there.

That sounds harsh. But it's the simple truth. Bad stories outnumber good ones about 50 to 1. And good stories outnumber great ones about 10 to 1. That's the harsh mathmatics of the situation.

I know this better than anyone. Not just because I've read slush. But because I've *written* awful stories. More awful stories than good ones. Many more.

And because I've acted as editor-in-chief before, if only in a small way, I know that sometimes, after reading 40 bad stories, you throw up your hands and just say, "Fine. gently caress! We need to put *something* in this anthology. That story about the mutant in the woods is good enough."

But who wants to read a story that's just "good enough? Not me. I want stories that are great. I want cleverness. I want wit and language and magic. I want to be surprised. I want to be dazzled.

I want brilliant stories. And I'm guessing you do too.

I was not expecting to get that here. But I did. Some of these stories show brilliance. And not just flashes of brilliance, either. Not just a thin gilding of brilliance over the surface of a clunky tin meh. I'm talking about solid brilliance.

Simply said, I was impressed and pleasantly surprised.

Now am I saying that you'll love every story in here? No. That's a ridiculous expectation. Because everyone enjoys different flavors of story.

And honestly, that's one of the strengths of this anthology. There's enough variety here that no matter what you enjoy, you're probably going to find something to your taste.

Okay. That's enough from me. I'm just the opening band. Quit reading my ramble and check out the real stories.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
it was from a goodreads auto recommendation, swords and lasers or something.

i'm glad it resonated as deeply with you all as much as it did with me

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder if it a lot of the anger with the series would be better if Rothfuss just announced that there would be an additional book to the trilogy to tie up loose ends.

So it would be done by 2070, not 2050? Ill be dead by then mate

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
i really only read this thread to maintain my rage.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

Every fan of these books that I know personally is female.

it's like Gor, for a new generation.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
I just hope there's more fairy sex, so much more fairy sex, m'lady.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Even if nothing's really happening why close it?

It's harmless venting against an average author who also happens to (appear to) be a massive tool and scammer. There's regular traffic in here so clearly some of us enjoy it.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Ccs posted:

Guys like Buehlman are already writing their own better Kingkiller inspired stories with Blacktongue Thief and then there are the outright plagiarizers like RR Virdi. I’m actually curious to read The first binding to find out if it’s actually as much of a rip off as I’ve heard

It is but he has mostly taken the sex creep stuff out (there's some unrequited love and some absolutely fedora wearing romance in it but it's mutual). The quasi Arabian knights / sub-continental background is and ok addition. I think I liked the writing a bit more although it was still ridiculously florid

I enjoyed it as a read but it was plot beat for beat identical. Will read the next one to see what happens as he's essentially almost done the first two kingkiller books plots in one doorstopper.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
vote for keeping it, mocking rothfuss is good for the community

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Part 2: Cookies and Communication

(That’s right, not only a scene break. I’m giving it a subtitle, too.)

Anyone waiting on tenterhooks for book three should be forced to read this, over and over like sisyphus and the rock

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
i love the utter lack of self reflection to say 'I ignore this platform, haven't logged in for a year and now for some reason I'm no longer a star on here?'

cracking stuff, 100% rothfuss

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
First binding is very much kingkiller with a bit of Arabian nights glued on, thing is though the first book has pretty much done all the rothfus material already. It's ok, the female muse character has a bit more agency and the prose is less florid(although not much) and the sex ninja stuff is very minimal.

I didn't mind it but it's almost a cover version rather than a new book in its own right.

Sun eater (empire of silence) is up to book 5 + 4-5 side books, the first is very kingkiller in space but they move into their own thing pretty quickly. I liked a couple of them a lot but overall it's very overwrought, almost Wagnerian and rather cheesy.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Chicken Butt posted:

P. Rothfuss, stoking his beard thoughtfully: Many lesser writers are amazed by, and envious of, my mastery of the obscure literary technique known as “foreshadowing”.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Shivers posted:

Is there some sort of record for biggest gap between releases in a series? Doesn't even matter if it's books, comics ,TV or other media. Rothfuss has gotta be approaching the all-time record right?
And I don't think people who died should count, since they have a valid excuse.

1961 - 1994 Catch 22 and Closing Time, Joseph Heller is a big one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Far be it from me to criticise post on the forum but the sheer amount of words and thoughts devoted to this vaporware series is amazing. It's an unfinished middling fantasy series, it's really only the author being a massive poo poo that gives it any relevance.