Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
That OP is going to trick people in to reading this series.

A human heart posted:

is that really what he looks like

He normally looks like even more of a psychotic cannibal hobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

the old ceremony posted:

never, to this day

You made the right choice.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

the old ceremony posted:

i was introduced to him by my friend, who just told me he was very nice, then later revealed they'd been together and he'd dumped her for not wanting to do bondage

Your friend doesn't sound like a friend.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

StonecutterJoe posted:

Truth, like, Brandon Sanderson? Dude's done a billion things. It's entirely possible to say "Well, I didn't like X and Y, but Z was exactly what I wanted and I'm crazy about it." Lots of genre writers fit that bill. Being a Rothfuss fan means being a Kvothe fan, full stop.

That's not true, they might be fans of sex ninjas and fantasy world calendars and monetary systems. :downs:

But Sanderson is like the anti-Rothfuss. He actually writes, actually enjoys writing, and gives updates constantly for the 4093709445 things he's working on. I don't think he claims to be a feminist either and yet female characters like Shallan and Vin are better written than any female character Rothfuss is going to write.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 9, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rothfuss has said he originally wrote the story in high school, or maybe college, so yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Assuming it's ever released. It might not be. Maybe Rothfuss decides to go into poetry or some other poo poo he's unqualified to do.

He probably thinks his writing style in Slow Regard is poetry.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I like how they had to flee before killing kvothe because the Amyr(?) were on to them, even though the chardrian leader is supposedly unkillable and and insanely powerful Namer on top of that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That first post is either jivjov or Rothfuss himself. The idiotic arguments Rothfuss and his sycophants come up with to defend Slow Regard are truly something else.

And apparently when Kvothe tells Chronicler the 'real story' about himself he's actually lying and saying what Chronicler wants to here! :downs:

Burn reddit to the ground.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kchama posted:

EDIT: OH and then in the middle of the Tarbean section he goes and visits a local storyteller who tells him the True History of the Chandrian, but the dude doesn't get murdered by blue fire. No, an inquisitor takes him away. Because they exist. And basically are never mentioned again, despite Hogwarts being like a couple days travel away.

They're headquartered literally right down the road from not-Hogwarts as well aren't they?

I'm sure Rothfuss cares about poor people, just as he's definitely a feminist like his hero Joss Wheaton. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

A human heart posted:

It's also false.

Maybe that person considers it to be beautiful like a Jackson Pollock painting. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

pakman posted:

Can someone do me a solid and link me the blog posts that prove rothfuss is s garbage human? It had to do with the felurian stuff and good weird rear end views i think.

He wrote erotic fanfic about Devi and Goldberry (Tom Bombadil's wife in LotR). Just google that and you'll be good to go.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PJOmega posted:

He's the gooniest loving goon. I wonder what his screenname is

Aatrek

A true feminist just like his hero Joss Wheton. :patriot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It doesn't matter how the show turns out either. Rothfuss fans and apologists, as well as the legion of people who think Hamilton is awe-inspiring, will hail it as The Show To Watch When GoT Ends regardless.

If we're lucky everyone involved with the project will decide to ham it up, Hercules and Xena style, and we'll end up with another mediocre show like Legend of the Seeker. If we're *really* lucky Rothfuss with throw a fit and demand the show be Game Of Thrones 2: (a beautiful) Game Harder, causing the show to never get produced and Rothfuss to be exposed as the mediocre writer who happened to have a book in the right place at the right time that he is.

But since the show is just based in the world (which lets idiots like Lin-Manuel talk about how wonderful Rothfuss's middle school student D&D campaign-grade worldbuilding is) and lets them actually write stuff, it'll probably get made as long as Rothfuss is just there to get paid more money than he deserves.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Reene posted:

Okay but Xena was amazing and if we got something in the style of Xena it would be awesome. (but we won't because Rothfuss is allergic to writing interesting female characters.)

As long as it's Xena pre-Christian resurrection insanity, sure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That was painful to read.

"How dare you want the third book of this incredibly hyped up trilogy? You DARE question the awkward metaphor lord? You will be cast into the lake of fire!"

Not as painful as the mention that his two lovely books sit atop lists of the best fantasy books ever written.

When someone like Rothfuss is seen as one of the best (fantasy) writers today/ever Trump being president seems only logical because who else would be the most powerful person on earth in such a hosed up reality?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Buzzfeed is the video game journalism of regular journalism.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I just noticed that Buzzfeed list has the Riftwar Cycle as a single entry, while it has two different Robin Hobbs trilogies as their own entries. :psyduck:

Sure, some of the Riftwar books are petty bad (looking at you, Shards of a Broken Crown) but the original Riftwar trilogy is still a solid, if dated, series. Kelewan is also more fleshed out and detailed of a world than the one in Kingkiller and Kelewan isn't even the main setting of the books (except for the Daughter of the Empire trilogy but Feist didn't write those).

Betrayal at Krondor was also a fun game. Buggy as hell though.

HIJK posted:

It's Twilight for boys.

Author is a hack? Check.
Happened to be in the right place at the right time? Check.
Pathetic amounts of wish fulfillment oozes from the books? Check.
Fanfic based on it has become an even bigger hit? ...not yet.

3 out of 4 is close enough.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SpacePig posted:

It might not be a fan fiction, but it's almost certainly a D&D player character story. So that hits the mark close enough.

I was referring to Twilight fanfic (50 Shades of Grey) being bigger than what it was based on and that KKC doesn't have some lovely fanfic-turned-blockbuster yet. Not that KKC is lovely fanfic (it's just lovely).

M_Gargantua posted:

Great game, but so difficult 14 year old me never beat it. Even cheating. This was before google when I could look up a FAQ for which route to take to not instantly get murdered, or what the secret is for a particular odd encounter.

Is that particular encounter the elementals near the end of the game? Because that ended my playthrough as a kid.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I think I've said this before but in a country where Donald Trump was able to be elected president Rothfuss being popular is surprising, it's a perfect fit. Trump makes a bunch of stupid claims that you can see are obviously bullshit with even the slightest bit of thought, and Rothfuss's books are fine if you shut off your brain completely but their wonderful writing quickly reveals itself as horrible garbage if you actually think about it or the story.

Stuporstar posted:

This is on the same level as Gary Gygax claiming Gandalf was a poo poo wizard because he could only cast a level one light spell.

I want to believe this is true because Gygax seems like the kind of turbonerd who wouldn't be able to notice any kinds of magic that isn't literal fireball and lightning tossing. Or that the Istari were prohibited from using their full powers while in Middle Earth because the Valar are lazy assholes who like to make men suffer and struggle against evil (why yes, Tolkien was very religious, how did you guess? :v:).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Are you saying that it's surprising or not? And where's the link to your HuffPo editorial?

Meant to say it isn't surprising.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hey some new posts in the thread I wonder wh...

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I went to bed with the Earl of Stew and let his mouth aroma into the root of my virtue.

:yikes:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

You could say it was a destruction in three parts. :smuggo:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

A human heart posted:

I bet these fantasy publishing guys know what a good book is

Publishers make shovelware game developers look like paragons of quality.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

calandryll posted:

Don't forget him spending 2 years with pirates and then saying you're not interested in that part. But hey several chapters devoted to fairy sex. I don't know why that part pissed me off so much.

Because it's him trying to be edgy and "defying tradition" or whatever other bullshit labels people give him that don't actually apply to his writing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rothfuss, like GRRM, is going to cash that TV/movie check and live off the royalties while blind and naive fans defend him until the heat death of the universe.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ccs posted:

So they're apparently making movies out of this series right? So Rothfuss can just wait for Hollywood writers to make the third books as a TV show for him, then take the bits he likes and write that as the book and say it was his idea all along.

Yes, he is pulling a GRRM.

If we're lucky the movie will be so bad it makes Eragon look like Lord of the Rings.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

didnt she even write a 4th twilight book and then not release it because she got mad about it getting leaked?

IIRC, she was going to write more books too but 50 Shades of Grey basically stole her thunder completely (50 Shades originally being Twilight fanfic is just icing on the cake).

Benson Cunningham posted:

Sam Raimi directed Legend of the Seeker, the TV show 'based' on the Sword of Truth series (fantasy bondage Randism)

There is no more fitting punishment a man like Rothfuss could receive.

It gets credit for trying to emulate the Hercules and Xena camp but it was a bad show. Like, as bad as the late Hercules and Xena seasons where the well of ideas had long since run dry.

...I still watched the entire thing on Netflix. :shepicide:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Real alternative ending: Brandon Sanderson is hired to finish the series.

Nah, let Sanderson finish ASOIF, he could even make it partof the Cosmere to mess with everyone:

Jon Snow is a Returned and Brandon the Builder was actually Susebron.
Varys is actually Hoid.
Euron is a Worldhopper and that's really why he has a bunch of insane poo poo from lands unknown.
Arya becomes a Worldhopper, shows up in Stormlight Archives, and becomes a Skybreaker alongside Szeth as they murder the everloving poo poo out of everything that runs afoul of them.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 3, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dude, that was Kvothe. Not Rothfuss. Kvothe was super duper good at sex with the sex goddess and then she loved him because he was so good at sex with her. But he was also strong, but not totally stronger than her, but still stronger than her because he was strong and good at sex.

When Kvothe got back to not-Hogwarts and ran in to that Naming professor didn't the professor say that Kvothe likely Named Felurian during their initial conflict in the Fae when he called the wind against her?

If so it means she was under his control to some degree which makes the entire section of the book even worse.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

e: ^^^^ Rothfuss also knows gently caress-all about music and it shows, repeatedly, when he writes about it.

People gripe about Sanderson's bad writing in regards to things like sex or alcohol but Rothfuss's musician poo poo with Kvothe is infinitely worse. I think in one scene Kvothe hears music and can't play so he runs out of the room in distress because that's what real musicians do. Only it isn't. Literally nobody but a broke-brained as gently caress person does this. World class musicians don't do this. If anything, they're far more likely to tap along and note when the performer fucks up.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Can anyone explain the actual plot of Wise Man's Fear? Like, what happened and why do we care? As far as I remember:

-He gets hired by the Mayor, mysteriously stops the poisoning, and that qualifies him to murder bandits in the woods

The poisoning thing is probably the only part that made any sense in that section. Kvothe is talking to the alchemist (or whatever they're called) who makes the guy's medicine and sees it's being prepared with a lead (or pewter?) mortar and pestle which makes him realize that the mayor's being poisoned.

Though it'd have turned out to be far, far better if the guy making the medicine was just a colossal moron who was making proper medicine and didn't realize that metals like lead in and of themselves are extremely bad to use for making medicine and not Generic Evil Guy Poisoning Mayor Because Reasons.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 14, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PJOmega posted:

What's astonishing is Lin-Manuel Miranda praising Rothfuss's writing of music. It's loving bizarro world.

Writing a popular stage play doesn't magically make Miranda any less of an idiot. Maybe Miranda is one of those people who was a massive primadonna growing up and would actually throw stupid music tantrums like Kvothe.

Or it's one lucky hack praising another. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Sensibly one of the reasons LMM is taking a whole different story set in the world is that he thinks the world is cool but Rothfuss and Kvothe are awful. There are a ton of little ideas that make for a cool fantasy show under the hood.

There really isn't, it's just a generic fantasy world. The major magic system, Naming, is literally millennia old and dates back to ancient Egypt if not earlier. Pretty sure Horus or Set used True Name powers against another god in one of their myths. The lesser magic seems like something he wrote after binge-watching Full Metal Alchemist. The magic school is literally him ripping off Hogwarts with less effort than Rowling used when copying Gandalf for Dumbledore (among other things).

The worst is the "Rothfuss is such a feminist insanity when his writing is about as awful towards women as you can find. Even Devi's reduced to a "you have something (info) I want? I'll gently caress you for it right here and now for it" caricature at one point. Also that Felurian is, if the "Kvothe named her in their fight" belief is true, a literal sex slave for Kvothe while he's in the Fae.

The only original-ish thing I can think of is the Fae realm's Omniscient rear end in a top hat Tree.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What are you people whining about? We finally know just what Rothfuss has been working on for the past seven years: He's been writing four books, not one. That creative surge is nothing short of astonishing, and I am dismayed by the childish reactions here to this excellent news.

It'd be amusing to see a good writer, or even Rothfuss*, do this. Sanderson's "I was on a long flight and wrote a new Mistborn series" with Alloy of Law is about as close as I can think of for something like it.

"Sorry that book X took so long, oh btw here's books y and z and well. They'll go on sale 2 and 4 weeks from now so you don't kill yourselves binge reading all 3 one after another."

* books y and z would not come out immediately after book x. Or ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

There's no homeless people in Rothfuss's town because he eats them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

A decent writer can make plenty of stories using a remade setting. If you gave Raimi and LMM the basics of one of the D&D campaign settings they'd be able to churn out a ton of poo poo from those. Works with video games too (ie: Betrayal at Krondor). Kingkiller's setting is generic as hell with the only interesting thing being the omniscient rear end in a top hat tree. Its major magic system (Naming) has existed in story telling since ancient Egypt but there's still enough of an established world that others could write endless filler stories to take place in it.

Rothfuss is going to make a stupid amount of money off of these movies that don't actually need him and his setting but think "Kingkiller" being attached will somehow be what makes the movies good or not.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ccs posted:

If only Joe Abercrombie's work could get an adaption with this kind of funding behind it...

But his is less wish fulfillment, more "everybody suffering."

He's not as overrated as Rothfuss (as such a thing isn't possible) but man people sure like First Law as a series that defies expectations (the same thing people think about ASOIAF) despite it being extremely predictable (like the helpful wizard actually being a real selfish/evil rear end in a top hat, or that Glokta was going to get to torture his rear end in a top hat boss) and being about as tropey as possible.

I must've just mentally blocked out that one empire being a Muslim allegory because they were just so comically evil and stupid that I kinda rolled my eyes at them in their entirety.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW why do fantasy novels always fail to have fantasy settings. Its always poorly masqueraded mimicries of the real world. There is always a bunch of brown people with turbans in the east who live in a desert and always people from "the mysterious far east" whoo have curved swords and poo poo

That's not as bad as the fact that most fantasy settings are (far) post-apocalyptic in some fashion, with some ancient advanced race/civilization having existed previously. Comes from the same issue (copying Tolkien and/or not being able to world build without using earth as a template is rough).

Some copying makes sense. It'd be weird to have a desert people who were pasty white, for example, because it'd run counter to the results of living in that environment unless they were a subterranean people. The "this foreigner in my fantasy-Europe comes from the fantasy far-east and uses a katana" is just taking the "it's hard to make a not-earth fantasy setting" to the extremes of laziness.

OTOH even Tolkien literally copied the Book of Genesis for creating Arda and Middle Earth is very much based on Europe.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Oh, I've misread you. Yeah, you are right about that.

One thing I love about Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive is that you can get halfway through the first book, until they describe the look of the Shin people. Who have unusually light skin color and unnaturally round eyes... and you realize that every main character except Szeth (he's Shin) is Asian :woop:

It's not that the Shin are Caucasian (and the rest of the races aren't all Asian-based, just some of them), it's that they're pale-skinned with big :stare: eyes.

The Veden are Caucasian (and all redheads, iirc) though. :eng101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How the flying gently caress is Naming unique? Le Guin did it half a century ago!

VVVV Do poetry instead. Because even "good" fantasy books have awful, wretched poetry.

As I mentioned at some point in the past: The concept of 'Naming' and True Names is literally several thousand years old. Isis learns Ra's true name and uses the power over him to put Horus on the throne in ancient Egyptian mythology.

It is quite possibly the least original kind of magic to use in story telling.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

"I have to wear glasses and that makes me sad."

-Patrick Rothfuss, 2018.

Anyone who thinks they are getting a third book is out of their god damned mind.

We got a third book, complete with a haughty-as-gently caress "if you don't like this book it's because you just don't get it" excuse for Slow Regard being such complete and utter garbage.

Name of the Wind was a fluke, Wise Man's Fear proved it, and Slow Regard for Silent Things made sure to drive the point home.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

We will never get the end to this series. We'll see an end to ASoIaF and Berserk before we get even a hint of this series finishing.

Pretty sure Hunter x Hunter's going to fully explore the Dark Continent before Doors of Stone comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I demand satisfaction!

You won't find it in the rothfuss thread or books.