Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TV Zombie posted:

I do wonder how he got his book deal in the first place...

It was a great pickup for whoever made that signing.
http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/the-sff-all-time-sales-list.html

EDIT: But he won the Writers of the Future Contest in 2002 with the fake-Ruh revenge pieces of Wise Man's Fear, as "The Road to Levinshir", and that got him in front of publishers.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
The thread needs to see this.

quote:

I first read The Name of the Wind a few years after it had come out, and I inhaled it. Afterward, it stayed inside my heart, lighting me from within like a candle flame. It was intricate and beautiful and complex, a tale of two different times, and two very different men: the hero of our story, young and full of confidence, and the person he became in the wake of tragedy. Then, I reread it, recognizing and reliving everything again—and yet, I saw more. I saw that the tales told are the same tale, spun out over and over again in different ways. And it blew me away, this recognition of the way stories shift and change and warp over time. And then I read it a third time, and I saw the details of histories underlying the bones of the modern tale, and the rhymes in the words, and the hints of realities hovering beneath this one.
https://www.tor.com/2017/11/08/why-the-name-of-the-wind-still-resonates-ten-years-later/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Is there a woman in The Name of the Wind whose name is any more or less than 2 syllables?

"Felurian", "Netalia", "Laurian", "Carceret", "Emberlee", "Hetera", "Inyssa", "Meluan", "Meradin", and "Verainia", although none of them are that major a character. Rothfuss loves a 2 syllable name.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Crimpolioni posted:

Why would someone make this

Because they are fans.

Tycho posted:

We called up Pat Rothfuss, who was wasting away at some kind of romance convention, to show him our new strip before it went up. It was important to us that he know it came from a place of love. Gabriel wanted to warn people about spoilers for those who have yet to read A Wise Man’s Fear, or The Name Of The Wind for that matter, but I told him - correctly - that if a person hasn’t read these books yet, they are villains, and we need not concern ourselves with their writhings.

Gabe posted:

Minor spoilers ahead I guess.

I loved The Name of The Wind so much that I actually bought it as a Christmas present for most of the people in my family. From the minute I finished it I was hungry for the next book in the series to come out.

I was lucky enough to get an early copy since we happen to know Patrick but even though I got the book back in March, I just finished it a few days ago. The Wise Man’s Fear is a great book and a satisfying continuation of the story but I gotta say the pacing of it is a bit slow for my taste. The reason it took me so long to read isn’t that the book is about a million pages long, it’s that I read a bunch of other books while I was reading this one. I needed to take breaks but I never lost my interest and so I kept coming back to The Wise Man’s Fear.

I love Kvothe the most when he is out slaying bandits and being rad. The few times that happens in the new book had me literally shouting out loud as I read but I could have done with a lot more. Tycho loves knowing how much money Kvothe has and likes reading pages of Sympathy theory. I want action and while all the sexing in this book was cool, that’s not the sort of action I’m after. I still loved it though and I’ve been dying to draw Kvothe since the first book came out. I had intended the art to be funny but at some point I realised I was just drawing my own sexy Kvothe fan art like the poo poo I make fun of on DeviantArt. Sorry about that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Good news, guys!

quote:

[R]ather than that be the final narrative of the series, it would appear that Kote’s story is part of a larger, presumably even more epic, story that’s just gaining steam.
This isn’t the first time that Rothfuss has mentioned having future books planned in the Kingkiller universe.
https://www.tor.com/2018/03/07/patrick-rothfuss-kingkiller-chronicle-prologue-the-doors-of-stone-book-3/

Also :lol: if you think book 3 is ever coming out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The comments are more or less what you'd expect.

quote:

Hapless Morty and genius mad scientist Rick have traveled to parallel dimensions and other planets, but this might be their most incredible journey yet: They’re going into Dungeons & Dragons in a new comic book crossover miniseries from IDW Publishing and Oni Press. And who better to guide them on their campaign than inveterate D&D player and fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss?
https://www.tor.com/2018/04/09/patrick-rothfuss-rick-and-morty-dungeons-dragons-crossover-comic/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW why do fantasy novels always fail to have fantasy settings.

BTW why do you not kill yourself instead of bitching in every thread from football to books?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

If there are any Cincinnatigoons in the thread, Rothfuss will be at Joseph-Beth Cincinnati tonight starting at 7. Go and ask him about Book 3.

https://www.facebook.com/events/335682280297013/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Check out the table of contents of this C++ language proposal: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2018/p1152r0.html

quote:

Table of Contents
1 Abstract
2 A Syntax of Three Parts
3 The Wise Programmer’s Fear
3.1 Overview
3.2 Proposed changes
3.3 When is volatile useful?
3.4 How we got here
3.4.1 Original intent for volatile in C
3.4.2 C89 intent
3.4.3 Intent in C++
3.5 Current Wording
3.6 Why the proposed changes?
3.6.1 External modification
3.6.2 Compound assignment
3.6.3 volatile qualified member functions
3.6.4 volatile overloads in the Library
3.6.5 volatile atomic
3.6.6 volatile parameters and returns
4 The Slow Regard of Syntactic Things
5 The Doors of Stone
6 Acknowledgements
7 Examples
References
Informative References
Issues Index

EDIT: oh god, it's also in the actual text of the proposal.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 16, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

Seven years is a long time though

Not an empty quote.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I know you* were all waiting** for Rothfuss to tell you to go vote:

https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/1059882211737001985

*Americans
**You weren't

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

How many pages of Rothfuss thread would it take to equal the :words: of Wise Mans Fear?

Roughly 100 (I checked pages 1, 10, and 20 of this thread and the average was around 4000 words per page, although there was massive variance from 3000-5000), since Wise Man's Fear was around 400,000 words per Rothfuss.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tree Dude posted:

Now how many pages of Rothfuss thread would it take to equal the :effort: of Wise Man's Fear?

BOTL's OP probably has as much :effort: as Wise Man's Fear.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Karnegal posted:

For those of us who aren't regular posters in this sub-forum, what happened to BotL?

Check his rap sheet and cross-check his avatar text.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Karnegal posted:

Speaking of harrison bergerone - is it Like a beloved libertarian text? I read it in early high school, but that was a long time ago now, so maybe it wasn't as bad as I recall, but It seems like an ubermensch story

quote:

For a cinematic attack on enforced equality, you could hardly do better than this wonderful film. Harrison Bergeron fully articulates the price of enforced equality, in terms of both lost liberty and of those accomplishments that inequitably great people make possible. Based on a Kurt Vonnegut story, it has an imaginative and thought-provoking quality. This is a moving and stimulating experience, and one of the most dead-on libertarian films ever made.
http://missliberty.com/kurt-vonneguts-harrison-bergeron-1995/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Notahippie posted:

IIRC there's a South Pacific culture that historically didn't make the connection because, it's hypothesized, they ate a lot of a root vegetable with high levels of hormones that may have acted as a low-effectiveness birth control. I don't know if that was ever actually supported, but that was the claim that got tossed around.

Finally loving found it. Trobriand Islands.

quote:

Babies are thought to be the result of magic with no link between sex and pregnancy
'If a girl gets pregnant, her family keeps the baby, because, according to the local custom, men just help to open up the woman to pregnancy - the real father is a Baloma or spirit.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...me-cricket.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trobriand_Islands#Marriage_customs

Doctor Faustine posted:

It’s only deus ex machina if you’re a lovely writer overall, so the solution to that problem isn’t “systemize the gently caress out of magic to the point that anything wondrous, awe-inspiring, or fantastical is sucked out of it.” The solution to that problem is for fantasy writers to stop being poo poo, though I know that’s a tall order for the overwhelming majority of them.

While this seems to be a minority* position in TBB, the position of the systematizing writers is that the more rules their magic adheres to, the more that the magic can be constantly onscreen and active. Not a deus ex machina, because the god is already on the stage, has been on stage the whole time, and for better or worse everyone knows how many elephants the god can lift.

*i.e., one not held by any of the 3 posters that make up more than 50% of TBB posts.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 12, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Doctor Faustine posted:

I understand that is their position, I also think it’s loving stupid and based in the genre mindset that Plot and Worldbuilding are more important than those pesky literary things like creating a mood or reinforcing a theme.

I suspect at least some moods and themes can be created or reinforced without hiding the ball.

But, to take this back to Rothfuss specifically, Temerant has both types of magic at their extremes. Sympathy is pretty logically worked out. Whatever the hell the Chandrian and the Fae are doing is almost completely unexplained. Naming is somewhere in between.

Which type of magic do you find more interesting or think Rothfuss gets more benefit from? I'm not sure Naming is - despite being the source of the title - really moving things forward in an interesting way, and God knows the Fae's magic did very little useful or interesting thus far.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

HIJK posted:

[insert angry screeching about how Robert Jordan is so much better because his books are based off the VIETNAM WAR and it's such a COOLER WAR then WORLD WAR 2]

Tolkien was World War 1, if that helps. That's why Mordor is full of marshes and pits and dead bodies...much like the Western Front in 1916ish.

J.R.R. Tolkien posted:

By 1918 all but one of my close friends were dead.
https://fantastic-writers-and-the-great-war.com/war-experiences/j-r-r-tolkien/

EDIT: also, honestly, for fantasy inspired by Vietnam I prefer Glen Cook. For science fiction inspired by Vietnam I prefer David Drake (honorable mention to Joe Haldeman).

ulmont fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 13, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still don't understand how that defrauding is supposed to work either.

Yeah we worked out a few years back in the prior thread that the explanation just didn’t work if Kvothe was looking to defraud the Maer with the bursar’s collusion and in fact would have less of a chance to go wrong if the bursar just bumped up the number on the invoice to the Maer.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PJOmega posted:

What in the hell is this?

https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2012/07/why-i-love-my-editor/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

But this dread is not as bad as knowing that Rothfuss is going to keep writing and people are going to keep reading his anime fuckboi product

Dude, Rothfuss is not going to publish more than another short story or maybe two....possibly another novella.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kchama posted:

So I'm gonna level with you. The Chandrian barely come up for book two. Like a random bandit lord they murc turns out to be one and missing. And that's literally it. That's all of the actual Chandrian plot. The first like quarter of the book is Wizard Schoolboy Continuation. Then the rest of the book is Being Learned In The Ways of Sex-Having and then Showing Off Sex-Havingness.

You forgot the Cyrano de Bergerac Expy and the Go/Chess-But-Actually-Tak-(A Beautiful Game) Interludes.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PJOmega posted:

And of course seducing his aunt through his ample prose.

That's the Cyrano de Bergerac Expy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PJOmega posted:

It's been awhile but did Cyrano seduce his blood relative?
Somewhat more removed than his aunt, but yes.

quote:

Hercule Savinien Cyrano de Bergerac, a cadet (nobleman serving as a soldier) in the French Army, is a brash, strong-willed man of many talents. In addition to being a remarkable duelist, he is a gifted, joyful poet and is also a musician. However, he has an extremely large nose, which causes him to doubt himself. This doubt prevents him from expressing his love for his distant cousin, the beautiful and intellectual Roxane, as he believes that his ugliness would prevent him the "dream of being loved by even an ugly woman."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrano_de_Bergerac_(play)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

HIJK posted:

Why on earth would anyone think it was a good idea to cobble together a bunch of short stories into a novel. That’s the baffling part. You can’t just convert them into chapters, that’s ridiculous. Come on now Rothfuss

That's actually pretty common and used to be even more common back in the days when science fiction / fantasy magazines full of short stories were more popular. Zelazny had at least 2 (Dilvish, the Damned and My Name is Legion), Bradbury had at least 2 (The Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451), etc.

Note the reference to the work that Rothfuss didn't do very well:

quote:

The name comes from the modifications that the author needs to make in the original texts to make them fit together as though they were a novel. Foreshadowing of events from the later stories may be jammed into an early chapter of the fix-up, and character development may be interleaved throughout the book. Contradictions and inconsistencies between episodes are usually worked out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fix-up

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

HIJK posted:

Still seems like a bad practice but I learned something new today!

Like all writing techniques, if it's done well, you don't notice it. By which I mean if done well you won't realize the novel is a fix-up. If it's done badly, welp.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Most fantasy prose is bad, Rothfuss prose is kind of spectacularly awful, but at least it's spectacular in some sense. If you're used to reading stuff like Harry Potter at least it sticks out.

Also book 1 was better than book 2 and if we had gotten all three in like a five year span nobody would have taken the time to reread 1-2 to the point that all the flaws jumped out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Rime posted:

Wasn't the thread consensus on this scene that it was written before the rest of the novel and hamfistedly reinserted afterwards, because the characterization is completely at odds with the rest of the writing?

Also that it wasn't the first time a short story about Kvothe had been stitched up and put into the book; some of the Tarbean scenes in particular seem very out of place with what happens after that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

eXXon posted:

I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.

quote:

Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift no heavy-rear end weights.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kchama posted:

The second Bujold one doesn't have anything really in common beyond the idea of a mother being late to their own child's birth

In the Bujold universe in question, children are commonly gestated in vats and opening is referred to at least once as decanting.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's from Brave New World.

Did Huxley use the decant term? It's been a while.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"Decanted" is the standard term used throughout BNW, they use it the way we would use "born".

Fair enough.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is this still a reference people get or am I a grognard now?

Grognard. I had to look it up.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Snowmankilla posted:

Ha. I am an idiot. I meant should I read Slow Regard of Silent Things? And thank you for all the recommendations! I will check them out!

No. Slow Regard of Silent Things has all the poo poo parts of Rothfuss’ writing (other than the Kvothe self-insert being great at everything) and nothing interesting. It’s twee for the sake of twee approximately 115% of the time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

It was such trash that even Rothfuss couldn’t deny it so he made that “if you don’t like it the proble is you” :smuggo: commentary to preemptively defend the trash. Of course his fans buy it fully.

The amazing part is that Penny Arcade was there about a decade earlier.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/24/the-adventures-of-twisp-and-catsby

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

The comic itself was aping Kevin Smith having the classic "you can't criticize my art, you're not a writer/director" meltdown.

Yes, I know, I read the corresponding news post in 2004. It applies even more so to the “meltdown ahead of the criticism” afterword of Rothfuss in that “work.”

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

BananaNutkins posted:

I would love to definitively out his charity as scummy, but unfortunately they can hide behind excuses like "We don't even touch most of the money, it goes directly to charity."

You can just go and look at the 990s filed with the IRS. World builders Inc. has an EIN of 90-0618018 and there are several years of returns available (2019 filings are the latest, but I blame some combination of Trump admin and Covid for 2020 not being up yet). In 2018, for example (2019 filing), they had

pre:
483,852 USD in contributions,
  3,594 in investment income,
344,439 in other revenue [merchandise revenue less cost of goods]
And then spent 508K on salaries and 284K on other expenses (accountants, promotion, office expenses, IT, occupancy, travel, insurance, and supplies; none of these jump out except occupancy, and 104K for a year is not much for an office rent). Rothfuss didn’t take a salary.

Now, they do seem to be pretty worthless as a charity since they basically had nothing left over after paying salaries and other expenses, but that’s hardly unusual.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

pentyne posted:

What in the book actually triggered the "welp, time to leave" moment?

It's gonna be stupid, you know, but:

1. The storyteller Skarpi is telling stories at the tavern about heroes and, importantly, the Chandrian.
2. The Inquisition (Justices of Tehlen), not seen before or since, show up and take Skarpi.
3. This all triggers an emotional breakthrough for Kvothe and he moves past the loss of his parents and the troupe and can think about the future again.
4. Which makes him think about the Chandrian, why they cared about his parents, and how he could learn how to get revenge.
5. Hence, the University.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

Which sandman episode was this?

It's the back half of S1E11, "Calliope". Adapted from the comic #17 of the same name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

rollick posted:

I was trying to think of a fantasy series that went years between books and still pulled it off

The Strangest Finch posted:

I'm not sure Glen Cook is planning on continuing the series but he did write a new Black Company book in 2018. Though I guess that wasn't so much to finish the story as it was to add a bit more in the middle of a series already completed. (I'm guessing there, I haven't actually finished that series yet and if it turns out Cook also just neglected to finish it and then returned nearly 20 years later to write a bit of irrelevant fluff in the middle I'll be pretty embarrassed.)

Cook didn't pull it off. That book - Port of Shadows - sucked and made the whole series worse.

But you don't have to just take my word for it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3900237&pagenumber=594&perpage=40&highlight=port+of+shadows#post526965662
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3900237&pagenumber=420&perpage=40&highlight=port+of+shadows#post521179140
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3900237&pagenumber=275&perpage=40&highlight=port+of+shadows#post514858310
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2175822&pagenumber=372&perpage=40&highlight=port+of+shadows#post514770717
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3892702&pagenumber=17&perpage=40&highlight=port+of+shadows#post497337415