Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

eXXon posted:

In book four, mature student Kvothe returns to the university to complete his thesis on the Chandrian but is forced into poorly-paid assistantships to cover his growing tuition fees. Kvothe's advisors prove to be no help as he continues to struggle to find enough extant literature to complete his review chapter. When his first submitted manuscript receives a scathing rejection from referee #2, Kvothe suspects the work of his lifelong nemesis Ambrose - but can he prove it time to publish a paper before his final year of funding runs out?

I'd read it. Mundane stuff in magical places done well could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ccubed posted:

Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea Cycle. A Wizard of Earthsea (1968), The Tombs of Atuan, (1970) and The Farthest Shore (1972), Tehanu (1990), and Tales from Earthsea and The Other Wind (both 2001).

But that's kind of cheating since she's probably the best fantasy (and sci fi) author of all time.
Also each book works as a standalone and the first three make a satisfying arc in their own right. Tehanu is a great addition to the series and makes the first three better, but they don't feel incomplete without it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, when he's done slumming it he just wills himself out of poverty without any issues. He doesn't catch a huge break or anything, just "I'm done being poor now" and off he goes.

The sex ninjas and Felurian are still worse though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

So who's on the throne now?

The throne of what?

Is the University in the area governed by this throne? What about Inquisition City? What about the Mayor's City?

Is the Mayor a vassal of a king? If not, how is he not a king himself? If so, why is this never mentioned?

Are there other kings at all, or just the one?

A major plotline in the second book is an attempt to assassinate the Mayor. Is there a single actual suspect for who might benefit from this and have a motive and might be behind it?

It's genuinely baffling that in a series praised for its worldbuilding, the world seems so... unbuilt.

Well we've got University Town right next to Religion Town which is also Slum and Crime Town.

Also, those two towns are, iirc, in the Commonwealth which doesn't have a king but has ??? while the only named king is the king of Vintas. This is also separate from the Small Kingdoms who I guess are a collection of Kingdoms Rothfuss couldn't be assed to name or think about, so Kvothe could go kill some king nobody gives a poo poo about in bumfuck nowhere.

There is also an Empire at the center of all this but that Emperor does nothing, as far as I can tell, nor does that Empire have any particular military or cultural hegemony over any of its presumed former holdings. Kvothe iirc comes from that central Empire but nobody seems to notice or care and there is zero thought given to any of this.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 10, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also he might have Named her, effectively putting her under his control and making her unable to resist him so... yeah. WMF is a legitimately awful book and anyone who unironically suggests and praises the Kingkiller book either has awful taste in books, truly horrific morals, or both.

Yeah, he either Named her and coerced her into loving him, or we are supposed to accept that the Sex Fairy thought he was so good at sex that he not only deserves to stay and have more sex, but that he would be the first person to survive having sex with her. He was so good at sex that he was literally the best sex the Sex Fairy has ever had. So there's that.

Also the scene where the barmaid somehow recognizes on sight that he's a sexhaver now is just...something else.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If Kvothe had killed the "fake" Ruh because he believed they were fake because of his childhood beliefs that they never committed crimes (because his troupe was killed as a child and he idolized that period of his life) only to find out that they were real Ruh, that might have been interesting. But no, instead Kvothe just murders a bunch of people because they stole an ale and no Ruh would ever do that. But it's OK, he throws up afterwards so you know he felt consequences or something.

And yes, Kvothe gets banned from the library but it does exactly gently caress-all. He's still the best smartest most successful student in the history of students studenting. It's like his being poor: it doesn't actually do anything. We're told he is poor often, but just like Tarbean when he decides to just stop being poor one day and does, he can always do what he wants or needs.

As for the fantasy painkiller: that's another stupid point. The Name of the Wind at least starts to try to tell a story about a larger-than-life figure who actually isn't that larger than life. One of the first examples is how he got the epithet Bloodless, which sounds all cool and badass but the real story is that he took a fantasy plant drug. You're telling me that in a university full of wizard pupils only two people happens to know what it look like when someone under it's influence gets whipped? And that this plant is also somehow available easily and readily enough that our "poor" protagonist can buy it easily and on short notice? The theme of the first book is ostensibly all about puncturing the legend and the second book just turns around and says "yeah, the legend where I spent the night with Felurian and lived is actually way cooler than it first sounds".

Consequences actually have to matter. The biggest one he suffers is that he acts incredibly incel at someone and she rightfully calls him out on it and he is sad for awhile.

E: why are we even talking about Kvothe suffering? He doesn't. He skips blithely through consequences like a rich white man through the legal system and then moans about how hard it is that he only born with one silver spoon in his mouth.

E2: yes he clearly has suffered some kind of consequence by the time he becomes a bartender. How sad for him. If he is responsible for a bunch of horrible poo poo like is occasionally implied, I somehow feel that becoming a bartender with a fae prince thing as your friend isn't actually a consequence.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AngusPodgorny posted:

If Kvothe is an unreliable narrator and the real Edema Ruh aren't as inherently flawless as he claims, am I to conclude that Kvothe didn't actually restrain himself from raping the girls he rescued?

It'd actually explain a lot of the story if the reality is "incel gets magic powers and use them to go on a rape spree," like escaping from the sex fairy, the barmaid suddenly liking him, why everyone he knows now shuns him, etc. Except Bast still hangs around him, but he must be like those guys that idolize Elliott Rogers. Until a third book says otherwise, I think I'm going with this as my interpretation.

Well he debatably raped Felurian, so...