Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

is that really what he looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kchama posted:

Rothfuss wearing that Joss Whedon shirt sureeee takes on a different meaning after the whole revelations that Whedon was never a true believer in feminism and just did it to bone young actresses.

Who could have seen that coming

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

"It's beautifully written" is the lamest, laziest way to praise the book.

It's also false.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Karnegal posted:

"well, Lin-Manuel Miranda is brilliant at music, but he also thinks Patrick Rothfuss can write, so we can't just assume talented people know what the gently caress they're talking about."

I don't think the guy who made a stupid rap musical for dumbass rich people is brilliant at music.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I posted this in the PYF bad book thread not too long ago but my favorite Eragon thing is that large sections of the sequel were dedicated to Paolini jacking himself off about how smart he is for being an atheist, with one particular part having the ancient wise sage dragon explaining to Eragon that there is no afterlife because consciousness is a process of the physical body and there’s no existence outside of that material body.

Paolini was in such a rush to enlighten us that he had apparently forgotten that the villain of the first novel was a necromancer whose powers were derived from the spirits of the dead.

Boy, they should have fired him for that blunder!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Stephen King is wonderful
for me to poop on

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think I've said this before but in a country where Donald Trump was able to be elected president Rothfuss being popular is surprising, it's a perfect fit. Trump makes a bunch of stupid claims that you can see are obviously bullshit with even the slightest bit of thought, and Rothfuss's books are fine if you shut off your brain completely but their wonderful writing quickly reveals itself as horrible garbage if you actually think about it or the story.

Thought provoking stuff OP

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

HIJK posted:

All sci fi is questionable since everything goes back to the 60s and 70s when it was still niche and the geeks writing this stuff didn't feel the need to keep their sexual proclivities under wraps :v: Now we're stuck with this industry where the frathouse behavior is still common but now it's getting greater scrutiny. Which makes it all the more baffling that Rothfuss hasn't been targeted by Twitter outrage to be honest.

Sci fi began in the 1960s and is bad because the authors are sex criminals, and not because they're cretins who can't write. what a blistering hot take

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

latinotwink1997 posted:

This thread is like the written form of that pretentious douche from Good Will Hunting that gets slammed on by Matt Damon. Biggest circle jerk ever with no redeeming discussion on a bad book. Thread should be closed and stop taking up TBB space.

I agree, and the other threads about bad books should also be closed

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I actually really want to read this book. It's got a massive fanbase and it seems...influential is the wrong word but it's got it's hooks in the publishing world. I like dead threads and playing catchup with other goons. :cool:

I bet these fantasy publishing guys know what a good book is

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's no way that anything written by china mieville could fall under the phrase 'genuinely great, not just within the ghetto of the SF/Fantasy genre but in the scope of literature '

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

didnt she even write a 4th twilight book and then not release it because she got mad about it getting leaked?

That makes her smart.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Read The Emperors Soul, if you don't like it you're forever lost to the world and going to claim "Genre fiction is trash" to your deathbed. You'll exclusively read high brow literature and still be constantly disappointed, but at least smugly disappointed, at it.

The joke's on you pal, I exclusively read high brow literature and enjoy every minute of it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

it's badass that a guy wrote very long posts explaining exactly why the bad books were bad and now people on this forum are seized with the chill of death when they try to read the bad books and remember his posts

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I am the one who enjoys Bad™ literature.

that scene in spartacus but its a huge crowd of book barn posters standing up and saying this

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

What's astonishing is Lin-Manuel Miranda praising Rothfuss's writing of music. It's loving bizarro world.

Its not very surprising that two guys who make bad art like each others work

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Habibi posted:

That loving Rothfuss is going to ruin Hamilton for me.

ah gently caress, ah poo poo!!!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ccs posted:

Rothfuss' book topped another list of best fantasy novels (of the 21st century.) https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/04/the-50-best-fantasy-novels-of-the-21st-century.html?p=2

There are a lot of actually good entries on the list, like Perdido Street Station, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and Pratchett's Nightwatch, but somehow BOTH of Rothfuss' books in an incomplete trilogy get higher rankings.

Shocking to hear that a list of bad books has a bad book at the top

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Reminds me of a clickbait 14 Electronic Albums You Need To Hear list I once saw that listed the Kraftwerk debut as an essential recommendation. You know, the one that doesn't feature any synthesizers and was disowned by the band.

The debut actually does have a bit of synth on it, and the first two albums are both good even though the band doesn't like them now.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

If normal people enjoy it it doesn’t get to be important literature.

This is simply false, M_Gargantua

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW why do fantasy novels always fail to have fantasy settings. Its always poorly masqueraded mimicries of the real world. There is always a bunch of brown people with turbans in the east who live in a desert and always people from "the mysterious far east" whoo have curved swords and poo poo

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you want to discuss it in good faith, there are two main reasons why. The first is that unless you speak an East Asian Language at an incredibly proficient level, you're relying on a translator and how good the translation is, and is to you personally, depends on the skill of the translator and the decisions they make. Do they keep idioms as literal as possible and explain them with footnotes? Do they look for an appropriate English idiom that gets the right idea across while sacrificing the flavor that you're actually reading the book for? Do they tone down the content to match the "sensibilities" of a western audience?

The second reason is an extension of the first. Books written in English for a western audience take for granted that the audience will be familiar with references and allusions to the western canon. Likewise, books written in an East Asian language for a specific culture take that for granted as well. Translators have to consider how to approach these and there's no one best way to do it. It usually means that there are going to be a lot of footnotes and outside research put on the reader to get the most out of the story.

So in short, people tend not to read those books just because it turns reading into quite a lot of work. Doing work isn't a justification not to read them, it's just not something a lot of people are going to be interested in doing as a leisurely pastime or while killing time on an airplane.

For another perspective, I'm an English teacher in Asia. I've taught tons of novels to my students and several of these students speak English at near fluent levels. They have zero problem reading the words on the page and getting the gist of what is happening. But they don't understand any of the references to the Bible, TV shows referenced in the text, historical events, or general pop culture. And often times they don't know that they're missing a reference. If a reference is part of an innuendo or double-meaning, the student isn't confused about the literal meaning of the passage and doesn't realize that there's more depth to the story and that they need to look something up. They really need an ambassador of the culture to take them through the novel.

If you're reading in your free time and you don't have access to that, even with the internet at your disposal, I can't begrudge you not wanting to read books where you're not the intended audience. It's certainly more enriching to dig deep into a novel from another culture, but you're basically doing an undergraduate degree to actually enjoy it.

There's a reason why books like "Shogun" are so popular. They give exposure to a foreign culture while being from the perspective of an outsider that the audience can relate to.

its not 'basically doing an undergraduate degree' to pick up the penguin classic ed of a book from china or wherever and read the notes and the introduction

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

it's very hard work to read some basic notes and an essay establishing context for this great book from a culture i'm not intimate with, so instead i'm going to sleep in my big racecar bed and read a james clavell book about the inscrutable oriental.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A Major Fucker posted:

It was a fairly edgy scene, yes, and I give Rothfuss credit for that. But while the rest of the book was believable, that was so improbable it took me out of the story. You can make the excuse that it's fantasy, so anything can happen, but the point is no matter how magical the setting, your characters still need to be believably human, including their young anuses.

I can't find any faults with your reasoning.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

If we wait 100 years, this will be considered literature too. The only difference between literature and genre fiction is age.

Ah, that's completely wrong though

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

My buddy tried starting "Name of the Wind" - he got it for a dollar at some used book store.

I told him it had a lot of hype but I've heard it's not that good. (From these forums but I'm not mentioning SA to people, no sir)

He texted me and told me it sucked and that he was going to read Hemingway instead.

Can you get him to post here instead of you

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I dont feel bad for the guy who made boatloads of money from his stupid fantasy books personally

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

also iirc he didn't luck into it, his parents were publishing industry bigwigs or something like that

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

im glad i dont have the brainworms where i pay attention to allegedly feminist things a fantasy author says

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

One of the Malazan books is called Memories of Ice, so I assume that it's at least as good as One Hundred Years of Solitude.

it would be a lot cooler if it was just a guy reminiscing about reading anna kavan's novel ice

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rime posted:

I wonder how much of the precipitous quality decline of genre fiction post-90's is from the rise of obsessive nerds, the kind of ilk who write articles on wookiepedia or developed Klingon as a language, demanding that their fantasy-land physics absolutely must adhere to modern scientific rigor.

its actually declined because the increasing marginalisation of actual literature and the publishing industry becoming more and more uniform has meant that genre writers now only read older genre works, whereas back in the day some of those guys would have read books that didn't come free in a cereal box at some point even if they wrote pulp.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

goodreads automatic recs are based on stuff you read, if you read a bunch of like european modernism on there then it will recommend you more stuff like that. its not always very useful but you won't get young adult fiction or whatever showing up unless you read that kind of stuff.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I bet tolkien was happy about ww1 in the long run because, well, how else would he have been able to come up with the idea of an evil swamp?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the guys who writes the game of thrones books is bad at writing. this shocks you!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Because he's confused knowing the definitions of words like canard or zeitgeist with the ability to produce relevant literary criticism.

what's relevant literary criticism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Have you ever done that thing where you put your hands together and make fart noises?

Basically that, but about books.

are you just pretending to be stupid or what