Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Come And See posted:

"My parents breathed humor and forgotten songs. I was robbed of these things before I was extraordinarily interesting."

This is actually great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Look he is a feminist because he said he is, and because Kvothe got magically drunk but wasn't a rapist while drunk. Or drugged, or whatever.

I'm guessing you read BotL's walkthrough? I can try to find it if you haven't.

I'd like to read that if you have it handy

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

HIJK posted:

do you mean the aunt's abusive boyfriend?

I think he means the guy who works for IOI as a pop culture expert, the guy who the redhead lady kisses at the end for no reason

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Bravest, critique the second book

all over again

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

seventh: balls, too

Do the second book

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So what’s it gonna take to get an analysis of the second book in here

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Karnegal posted:

Not sure if this is a joke post or not - in that a LOT of discussion of that book has happened in this thread and the previous one. What exactly are you looking for here?

a BOTL-tier blow-by-blow of the whole thing

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yikes he ate another month

well yeah hopefully when he's back he can name a suitable price

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

You should review the second book now that your perceptions have shifted BOTL

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

HIJK posted:

Like I said in the past: it’s Twilight for boys. Rothfuss has decent enough prose that he can trick people into thinking that they’re reading something good, and he has some legitimate potential, but his execution is rough.

It’s weird how cults spring up around these pulpy fiction novels. My ex is not the first person I’ve met that’s tied a lot of his nerd identity into the “Rothfuss is a great writer” canard. The thing is, I don’t think even Rothfuss would agree with how shrill and defensive his fans can get.

I once disrespected Nickelback on a second date with a lady who it turned out loved them so I want you to know I appreciate this tale

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

What is a jot anyway

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

not nearly silent enough

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kchama posted:

Also I like how there's so much terrible sex stuff in Rothfuss's books and everyone is more willing to talk about Anita's Blake sex stuff instead.

Well she appears to actually want to write books at least, so

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kvothe on Showtime? Nevermore.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

imagine spawning a chronicle after killing the king, what a wild idea

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

https://twitch.tv/patrickrothfuss

Reading the prologue of book 3 and doing a Q&A, allegedly

e: not watching but he appears to have moved the cheerios boxes

mp5 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 14, 2021

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So that was the prologue, which was all that was read today.

Recently he'd made some sort of wager saying "if worldbuilders hits $333,333 before i kill the Ender Dragon in Minecraft, I'll release the prologue, a chapter, and another 'special surprise'"
https://clips.twitch.tv/AbrasiveFairTomato4Head-Y_-x_D5GBqMML4HD

Charity goal was crushed, naturally, and today he...read just the prologue and put the other chapter behind another charity stretch goal. As far as I know nobody has any idea what the "special surprise" ever was, which checks out.

The grift here is awe-inspiring even having checked in on this thread for years. It's just Kickstarter But For Other Existing Charities!!!!!

mp5 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 15, 2021

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

BananaNutkins posted:

The Myst novelization being put on par with Ursula K. Leguin is preposterous

Yeah I really liked that book but I was also about 10 years old and nobody that age has good taste

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

If the Barkley 2 thread in Games can stay open this one can

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

that Anthony Bourdain segment from The Big Short about re-using old halibut is paying dividends again

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

a law in three parts

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

pentyne posted:

Anyone trying to pick book 1 and read it is going to tag Kvothe as an pseudo-incel and probably drop the book when everything goes right for him no matter what.

This was more or less my experience when I tried to read NOTW a few years back; I think I made at a little over halfway through before it went back to the library.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

lukevictorious posted:

I can try and effort post this but I don't have the analytical skills of BotL or the wit and humor of the guy who did the WMF read on his blog that pops up here.

80% of success is just showing up

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

god, of course he claims to be a homebrew mead guy

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

PJOmega posted:

Honestly I don't know which is worse, that he wrote that and published it on his blog unironically or that there are only a few responses that mildly rebuke it.

Logging into those blog post sites is always a pain in the rear end so only the really dedicated people will do it

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

gave himself a nickname out of it too

very cringe to give yourself a nickname

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ol’ Five String Fingerblaster Kvothe is just that drat good I guess, wow

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I was thinking back on the whole string-breaking thing and I'm pretty sure I know what Rothfuss was watching for inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKf-mU6QrJs

Except Kvothe has to do it cooler so he just keeps playing

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

9am, standing in front of the spring Critical Thinking And Writing section I’m lecturing, mad that I didn’t get to sleep in today after playing Fallout 4 all night the night before. how would Joss Whedon handle this, I wonder to myself

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Boy one recap and it’s already defeated the recapper, Pat claims another one

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kchama posted:

He didn't even GET to the recap! He was defeated the FOREWORD.

The foreword was the real Kingkiller all along

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Goffer posted:

That's text as written currently in the 2 books, you can draw your own conclusions, but I would have thought it obvious he's suffering the consequences of what he has done on page 1 of book 1. I thought that would be pretty understandable but apparently this whole thread is somehow just... made to troll me?

you have misread the thread almost as severely as you have misread the series the thread is centered on

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah if the story had just stalled there for 10+ years it would suck pretty bad dawg

Anyway we've had cinemasins, dune, and now star wars, did you want to pivot to the MCU or lord of the rings next

mp5 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 18, 2024

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Anakin learns the true secrets of sex in the cave on dagobah but despite months of training he can never land Padme and she just adopts

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't know why you are all arguing with Goffer because Goffer has yet to present an argument that Kingkiller Chronicle is salvageable much less good.

I just love comparing pop culture properties to genre fiction

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Chicken Butt posted:

I can’t believe this thread finally roped in an actual living breathing Rothfuss fan. Clearly, this is the spice that we were missing.

Jivjov has been too busy to post here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I think I made it about 2/3rds through NOTW

Atlas Hugged posted:

It was the first and last book I bought at the recommendation of Penny Arcade.

When you are most definitely a critically thinking reader (edit: their stupid comic is 3 separate images for some reason so here's the stupid URL):

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/04/11/when-larry-met-mary

mp5 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 20, 2024