Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Web Page

The website posted:

Escape from Tarkov is a hardcore and realistic online first-person action RPG/Simulator with MMO features and a story-driven walkthrough.

With each passing day the situation in the Norvinsk region grows more and more complicated. Incessant warfare in Tarkov has sparked massive panic; the local population has fled the city, but those who stayed are looking to improve their fortunes at the expense of others. Having accepted the new reality, savage Tarkov locals - "Scavs" flocked into well-armed gangs and started the redivision of the city. Nowadays, Tarkov is separated by unseen borders, controlled by different groups. Gain-greedy gunmen would go to any length to have their way, including the murder of civilians and direct confrontation with the two private military companies.

The players will have to experience living in the skin of one of the mercenaries who survived the initial stage of the Tarkov conflict. After choosing one of the sides – USEC or BEAR – the player’s character starts to make his way out of the city. Tarkov is sealed off by UN and Russian military, supply chains are cut, communication with operational command is lost, and in these conditions everyone has to make his own choices of what to do and how to get out of the chaos-ridden metropolis.

What the gently caress is Escape from Tarkov?
Escape from Tarkov is a multiplayer FPS. You play as a former PMC operator, either a BEAR (Russia) or USEC (Not-Russia). In it's current form, you go on Raids, where you start on one of end of a map, and have to work your way across to an extraction point (or points) on the other end. Along the way, you'll fight with other PMC's, as well as Scavs (both AI and player), all seeking to steal your sweet, sweet gear. You go into a raid with whatever gear you bring from your stash, anything from a knife to an M4. Whatever you make it out with, you get to keep. The flip-side is that if you die in the raid, whatever you took in with you is (probably) lost.

So is it STALKER?
No. There aren't any anomalies, and there is no radiation at present. The only monster is you, you horrible person.

Is it Early Access poo poo that's probably going to never be done?
Maybe! Right now EfT is in a closed beta phase. If you pre-order any of the tiers, you get access. It's somewhat barebones right now with new features being added about every month (quest system was just recently introduced, new guns and new maps coming soon).

Pre-order tiers?
Right now there are 4 Pre-order tiers ranging from $44.99 up to $139.99. Originally, different tiers gave you shots at early access, but we're past that now. The primary difference between the tiers at present is your stash size (where you store gear between raids, or that you aren't taking with you). Right now, pre-ordering is the only way to get a bigger stash. You also get a hatchet and some more starting money and stuff.

Tell me more about Gameplay!
So, as stated earlier - you start at one end of the map and need to make your way to an extraction. Along the way you will get into (or avoid, if you are sneaky) firefights with other players (number varies per map) as well as AI Scavs (think bandits in STALKER). In addition, players can take on the role of Scavs, which gives them a random set of starting gear and the objective of killing you and taking your sweet, sweet rubles.

Before you go on a raid, you'll equip your PMC with gear from your stash. This gear can be acquired in previous raids, or bought from one of the in-game merchants. You can customize your guns (a lot), pick different types of ammo, don body armor and helmets, and bring in first aid kits to aid in your survival. Survival in Tarkov is the hard part. The damage system is pretty brutal, and a single shot from a high-powered rifle can 1-shot you (even through a helmet). The best tactics involve moving slow, listening to your environment, and being cautious. You can group up with up to five other players (no in-game VOIP at this time, but there is an official Discord server). Even in a group, communication and situational awareness are key, as friendly-fire can be quite deadly. Gunfights can sometimes be long, drawn-out affairs with both sides firing from cover, or they can be over brutally quickly.

A group of kitted-out players can get taken out by a guy with a Makarov, and RGD-5 Grenade and a dream if they aren't careful.

Before the raid, you have the option to insure your gear. If you die in the raid, and nobody takes your gear and extracts, it will be returned to you in 12-48 hours (depending on who you used to insure it. Cheaper insurance = longer return time). You also have a "Secure Container" which retains its contents on your death and cannot be looted. Higher pre-order tiers get a bigger container (2x2 for the lowest, 3x2 for the mid-grade, and 3x3 for the top-end). This is usually used to keep things like keys, or other rare loot in.

As a PMC, you have different skills and attributes ranging from your expertise with certain weapons platforms (AK, M4, etc...) to your metabolism, strength, and stamina. These will level up as you play and make you able to do things like run faster for longer, or get dehydrated more slowly and be less likely to get broken bones or bleeding from gunshots (yes, you can get an arm broken by taking a load of buckshot).

What makes this game unique?
Probably nothing, but it's fun! Guns, and gunplay in Tarkov, are fairly realistic. You can modify a lot of different parts of your gun, depending on the model. Everything from swapping out pistol grips on an M4, to changing the handguard on an AK-74 for one with rails so you can be tacticool, to selling the grips off your pistol to buy more bullets. You can build some pretty goofy poo poo, like shotguns with 7 tactical lights so you can melt the eyes of your enemies in close-quarters fights. Guns are fairly realistically modeled, meaning your M4 won't work without a gas block, and your AK will work without a dust cover.

Much like R6 Siege, sound in Tarkov is very important for determining everything from where the dude walking around in the same building is you as, to what kind of guns are involved in a distant gunfight ("Is it scavs fighting scavs, or are those PMC's with suppressed M4's clearing a building?")

Here is a video on gun customization:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31RbT2c2F9E

What's the final product supposed to look like?
The vision the developers seem to have is a bit more story-driven than it is right now, with your character making their way through a series of interconnected maps and trying to escape from Tarkov. Once you finish the story, there will also be multiplayer in its current form. Furthermore, they intend to add things like persistence of injuries between games (get shot in the leg? You'll need to go back to your hideout and fix it up before you get back in the field). Speaking of, you'll eventually have a hideout which you expand/customize through looting and performing tasks in games, adding things like larger storage capacity, increased medical capabilities, etc...

Here is a gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWYlw-EzEI

If you want to watch some Streamers, these are two popular ones:
https://go.twitch.tv/kotton
https://go.twitch.tv/klean_uppguy

Official Discord Channel (good for finding folks to play with):
https://discordapp.com/invite/0olC1YFQN4mTFCAZ

Goon Discord:
https://discord.gg/G4GHD35

More Media:

Media Page

Knifegrab posted:

I seriously do not understand this game. I don't understand the structure of rounds, I don't understand who is and isn't a player, I don't understand where I have to go or what I have to do, I don't understand how players aren't always just going to cap the single exit point (that is still a mystery to me on most maps).

I feel like I must be missing so much.

http://www.escapefromtarkovmaps.com/

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Reminder that Nikita has never experienced lag or desync or frame drops in Tarkov for a single second and he never will because he refuses to play until it's "finished"

Akion fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Frequently Asked Questions:

Some newb posted:

I died, but I didn't get my insured stuff back. What gives?

Insurance in Tarkov works thusly:
1.) You insure your stuff via either Prapor or The Rapist. Prapor = cheaper, but longer return window. Rapist = more expensive, but your stuff comes back faster.
2.) You die a horrible and untimely death because you forgot to check your corners and slice the pie (or your friend shot you in the dick).
3.) After 12-24 hours, any insured items that were not taken out of the raid by another player are returned. If someone loots your stuff and extracts with it, you ain't getting it back.
4.) You have 12-24 hours to claim your stuff from insurance (in your messages window) before it's gone.

Some newb posted:

I'm poor and bought the basic edition. Now I've bootstrapped myself up to wealth and want to upgrade. Do I lose all my stuff? Do I get a discount?

If you upgrade, you receive a discount in the amount of your previous version. However, for the upgrade to take hold (bigger stash, bigger secure container) you have to reset your account through the website. This resets all your stats, inventory, levels, traders, etc...

HOWEVER! If you have stuff out in insurance land, you can get it back. So you can insure a bunch of stuff, go throw it in a bush, then reset and you might get it back (assuming nobody finds it) after the reset.

Some newb posted:

How do I avoid the wrath of the banhammer?

Don't cheat, don't glitch knowingly. DO NOT RUN CHEATENGINE! Even if it's not hooked into the EfT process you will get banned and cannot appeal. If it's loaded into memory, you hosed.

Some slow newb posted:

HALP! My character is moving really slowly

Use your scroll wheel on your mouse to dynamically adjust your movement speed. Louder = faster.

Here is a good video on movement.

Some clueless newb posted:

How do I toggle my light/laser/alternate sight?

Here are the extra control items not listed in the menu:

Chamber Check - Shift + T
Mag Check - ALT + T
Inspect - L
Light - T
NVG - N
Laser/Device - CTRL + T
Variable Optics - CTRL + RMB
Variable Zoom - ALT + RMB
Incremental Crouch - C + Mousewheel
Dynamic Crouch - ALT + W/S
Sidestep - ALT - Q/E
Dynamic Lean - ALT + A/D
Incremental Speed - Mousewheel
Caps Lock is Min/Max speed
Free Look - MMB
Grenade - G (quickthrow) or hotbar
Fire Mode - B (inspect weapon if you're not sure)
Left Alt + L: Fold/unfold buttstock (if available)
Left Alt + RMB: Change optic reticle/zoom (if available)
Left Alt + W/S: Blindfire above or to the right
Special Action Modifier + RMB: Switch to backup optic (if available)
Melee button double tap: Quick melee, but basically useless. Just so you know what's happening if you're trying to switch to melee too fast.
Mumble button (F1 by Default): Contextual voice line
Mumble button double tap (F1 by Default): Open comms rose (right click on a voice line to hotbar it to your function keys)

Some keyless newb posted:

What keys are worth keeping?
In order of importance:
Factory Key: Opens the shortcut by the gas station on Customs, allowing you to bypass the checkpoint. Also opens two additional exits on Factory.
Marked Key: Opens the "Marked Room" in 3-story dorms on Customs. Has a high chance to spawn weapons, docs cases, etc...
Guard Desk Key: Opens the reception office in 2-story dorms on Customs. Spawns guns, other rare loot.
206 Key (Blue Handle): Opens room 206 in 2 story dorms, needed for Therapists quest.
218 Key: Has a chance to spawn a gun.
308 Key: Has a chance to spawn a gun.
Checkpoint Key: Opens the guardhouse at the checkpoint on Customs, spawns guns sometimes.
Customs Key: Opens the customs office on the 2nd floor of the big red warehouse, near the spawn area of customs. Has a safe, lootable computers, and needed for a quest.
Machinery Key: Yellow-handled car key. Opens the white truck cab in the construction area of customs, which is needed for an early Prapor quest.
ZB-104 Key: Woods. Opens a bunker with locker crates and possible weapon/60rd mag spawn.
2-story Dorms rooms with safes - 105, 110, 114. The only safe in 3-story is in 214.

mellowjournalism posted:

Off the top of my head:

Always keep:
Gold Chain [7x]: Fort armor
Roler (gold rolex) [+ 4 Gold Chain]: Money case
Filter (for gas mask): M4 drum mag
Circuit [2x]: M4 60rd mag
Graphics Card [+ ES Lamp]: trizip
USB Drive
Gas Analyzer
Tushonka (red squat cans with two cows on label)

Mid level stockpile:
Hard drive [2x]: AKN 60rd mag
Geiger Counters - Silenced Makarov/drum mags
4 semiauto shotguns (MP153) - CQB M4

Low level stockpile:
10 Brown handled knives: MP5
2 Toolsets: AKN
ES Lamp: Grenades

The overwhelming majority of trades offered by the vendors suck. Even the low/mid level stockpiles are questionable, especially if you have the standard edition. The time and space wasted stockpiling and rearranging poo poo is much better spent just leveling so you can just buy the stuff you need. 4 grey handled knives for a 226 is not even remotely worth your trouble.

Keep in mind Therapist 4 sells IFAKs/Morphine/Geiger Counters/Toolsets, Prapor 4 sells Toolsets, Skier 3 sells trizips, and Skier 4 sells AKN 60rd mags and Kivers.

LuciferMorningstar made a helpful Newbie Guide here:

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I wrote too many words about playing this game. Link here. Most of the non-opinion stuff should be reasonably accurate and I think I've appropriately identified stuff the patch may change.

Akion fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 7, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I would very much like this game to be good, but no way in hell am I paying into an early-access, tacticol, survivalist shooter. Again.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
So... Am I 100% likely to regret this, or only 99% likely?

I swear I heard about this somewhere before and it involved some asinine microtransaction scheme. Am I making this up?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Do not currently buy this game.

It has the best shooting and movement feel I have ever seen in a shooter, and when you have a good match it's like nothing else. But it is non-functional from a networking and bug perspective around half the time right now, and is not currently worth your money.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Orv posted:

Do not currently buy this game.

It has the best shooting and movement feel I have ever seen in a shooter, and when you have a good match it's like nothing else. But it is non-functional from a networking and bug perspective around half the time right now, and is not currently worth your money.

Can confirm. My buddy and his girlfriend both play this and were recently asking me about finding cheap RAM because the game was using around 12-16GB within about an hour. This started over a month ago and doesn't seem to have been fixed yet. I helped them with a quick fix - just using a page file on their SSDs - and when she posted about it on Reddit, people were bitching her out because "lol who doesn't have 16-32 GB of RAM?"

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Posting in the thread, because I was told to do so. Echo waiting for it to get out of early beta/early access.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

So... Am I 100% likely to regret this, or only 99% likely?

I swear I heard about this somewhere before and it involved some asinine microtransaction scheme. Am I making this up?

99%. No microtransactions at this time, and the devs have stated there never will be but take that for what it's worth since others have done the same.

I feel like it's pretty fun. I'm running on an i7, 16GB of RAM, GTX 1060 and an SSD and haven't had any performance/networking issues, and surprisingly few bugs for what is really still an Alpha.

That said, lots of people do experience desync, or some other issues such as stuttering/memory leaks. The devs recently stated they're shifting their focus to resolving these issues.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I find it incredibly difficult to believe you've never seen any kind of desync at all, but hey, maybe you're the lucky one in however many.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Orv posted:

I find it incredibly difficult to believe you've never seen any kind of desync at all, but hey, maybe you're the lucky one in however many.

How bad are we talking? Functionally unplayable?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Some folks seem to get it pretty bad periodically. For me, if it's ever happened, I've never noticed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

How bad are we talking? Functionally unplayable?

It ranges from bullets don't register, to a magical adventure I had a couple times. A friend and I were trying to extract (leave the match successfully, your gear that you've gotten goes to your stash) and the server desynced so bad that we were seeing things several minutes behind. I ran down into a bunker area to extract, and at the same time on his screen I was still running around looting things outside. It took almost ten minutes for the server to catch up and let us out. That is the most egregious form of desync that the game serves up, and I've only had it three times in a couple hundred matches, but bullets not doing damage is fairly frequent, probably one in fifteen of my deaths can be attributed to it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
it sucks because everything else about the game is pretty cool and i've played too much Stalker/red orchestra to just sit on the gunplay and inventory management alone

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I was real excited when this was first announced, only to realise it's yet another battle royale game.

I haven't been able to find anything close to a STALKER like game ever since the last one, makes me real sad. I hope they modify this to include some sort of pve mode.

As far as a battle royale game, it looks ok, I do enjoy the AI also playing the role of "players", so you don't quite know whether to take them seriously or not.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 8, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

BobbyBaudoin posted:

I was real excited when this was first announced, only to realise it's yet another battle royale game.

I haven't been able to find anything close to a STALKER like game ever since the last one, makes me real sad. I hope they modify this to include some sort of pve mode.

It's not in the slightest a battle royale game, though you can kind of emulate that.

Basically everyone has an out of match stash of gear, and you can either load into a match with some of that gear or nothing but a melee weapon. If you opt for the melee only route maybe you'll get lucky (unlikely right now, the AI enemies are super lethal) and get some gear and escape or kill more people with, maybe you won't. If you escape with more or the same gear, you get to use it again until you lose it. The primary antagonist (depending on the map to some extent) are AI enemies, scavs, that have low to middling quality gear, while there's a limited number of players also trying to kill scavs for loot or get out with loot they found in the map.

Maps range from 6-9 players per match and 10 to 25 scavs. Scavs respawn in a wave system, six waves over an hour, some maps have longer timers than others.

To add a final wrinkle, some time into each match, player scavs, players with randomised equipment and an AI skin, spawn in and can either extract the gear they start with, attempt to kill AI scavs or players for theirs, or whatever they want to do. Generally be a nuisance.

It's a very satisfying feeling to go into a raid with nothing but a pistol or a shotgun and come out with two M4s and a backpack full of loot and guns.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

De sync used to be unplayable when Australia connected to Russia but now that there is an Australian data centre it's patched up pretty well now. I occasionally see some rubber banding or weird movement but I am using a power line adapter and usually get that anyway in most games and has almost never actually affected combat. It has basically become a non issue for me.

The game is ridiculously fun and I would definitely recommend it to Australians since it seems to work alright here. I have a cutting edge PC for 2 years ago and it runs fine.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Orv posted:

good words about the game

How long is the average match? How obvious is the extract? Do people try to camp extracts?

What's the flow like? Is it pretty campy or do you have an incentive to keep moving?

Orv
May 4, 2011

How long is the average match? How obvious is the extract? Do people try to camp extracts?

What's the flow like? Is it pretty campy or do you have an incentive to keep moving?

In order then;

It depends on the map. Factory is a slightly bigger than CoD level interior only map, six players, around ten scavs and eventual player scavs. It's over pretty quick even if one person kills everyone else and loots the whole map. The other three maps can take a lot longer, with a long, full check of the map Customs, an industrial/shipping area taking around forty five minutes. Woods, as the name suggests and Shoreline, see previous, take around twenty five to thirty. You can cut down significantly on all of these, and I've had plenty of Customs runs in the ten to fifteen minute range if I nab some great gun off another player and book it.

Extracts pop up a nice big notification when you get in them and then it takes eight seconds of sitting around grinding your teeth to get out. They aren't marked in any obvious way, and your best bet is to look at the community made maps for anything map related.

Sometimes, mostly on Factory and the occasional times on other maps, but not nearly as much as you'd think given that it can be nearly risk free loot if done right.

You've got an incentive to keep moving (scavs respawn with very little care for player position, your hydration/satiation goes away and will eventually kill you if you didn't bring/find food/drink) and it's less about camping corners and more about gun fights bogging down. A shootout in an interior area can turn into a slow, agonizing thing of creeping around or blindly throwing grenades around corners that takes forever to resolve, but it's pretty rare for someone to post up and wait for people. All the players spawn in a fairly small area on the bigger maps, with the exits at the other end, so it's all very much "Am I rushing to be first and get the uncontested loot or am I playing it slower to catch people doing the first?"

E: Customs map to visualize it a little better.

Everyone spawns on the west end of the map and the exits are all on the east and south east sides.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 8, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Matches last until you leave but generally have a 1-2 hour time limit until you are 'MIA' and essentially die.

The maps mostly aren't done yet and have been expanded periodically, so sometimes the extraction isn't telegraphed at all (WOODS). It's always in the same places though and is generally opposite side of the level of where you start. Factory though for example has a big exit sign over the door out, but there's no HUD element to aid you in finding the way out.

Camping extracts is a feature, but generally isn't done for various reasons (e.g. If you are discovered its kind of hard to save yourself from a grenade).

The flow varies, sometimes it's a non stop firefight all the way and other times its much more chill. It really depends on the other players. In the absence of players it's a nice but tense stroll checking corners for AI and scoping out general AI spawns and picking them off.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
You're selling me on the game Orv, think I got a bad impression from watching a few minutes of streaming. Sounds much more interesting than I thought.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BobbyBaudoin posted:

You're selling me on the game Orv, think I got a bad impression from watching a few minutes of streaming. Sounds much more interesting than I thought.

The more I play it the more I like it, even when I have a bad time because of some technical issue I'm always back at it the next day. It's easily in my three favorite non-traditional (read: CoD/Battlefield/CS style games) shooter experiences ever, if I were to really put much thought into those kinds of lists regularly, which I typically don't.

I just want to stress a couple things, despite that glowing and genuine recommendation of the game.

Currently there are four purchase packages. $45 (+VAT or whatever) will get you access to the game in perpetuity, less DLCs they're planning on releasing. Unfortunately it will also get you an insanely small stash size (something they have recently said they'll be changing soon, but soon with BSG is very relative) that can hold a few guns and barely any armor or anything else between matches. While it's possible to play the game and have fun with that, it's going to be more of a subsistence lifestyle than someone who pays more for a higher package and stash size. You're going to live gun to gun, maybe with a couple backups, or eventually when you get the game down, your stash will be filled with an ever changing amount of money (money is an inventory item in Tarkov) as you buy a new gun each time you die. The way they're handling the packages is Russian as gently caress and absolutely my least favorite, and utterly unrecommendable part of the game.

The technical issues are numerous. Even if you don't experience much desync, crashes, map loading issues, the game simply taking an absurd amount of RAM to run, being unable to interact with things after opening doors, all kinds of things can gently caress up your day and cost you hard earned loot. They're not an all the time thing, but they are frequent enough that if you can't tolerate jank in a non-free product, stay away.

Finally, Tarkov is loving brutal. Scavs are currently super overtuned right now (the devs change their level of skill with pretty much every patch) and will happily kill you before you even know they're there, through bushes as well. Even if the scavs don't get you, combat is hyper-lethal and without armor (and even with with some of the more powerful guns) you will go down in a few rounds to a pistol blowing out one of your legs, since everyone, including scavs, just shoot legs to avoid armor. It took me a long time to get to a place where I was going 50/50 on extracts/deaths, and even on a good day I'm still losing a lot of money/resources to that good old RO style "Oh I'm dead" kind of death.

If you're still intrigued despite all that, I would very cautiously recommend the game, just be aware that that money is super gone once you spend it. Oh and if you have ever used or currently have Cheat Engine installed on your machine, don't run it any Windows session you intend to run Tarkov, even if it never hooks in they will ban you for it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 8, 2017

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I gotta agree with Orv on the way packages work being lame. As a side note to that, if you start out with the basic version and decide to upgrade, they do discount it by the price of your previous version.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

One thing you should know about that is if you do upgrade your game during the beta it wipes your character, so probably want to wait until they do an actual wipe of everyone before doing it.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 8, 2017

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

AbortRetryFail posted:

One thing you should know about that is if you do upgrade your game during the beta it wipes your character, so probably want to wait until they do an actual wipe of everyone before doing it.

It doesn't automatically wipe you. You have to manually wipe your account for the upgrade to happen.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.
I was having fun playing this with my friend until they banned him for "cheating" and basically told him to gently caress off

so there's that

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
They have a pretty strict zero tolerance policy on that. If cheat engine is running, you will get banned and there is no appealing.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh there's finally a Tarkov thread, yay!

Orv basically hits the nail on the head. We've had wildly varying enjoyment with the game from patch to patch and day to day. I bought the "poverty" edition ($45 for an early access game is poverty now :wtc: ) and I'd say I've gotten plenty of fun out of it. It scratches that janky Russian shooter itch real fuckin' good. Unfortunately actual game performance is a loving rollercoaster sometimes, between the netcode (especially janky at the start of rounds on any map besides 'Factory') or the game using 12 GB of memory within minutes.

I don't mean to self-promote but I stream the game fairly often. If you want to get a good idea of average gameplay then I have shitloads of VoDs of the game.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I literally cannot stop making bad financial decisions when janky survival-type games are involved, so I bought and played a few rounds. Some comments...

1. Don't take anything but your knife with you on your first runs. You're probably going to get brutally murdered over and over and lose everything. I managed to ambush a scav guy with my knife and took all his poo poo, so that's what I'd advise doing until you know what you're doing.

2. Looting is kind of involved. Any time you open a container (a box on the ground, some dude's pants, whatever), you wait for a progress bar to fill while you "search" the container. Then, anything in there you haven't seen before has to get examined, which is another progress bar. Mildly stressful when you're trying to go through a victim's gear while gunshots ring out nearby.

3. This is not a game for you if you can't cope with the idea of people spawning in with better stuff than you. I've played four rounds, and in four rounds I've been killed by other players who brought in more than I did. I think this is a good structural mechanic and provides a nice gameplay loop, but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea.

E: Absolutely has technical issues, though. Gameplay hasn't been fine for me so far, but whether I can launch the game is up to chance.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 8, 2017

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You should go through the traders and examine all the poo poo they sell there so you don't get stuck examining so many things in-raid. Also as a heads up you don't ever lose your melee weapon, even if someone takes it. So if you are like me and don't have the EOD version of the game and find some hatchet on a dude, drop your knife and take the hatchet.

A lot of the fun in the game for me comes from going in with nothing/some poo poo shovel gun and coming out armed to the teeth.

edit: don't sell poo poo to Fence unless absolutely no one else takes it. He gives you the lowest amount of rusbux for poo poo.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

SoapyTarantula posted:

A lot of the fun in the game for me comes from going in with nothing/some poo poo shovel gun and coming out armed to the teeth.

Yep. I just managed my first extract after applying bladed objects to the backs of scav heads. Now I have some stuff to work with.

This is pretty much the DayZ experience distilled into something a little more structured. Complete with "Ah, I see you've found a weapon. But can you find a matching magazine and ammo?"

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
This game is awesome.

The frustration of taking in a fully kitted weapon, then losing it is insane. However, when it finally clicks, you'll realize how much fun this game is.

For reference, I'm running a GTX 970, 16gb DDR4 ram, i7 7700k and it's smooth as silk. I've experienced desync, but not at all as bad as some people complaining about it on the official forums. My biggest gripe about the game is the loving T1000 AI. Last patch they had it perfect, where the scavs would be tough, but fair. Now, they're still fair, but holy poo poo is it rough if you engage a group of 2 or 3 without a group of your own. You can pretty much hang it up. They'll flank, chuck grenades, hunt you down, and play very similar to a real player. The devs have stated that this was their goal, and they've absolutely achieved it. The only thing, again, is the insane accuracy on them. If you shoot at one and don't kill them, then down down to reload or whatever, when you come back up, if you haven't moved, that scav will be waiting to blow your head off. As far as I know, they've fixed the bushes issue where they could see you through them, but the biggest thing is you can't treat these AI like you treat AI in other games. They will loving punish you for even trying.

The gun customization is, bar none, some of the best in any game right now. You'll spend thousands just buying parts and seeing how they attach, what works, what doesn't, etc. Honestly, I've had a ton of fun for hours just buying random parts from the traders, kitting my stuff out, rinsing and repeating.

Speaking of traders, do yourselves a favor: level up Prapor and Peacekeeper. They're the only ones you'll actually need to level. Skiier is cool, but honestly, his poo poo at level 3 is the same as Peacekeeper's, but it's a loving slog to actually level him. Peacekeeper sells M4A1s at level 3. This is currently the best long rifle for maps like woods and shoreline. Stay the gently caress away from Fence if you're selling items, he'll rip you off hardcore. Only sell him poo poo that no one else will buy.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

Speaking of traders, do yourselves a favor: level up Prapor and Peacekeeper. They're the only ones you'll actually need to level. Skiier is cool, but honestly, his poo poo at level 3 is the same as Peacekeeper's, but it's a loving slog to actually level him. Peacekeeper sells M4A1s at level 3. This is currently the best long rifle for maps like woods and shoreline. Stay the gently caress away from Fence if you're selling items, he'll rip you off hardcore. Only sell him poo poo that no one else will buy.

I would say leveling Skier up at least once is worthwhile (though hard) because then you can buy soft body armor and tac vests. At max level, you can also get helmets from him, though they are of middling usefulness now that they no longer protect your face and a moderately-powered rifle round can punch right through them.

LPT on the quest to level Skier the first time: Don't start it until you have both items ready.

I literally cannot stop making bad financial decisions when janky survival-type games are involved, so I bought and played a few rounds. Some comments...

1. Don't take anything but your knife with you on your first runs. You're probably going to get brutally murdered over and over and lose everything. I managed to ambush a scav guy with my knife and took all his poo poo, so that's what I'd advise doing until you know what you're doing.

2. Looting is kind of involved. Any time you open a container (a box on the ground, some dude's pants, whatever), you wait for a progress bar to fill while you "search" the container. Then, anything in there you haven't seen before has to get examined, which is another progress bar. Mildly stressful when you're trying to go through a victim's gear while gunshots ring out nearby.

3. This is not a game for you if you can't cope with the idea of people spawning in with better stuff than you. I've played four rounds, and in four rounds I've been killed by other players who brought in more than I did. I think this is a good structural mechanic and provides a nice gameplay loop, but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea.

E: Absolutely has technical issues, though. Gameplay hasn't been fine for me so far, but whether I can launch the game is up to chance.

Factory with a hatchet, and be really really aggressive.

The alternative method works for any map. Spawn in, hide in a bush/corner/box and wait ~30 minutes. Most players and player scavs will be gone, and you can just kind of loot and fight the occasional AI. I did this early on and it worked reasonably well. I'd suggest either a Tokarev or a Makarov + ammo in your secure container.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.

Akion posted:

I would say leveling Skier up at least once is worthwhile (though hard) because then you can buy soft body armor and tac vests. At max level, you can also get helmets from him, though they are of middling usefulness now that they no longer protect your face and a moderately-powered rifle round can punch right through them.

LPT on the quest to level Skier the first time: Don't start it until you have both items ready.

Factory with a hatchet, and be really really aggressive.

The alternative method works for any map. Spawn in, hide in a bush/corner/box and wait ~30 minutes. Most players and player scavs will be gone, and you can just kind of loot and fight the occasional AI. I did this early on and it worked reasonably well. I'd suggest either a Tokarev or a Makarov + ammo in your secure container.

Is this how the servers work? based on all the times i spawned in to find a bunch of dead guys i wasnt sure if they just kept it going and kept adding people

Orv
May 4, 2011

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

Is this how the servers work? based on all the times i spawned in to find a bunch of dead guys i wasnt sure if they just kept it going and kept adding people

PMCs and player scavs spawn once, in two separate waves. AI scavs spawn repeatedly throughout the match in multiple waves.

With this information if you roll in a group of PMCs, based on the map capacity you can generally tell if you need to watch your back. Customs has seven PMCs max, and a group max of five. If you roll in a group of four and kill three other PMCs, you don't need to watch your back for other players, nominally anyway.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

When you start a raid, it'll tell you how long that raid lasts. In-game, hit O on your keyboard to see how long remains.

Orv hit the other salient points pretty well.

Best bet for this tactic is Customs or Factory. Woods/Shoreline are a bit more spread out. Once you learn where Scavs spawn/fights tend to happen, and where the extracts are it gets easier to find the remnants of fights.

I've had times where I found the aftermath of a fight where I came away with multiple M4's, helmets, etc... without firing a shot.

This also works as a Scav. Spawn, hide, wait. Do keep an eye on your hydration, though. I usually start moving around 60%.

Also, just realize that gear comes and goes. It doesn't do you any good just sitting in your stash. Take guns out, learn how they work, and get over the fear of losing stuff. It's the hardest part for new players, but IIRC I've played with you in other sorta similar games and you seemed to have a hang on it.

Akion fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 8, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Akion posted:

Peacekeeper sells PACAs at level 1. gently caress skiier. Lol

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Oh yeah if you happen to see a peculiar flying scav going 60 knots (especially on customs) I'm pretty sure that is a scav player spawning in at the map origin point before being repositioned to their actual spawn location.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Skier got a 12x scope added to his inventory today which should be a lot nicer to use than the only other serious scope (24x which is ridiculously unwieldy)

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I think I lost like... 4 M4's yesterday. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah.. a few days ago I had about 6 hours of constant bad luck and lost around 700k rubles worth of poo poo. :negative: Another reason why I prefer going in with as little gear as I can.

The 12x scope is really ridiculous enough that I can't see why you'd ever take the 24x. I don't really run with any of the magnified sights very often anyways. I'm not sure if they've changed it but last time I used the HAMR scope it had such bad scope shadow at higher FoV that it was almost unusable, as well as the the weirdly exaggerated front-end wobble that happens once you slap a sight onto a gun.