Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C-Euro posted:

Has Michigan been relevant since Bo died? Someone give me some outside perspective here.

I guess I don't know how you want to define relevant but they've been really good the last two years. They lost by 4 against a good team while playing in a monsoon and having terrible luck with turnovers, it's not the end of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Disrespect for the One True Team of Iowa :mad:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I hated legends and leaders because they only gave each team one permanent cross division game. Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin have a long standing Triangle of hate, but Iowa and Minnesota were in one division and Wisconsin was in the other so only one of those games could be an every year thing the way it was set up. Minnesota and Wisconsin are closer and have played for slightly longer so that one got protected while the generally way more competitive Iowa/Wisconsin rivalry died and was replaced with a completley random permanent matchup against loving Purdue that no one on either side understood or cared about. The current one is a mess competitively but at least does a better job protecting all the traditional rivalries people cared about, which I think was the intention, along with creating divisions people could actually remember (I know Iowa and Minnesota were in the Legends and Wisconsin was in leaders, otherwise I have no clue who was where).

The Pod thing SBNation writes up periodically would solve all these problems but alas will never happen because it makes too much sense

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

They'll never separate Ohio State and Michigan because they don't want to a) move the game from the final week and b) play two games in a row potentially between those two teams.

You're more likely to get Michigan State and Penn State on the same side with OSU/Penn St and Michigan/MSU always playing.

They were literally in separate divisions already. He was trying to guess who was in the legends and leaders (and not coming close at all fwiw)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Frankly, Leaf should've had 1 or 2 more seconds on the clock in the 98 Rose Bowl for a Hail Mary. They let that time peel off after the first down completion.

That seems like probably not a huge deal given the defense he was playing and the likelihood of Hail Marys working in general. Also Nebraska won a game that year on the Flea Kicker, which was both insanely lucky bullshit and against the rules, if you really want to play what ifs from 1997 (there is also a pretty decent chance they don't get enough coaches to change their minds and vote Nebraska 1st without Osborne announcing his retirement right before the bowl game)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 9, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jastiger posted:

ISU started in the top 25 I wanna say two years ago based on SoS and a late season win the prior year.

They haven't been ranked since week 5 of 2005. They briefly jumped into the polls that year after Drew Tate concussed himself like a dummy and they beat what was supposed to be a good Iowa team. The only preaseason ranking in the entire history of the program was in 1978.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/iowa-state/polls.html

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 10, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Harbaugh's QBs have been Rudock, Speight, and O'Korn

Yeesh

Rudock was genuinely really good in the second half of that season. All time great transfer that helped both teams.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dobbs was awesome in the second half of last year when they just said gently caress it and let him start bombing away

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It turns out looking bad against a QB you're unprepared for is pretty common

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jastiger posted:

Joel Lanning 4 Heisman

He is much better at linebacker than he has any right to be but man that dude is getting so hilariously overrated this week.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Spot Was Good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Aaron Rodgers should call his poor mom and also fall in a woodchipper

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

DIII football owns

First place in the meat grinder that is the IIAC, Go Norse, Bitch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tactlessbastard posted:

Should have ran the dang bawl, imho

My old team runs the triple option now and I am insanely jealous they didn't while I was there. Also they ripped off Boise's blue turf lol

E: well actually not ripped off I guess since they have a trademark on it and we had to get their permission but still

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 11, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jason White was really loving good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"lose with dignity" seemed sarcastic to me tbh

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Couch and David Carr were victims of expansion team rosters that might have been ok in a more stable system.

I think this is definitely true with Carr, but Couch also got outplayed by Kelly Holcomb regularly so eh. I think him going high was at least in part a result of people not totally knowing what to do with air raid guys yet.

Weinke had better passing numbers than Brees across the board and was missing Warrick for the Heisman year. He was loving awesome. And Ron Dayne is still the scariest opposing running back I've ever seen; he was like impossible to bring down one on one. Trying to retroactively fit Heisman results to how players turned out in the NFL is a very annoying thing people like to do.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 12, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sab0921 posted:

My wife's birthday this week - She wants basically only a date night on Saturday - How can I convince her that a good date night that she wants will be a bar where Texas-OU is playing and then going to the Astros-Yankees game?

Be a decent husband and go on the dang date, you're gonna have a bunch of other chances to watch Texas lose a football game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa added Northern Iowa to the schedule in 2020, that Big Ten ban on FCS games didn't last long. I would still much rather play like Akron or Bowling Green than a good FCS program filled almost entirely with local kids pissed off they didn't get an Iowa offer, but UNI has fallen off quite a bit recently so maybe they'll be bad in 2020. Our conference schedule that year is pretty brutal with Michigan State, at Penn State, and at OSU as the cross over games so I'm cool with a soft noncon.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I miss Gruden being a coach so I could hear announcers talk about some dingus with an 8 year old's haircut intimidating 300 pound linemen by making funny faces at them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
y'all getting fooled by fake twitter accounts in the age of blue checkmarks smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That player asked Dabo to baptize him and you root for Urban "God told me I had to coach you" Meyer

• Locked thread