Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Arizona gets one that most people had marked down as an L, Khalil Tate sets an FBS rushing record and throws competent passes, Richrod still has hope to stay alive, today is a good football Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

USF is getting way too much poll respect in the Amway poll.

https://twitter.com/American_FB/status/917076661706854400

I'm really curious about USF. I've been watching more polls this season to see how my nascent elo thing is lining up and like CBS loved these guys from the preseason, but I haven't seen a game yet.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
On Elo (note: I don't know what 538's Elo formula is so my results are different than theirs since I'm using a lightly adapted Elo meant for Settlers of Catan of all things, which might be less complex) UCF is ranked 33rd, but the more holistic formula (which is a loving mess, admittedly, since this is my first year trying this) has them at 18. Right now what's stopping them from being higher (hilariously they'd be ranked 1 based on one of the subformulas, but it's the one I have least faith in and also favors small samples) is lack of games and A General Consensus That Their Conference is Bad.

My eye test generally agrees with that consensus, but part of why I'm doing this is to over the years establish if the conference bias is legitimate or not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I've gotta agree. I was in love with the idea of the PAC-16 expansion, but it would have loving sucked looking back on it. It's cool as hell to build deeper competitive histories with schools like Iowa State and Kansas State and the rest of the conference instead of just having 5 we play every year and 10 other teams we see once every five years or whatever the PAC-16 system would have looked like.

Expansion/Conference Shuffle is always one of my favorite stories to follow, but I can't even imagine the system to make that work in a way that makes everyone happy. And like while it would of course work financially for them, the schools with weaker programs would really be hosed from a competitive standpoint, basically permabad. At least now there's some parity.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Alas, the Cougs fell to their greatest weakness, a team a lot worse than them.

• Locked thread