Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Thank you - I’ve been feeling kind of lost for several chapters now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I didn't realize all the male wizards had long hair and usually glasses until now.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Chapter 60: https://mangadex.org/chapter/723920

I'm not comfortable with how comfortable Stella is getting with Ashen Eye. You don't want to let your guard down around even the most diminutive neighbors, and here Stella is just leaning on this ancient force that was capable of overpowering even Elias.

Chise definitely still has a few of her worse tendencies. She shouldn't be blaming herself for Elias being too clingy. He's too clingy.

Also here's a bit of extra lore on the Each Uisge: An Each Uisge is pronounced ech-ooshkya, and might be the most dangerous of the water horses. It's skin is said to be adhesive, making it more difficult to escape once you mount it. Its other forms are a giant bird and a handsome man.

There's one story where its body actually grows longer to accommodate all of the children on its back.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Chapter 60: https://mangadex.org/chapter/723920

I'm not comfortable with how comfortable Stella is getting with Ashen Eye. You don't want to let your guard down around even the most diminutive neighbors, and here Stella is just leaning on this ancient force that was capable of overpowering even Elias.

Chise definitely still has a few of her worse tendencies. She shouldn't be blaming herself for Elias being too clingy. He's too clingy.

You are not alone, it's unnerving seeing Stella just casually reclining on Ashen Eye's head. It's like a kid keeping a sentient pet nuke with all the launch codes enabled as a pet

quote:

Also here's a bit of extra lore on the Each Uisge: An Each Uisge is pronounced ech-ooshkya, and might be the most dangerous of the water horses. It's skin is said to be adhesive, making it more difficult to escape once you mount it. Its other forms are a giant bird and a handsome man.

There's one story where its body actually grows longer to accommodate all of the children on its back.
I think it's relevant that we led with a waterhorse from scottish mythology because I think the creature from the end of the chapter is supposed to be a Nuckelavee which is the only centaur-like figure I could find in Celtic lore which springs from searching for more on waterhorses in Scottland. Which bodes ill because it's supposedly one of the nastier spirits out there.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Stella has kind of been a foil to Chise in that respect since she first showed up, hasn’t she?

If it wasn’t for Elias’ protective influence Chise would have gotten preyed on by Ashen Eye when they gave her the shifter skin. Stella has no one to protect her from the pact Ashen Eye forced her into, so I imagine part of why she is treating this genuinely terrifying faerie so flippantly is part of that. Chise has no idea and I imagine part of the pact requires Stella not to speak of it. Poor Stella.

Ashen Eye is gonna be the Big Bad of this series, I just know it. I want to see them out of that cloak because I have a hard time conceptualizing of how the humanoid and scorpion parts fit together. I do hope we get more background on Elias soon though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Elias is entirely justified in being as clingy as he is because Chise is a disaster magnet

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Brought To You By posted:

You are not alone, it's unnerving seeing Stella just casually reclining on Ashen Eye's head. It's like a kid keeping a sentient pet nuke with all the launch codes enabled as a pet

I think it's relevant that we led with a waterhorse from scottish mythology because I think the creature from the end of the chapter is supposed to be a Nuckelavee which is the only centaur-like figure I could find in Celtic lore which springs from searching for more on waterhorses in Scottland. Which bodes ill because it's supposedly one of the nastier spirits out there.

I think you're right about this creature's identity. I looked it up in my faerie book and one story about it mentions that it also has one eye.

Labes for days posted:

Stella has kind of been a foil to Chise in that respect since she first showed up, hasn’t she?

If it wasn’t for Elias’ protective influence Chise would have gotten preyed on by Ashen Eye when they gave her the shifter skin. Stella has no one to protect her from the pact Ashen Eye forced her into, so I imagine part of why she is treating this genuinely terrifying faerie so flippantly is part of that. Chise has no idea and I imagine part of the pact requires Stella not to speak of it. Poor Stella.

Ashen Eye is gonna be the Big Bad of this series, I just know it. I want to see them out of that cloak because I have a hard time conceptualizing of how the humanoid and scorpion parts fit together. I do hope we get more background on Elias soon though.

He's the most likely suspect to play that role for sure. Stella's in a really really sticky situation and I'm not sure how she's going to get out of it.

Captain Invictus posted:

Elias is entirely justified in being as clingy as he is because Chise is a disaster magnet

While this is true, I still don't think Chise should blame herself. But maybe blaming Elias was the wrong take too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I think you're right about this creature's identity. I looked it up in my faerie book and one story about it mentions that it also has one eye.
Could I get a title? I'm sorely lacking on reference books for mythology and folklore.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Yeah it is.

Chapter 61 translation has been done for a few weeks and it should be on the way soon, sorry about the delays

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Could I get a title? I'm sorely lacking on reference books for mythology and folklore.

"An Encyclopedia of Faeries", by Katharine Briggs. It's a very good book that goes over not just loads of faeries, but also stories, concepts, places, and people.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's dangerous to go alone Take this
Chise just can't catch a break with all these spirits, faeries, and curses can she?

Viridiant posted:

"An Encyclopedia of Faeries", by Katharine Briggs. It's a very good book that goes over not just loads of faeries, but also stories, concepts, places, and people.
I've had a chance to look through this (yay public libraries) and it's an amazing resource. A literal dictionary of creatures and very applicable for this series. Thanks. The one thing that had confused me about the Nukaleevee was that the position of the human portion seems to be placed towards the middle of the creature as if it's riding on a horse. But everything else lined up in the manga so it's nice to be able to suss things out purely because the art gives you the right information regardless of some differences.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Welp, a bump for an old chapter. In which Elias is well on his way to making a friend. RIP

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Bumping with an announcement that Yamazaki Kore is releasing a new manga next year.
https://twitter.com/magus_bride/status/1304038803049332738

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I have resurrected this thread with some good news. We're not getting a new season, but we are getting a three part original OAD.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/03/09-1/the-ancient-magus-bride-anime-to-conjure-up-original-3-part-oad-series

They also made a promotional video for the series. The first half is a recap of season 1, while the second half shows a bunch of animated scenes from the school arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZi6OzMNnYk

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yeah this is great news :3:

I thought it was a S2 and I got really excited but this better than nothing.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I kinda wanted to see Chise's grumpy roomie animated, but this is also good. ~

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm there's a school arc now? I do enjoy wizard schools but the only examples in anime I've seen have been crap like Irregular at Magic High School. This will probably be much better.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm not enjoying the school arc but that's mostly because there are so many new supporting characters and the manga stopped getting translated for a few months so I forgot practically everything about them. It would probably be much improved in anime form.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The sudden wave of scanlations helps, might have to pick up the official TL for volume 14 when it drops. Hogwarts arc is fine in my book, it's just slow for a while as the new cast has to get broken in.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Sindai posted:

I'm not enjoying the school arc but that's mostly because there are so many new supporting characters and the manga stopped getting translated for a few months so I forgot practically everything about them. It would probably be much improved in anime form.

If you search my post history in this thread I made a character chart for the school arc a while back. Dunno how out of date it is now but it's something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ccs posted:

Hmm there's a school arc now? I do enjoy wizard schools but the only examples in anime I've seen have been crap like Irregular at Magic High School. This will probably be much better.

If you want a good wizard school show, try Iruma-kun. It's incredibly wholesome.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah sorry I had a lot going on in my life (kinda still do) and Literally Hogwarts wasn't keeping my interest at all so when something had to go to keep my mental ship afloat it was this. Hope the new translations are good; a large part of the reason I started this in the first place was because the previous group's quality was godawful.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah sorry I had a lot going on in my life (kinda still do) and Literally Hogwarts wasn't keeping my interest at all so when something had to go to keep my mental ship afloat it was this. Hope the new translations are good; a large part of the reason I started this in the first place was because the previous group's quality was godawful.

New TLs seem fine overall but it's not an understatement to say that your translations are what got me into this series. Thanks for your work.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yeah I'm kinda glad it's a new story since the current magic school arc is pretty dull.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Ccs posted:

Little Witch Academia. It's Hogwarts via Studio Trigger. Awesome show.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ccs posted:

Just want to second the recommendations of little witch academia and Iruma-kun. Also if we're talking about manga,you might enjoy Mashle.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 76
The last chapter had some of the students undergoing a "Game of Courage" because they are all a bunch of english welps that have never done it before. I think it was a success overall and it's nice to know that even in a world where magic, monsters, and myths are actually real. There's still a place for killer sharks in places they don't belong.

I'm also seconding 'Mairimashita! Iruma-kun' if anyone is looking for magical school shenanigans. That series is incredibly good.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I just started watching Iruma Kun. Goddamn hilarious.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Finally moved on from the magical school arc and I'm actually looking forward to the OVAs which will be out ... someday.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The most recent chapter is funny in a dark way because one person, one werewolf mother, one curse remnant of a man, and a literal GOD are all trying to kill one person and each person has a greater claim

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/mahoyomeproject/status/1566758903270227969

Season 2 was announced for Spring 2023

Alder fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 6, 2022

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I was not expecting this!

Wizard school arc that beats JK's crap in every way, goooo!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Chapter
College arc is over and the story is going on Hiatus as the author takes some R&R and preps for the next arc titled the 'Beast Arc'.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Good that there's a new arc, and that we're not going to see another author basically work themselves into physical/mental breakdown.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Wouldn't be surprised if the break is also to consult on the anime somewhat though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

If anyone is into nendo they are making a S2 version of Chise and Elias for sale:

I mention this because Elias has been scalped to hell and back for several years so new fans can finally add him to their collection for a good price.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I watched the 1st ep of S2 and I forgot how much I missed Elias :shobon:

Also, I admit I had mostly forgotten the magical college arc so I'm excited to see how it will be adapted in the anime.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I had trouble keeping track of all the students from month to moth, should be much easier in color and weekly.

Also caterpillar nurse is the best.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Blue flame is back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Aww... I can't believe it's already after the halfway point of S2. I liked all the anime episodes so far and that tiny magical lizard was cute in class and now a camping trip :3:

Although I admit I stopped reading all of shojo for a while now I still like how they portrayed the romance in the main couple's interactions without any kind of toxicity.