Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
There's a framing around the OVA set in 'present-day' with Chise and Elias being on good terms and him obviously caring for her, so in that sense it certainly drains the tension of the first anime episode since you already know why Elias is buying her and that his intentions are good. So I think maybe it would be better to at least wait until after watching episode 1 before going to the OVA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Genocyber posted:

Elias Ainsworth (CV: Ryouta Takeuchi)
Ains-sama

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Everyone should watch the OVA, it's really well done and helps contextualize Chise's mindset at the beginning of the show.

I'm in agreement here. If I didn't watch the OVA first, I would have been really uncomfortably blindsided by the opening of episode 1. After seeing Chise's past in the OVA, it makes a lot more sense. :smith:

Show is A+ for me so far, absolutely watching the whole thing.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I like it because he looks like Snoopy when it happens

Tarezax posted:

Elias is secretly a moe character

:hai:

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Seems like they could have excised slavery entirely and still achieved what it was going for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

Seems like they could have excised slavery entirely and still achieved what it was going for.

Not really. It sets out that Chise is severely self-destructive, and that the broader magical community is not a very nice place. Both of these will be important going forwards.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
There are multitudes of other ways of showing a character is self destructive my dude.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I mean, this is talking about things to come but: it comes up plot-wise later, and you'd have to do some re-writing of Elias' and Chise's relationship if you did. For the plot of The Ancient Magus' Bride, you actually could not have the same story without starting it off like it does.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This only changes the context slightly, but I thought it was clear that she wasn't being sold as a slave, but as a collector 's item. An exotic pet. No one was expecting to get actual work out of her, they just wanted to own a rare and valuable sleigh beggy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Clarste posted:

This only changes the context slightly, but I thought it was clear that she wasn't being sold as a slave, but as a collector 's item. An exotic pet. No one was expecting to get actual work out of her, they just wanted to own a rare and valuable sleigh beggy.

That's still pretty much a slave though? I mean does it really matter what she was intended to do if she was still in bondage?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

There are multitudes of other ways of showing a character is self destructive my dude.

Not many others that show the great and the good of her new world happily going along with her self-destruction, though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Periodic reminder that Depiction Is Not Necessarily Endorsement

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I'm trying to articulate my feelings on the matter and they boil down to approval at the way the relationship is handled. On the surface yeah, "slave-wife" is ewww. In the larger story, I'm glad that the power imbalance never devolves into some Twilight poo poo with Chise just biting her lip and going along with the things Elias does that she doesn't agree with, having no opinions or agency. Especially in that most recent chapter, drat.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's still pretty much a slave though? I mean does it really matter what she was intended to do if she was still in bondage?

Large spoiler in regards to nature of the auction
She was auctioned exotic magical specimen, with all that implies, Elias actually keeping her alive is regarded as unusual

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Yak of Wrath posted:

Large spoiler in regards to nature of the auction
She was auctioned exotic magical specimen, with all that implies, Elias actually keeping her alive is regarded as unusual

On the bright side, she was entitled to a share of her price--assuming she didn't just get broken down for parts.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Spiritus Nox posted:

Periodic reminder that Depiction Is Not Necessarily Endorsement

Does the story engage with the topic of institutionalised slavery or human trafficking beyond cheap shock value? Because from what has been said in the thread it seems doubtful.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blank Construct posted:

Does the story engage with the topic of institutionalised slavery or human trafficking beyond cheap shock value? Because from what has been said in the thread it seems doubtful.

I don't know because I've only watched the first episode, but I am prepared to give an anticipated show more than ~25 minutes to make its case

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Blank Construct posted:

I literally just said it does, yes.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Good. Will it occur within the span of the show?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe

stay with me on this one

you should watch the show

before deciding whether or not the show is good or naming the precise ways in which it is or is not good

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Stay with me on this one: Maybe I've seen enough things that have handled this topic poorly that I have little patience for waffling. Media does not exist in a vacuum.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I don't even know how long this is gonna be, whether it's 13 or 26 episodes or whatever. If it's 24-26 then probably? If it's only 13 then the only thing that'll come up is exactly what Chise is to Elias, which is a complicated thing.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I would be okay if they focused on her improving life with the magic skeleton instead of her terrible past that led her to literally give up on functioning independently. Like, I'm pretty sure I don't need this story to address slavery as an issue in the world.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Hmm bit of a shame it takes that long. I hope it runs for the full 26 then. Thanks for elaborating.

E:I'd be perfectly fine with the sentiment above, but the fact one of the main characters is subject to slavery/human trafficking in the first episode kinda hangs over the show a bit.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 12, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Does it though? It's not like mind-blowing thing to know that kind of thing exists in the world and it works decently to imply things about her past and mental state while also getting her in contact with snoopy skeleton

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
It's a pretty heavy real world thing to bring up in a fantasy show about a young woman and a giant skeleton man learning to be friends.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I'm so glad this guy is here to continuously post about how he won't watch the series because a single plot point is problematic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blank Construct posted:

It's a pretty heavy real world thing to bring up in a fantasy show about a young woman and a giant skeleton man learning to be friends.

Maybe the whole reason the woman/skeleton friendship is powerful is because of the heavy poo poo that hangs over the path she took to reach that point

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
E: Ah that was a longwinded and lovely response. I don't think introducing slavery was particularly necessary esp in the first episode, but I do hope it doesn't leave those elements hanging in an otherwise interesting show going by the first episode and the information presented in this thread. Mea Culpa.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 13, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Selling herself into slavery is a pretty good way to establish that Chise considers the lives of those around her priceless and her own to be worthless. This fact is going to come up again and again and is pretty friggin important to her overall character arc in the show.

Also being bought by Elias is probably the one time in her life being a sleih beggey hasn't caused her an endless amount of poo poo.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I think my objection lies with the broader institution and Elias' complicity not really being developed after the opening, but it'll get there eventually I suppose.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah tbh I'd be interested to see what Elias' relationship with the magical(?) slave trade is too, not going to say it's hanging over the show or anything but I'm curious

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well everyone was surprised that he showed up, so I'd imagine he's totally uninvolved with it but connected enough within magic society to hear about a sleigh beggy being put up for auction. And also to be recognized as the deer skull guy.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
I feel the need to inform everyone that Elias's head is actually a dog's skull.

He hasn't got canines for nothin'.

(From the Volume 2 extras)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I feel the need to inform everyone that Elias's head is actually a dog's skull.

He hasn't got canines for nothin'.

(From the Volume 2 extras)

good doggy :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blank Construct posted:

I think my objection lies with the broader institution and Elias' complicity not really being developed after the opening, but it'll get there eventually I suppose.

Look

Looooook

Just trust us when we say read the manga or watch the show. Things do get addressed. The magical realm and humans who interact with it aren't painted as morally righteous people a lot of the time, hell, most of the time. Stop posting if all you are going to do is grouse about potentialities that people have repeatedly tried to be vague about in answering, otherwise you can just go read a wiki.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
:cripes:

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Im going to go against the grain and say that even though its a cool manga youre probably not going to get what youre looking for. "If engagement with real world sociopolitical issues you desire, watch the show the wire / If instead fairies and interpersonal relationships you decide, check out ancient magus bride"

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Clarste posted:

They're getting work out of her in the sense that she's a really powerful rare magic battery

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Blank Construct posted:

A bunch of civilians are gonna get gorily murdered in the course of the story of a young woman and her huge skeleton dad so

e: I'm surprised by how widespread the handwringing over this is though. Did you all gag and refuse to watch stuff like GoT and Berserk too?

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
those things aren't the same at all lol